TO events: tasers, housing, theatre, SPP, green diva

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Feb 5 13:28:26 EST 2008

"THE SHOCK OF THE TASER" - public forum

DATE: Wednesday, February 6th, 7 p.m.
PLACE: Town Hall, Innis College (St. George and Sussex)
INFO: Toronto Police Accountability Coalition - www.tpac.ca

A public discussion of the police use of shock and stun guns.  Please let
your colleagues and friends know of this public meeting.

Speakers:
David Reville, advocate and builder of the psychiatric survivor movement
Naomi Klein, author of "The Shock Doctrine, The Rise of Disaster Capitalism"
Andy Buxton, Chair, Amnesty International Toronto

Moderator:
Anna Willats, Toronto Police Accountability Coalition

HOUSING, NOT WAR - rally

DATE: Thursday, February 7th, 12 noon to 2 p.m.
PLACE: King Street West and University Avenue
INFO: www.housingnotwar.ca

The Toronto Coalition to Stop the War is pleased to be a part of the
Housing Not War Campaign, and calls on our members and supporters to join
this Thursday's rally.

The Toronto Disaster Relief Committee (TDRC) and the Canadian Peace
Alliance (CPA) are also asking people to sign the following declaration,
which can be found at www.housingnotwar.ca:

"I / we support the demand that the federal government implement a Housing
Not War strategy.  Canada is at war with Afghanistan.  Homelessness
remains a national disaster in Canada.  Canadian troops should come home,
and funding directed towards war and militarism should go towards housing
and other peaceful purposes.

"As long as homelessness worsens in Canada, the federal government can no
longer justify spending untold billions of dollars on war.  We call for
the 1% solution - an additional 1% of the federal budget to be allocated
towards social housing.  This would bring spending to $4 billion per
year."

Sexual Liberation...
...didn't we do this already?
The Spice Girls are back and Oprah's learning the stripper walk. Do I take
my underwear off or put my hijab on? Women and their liberation in the
battle zone (literally) again. What's Up?
created and performed by: Pam Johnson

directed by: Meagan O'Shea
images by: Heather Kent

Part of

'Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History'
Tanya Crowder
HOWDARESHE Productions
Dance Matters Series
Sat. & Sun. February 9 and 10, 4 pm
6 Noble St (Queen and Dufferin), Pia Bouman Studio Theatre
howdaresheproductions at gmail.com

Toronto Protests for SPP Referendum!
Stop the North American Union Now!!

Saturday, February 16, 2008
1:00pm - 4:00pm
Meet at Ontario Court of Justice on University (just north of Queen) and
march to Parliament/Queen's Park

This event is part of a NATIONWIDE CALL TO ACTION.

On February 16 (the day after Flag Day), Concerned Canadians from all over
this great nation will be heard loud and clear as we demand a Referendum
of the People on the Security & Prosperity Partnership (SPP). This was an
agreement signed initially by the Liberals, then the Conservatives
together with the US and Mexico with NO discussion or debate by the
People's representatives! It is leading us to a North American Union. But
the complicit mainstream media will never speak of it. Our sovereignty is
in great peril. So join us to make the Toronto protest something that will
be heard all the way in Ottawa !

STOP THE NORTH AMERICAN UNION NOW!!!!

Check out Toronto's green diva workshops this month by signing up to her
monthly email list
<mailto:anarreshealth at gmail.com>anarreshealth at gmail.com. Here's a sample
event she's hosting:

What: Non Toxic Woman ~ How To Save Yourself, Your Family and the
Environment Starting Today
When: Tuesday, February 19, 6 - 9 pm
There's so much that's said to be bad for you, and bad for the
environment, but who do you believe, and where do you start? Don't worry;
be healthy! From phthalates and plastics, to parabens and probiotics,
we'll look at the toxins that commonly plague us in our environment, and
talk about simple, immediate solutions that will benefit our health and
our planet. We'll look at The Diva Cup and other healthy alternatives to
disposables, and at common household cleaning, bath, baby and beauty
products that can easily be replaced with healthful products you can make
yourself, or buy locally. You'll come away with your own list of easy,
life enhancing changes you can start making today, and the information you
need to make healthy decisions and further changes if you like.

Anarres' workshops are relaxing and fun and take place at Anarres Natural
Health Clinic, College & Ossington. Classes are limited to six
participants so that everyone gets a semi private lesson experience.
There's fruit, veggies and dip to snack on, and, as always, a choice of
cool crystal water or refreshing tea. There are always goodies to take
home, as well as new found knowledge and skills.

Workshops are: $30 for 3 hours. Mondays are pay-what-you-can.
To RSVP, for address and other info 416.535.9620 or
<mailto:anarreshealth at gmail.com>anarreshealth at gmail.com

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in