8 grrrrrreat Toronto events

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Jun 13 22:52:35 EDT 2007

New Nuclear Danger with Helen Caldicott
Brunswick Theatre (Brunswick and Bloor)
Thur.  June 14, 7 pm
Free

Dr. Caldicott has become world famous for her anti-nuclear activism. As
she likes to say, in the late 1970s, she started talking about the dangers
of nuclear war as a physician. She said most Americans responded, "it's
better to be dead, than red." So she started talking about the actual
medical effects of nuclear war. She helped revive the Physicians for
Social Responsibility. She was later nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
Caldicott's views on the nuclear industry were featured in the 1982 film
If You Love This Planet, which was produced by the National Film Board of
Canada. Although it won an Academy Award, the U.S. Department of Justice
declared the film political propaganda and monitored its distribution.
Her latest book is 'The New Nuclear Danger: George Bush's Military
Industrial Complex'.

full theatre info at
<http://www.brunswicktheatre.ca>http://www.brunswicktheatre.ca

9/11 MYSTERIES

Part I: Demolitions
<http://www.911weknow.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=31>http://www.911weknow.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=31

Thursday June 14
7PM
Bloor Cinema
( Bloor @ Bathurst  )

Special Speakers:
Barrie Zwicker
Graeme MacQueen
Michael Keefer

$10. ( $5. for Seniors, Students, & Unwaged )

ELECTORAL SYSTEMS: POLICY INFLUENCES, IMPACTS AND IMPLICATIONS

DATE: Monday, June 18, 2007, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m. (Registration 6 p.m.)
PLACE: Rogers Communications Centre, 80 Gould Street, Room 204
CONFIRM ATTENDANCE: shorsley at cprn.org

Ontario is about to decide whether to adopt a new electoral system.
Following on their learning, public consultation and deliberation phases,
the Ontario Citizens Assembly has tabled a recommendation for a Mixed
Member Proportional (MMP) electoral system.  On October 10th the Ontario
public will decide whether to stay with the existing system or choose MMP.

CPRN and Ryerson University are pleased to host a Public Forum on Monday
June 18th at the Eaton Lecture Theatre (RCC204), Ryerson University,
Toronto to discuss the possible policy impacts, influences and
implications that may be associated with different electoral systems
(current Single Member Plurality versus the proposed Mixed Member
Proportional).  We would like to invite you to come learn more about this
aspect of electoral reform and add your voice to the conversation.

MODERATOR:
Matthew Mendelsohn (DM, Ontario Ministry of Intergovernmental Affairs and
Democratic Renewal)

PANEL:
Sean Conway, Associate Director, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations,
Queen's University
Andrew Coyne, Columnist, National Post
Marcel Lauzière, President, Canadian Council on Social Development
Judy Rebick, CAW-Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice and Democracy, Ryerson
University
Nelson Wiseman, Professor, Dept. of Political Science, University of Toronto

Takeover and Sleep Out at Nathan Phillips Square

Monday June 18 - Tuesday June 19 2007
* Dinner on Monday Night at 6:00pm
* Breakfast Tuesday Morning at 9:00am

This month as City Council meets and the City prepares for the summer
festival season OCAP will host a camp-out and re-occupation of Nathan
Phillips Square.  In the morning City Council will hear loud and clear the
truth about Streets to Homes and their program of social cleansing.

We need:
-People ready to participate and spend the night
-Sleeping Bags, Mats, blankets and tarps
-Performers and film enthusiasts to help out with the overnight
entertainment
-organizational endorsements

Why Are We Sleeping Out At City Hall?
The “progressive” majority on City Council want us to buy Streets to Homes
as the solution to the housing crisis and to the problems of poor
communities in general.  The City needs everyone to accept that people are
finding housing; otherwise we might start to wonder why less new housing
is being built than even what the City itself says we need.  We might
question why that same “progressive” majority banned people from sleeping
in Nathan Phillips Square two years ago.  We might start worrying about
the 300 shelter beds due to shut down in the downtown east-end.  We might
get angry about the cuts to services providing people with food, shelter,
health care and other necessities.

