New Drug War looms -- and go see Sicko

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri Jul 6 18:00:43 EDT 2007

If you haven't seen Michael Moore's new film Sicko yet, GO!
<http://www.michaelmoore.com/>www.michaelmoore.com
I laughed, I cried. It's fantastic -- effective, informative,
entertaining, and critical. It's about public vs. private health care
systems. With the debate raging in Canada, it's sure to stir up concern,
as it should.

And below, a good update on the direct-to-consumer drug advertising
challenge in Canada.
-a
-----

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_health_news_details.asp?news_id=21848&news_channel_id=131&channel_id=131

New drug war looms

Provided by: Sun Media
Written by: MINDELLE JACOBS
Jul. 6, 2007

Now that the Supreme Court of Canada has upheld our tobacco advertising
restrictions, the next giant court battle -- over prescription drug
marketing -- is around the corner.

Cross-examination of expert witnesses is set to begin this fall in a
constitutional challenge that pits CanWest MediaWorks Inc. against a
coalition of health, consumer and union groups.

CanWest, which owns a string of newspapers, as well as Global Television,
wants the ban on so-called direct-to-consumer advertising (DTCA) of
prescription drugs removed, arguing that it's a violation of freedom of
expression.

The coalition, which includes the Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions,
the Canadian Union of Public Employees and the Women and Health Protection
advocacy group, is fighting to maintain the existing advertising
limitations and has been granted intervener status in the case.

Last week's tobacco decision by the Supreme Court augers well for the
coalition, says lawyer Steven Shrybman, who is acting for the group.

"The court has acknowledged (in the tobacco case) that in the interests of
protecting public health, governments may be justified in encroaching on
free speech rights."

Some may not realize it, with the constant patter of drug ads on U.S.
television stations, but such marketing is not allowed in Canada. Here,
ads can mention the name of the drug but not what it's for. Or ads can
discuss a medical condition without naming a specific brand.

Some argue we might as well loosen our regulations on prescription drug
advertising since we're already swamped with American ads anyway.

But author and Harvard University faculty member Dr. John Abramson, a key
witness for the coalition, warns Canadians not to go down that road.

Patients aren't able to critically assess reams of drug-related
information, and liberal drug marketing rules in the U.S. have inflated
the demand for new prescription drugs, Abramson says in his recently filed
affidavit.

Abramson, author of the 2004 book Overdosed America, also points to the
increasing control that drug companies have over medical research,
publishing and medical education.

Most clinical trials in the U.S. are now funded by drug companies, he says.

And drug companies have the ability to control the data because they hire
the research firms that do the work.

"This has created a danger to patients, as results of clinical trials can
be spun to favour the interests of corporate sponsors, exaggerating
benefits and minimizing adverse effects," he says in his affidavit.

As if that's not scary enough, there's compelling evidence that
health-care costs will skyrocket if the DTCA ban is lifted.

If, over the last decade, Canada had permitted the kind of advertising
that is common in the U.S., and if per capita expenditures on prescription
drugs had risen as much here as they did in the U.S., Canadian
expenditures would be $10 billion higher per year, University of British
Columbia pharmaceutical researcher Steven Morgan noted earlier this year
in the online medical journal Open Medicine.

That's enough to pay the annual salaries of 40,000 doctors, he added.

Curiously, Rx&D, the group that represents Canada's drug manufacturers, is
not challenging the DTCA ban.

"This issue is not a priority for the industry," says spokesman Francois
Lessard,

For CanWest, it's obviously all about the potential for huge ad revenue.

CanWest just wants some of the pie, says Shrybman.

That revenue pie, however, would poison our health-care system. Let drug
companies market all they want -- to doctors, not patients.

--

(note from Angela:  The concluding paragraph is misinformed, in my view.
Marketing to doctors is a big part of the problem and should also be

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in