energy; tar sands; Shell; nukes; meat; fished out; pharma

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri Jan 25 22:16:51 EST 2008

DAY OF ACTION: Demand a Canadian Energy Strategy on February 2, 2008

Canadians experience long, cold winter months. As the snow starts to fly,
our thoughts turn to staying warm. To do that, we need energy to heat our
homes. But right now, Canada does not have a national energy strategy that
addresses where our energy comes from, where it is going, or the high
price of environmental devastation that can come with producing it.
That is why the Council of Canadians is organizing Take Charge! A National
Day of Action to Demand a Canadian Energy Strategy on Saturday, February
2, 2008.

http://www.canadians.org/energy/action/index.html

Please sign the online statement for a moratorium on the tar sands!

The time is now to stop the uncontrolled oil sands development and deal
with the environmental and social concerns that it has created.

We, the undersigned, represent diverse interests and individual priorities
to our concern about the future of Alberta; but we are united in our
concern about the impact that out-of-control development of the oil sands
is having on all areas of the province and beyond.

We are calling, with one voice, for the Alberta Government to take the
first step for a cessation of new oil sands approvals and lease sales. The
time is now to stop the uncontrolled oil sands development and deal with
the environmental and social concerns that it has created.

No new approvals on oil sands development!

Please
follow <http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/no-new-approvals-on-tar-sands-developments>this
link and sign our online statement.

British Columbia -- Nigeria of the North!

Great video about Shell Oil in B.C.'s Sacred Headwaters Basin, Mount Klappan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RUhJGbjDM&eurl

Contact Shell! <mailto:questions at shell.com>questions at shell.com

More info at
<http://www.dogwoodinitiative.org>http://www.dogwoodinitiative.org

OIL: THE WORLD OVER A BARREL
Three-part series broadcasting: Sunday January 27, February 3 and February
10, 2008 at 8 PM ET on CBC Newsworld

A documentary series that explores the global oil industry in the form of
a journey through the world's most remote and challenging oil-producing
regions.

Award-winning documentary filmmaker, Bill Cran and his team of producers
and directors turn their cameras on the politically unstable countries of
Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, Ecuador and Angola, as well as the
environmentally sensitive Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska and
the tar sands in Alberta.

All are areas targeted by the oil industry to meet the world's insatiable
and growing thirst for oil.

View this moving and inspiring footage from the Borneo Orangutan Survival
Foundation (3 minutes). Orangutans need all the help they can get!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxioapZ1nww

www.savetheorangutan.org.uk
"Primates Helping Primates"

Earth Hour – March 29, 2008, 8 p.m.
Join millions of people around the world as they turn off their lights on
March 29 to deliver a powerful, unified global message about the need for
action on climate change. <>Earth Hour!
<http://wwfcentral.ca/NetCommunity/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.earthhour.org&srcid=57063&srctid=1&erid=4323306>

Nuclear power is dirty, dangerous and expensive — and it won't solve
global warming either.

by Jim Harding
Jan. 14, 2008

http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature8.cfm?REF=19

Care about the environment? Eat less meat

PETER FRICKER
Special to Globe and Mail Update
January 23, 2008

Last week, Rajendra Pachauri, the head of the United Nation's Nobel
Prize-winning scientific panel on climate change, asked the world to
"please eat less meat." Speaking at a press conference in Paris, he said
meat was a very carbon-intensive commodity, a fact established by UN
research showing that livestock production creates more greenhouse gases
than all forms of transport combined.

So the top man at the world's most important agency dealing with climate
change (the planet's biggest problem) is urging us all to cut meat
consumption to address the issue. Is the Prime Minister ordering
Environment Canada to draft guidelines for Canadian consumers? Is
Parliament debating the matter? Are environmental groups demanding
immediate action?

Read full article here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080122.wcomment0123/BNStory/International/home

Fished out

Fish is now the most traded animal commodity on the planet. Almost 100
million tons of wild and farmed fish are sold each year at a value of over
$22 billion in Europe alone. The resulting imbalance between supply and
demand has led to an environmental disaster worthy of a collaboration
between John Grisham and Stephen King.

As Europe's waters become largely fished out, vast flotilla of industrial
trawlers from the European Union, China, Korea and Russia have so
thoroughly scoured northwest Africa's ocean floor that major fish
populations are collapsing crippling coastal economies.

Worldwide, the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimate
that 75 percent of fish stocks are over fished or fished to their maximum.

http://www.organicprinciple.com/newsletters/Jan21_send.htm

Media Blames Heath Ledger, Refuses to Examine Dangers of the
Pharmaceuticals Found Beside His Body
Thursday, January 24, 2008 by: Mike Adams

Can you imagine the outcry if Heath Ledger's body was found next to a pile
of Chinese herbs? The media outcry would be deafening, and nearly everyone
would leap to the conclusion that the herbs must have killed Ledger. But
when Ledger's body is found next to bottles of FDA-approved
pharmaceuticals, there's hardly even a whisper about the deadly side
effects of such pharmaceuticals (and the likelihood that Ledger was,
indeed, killed by FDA-approved medicines).

Full article: http://www.newstarget.com/022536.html

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in