Bike Lane Unfurled on Bloor - Mon.

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sat Mar 1 19:36:16 EST 2008

Friends, join us on Monday, Mar. 3, 11 a.m., Bloor and Avenue Road. We
need bikes to ride the lane!
Also, you're welcome to join us for the evening ritual/workshop/videos at
7 p.m. at Friends House (60 Lowther)
-angela
-----------

Media Release

BIKE LANE UNFURLED ON BLOOR

On Monday, Mar. 3 (the 4th anniversary of Tooker Gomberg's passing),
at 11 a.m. on Bloor at Avenue Road (SE corner),  supporters of local
cycling group Take the Tooker will unfurl a 3 ft. by 144 ft. long bicycle
lane, complete with lane stripe and bike symbols. Cyclists will then ride
the lane without fear of being rear ended, side swiped or doored.

"With the federal budget panning Toronto, we thought we'd do our part to
assist Toronto's infrastructure needs by contributing a bicycle lane at
our own expense" says group member Angela Bischoff, Tooker's widow.

With a total budget of just $27 and a few hours of volunteer labour, the
group says it's proud to help the city install the necessary
infrastructure to make it safer for city cyclists. The Toronto
Bicycle-Motor Vehicle Collision Study of 2003 showed clearly that
Bloor-Danforth is the highest and longest car-bike collision route in the
entire city. The 950,000 Toronto cyclists deserve better.

"It's outrageous that the city is undergoing a renovation of Bloor from
Avenue Road to Church St. without accommodating bikes. In a day of
heightened environmental concern, to not accommodate bikes when renovating
roads is unacceptable" quips Darren Stehr.

Hamish Wilson, tireless advocate of the TaketheTooker vision of a bicycle
expressway along the full length of Bloor and Danforth, added: "If Toronto
City Council is as committed to reducing congestion, smog and climate
emissions as it proclaims to be, then bicycle lanes are a no-brainer. At
just $25,000 a km, they're a bargain. There's really no more logical place
in Southern Ontario to add a bike lane than alongside our biggest subway.
All that's required is a little paint and a dose of political will."

For info and interviews contact Take the Tooker reps:
Hamish Wilson   c. 416 xxx
Darren Stehr        c. 416 xxx
Angela Bischoff  r. 647 342 1964
greenspi at web.ca
http://www.takethetooker.ca
http://www.greenspiration.org

- 30 -

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in