TO events: docs, bikes, food, climate, First Nations

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri May 16 11:44:34 EDT 2008

Join us for a FREE TEST SCREENING of

FIERCE LIGHT

The groundbreaking feature documentary from the filmmakers who
brought you "ScaredSacred" and "The Corporation"

Monday May 19th
12:30  p.m.
Royal Theatre
608 College St.

Fueled by the belief that another world is possible, acclaimed filmmaker
Velcrow Ripper takes us on a global journey tracing spiritual activism's
historical roots and capturing the powerful personalities that are
igniting a new wave of spiritual action around the globe.

Martin Luther King called it "love in action"

Gandhi called it "soul force"

Featuring Visionary Buddhist Monk, Thich Nhat Hahn; Nobel Peace Prize
Winner, Archbishop Desmond Tutu; Pulitzer Prize Winning Author, Alice
Walker; Famed Tree-Sitter, Julia Butterfly Hill; and Hollywood celebrity
turned activist, Daryl Hannah.

WWW.FIERCELIGHT.ORG

Toronto Cyclists Union LAUNCH!  Be there and join...

Join this 2-wheeled union to achieve the common goals of safety,
legitimacy and accessibility of cyclists in Toronto

Tues. May 20
9 a.m. - 1 p.m. (press event 9-9:30)

Nathan Phillips Square (Queen and Bay)
416 596 0500
http://www.bikeunion.to

The price of rice has risen by as much as 70% over the last year . . .
Why? And what does this mean for Canada and the rest of the world?

"FOOD in the CITY"

    DATE:   Tuesday, May 20
    TIME:   7 - 9pm
    PLACE:  Ralph Thornton Centre
            765 Queen Street E.
               (2 blocks east of Broadview on south
               side of Queen)Room location will be
               posted at the elevator.

PLUS: A short documentary film on cities producing food locally.

FARMING FOR PROFIT and URBAN AGRICULTURE
presenters include:

CANADIAN ORGANIC GROWERS
Tanmayo Krupanski
<http://www.cog.ca/index.htm>http://www.cog.ca/index.htm

THE STOP COMMUNITY FOOD
Rhonda Teitel-Payne
<http://www.thestop.org/>http://www.thestop.org

MATCH BOX GARDEN
<http://matchboxgarden.ca/>http://matchboxgarden.ca

Presented by:
<mailto:nextgeneration06 at gmail.com>nextgeneration06 at gmail.com
<http://the-next-generation.org/>http://the-next-generation.org/

      Come and learn the 'HOW' and 'WHY' of FOOD.

Some Like It Cold - The Politics of Climate Change in Canada by Dr. Robert
Paehlke

Thursday, May 22, 2008, from 5:30 ˆ 7:00 PM
$10 at the door
215 Spadina Avenue (just north of Queen) in Toronto ˆ 1 st Floor Boardroom

Some Like It Cold plunges headlong into the political conundrum of
Canada‚s climate change debate. Focusing on the past responses of both
Liberal and Conservative governments to the looming crisis˜ranging from
negligence to complicity and connivance˜Paehlke illuminates the issues
surrounding compliance with global regulations such as Kyoto, including
the dilemma of tar sands development. But he also lays out crucial
political steps that could, if taken, lead towards a solution.

While he presents a potentially positive projection for the future,
Paehlke is not afraid to point a finger at Canada‚s fractured and flawed
democracy˜demonstrating that the country‚s ambivalence is our biggest
hindrance to joining the international quest to move forward on this
unparalleled global challenge.

Robert Paehlke is Professor Emeritus of Environmental and Resource Studies
and Political Science at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario. The
founding editor of the journal Alternatives: Canadian Environmental Ideas
+ Action, Paehlke is the author of several books including Democracy‚s
Dilemma and Environmentalism and the Future of Progressive Politics.

The session will be moderated by Nicola Ross, Executive Editor of
Alternatives Journal.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND, PLEASE PRE-REGISTER by providing your name
and affiliation to Luella at
<mailto:info at sustain.web.ca>info at sustain.web.ca

Presented by the Sustainability Network

Help us break a Guinness World Record with the
world's largest BICYCLE BELL ENSEMBLE!