The facts on the ground are that Streets to Homes is about moving people
out of the downtown into private market housing spread across the city
where they will be cut off from social networks, services and most
importantly where they will not be visible.  The Streets to Homes program
is about creating the illusion that homelessness is solved even before any
new housing gets created.  This illusion is then used as a pretext for
shutting down essential services.

Streets to Homes and the shelter and service cuts that come with it must
be fought!

Please Get Involved!

For more information call OCAP at 416 925 6939

from: Paradigm Shift Environmental Alliance - PSEA
Contact: Ivona Vujica, Coordinator   psea4earth at gmail.com

Let's keep holding McGuinty's feet to the coal-fired heat!

Please come out to very important PSEA upcoming Direct Action.

We have together done a lot - much more needs doing.  Premier McGuinty
will be at the Ontario-US  largest conference on  Environment/Energy June
19-20
<http://www.eeco2007.com/index.cfm?section=events#omb>http://www.eeco2007.com/index.cfm?section=events#omb
We will be there to greet them.

Dalton McGuinty will be giving keynote speech during lunch hour on June 20
'07 - Energy Minister Dwight Duncan will be giving keynote speech
lunchtime June 19th as well, Environment Minister Laurel Broten will be
there.
--

Tuesday June 19 @12 noon
Protest Coal-Fired & PEC plants

--
Wednesday June 20 @12 noon
Protest Coal-Fired & PEC plants
Anti-Smog/Global Warming/Shut down Ont. Coal-fired plants
metro toronto convention centre, Front Street

--

Also don't forget the weekly vigils every Tuesday 10 - 11 am at OPG
(Ontario power Authority) building, SW corner of University and College,

ANSWERS ARE NOT IN SMOKESTACKS

"We want ... Better Solutions to Global Warming and Climate Change than
Nukes and Fossil Fuels. "

OPIRG and Bikechain present...

A Basic Bike Maintenance and Repair Workshop
Thursday, June 21st
6:30 PM
Bikechain is located in the basement of the International Student
Centre at 33 St. George, north entrance, down the stairs

Learning how to repair your bicycle is an empowering and useful skill.
Not only can you save money by avoiding shops, you also won't be
stranded somewhere due to a minor problem.

This workshop will teach you how to:

-Fix a flat
-Adjust your brakes
-Clean your bike and the basics of how bikes work. This free hands-on
workshop

The workshop will also give a brief overview of how a bicycle works
and what to look for when buying a bike.

Registration is limited to 8 people and their bikes. Email
opirg.toronto at utoronto.ca or bikechain at utoronto.ca to register.

--
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of
the human

Bikechain
International Student Centre (North side)
33 St. George
Toronto, Ontario
416-978-6849
bikechain at utoronto.ca

OPIRG - Toronto
563 Spadina Ave.
416-978-7770
www.opirguoft.org
opirg.toronto at utoronto.ca

Escape From Suburbia

Official world premiere: Toronto
June 28, Bloor Cinema, 506 Bloor Street W
The curtain rises at 7:00 p.m. sharp!

Join director Gregory Greene and producer Dara Rowland for this special
performance.

Tickets may be purchased in advance on the site below, starting June 8 or
at the Bloor Cinema box office the day of the show from 5:45 p.m. All
reserved tickets will be held at the theatre box office on June 28 after
5:45 p.m.

You may purchase DVDs with screening tickets either on line or at the
theatre. DVDs will also be on sale inside the theatre prior to the
screening.

Healing troubled waters:
Dr. Emoto hosts "Water for World Peace"

The scientist who proved that water has the ability to respond to human
emotion and intention, Dr. Masaru Emoto, will host a magical water and
sound ceremony  in celebration of "Water for World Peace", from 6 pm - 8
pm on Sunday, July 1st , on the poolside terrace,  Radisson Admiral Hotel,
249 Queens Quay, Toronto, AND towards Lake Ontario.

