Toronto eco/justice events, films and demos

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Nov 5 09:10:28 EST 2007

Check out Toronto's documentary theatre,
at the corner of Brunswick and Bloor. They've got some excellent
presentations and flicks this month, as always...

Complete listings at: [http://www.brunswicktheatre.ca]

Some highlights:

1) Avi Lewis speaks on Occupied Factories in Argentina
2) Olivia Chow presents Breaking Ranks, a film about War Resisters
3) Qallunaat! - Why White People Are Funny - filmmaker will be present
4) Jaurez - The City Where Women are Disposable
5) Debunking Climate Change Deniers - a talk by U of T prof Danny Harvey
6) Wal-Mart Nation - the theatrical premier of a new film on Wal-Mart
7) Refugees of a Blue Planet - a new film about the impact of climate change
8) Guns, Germs & Steel - a documentary based on the book by Jared Diamond
9) The Price of Sugar - a new film about the plight of Haitian workers on
sugar
fields in the Dominican Republic
10) Loose Change Final Cut - the Canadian theatrical premier of the final
version of Loose Change

Please visit our website at www.brunswicktheatre.ca
[http://www.brunswicktheatre.ca] for more information about each film, and
to view the rest of our programming for November.

Thank you for your support!

Brunswick Theatre
296 Brunswick at Bloor

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Malalai Joya speaks in Toronto
"Women and war in Afghanistan"

A special public forum featuring Afghan MP, Malalai Joya

"Today we need security and liberation, but in the name of security, the
foreign troops deprived us of our liberation. We need international
support, but we don't want occupation." - Malalai Joya

Featuring:
Malalai Joya: Member of the Loya Jirga, Afghanistan's parliament

Other speakers:
Peggy Nash: Member of Parliament for Parkdale - High Park (New Democratic
Party)
Carolyn Egan: President, Steelworkers' Toronto Area Council
Ausma Malik: Vice-president Equity, University of Toronto Students' Union
(2006-07)

Tuesday, November 6, 7:00pm
Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil Street
(1 block south of College, 1.5 blocks east of Spadina)

Tickets available at the door:
$10 adult, $5 students, seniors and unwaged

Parking available in rear parking lot.
Multi-faith prayer space available on site.

Malalai Joya, 28, is the youngest member of the Afghan Parliament. She was
elected to the Wolesi Jirga in September 2005, winning the second highest
vote in Farah province. She has been the target of numerous death threats
because of her outspoken criticism of warlords and drug lords in
the central government. She was expelled from parliament on May 21, 2007
following an interview in which she publicly criticized the human rights
abuses of her co-parliamentarians.

Malalai is currently on a speaking tour in Canada. She will make her first
and only appearance in Toronto on November 6.

Malalai Joya speaks on women's rights in Afghanistan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmWcw5eJ_A

Malalai Joya speaks on warlords in Hamid Karzai's government
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO7Zpm6mySo

Malalai Joya speaks on Canada's role in Afghanistan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOb6ASTOZB4
(If you can't click on the link directly, just cut-and-paste it into the
address line for URLs)

The Toronto Coalition to Stop the War is Toronto's city-wide anti-war
coalition, comprised of more than fifty labour, faith and community
organizations, and a member of the Canadian Peace Alliance.
www.nowar.ca   stopthewar at sympatico.ca   416-795-5863

Please donate! Send a cheque or money order payable to TCSW Canada to:
TCSW, 427 Bloor St W, Box 13, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1X7

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toxic Trespass
Thursday, November 8 @ 6:30pm & 8:30pm
NFB Cinema
150 John St., Toronto, ON
Free screenings

Intrepid filmmaker Barri Cohen's investigation into toxic chemicals and
what they’re doing to the health of our children. Moving, empowering and
leavened with wry humour, Toxic Trespass is essential viewing for anyone
concerned about the effects of pollutants on our very DNA.

