TO events: poverty, music, toxics, water, ban styrofoam

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri May 9 17:14:10 EDT 2008

FROM POVERTY TO ECONOMIC SECURITY
A Forum to Reduce Poverty in Ontario
Saturday, May 10 @ 10am - 4pm
Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil St, T (College/University)
INFO: Ontario Coalition for Social Justice, 416.441.3714; email: info at ocsj.ca

* Recommend ways to reduce poverty and increase social justice
* Learn about the Provincial Government's plans for poverty reduction
* Mobilize for public input into the process
* Organize among workers, tenants, women, students, and others dedicated
to ending poverty in Ontario

Special Guests:

* Wayne Samuelson (President) and Terry Downey (Executive VP), Ontario
Federation of Labour
* Jen Hassum (Chair), Canadian Federation of Students - Ontario
* Cheri DiNovo (MPP), Parkdale-High Park
* Representative of the Provincial Government's Cabinet Committee for
Poverty Reduction (invited)

Open at no cost to all activists interested in social justice -- labour,
student, aboriginal, women, ethno-racial, and other equity-seeking groups

MOTHER'S DAY CONCERT -- by Women's Choir, Echo

Sunday May 11, at 3 pm.
Holy Trinity Church behind the Eaton Centre

Enjoy the peace of beautiful music.

$15, or $8 low income.

The Aleila Festival of Arts, Music & Healing

May 10-18, 2008, Toronto

all details of events available at
<http://www.AleilaFestival.com>http://www.AleilaFestival.com

How does the toxic soup around us affect our kids? TVO investigates in a
special TV-web event, Wednesday May 14, 2008

The View From Here: Toxic Trespass – Canadian Premiere
Wednesday May 14, 2008 at 10 pm ET, simulcast on TVO and at TVOParents.com

Your Voice: Toxic Trespass live webcast discussion
Wednesday May 14, 2008 at 11 pm ET at TVOParents.com

>From bisphenol A (BPA) to pesticides, chemicals and pollutants surround
us. Last month, the federal government proposed that BPA, a chemical
commonly found in plastic baby bottles should be classified as “toxic”
under Canadian law. And the Ontario government introduced new legislation
banning the sale and use of cosmetic pesticides. Is that enough to protect
children from the environmental toxic soup? What’s the impact of all these
chemicals on our kids’ health? On Wednesday May 14, 2008 starting at 10
pm, TVO provides insight into these questions through a multi-platform
event beginning with the documentary Toxic Trespass, followed by a live
webcast discussion with experts.

An Inconvenient Truth of WATER

The Global Water Crisis – Maude Barlow ( National Chairperson of the
Canadian Council for Canadians) will speak at Monarch Park.

Where: Monarch Park C.I. (SE of Danforth and Coxwell) (subway Greenwood)

When: Wed, May 14, 2008

Time: 5:00 – 6: 00 Refreshments and Tabling from Environmental Organizations

           6:00 – 7:30 Maude Barlow + Q/A  + book signing

<http://www.canadians.org/about/Maude_Barlow/Blue_Covenant/index.html>http://www.canadians.org/about/Maude_Barlow/Blue_Covenant/index.html

Mel Hurtig will be in Toronto speaking about his new book *The Truth About
Canada*

Thur. May 15, 7:30 p.m.
Hart House, U of T

Mel Hurtig has managed to identify and chronicle the central political
narrative of Canada's last quarter-century -- how  a succession of
business-oriented elites have, with the assistance of an increasingly
pliant press and powerful corporate interests, eroded Canada's social
safety net and threatened its already tenuous independence in economic and
foreign affairs.

Explore Niagara by Bike... Get There by Train!

The Bike Train, which introduced bike racks onboard select VIA Rail
departures between Toronto and Niagara Falls, will be operating on an
expanded schedule this summer, beginning at the end of June.  Book now at
http://www.biketrain.ca. Space is limited!

A fundraiser for the Toronto Cyclists Union! - get your tickets before
they sell out.

Thursday May 29th - 7pm

A film screening of Pee-wee's Big Adventure, supported by a live cast
featuring members of the Hidden Cameras, Broken Social Scene, Apostle of
Hustle, Kids on TV, The Old Soul, Republic of Safety, the Phonemes and
more! Lex Vaughn as Pee-Wee. Gentleman Reg as Francis.

With guest appearances by Sook Yin Lee & City Councillor Adrian Heaps!

More details and ticket locations here:
http://www.bikeunion.to/ultrasound.htm

Ban Styrofoam in Toronto!

Get it to Go Green! -- promoting the use of sustainable and 100%
biodegradable containers in Toronto's restaurants and cafes.
http://www.naturopack.org

Containers made of renewable resources such as corn, potato and sugar cane
are now widely available, and we no longer need to use the wasteful and
toxic Styrofoam, paper and plastic containers that we're used to.

We need the City of Toronto to take action! They have the power to ban
Styrofoam and pass legislation for the city-wide use of biodegradable
containers.

Call your city councillor to tell them you support this campaign, and sign
the online petition at...
http://www.naturopack.org/petition.html

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in