cars; greensumption; gardasil; adverse reactions doubled

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Sep 12 00:14:30 EDT 2007

DRIVING DREAMS (part 2)
Thursday September 13 at 9pm on CBC-TV

Driving Dreams is about our never-ending love affair with the car - how
the car of our dreams is created and marketed - a tale of technology and
psychology, hot design versus the bottom line.
Cars are racing into China * creating jobs, making millionaires,
changing lives * and fueling ambitions of world economic dominance.
This episode takes us shopping for a car in Beijing with the Rens, a
young couple who can't wait to own one.
http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/drivingdreams.html

========================

Advertising 'green' cars banned in Norway

OSLO / No car can be "green," "clean" or "environmentally friendly,"
according to some of the world's strictest advertising guidelines set to
go into force in Norway next month.

"Cars cannot do anything good for the environment except less damage than
others," Bente Oeverli, a senior official at the office of the state run
Consumer Ombudsman, told Reuters on Thursday.

Carmakers such as Toyota, General Motor's Opel, Mitsubishi, Peugeot
Citroen, Saab and Suzuki had all used phrases this year in advertisements
that the watchdog judged misleading, she said.

========================

International Car Free Day is Sept 22
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Free_Days>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Free_Days

Car Free Day in Canada - Sierra Club of Canada
<http://www.carfreeday.ca>http://www.carfreeday.ca

How to Stage a Car-Free Day in Your Community
<http://www.carfreeday.ca/PDF/CFD_HowTo.pdf>http://www.carfreeday.ca/PDF/CFD_HowTo.pdf

========================

Catch this YouTube video called Greensumption, a satirical look at how
buying green (ie. hybrid cars, ethanol fuel, bigger "efficient" houses,
organic food flown across the world) will just dig us deeper. Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i79a1Sr73uw

========================

Lock up your daughters Gardasil is on the loose
by Alan Cassels
Common Ground, Sept. 2007

It’s September and as our kids shuffle out the door to face the teachers,
the books and the peer pressure, we parents have another thing to worry
about: An aggressive public health campaign gearing up to bully us parents
into getting our girls to roll up their sleeves for a good dose of
prevention.

read complete article here:
http://commonground.ca/iss/0709194/cg194_cassels.shtml

========================

Deaths, adverse side-effects linked to drugs rise: study

Monday, September 10, 2007
CBC News

The number of deaths and serious adverse side-effects related to
prescription drugs more than doubled in the U.S. between 1997 and 2005,
according to a study published Monday in the Archives of Internal
Medicine.

read complete article here:
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/09/10/drug-reactions.html

(note: It's estimated that just 1% of adverse reactions are reported)

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in