Director and writer: Barri Cohen
Producers: Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg, Mehernaz Lentin, Anita Lee

80 minutes

The creators of Toxic Trespass are looking for partners to host screenings
of this important film in communities across the country, during the
fall/winter 2007. Are you part of an organization that would like access
to this film? Feeling inspired to get the word out about the dangers of
toxic chemicals? Want to help others take action? To know more about
organizing a screening in your community, contact
<mailto:toxictrespass at nfb.ca>
<mailto:toxictrespass at nfb.ca>toxictrespass at nfb.ca

For more information on the film
visit <http:`/www.nfb.ca/toxictrespass>www.nfb.ca/toxictrespass

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rendezvous with Madness Film Festival  Nov. 8-17
at the Workman Theatre  1001 Queen St. W
Check out the complete program here:
http://www.rendezvouswithmadness.com/

Regular tickets are $10 and can be purchased in advance at
www.ticketweb.ca or at the door one hour prior to screening.
Pay-What-You-Can (suggested minimum $2) is offered to those unable to pay
the regular price.

RWM explores the facts and mythologies of mental illness and addiction.
Each program focuses on a different theme.  After the films, we host a
panel discussion involving the filmmakers, artists and people with
professional and personal experience with mental health care.  People like
you. We hope you will join us and share your perspective.

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The film and discussion series Reel Activism presents Sacha Trudeau’s film
on Security Certificates:

"Secure Freedom"

followed by a discussion with Matthew Behrens of the Campaign to Stop
Secret Trials in Canada,  who will discuss the current state of those
affected by security certificates and explore the new legislation that is
designed to preserve secret trials  even after the Supreme Court of Canada
found them unconstitutional in February.

Friday, November 9th: 7 p.m.
Bloor Street United Church * (upstairs) Chapel
300 Bloor St. West
2 blocks E. of Spadina at Huron St.

Free, Donations for church expenses will be gratefully accepted

Presented by the Social Justice Committee of Bloor Street United Church
For more information, call: 416 966 2815

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join in the Baby Rally at Queen's Park!
Family fun rally to end toxic chemicals in baby bottles...

with Environmental Defence

Tuesday, November 20, 2007
12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Queen's Park front lawn (north of Queen's Park subway station)

for more info: 416 323 9521 222
cpolyzou at environmentaldefence.ca
www.toxicnation.ca

Join us for a fun filled afternoon at a rally to ban toxic chemicals in
baby bottles. Bring your babies and old baby bottles! Listen to music,
speakers, and warm up with hot apple cider!

We're going to send a message to Queen's Park and we want your support!

Visit www.ToxicNation.ca for event details and info on toxic chemicals.

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Politics of Food

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 20, 2007

7:00-7:30 pm  Displays in Lobby . 7:30-9:30 pm  Panel Discussion

FREE ADMISSION

St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
27 Front Street East, Toronto
2 blocks east of Union Station
416-366-1656 . <http://forum.stlc.com/>http://forum.stlc.com
Join our e-list: <mailto:subscribeforum at stlc.com>subscribeforum at stlc.com

Organized by:
St. Lawrence Centre Forum
Toronto Public Health

The idea that our global food system needs to be changed is taking hold in
a very local way. Farmers are protesting high costs and low prices, health
conscious restaurants are increasingly popular, some supermarkets are
displaying local produce, lean and additive-free meat and organic produce
is being sold in outdoor markets, people from all cultures are planting
gardens, and citizens are demanding more from their governments and
agri-corporations to protect the environment and human health.

Many of us, though, can't avoid the quick fix of convenience foods and the
high-calorie, low-nutrition diet of food court fare. French fries are the
number one vegetable consumed in Canada at an average of 115 lbs per
person a year! If we know that fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and less
meat are what our bodies need for basic good health, why are we not all
eating better? And what about our children? We can encourage good habits
at home but how do we compete with the mass marketing of junk food
messages?

with:

California based Michele Simon, author of Appetite for Profit: How the
Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back; Bill Jeffery,
LLB, National Coordinator of the Centre for Science in the Public
Interest, a health advocacy group focusing on nutrition and food safety
which also publishes Nutrition Action Healthletter; Patrick Habamenshi,
development economist with FarmStart, an organization that integrates new
Canadian farmers, and a former Minister of Agriculture for Rwanda; Elbert
van Donkersgoed, Executive Director of the Greater Toronto Area
Agricultural Action Committee which is a partnership of municipal, farm
and diverse agencies in the food chain focused on a vibrant farm sector in
the GTA.

Moderator:        Mary Ito, Host of Living in Toronto, CBC Television.

First line of questioners including: FoodShare, Scadding Court Community
Centre, Ontario Federation of Agriculture, The Stop Community Food Centre,
Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute, Jeffrey Alford, award-winning
cookbook author and Mary Luz Mejia, a freelance food writer.

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in