act, speak out, organize, film, party, gather, demonstrate

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Nov 28 17:18:57 EST 2007

Wed. Nov. 28 - Lecture on climate change by Prof. Danny Harvey. Hart
House, east common room, 6:00 p.m.

Prof. Harvey, a respected climate scientist, will give an overview of the
science and the politics of global warming, followed by discussion. Learn
about the new IPCC report.

Hosted by Students Against Climate Change.

For information on Prof. Harvey, see
<http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/info/facweb/Harvey/Harvey/index.htm>http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/info/facweb/Harvey/Harvey/index.htm

Additional background information on climate change:

The latest IPCC report urges immediate action on this issue to avoid
catastrophe:
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2006/feb/28/science.frontpagenews>http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2006/feb/28/science.frontpagenews

The Stern Report shows that if we do nothing the economic costs will be
far greater:
<http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/3/2/Summary_of_Conclusions.pdf>http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/3/2/Summary_of_Conclusions.pdf

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Critical Mass Ride -- all non-motorized vehicles invited to take to the
streets en masse to celebrate people-safe-friendly space!
Last Friday of each month -- Friday Nov. 30
6 p.m. leaving from corner of Bloor/Spadina
Free Take the Tooker bike flags (bike lanes on Bloor please!)
Also, Take the Tooker bike calendars for sale

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

RAISE YOUR VOICE: ANDPVA MUSIC FEST '07

DATE: Saturday, December 1st, 7 p.m.
PLACE: Hard Rock Cafe, Rogers Centre, One Blue Jays Way, Gate 1
INFO: 416-535-4567, cynthia at andpva.com, www.andpva.com
COST: See below

The Association for Native Development in the Visual and Performing Arts
(ANDPVA) presents "GRATEFUL" - a presentation of challenging Indigenous
music and art from across NorthAmerica.

7 p.m. - Doors open (reception)
7:30 p.m. - Dinner with the artists - $20 buffet
8-9 p.m. - co-presentation with Imaginenative: film and video screenings
featuring the work of Sarah Decarlo, Sol Guy, Happy Frejo, Daybi and more!
9 p.m. - Music starts!  ($5 ticket)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Sears Day of Action - Toronto Ontario - Tuesday December 4, 2007 - 11:30am

Protest to Demand Sears stop making catalogs from Endangered Forest in
Ontario!

On December 4, activists across the US and Canada will be taking action!
This International Day of Action will come after the release of a report
in which Sears is being highlighted as the biggest laggard in the catalog
industry.

Be a part of our International Day of Action to demand Sears change its
paper policy. They produce around 425 million catalogs every year - and
the paper is coming from Ontario's Boreal Forest. We need your help to
convince Sears to stop destroying Endangered Forests and start using
recycled and sustainable paper!

In Toronto we will be holding a protest outside of the Sears Canada
Headquarters

Where: 222 Jarvis Street
When: December 4, 2007  11:30am
Why: To tell Sears to stop clear-cutting forests for catalogs!

Bring your friends, classmates, kids and caribou antlers, stilt walkers
dressed as trees, or the lorax, or anything that inspires you! Tell sears
that you don't want a Wishbook, but that we're wishing they would stop
destroying forests.

For more information, or to find out how to get even more involved email
Leah at forestethics.org

Otherwise, see you Tuesday, December 4 at 11:30!

Because defending forests is everyone's business

ForestEthics:
because protecting forests is everyone's business
416-597-1904
www.forestethics.ca

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Fix the 501 Queen Streetcar Forum
Tuesday December 4th, 6:30 - 9 pm
Metro Hall, Room 310
55 John Street

The Queen’s crown is slipping. She’s becoming tardy
and unreliable. Her subjects have lost faith and are
leaving.

The Queen streetcar used to carry 70,000 passengers a
day. Now it’s down to 40,000, and there are large gaps
in service. That's unacceptable.

The Fix the 501 forum will examine rider concerns and
seek solutions for the troubled Queen line,– the
backbone of transit service in the south end of
the City.

Confirmed Speakers:
o Steve Munro, transit advocate
o James Bow, Transit Toronto webmaster

Invited Speakers:
o TTC Chair, Councillor Adam Giambrone
o City Councillors along the 501 Route
o TTC Officials

Presented by Rocket Riders Transit Users Group and the
Sierra Club of Canada– Ontario Chapter

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Tues. Dec. 4 - Showing of climate change film

"Refugees of the Blue Planet." Organized by GSU Social Justice Committee.

Talk by Prof. Stephen Scharper after film. Bahen Centre, 40 St. George,
Room 1170. 6:00 p.m.

Description of the film:
<http://www.nfb.ca/collection/films/fiche/?id=54349&lg=en>http://www.nfb.ca/collection/films/fiche/?id=54349&lg=en

Good article by Stephen Scharper:
<http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/186850>http://www.thestar.com/Life/article/186850

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Lula Lounge - Wednesday Dec 5 - Climate Crises WTF...
The Weather Task Force Presents Autorickshaw and The Foggy Hogtown Boys
with speaker Chris Tindal
This is the first in a series of concerts aimed at building community
around the climate crises.  The bands are amazing and the environment will
be environmental... come down to meet other people who care about the
cause and to grow the community.
Tickets are $15 at the door or $10 for students/in advance
If you would like advance tickets please send me an email
Doors open at 7pm
<http://www.weathertaskforce.ca>http://www.weathertaskforce.ca

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Saturday Dec 8 - Kyoto Now Demonstration and March
Noon at Dundas Square -
Global Day of Climate Action

Join hundreds of thousands worldwide in demonstrating for meaningful
action against climate change.  As part of a larger network of 60
countries around the world, 20 cities and and towns across Canada will be
demonstrating for change regarding Canada's embarrassing and dangerous
position on climate change. This promises to be a great event... we hope
to see you all there.
http://www.climatechaos.ca

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in