At high noon on Saturday, May 24 at Toronto's Yonge-Dundas Square, Chris
McKhool, together with the City's Green Toronto Festival and 600 of YOU,
are set to break a Guinness World Record for the Largest Bicycle Bell
Ensemble ever!

The last record was set in Leipzig, Germany on November 22, 2003 by
Professor Jörg Kärger with 503 bell ringers.

This year's Green Toronto Festival will transform Yonge-Dundas Square into
a celebration of all things green! Stroll through more than 100 exhibits
of green products and services, sample locally grown food and enjoy live
bands including McKhool, Sultans of String, & special guest speakers, all
in a car-free environment (Yonge Street will be closed to traffic from
Dundas to Queen).

So join in on the fun -- ring those bells -- and make Guinness history!!

WHAT: Largest Bicycle Bell Ensemble breaks Guinness World Record
WHEN: Saturday, May 24, noon
WHERE: Yonge-Dundas Square, Toronto
WHO: Chris McKhool, Green Toronto Festival and 600 of you!

COST: Free

EVENT <http://www.chrismckhool.c>http://www.chrismckhool.com/
INFO:
<http://www.toronto.ca/greentorontofestival>http://www.toronto.ca/greentorontofestival
416-392-2984

Thanks to generous sponsors including:
Eye Weekly http://www.eyeweekly.com/
Curbside Cycle http://www.curbside.on.ca/swf/

Do you want bike lanes on Bloor? Then join us!

BELLS ON BLOOR
Sunday May 25, noon
Meet at High Park (Bloor gate) and ride en masse along Bloor to Queens Park.
Rain or Shine!

Join cyclists of all ages in celebrating Toronto Bike Month with a pedal
powered parade, ringing our bells for bike lanes on Bloor.

Free bike bells for all cyclists - plus bike flags - clowns - face
painting - bike dancing in the street - music.

Last year's Bells on Bloor ride was a huge success with 400+ cyclists.
This year we're aiming for One Thousand Bells on Bloor -- the bike
advocacy event of the year!

Ring out for bike lanes on Bloor!

For more info: http://www.bellsonbloor.ca
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=15968857358

Co-sponsored by
http://www.TaketheTooker.ca
http://www.bikeunion.to/
http://www.curbside.on.ca/swf/

Check out the 150 other Toronto Bike Month events:
http://www.toronto.ca/cycling/events/index.htm

Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington are back!
Sunday May 25, 1 - 10 p.m. (and the last Sunday of each month)

Get outdoors and join us for our first Pedestrian Sunday of the year where
the streets will be swarmed with smiles, buzzing with activity, and
bursting with life. Bring the kids for the opening of our giant pinata.
Come welcome the return of the Garden Car! Bring friends and family for
the unveiling of Kensington's National Historic Recognition plaque. And
don't miss a flirty swing around the Maypole!

Everyone say:  CAR FREE KENSINGTON!

http://www.pskensington.ca/

Toronto Film Screening, Fundraiser, and Panel Discussion:
JUSTICE FOR BARRIERE LAKE!

The Barriere Lake Caravan will be traveling from Montreal to Toronto and
then on to Ottawa.
Please join us for the Toronto leg of the Caravan, where a film about the
Algonquin of Barriere Lake (ABL) will be screened. Members of the ABL –
spokesperson Marylynn Poucachiche and former Chief Michel Thusky – will be
speaking about the history of the current crisis in their community along
with noted Aboriginal analyst Russell Diabo, who will describe current
provincial and federal government strategies designed to derail First
Nations' struggles across the country and to subvert internal indigenous
governance.

   ***
SUNDAY, MAY 25, 2008, 7pm-9pm
937 Bloor Street West
At the Concord Café (b/w Ossington and Dovercourt)
$5 Suggested donation

   ***

For twenty difficult years, the small Algonquin community of Barriere
Lake, 5 hours north of Montreal, has been struggling to hold the
government to their word. In 1991, they signed a pioneering resource
co-management and sustainable development agreement with Canada and Quebec
to protect Algonquin land uses, conserve the forest and wildlife, and give
them a share in the resource revenue from the logging and hydro projects
on their traditional territories.

