TO events: civil disobedience, rally, cyclists, party, earth day, car petition

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Apr 9 10:04:33 EDT 2008

Know Your Rights: Planning for Civil Disobedience

Wednesday, April 9th
3 - 5 pm
University College
Room # 87
15 King's College Circle

For activists in the struggle for social justice, civil disobedience is
both a strategy and a tactic.

This workshop will offer legal training for civil disobedience actions,
and focus on how to make every action safer through preparation with legal
activists. Some of these techniques are useful in any action that attracts
the attention of police, including rallies and marches.

*this workshop will not be able to cover a 'how-to' of specific tactics of
civil disobedience.

Presented by: members of the Student/Recent Graduate/Legal Workers Group
(SRGLWG) of the Law Union of Ontario. SRGWLWG actively supports the
struggles of all oppressed people for justice and dignity, by defending
the rights of protestors and militant activists in the face of state
repression

RALLY TO STOP FEE HIKES
Thursday, April 10, 4:00 PM
Simcoe Hall (27 King's College Court)
University of Toronto
Map: <http://tinyurl.com/2oatgu>http://tinyurl.com/2oatgu

Governing Council is going to increase your fees. Join us as we rally to
fight fees.

On Thursday, April 10th, at 4:00 pm, students and allies will be gathering
outside of Simcoe Hall to have their voices heard: to take a stand against
the continuous increases in fees and the university's negligence of the
need for accessible education.

While we gather outside to rally, the Governing Council of the University
of Toronto, meeting inside Simcoe Hall, will be voting to increase our
tuition fees once again. Students across the University will be
experiencing rising fees:

Domestic:
         2% for Medical student (this is low because of dedicated
government funding for Medical school entry)
        4.5% for entering Arts & Science and continuing Computer Science
students
      4% for continuing Arts & Science students
      5% for Pharmacy students
       8% for Law, Dentistry, Commerce, Management, CCIT and Engineering
students

International:
  5% for "most continuing programs"
  8% for entering Arts & Science, Engineering, Music, OISE, Phys. Ed,
Commerce and Nursing
 15% for Dentistry
 23.5% for Music

We, the students, as a collective advocating for accessible education, are
demanding that the University of Toronto

1. Stop the fee increases. Start by stopping those set for April 10th. The
university must take a stand or else the province will never be pressured
to adequately fund post-secondary education.

2. Support student, staff and faculty parity on all governing bodies.
Students, staff, and faculty have a right to meaningful participation in
decision-making. Eight students out of fifty on the Governing Council is
tokenism, not meaningful participation.

3. Stop policing dissent on campus. Students, staff, and faculty have a
right to voice their dissent and hold meetings without police harassment
or interference.

The Toronto Cyclists Union is organizing a Cycling Advocacy Workshop.

Sunday, April 13th
Time: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
Location: Council Chambers, Toronto City Hall (Queen & Bay)

Learn how to improve cycling conditions in your Ward. Become a positive
force of change. Learn political process and leadership.

Learn about navigation strategies through political processes,
get public speaking and media coaching, and learn how to get local
volunteers, book meeting rooms and host meetings.

Community leaders will also share their secrets of success, and City
Council Members will share their valuable inside knowledge of how to
influence your local politician. Free. All welcome.
Speakers include:

Albert Koehl, Bells on Bloor
Eleanor McMahon, Share The Road Cycling Coalition
Fred Sztabinski, TCAT
Jake Alderdice, Dundas EAST
Joe Mihevc, City Councillor
Gord Perks, City Councillor
Katrina Miller, TEA
Martin Koob, biketoronto.ca
Patrick Brown
Sean Meagher, Public Interest
Shamez Amlani, Streets are for People
Shannon Thompson, Greenest City
Tammy Thorne
Usman Valiante, BTAC
...and more!

Information: Anthony Humphreys
anthony at bikeunion.to

http://www.bikeunion.to/advocacy_day.htm

It's Easy To Be Green!
Earth Day Event & Launch Party for:

The Little Green Book of Big Savings: Live Green *Buy Local* Save Money
http://www.TheLittleGreenBook.ca

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:00 pm - 1 a.m.
Brief speaker presentation at 8 pm from City Councillor Glenn
DeBaeremaeker and The Environmental Commissioner of Ontario, Gord Miller.
at Toronto Sprouts
720 Bathurst St. (just South of Bloor)

Join us at a fun-filled social evening celebrating all that's green and
local in Toronto...

Come eat free organic food, discover new ways to reduce your footprint,
win green-friendly prizes, be entertained, drop off used batteries for
recycling, listen to great music, and more!

This is a special networking event to connect people who want to learn
green alternatives with people who provide local solutions that are making
a difference to our environment.

Cost: Free/By donation -- A portion of the event's proceeds will support
Green Enterprise Toronto, The Conservation Council of Ontario and Toronto
Green Community.

This event is brought to you by The Little Green Book of Big Savings,
Toronto's coupon book, directory and guide for green and healthy living.
During the past year, Allison Greenbaum created this book as her way of
helping her community save money and live sustainably.

http://www.TheLittleGreenBook.ca

<http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/reclaimearthday2008>RECLAIM EARTH
DAY: U-TURN ON CLIMATE CHANGE!

SUNDAY, APRIL 20

12 noon - Rally at Younge & Dundas Square with The New Kings playing
1 pm - Parade West on Queen Street, U-turn at Spadina
2 to 4 pm - Streets are for People! Street Festival on John Street.

For info call  (416) 861-1303 or e-mail us at
<http://www.ecosanity.org/contact/>info at ecoSanity.org.
Sponsored by the Toronto Climate Campaign
http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org

PETITION -- CAR DELIVERY
TUESDAY, APRIL 22

For Earth Day, help us deliver our Petition Car to Queen’s Park. Black
with signatures, it demands that “not one more dollar go to promote,
support, or perpetuate car culture.”

Meet us in Bellevue Square Park in Kensington Market for a classic Streets
are for People! style parade–bring instruments, costumes, banners

12:30 - Rendez-vous at Bellevue Square Park, Kensington Market
1:00 - Departure for Queen’s Park, 2:00 arrival
3:00 - Official reading of the petition in session

SIGN OUR ON-LINE PETITION http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/anti-car-culture

Not One More Dollar to Car Culture!
Every time another poor automaker comes begging for money our governments
cough it up.  $17 million here, $200 million there.  Then - "sorry, we
don't have money for transit or bicycle infrastructure."  The auto
industry dominates our economy.  It also destroys our our ability to live
and breathe on this planet.  The government is supposed to protect the
public health.  It's time our money stopped supporting the very thing that
is killing us, and was put to positive use.  Let's put Ontario to work in
sectors that need working on.

Spread the word! See you in streets!

Streets are for People!
http://www.streetsareforpeople.org/blog/

Radical Business Intensive
----------------------------------
Heads up on a fantastic marketing training for green, local,
community minded, holistic and otherwise conscious entrepreneurs, led by a
friend of mine, Tad Hargrave.

It's pay what you can -- you don't pay anything before you go and you only
pay at the end what you thought it was worth based on what you can
honestly afford.

WHAT: Radical Business Intensive (marketing training for 20 or so
conscious entrepreneurs)

WHEN: May 29 - June 1

WHERE: Center for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Avenue (4th floor)
<http://www.the215.ca/>http://www.the215.ca/

MORE INFO AND APPLY TO COME:
<http://tadhargrave.com/RBI>http://tadhargrave.com/RBI

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in