spring cycling, housing, child care, cancer, wenches with wrenches

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Mar 24 17:55:08 EDT 2008

Celebrate Spring Cycling!

Critical Mass Ride
(The last Friday of every month)
Friday Mar. 28, 6 p.m.
Leaves from Spadina and Bloor

Bicycle Bob speaks
Grand daddy of the bicycle movement in Canada
Fri. Mar. 28, 8:30 p.m.
Community Bicycle Network
761 Queen St. West

Free.
All welcome.
For more info, <greenspi at web.ca>
http://www.takethetooker.ca

Calling all cyclists who love bike lanes!

The Bloor reconstruction project (between Ave. Rd and Church St) has gone
to tender. Although there is plenty of space for bike lanes, as the car
parking will be removed, the merchants along the strip don’t want bike
facilities at this time. Many cyclists find this unacceptable. We want
dedicated bike space with painted asphalt, like many cities around the
world have.

If you’d like to see bike lanes included in the
Bloor/Yorkville reconstruction as part of a larger Bloor bike lane, please
call or write Mayor Miller, Councillor Rae, Councillor Heaps, and your own
local Councillor.

Mayor_Miller at toronto.ca
councillor_rae at toronto.ca
councillor_heaps at toronto.ca
councillor_lastname at toronto.ca
Or call 416-338-0338.

Thank you!

For more info: greenspi at web.ca

Panel discussion
Right to Housing: Making it Legally Binding
Saturday March 29 @ 9 - 10.30 am
U of T, 7 Hart House, Hart House Circle, 2nd Floor(Museum subway)
INFO: email: tdrc-on at povnet.org

Wheelchair accessible ~V Childcare available

Peter Rosenthal: Lawyer, Roach Schwartz & Associates John Fraser: Program
Director, Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation Tracy Heffernan:
Staff Lawyer, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario Chair ~V Jennifer
Ramsay, Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario.

The Consequences of Corporatization and Marketization of Child Care:
It's Not as Easy as ABC
Monday, March 31, 2008 @ 4-6 pm
School of Public Policy and Governance, Main floor seminar room
Canadian Building, U of T, 14 Queen's Park Cres. W.
INFO: zjanmohamed at oise.utoronto.ca

Deborah Brennan is one of Australia's leading researchers in comparative
welfare, children's services and family policy. She is the author of 'The
Politics of Australian Child Care: From Philanthropy to Feminism'
(Cambridge University Press) and was inaugural Convenor of the National
Association of Community Based Child Care. She is Professor of Social
Policy at the University of New South Wales

Chair: Carl Corter, Atkinson Charitable Foundation Chair in Early Child
Development and Education

Panelists: Martha Friendly, Executive Director:  Child Care Research and
Resource Unit; Linda White, Associate Professor:  Political Science
University of Toronto and Affiliate, School of Public Policy and
Governance, University of Toronto; Gord Cleveland: Senior Lecturer in
Economics for Management Studies, Department of Management, University of
Toronto at Scarborough

An Evening with Dr. Devra Davis
How cancer is caused by our workplaces and environment - and what we can
do about it

Monday April 7, 7 - 9 p.m.
OISE auditorium, 252 Bloor St. West (St. George St. subway)

Dr. Devra Davis, head of the world's first Centre for Environmental
Oncology at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and author of
the bood The Secret History of the War on Cancer.

Dr. Davis will examine how exposures in the workplace and in the broader
environment are contributing to the cancer epidemic. And how we can take
individual and collective action to do something about it.

"I know what cancer looks and feels like. I have also come to know that
much of the disease can be prevented, if only we had paid attention to
what some people have been warning for years." -
Dr. Devra Davis

Free.
For more info, 416 510 8713 x 0 or email info at ohcow.on.ca
Sponsored by Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers Inc.

Wenches with Wrenches: Bicycle maintenance workshops for women

You WISH you WRENCHED like a GIRL!

Wenches with Wrenches is an ongoing program of Community Bike Network
(CBN) volunteers hosting bicycle repair workshops run by and for women in
downtown Toronto. The idea has been to make basic bicycle repair skills
accessible to women, in the hope that participants will then share their
knowledge and their confidence with others in the community

Wenches with Wrenches brings women together in a safe, non-competitive and
friendly learning environment. The workshops are run by women for women
because, many times, women are just more comfortable learning from other
women.

For 2008, we will be offering 4 four-week courses that run in the spring
and in the fall. Courses are held at CBN in the evenings once a week from
6:30 to 8:30 PM. Classes combine “The Lesson” of the day and a hands-on
application of what is taught (your chance to fix your bike yourself!).

Here is a sample of what will be covered :
Lesson 1 : Bike fit and Bike Parts
Lesson 2 : Flat Fix
Lesson 3 : Brakes
Lesson 4 : Gears / Drivetrain

2008 SEASON
SESSION 1 : APRIL 1st to 22nd on TUESDAYS
SESSION 2 : MAY 8th to 29th on THURSDAYS
SESSION 3 : JUNE 9th to 30th on MONDAYS
SESSION 4 : SEPTEMBER 9th to 30th on TUESDAYS

Registration is on now!

This year, we are bringing registration back to CBN. Regular hours are 12
pm to 6 pm, Monday to Friday. Drop by and let the staff know you’re
interested in signing up for Wenches classes.
761 Queen St. West

Registration is based on a first-come, first-serve basis. To register, we
require a non-refundable $40 fee. Please have this ready at the time of
registration. We will also accept pay-what-you-can for those who cannot
afford this price. All money goes towards paying for photocopying, bike
maintenance supplies and to CBN who graciously allows us to use their
space and tools.

More info: wenches at communitybicyclenetwork.org
http://www.communitybicyclenetwork.org/wenches

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in