Another  highlight of the ceremony will be the „birthing‰ of a water drum
in the pool, a beautiful and deeply meaningful ritual.  Dr. Emoto‚s
fascinating presentation will also feature a number of well-known
musicians and sound healers, including native Juno award recipient Brenda
McIntyre, David Hickey,  Gary Diggins, Pam Gerrard, Eden Martin, William
Pipler, Diana Athelton, Craig Trendell, and Colette Ryder, as well as the
event‚s organizer, Bree Leggett.  The ceremony to heal Lake Ontario will
be led by both Dr Emoto and Pam Gerrard.

"Let‚s celebrate Canada Day and Water For World Peace together," says Dr.
Emoto. "We love water; we respect water; we thank water; we are ALL water;
we are ALL ONE."  His delightful ceremony for peace  reflects the guidance
he was given through his research, outlined in his best selling books
 (Messages from Water,  The Hidden Messages in Water, and The True Power
of Water), and coincides with his intent to teach children how to heal
waters of the world through his „Emoto Project‰.

Prior to the poolside celebration, the world-renowned author and water
researcher will give a highly informative workshop from 11 am till 4 pm,
describing in detail his incredible discoveries about the properties of
water, and what they mean to the earth.

This event is promoted in conjunction with David Hickey‚s Crystal Journey,
to be presented on June 7th  (Toronto) and  8th (Hamilton).  David will
also be collaborating with his friends in creating a musical backdrop for
the July 1 ceremony.

(30)

Media contact:  Marcus Schwartz
                        marcu<mailto:marcusmediapr at yahoo.ca>smediapr at yahoo.ca
                       416 410 1119 or cell 647 899 7886

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

ABOUT DR EMOTO:

Masaru Emoto was born in July 1943 and graduated from the Yokohama
Municipal University, Department of Humanities and Sciences with a focus
on International Relations. In 1992, he received a certification from the
Open International University as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine.
His discoveries and ground breaking research used high-resolution
photographs of frozen water crystals which proved that water is capable of
memorizing, retaining, and relaying many types of information through our
thoughts, prayer, written and spoken word, and music.
<http://www.hado.net./>www.hado.net.

ABOUT THE EMOTO PROJECT:

Dr. Emoto is President & Emeritus of the International Water of Life
Foundation, a  not-for-profit organization.  His Emoto Project provides
children all over the world  a children‚s version of Messages from Water -
Messages From Water to Children.  This free publication
is only available during the United Nations International Decade For
Action: Water for Life (2005-2015). Dr. Emoto wants children to learn
that once they understand their own true nature, which is water-based (the
human body is composed of  75% water), they can heal the waters of the
world through their intent, and simultaneously represent an international
symbol for peace.

WORKSHOP: 11am - 4pm, admission $60. Ceremony & workshop $70.  Ceremony
only, $15, with „whole‰ water included for all participants. Musically
inclined?  You‚re invited to bring your own instrument! Contact
<mailto:Bree at 1-888-353>Bree at 1-888-353 0843.  View
flyer:  <http://www.waterforworldpeace.com/>www.waterforworldpeace.com

ABOUT DAVID HICKEY and Friends:
Crystal Journey performs at 8 pm on July 7th at the Music Gallery in
Toronto  and on July  8th  at  the  Unity Church in  Hamilton, in addition
to providing musical background for the water healing ceremony on July 1st
with Dr. Emoto.
 <http://www.crystaljourney.com/>www.crystaljourney.com   <http://www.garydiggins.com/>www.garydiggins.com
  <http://www.pamgerrand.com/>www.pamgerrard.com
<http://www.getbutterflied.com/>www.getbutterflied.com

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in

--
greenspiration at web.ca