The Canadian government walked away from the agreement in 2001. And the
Quebec government has sat on recommendations for implementing its side of
the agreement since 2006. Instead of fulfilling their obligations, the
Federal Department of Indian Affairs, with the support of the Quebec
government, has been playing divide and rule in Barriere Lake, wreaking
havoc in the community by ousting the Customary Chief and Council and
illegally appointing a small faction as the leadership.

Join us in Toronto for this second leg of the Barriere Lake Caravan before
it travels on to Ottawa, as we demand that Quebec follow
through with its binding agreements and stop meddling in the internal
governance of Barriere Lake!

BARRIERE LAKE SOLIDARITY

<http://www.barrierelakesolidarity.blogspot.com>www.barrierelakesolidarity.blogspot.com
email:
<mailto:barrierelakesolidarity at gmail.com>barrierelakesolidarity at gmail.com
Phone: 647-227-6696

Green Screens
- screenings - discussions - workshops
with the National Film Board
FREE
May 26 - 31
150 John St. (south of Queen, Osgoode subway station)

Films include:
- The World According to Monsanto (Toronto premiere)
- Up the Yangtze
and more.

http://nfb.ca/mediatheque/dethoraire.php?actif=0&idT=&idSM=&id=1062

GATHERING OF MOTHER EARTH PROTECTORS

Sovereignty Sleepover:  Toronto, Queen's Park May 26th - May 29.

Rally:  Queen's Park Mon. May 26th, 5 p.m. -  dusk.

Respect the right of First Nations to say no to economic exploitation and
environmental destruction.
No jail for saying no.
Free Bob Lovelace and the KI Six.

On May 26th Indigenous communities will gather at Queen's Park to uphold
our duty to protect the land, forest, water, and air and to promote
respect for our Indigenous rights to say no to economic exploitation and
environmental destruction.  It is time to end the jailing and harassment
of our people for protecting mother earth and traditional ways.  Please
come to our large rally on May 26th at the legislature.  We are also
inviting supporters to join us in four days of ceremony, speakers,
workshops, music, and a three night sovereignty sleep-over directly on the
front lawn of the legislature.

Right now Indigenous communities across Ontario are taking a stand to
assert our right to protect our traditional territories and the future of
our peoples.  Our communities are peacefully protesting destructive
industrial projects that the government is permitting on our traditional
lands without community consent.

Rather than respecting Treaties of co-existence and the UN recognized
Indigenous right to withhold consent over industrial projects on
traditional lands, the Ontario government is harassing Native people and
jailing community activists and leaders including Bob Lovelace, Donny
Morris, Sam McKay, Jack McKay, Cecilia Begg, Darryl Sainnawap, Bruce
Sakakeep, and others.  This cannot stand!  Please join us in supporting
freedom for First Nations and respect for the land.

NO CONSENT means STOP the DESTRUCTION to MOTHER EARTH!

We Need: volunteers, donations of money, food, tents, blankets, billeting,
endorsements, and publicity.
 Please let us know if your group wants to organize an event during the
Gathering on May 27, or May 28.

To help out, or for information updates contact:
sovereigntysleepover at gmail.com

Supporters: come prepared to take care of your own needs and to take
direction from the communities.

This is an event of: Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI), Ardoch Algonquin
First Nation, Asubpeeschoseewagong Netum Anishinabek (Grassy Narrows First
Nation) [others may join soon].

Supporters: Christian Peacemaker Teams, Rainforest Action Network, No One
is Illegal Toronto, Canadian Federation of Students, Canadian Labour
Congress, CAW Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice and Democracy, Ryerson
University.

A fundraiser for the Toronto Cyclists Union! - get your tickets before
they sell out.

Thursday May 29th - 7pm

A film screening of Pee-wee's Big Adventure, supported by a live cast
featuring members of the Hidden Cameras, Broken Social Scene, Apostle of
Hustle, Kids on TV, The Old Soul, Republic of Safety, the Phonemes and
more! Lex Vaughn as Pee-Wee. Gentleman Reg as Francis.

With guest appearances by Sook Yin Lee & City Councillor Adrian Heaps!

More details and ticket locations here:
http://www.bikeunion.to/ultrasound.htm

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in