youth, health pods, WiFi, pesticides, nukes, asbestos

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Mar 19 10:09:01 EDT 2008

Fossil Fuels Day of Youth Action – Canadian youth are being called to
action for April 1st.  Go to
<http://actions.energyactioncoalition.org/fossilfools>http://actions.energyactioncoalition.org/fossilfools
to find an action near you, or better still, organize your own!

Kelly from boilingfrog.ca, who toured the country with Bridget and I on
the Healthy Mind Body Planet tour in 2006 http://www.greenspiration.org ,
has been busy producing audio and video blogs from that trip and posting
them on rabble.ca for all to hear/view. The full list of around 30 audio
pods can be found here: http://www.rabble.ca/rpn/podcast.php?id=boi
Some of the audio pods include:

- Anne Rochon Ford, Co-ordinator of Women and Health Protection speaks
about pharmaceuticals and their impact on women's health, children and the
environment
- Carin Reinhardt speaks about how good nutrition beats pharmaceuticals in
building healthy bodies, leaving one to wonder about policies that created
a generation of drugged out zombies.
- Don Weitz, anti-psychiatry activist shares his experiences with insulin
shock therapy and the reasons why electro-shock therapy should also be
banned.
- Alan Cassels, co-author of Selling Sickness: How the World's Biggest
Pharmaceutical Companies Are Turning Us All into Patients

The video podcasts from our tour can be found here:
http://www.rabble.ca/rpn/podcast.php?id=vid

Some of the video pods include:
- Dr. Abram Hoffer: From his office at the Orthomolecular Vitamin
Information Centre Dr Hoffer explains how ortholecular medicine began, its
successes and the opposition to it from the medical establishment.
- On the Farm with Percy Schmeiser
- Corporate Control
- Communal Health

Check 'em out. Fascinating listening to what Canadians are saying about
reclaiming our health, the power of drug companies, alternatives to drugs
to treat mental health, and more.

Thanks Kelly!

An excellent article about the dangers of WiFi.
-a

The gathering brainstorm
It is unregulated, untested, more dangerous than its proponents would have
you believe — and soon to become even more powerful. Mark Anslow reports
on the inexorable march of Wi-Fi

Date:13/03/2008
The Ecologist Online

http://www.theecologist.org/archive_detail.asp?content_id=1179

To all supporters of a pesticide free Ontario:

This spring, the ON government plans to introduce legislation that will
ban the cosmetic use of pesticides.
We need everyone to help to make this a reality!

Please send a letter to the ON Premier and Minister of the Environment,

Premier of Ontario
Hon Dalton McGuinty
<mailto:dmcguinty.mpp.co at liberal.ola.org>dmcguinty.mpp.co at liberal.ola.org

Minister of the Environment
Hon John Gerretsen
<mailto:jgerretsen.mpp.co at liberal.ola.org>jgerretsen.mpp.co at liberal.ola.org

by the end of March 2008 (and send a copy to Pesticide Free Ontario at
info at pesticidefree.ca  . It is important that we know how many
letters/emails were sent by PFO members.)

These letters will be influencing the strength of the legislation that
will be written in April.

Below is a sample letter, which you can personalize and send to:

------------------
Sample Letter to Premier and Minister of the Environment:
------------------

Dear Premier and Minister of the Environment,

I am writing to express my support for province-wide legislation that will
prohibit both the sale and use of lawn and garden pesticides.

As many health and environmental organizations clearly state, lawn and
garden pesticide use poses an unacceptable health and environmental risk
and can easily be replaced by safe alternatives.

The legislation should:
·        ban their use and sale, including pesticide/fertilizer mixtures,
·       only allow exemptions to protect public health where the use of
pesticides is less harmful than not using them;
·       apply equally to rural and urban properties and
·       be applicable to both licensed applicators and homeowners
·       strengthen municipal bylaws rather than supplant them.
We look forward to a timely introduction of this legislation.

Sincerely,

Ontario Goes Nuclear

Thanks to the Ontario government’s recent decision to procure up to 14,000
megawatts (MW) of supply from new or refurbished nuclear power plants,
nuclear power will have a stranglehold on the province’s electricity
supply system.  While the government talks about “balance” the real story
is that 14,000 MW represents about 72% of the province’s current
electricity demand. And that means that cleaner supply sources, such as
renewables, conservation programs or combined heat and power, will be left
fighting over mostly scraps.  Given what we know about the high costs of
nuclear power, these other sources will also have to fight for funds as
nuclear takes up an equally disproportionate share of the province’s
electricity budget.

Our new fact sheet, Ontario’s impending nuclear monopoly, cuts through the
smoke to reveal just how dominant nuclear will be in Ontario’s electricity
future if the government proceeds as planned.  It also lays out
recommendations for a fairer and more balanced electricity supply
procurement process.  You may download the fact sheet by visiting
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org>www.cleanairalliance.org and order copies
to distribute from
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets>http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets.

Please contact Ontario’s Energy Minister, Gerry Phillips, at
<mailto:gphillips.mpp at liberal.ola.org>gphillips.mpp at liberal.ola.org, and
ask him to establish a competitive procurement process for obtaining new
electricity supplies.

Please pass this message on to your friends.

Thank you.

Jessica Fracassi, Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Email: <mailto:jessica at cleanairalliance.org>jessica at cleanairalliance.org
Website: <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/>www.cleanairalliance.org

Ban Asbestos - Canada Sabotaging International Convention

The purpose of the U.N. Rotterdam Convention is to protect life and the
environment by controlling trade in hazardous chemicals and pesticides.
Now that these dangerous products, such as asbestos, are being controlled
or banned in the industrialized world, companies are aggressively
targeting developing countries and the countries of Eastern Europe for
expanded sales and increased profits. Although most Canadians do not know
this, our government has been a world leader in sabotaging the Rotterdam
Convention.

http://rightoncanada.wordpress.com/2008/03/18/canada-sabotaging-un-environmental-convention/

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in