TO events: ride, rally for students, mining and toxics

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon May 19 21:56:50 EDT 2008

Ride of Silence

The Sixth annual Ride of Silence will happen Wed. May 21st, at 7 p.m.
starting from the south east corner of Spadina and Bloor.

The ride is to commemorate the deaths of cyclists around the world.

For more information contact Derek Chadbourne at goomann at gmail.com

Rally against fee hikes and repression of dissent at University of Toronto

Wednesday, May 21, 3:30 PM
Simcoe Hall, University of Toronto, 27 King's College Circle

14 U of T STUDENTS CHARGED FOR PEACEFUL SIT-IN

I am writing to you today as an ally of the 14 University of Toronto
students that were pressed with criminal charges for their participation
in a peaceful sit-in on March 20, 2008.  The student leaders were speaking
out for the entire student body against increasing tuition and residence
fees.

As a result of their courageous attempts at being heard by the campus
administration, 14 students and organizers were charged and arrested for
alleged criminal offences, and face strict bail conditions which prohibit
them from associating with one another outside of courts and classes and
bar them from protesting anywhere on UofT property. In addition, several
UofT students, staff and alumni have been completely banned from UofT
property. One organizer was held in police custody overnight, while others
were held for unusually long periods of time. Additionally, UofT is
investigating 12 students under the Code of Student Conduct.

The harsh measures taken by the administration has been unprecedented in
the last decades on Canadian university campuses.  We are calling on
community allies and colleagues to maintain the momentum of our campaign
by:

Writing letters of endorsement.  Sample letters of support can be found at
<http://fightfees.ca/allies/ag-letter>http://fightfees.ca/allies/ag-letter;

 Involving your members  by signing the petition at
<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fightfees>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fightfees.
 Hard copies can be printed out from
<http://www.fightfees.ca/>www.fightfees.ca

- Donating funds and/or materials: Please donate to the costs of legal
proceedings, which all 14 individuals have to incur. Please let organizers
know if you are able to provide other materials/services (ie. photocopying
facilities, helping to collect signatures on petitions, etc).

For further information: Sheila Hewlett: (416) 409-3873; Deena
Dadachanji: (647) 887-8256; E-mail:
<mailto:fightfees at gmail.com>fightfees at gmail.com; Web:
<http://www.fightfees.ca>http://www.fightfees.ca

Indigenous resistance to industrial mining in Chile:
a talk by Sergio Campusano

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 7:00 p.m.
Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, University of Toronto
Debates Room, 2nd floor (south west of Museum subway, off of Harbord St)

In a rare visit to Canada, Sergio Campusano - an eloquent speaker on the
subject of indigenous resistance to industrial development -- will share
the struggle of his people against Canadian gold, uranium and copper
extraction industries on ancestral lands.

There will be special mention of the infamous Pascua Lama mine, which
threatens the water supply for 100,000 farmers at the drought-ravaged
border of Chile and Argentina.

The Diaguita community has pressed charges against the Chilean State for
its complicity with these corporations, including a notice to appeal
before the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.

Their fight is not only for survival and human rights, but also to
preserve the living systems of the Earth, which they regard as sacred.

Community leaders from Guatamala and Honduras, in Toronto for the Goldcorp
AGM, will also share their struggles to protect the land against open-pit
industrial mining.

This event is the final evening in a two week long series of events
focused on international indigenous resistance to indigenous resistance to
Canadian corporations Barrick Gold and Goldcorp.

For more information on indigenous resistance to gold mining see
<http://protestbarrick.net/>http://protestbarrick.net and
<http://rightsaction.org/>http://rightsaction.org/

Contact organizer: Paul York
<mailto:pyork_2002 at hotmail.com>pyork_2002 at hotmail.com               647-342-7995

Toronto's Green Diva Tracey TieF presents 3 events:

---------------

What: Earth Circle Cinema: Films about food, and a discussion of how we
can grow our own food in the city

When: Wednesday, May 21, 7 to 9 pm

Where: Anarres Natural Health Clinic, 12 Ossington Crescent

By Donation, all proceeds go to Saint Clare Multifaith Housing Society's
communal dining programs.

The True Cost of Food
In this humorous animated short, The Sierra Club wakes us up with the
reality of what our food is really costing us. Learn how we can make
decisions in the grocery store that help lower not just the price of the
food we are buying, but the cost to our environment, our animals and our
farmers as well.
15 minutes in English. Written by Jonah Sachs and Tate Hausman, directed
by Tate Hausman.

How To Save the World
One Man, One Cow, One Planet. Can one man and one cow save the earth? Is
it possible that instead of developing higher tech solutions to our
farming problems, that we might see better results through an arcane
method called biodynamic farming that uses cow dung buried in a horn for 6
months and our hands to spray our fields in a spiral motion? Not only is
it possible, it is happening, and Peter Proctor is leading the way to a
world-wide revolution in how we grow our food.
56 minutes in English. Produced and directed by Tom and Barbara Burstyn.

---------------

What: Non-Toxic Women Workshop

When: Friday, May 23, 7 to 9 pm

Where: Anarres Natural Health Clinic, 12 Ossington Crescent

There's so much that's said to be bad for you, and bad for the
environment, but who do you believe, and where do you start? Don't worry;
be healthy! From phthalates and plastics, to parabens and probiotics,
Tracey will talk with us about the toxins that commonly plague us in our
environment and about simple, immediate solutions that will benefit our
health and our planet. Together we will look at The Diva Cup and Keeper
and other healthy alternatives to conventional pads and tampons. We will
discuss common household cleaning, bath, baby and beauty products that can
easily be replaced with healthful products you can make yourself, or buy
locally. You'll come away with your own list of easy, life enhancing
changes you can start making today, and the information you need to make
healthy decisions for you and your family.

Please feel free bring along some of your favorite personal care products
and find out what really lies within!

---------------

What: OPEN HOUSE The Spring Detox Lab ~ a drop in, Pay What You Want, DIY
event

When: Friday, May 30, 7 - 9 pm, Drop In, but please RSVP

Where: Anarres Natural Health Clinic, 12 Ossington Crescent

Move over spa – I'm learning a few tricks of my own! The Anarres Clinic
kitchen will be all set up for making stimulating sea salt and sugar
scrubs, magnificent massage oils, bodaceous bath salts, fantastic face
masks and intriguing infused oils.  Over snacks and tea, I'll guide you
through the process of making your ideas take shape. You'll come away with
absolutely original, and useful, detoxifying goodies you've made for
yourself, or to give as a gift, and skills that can serve you for a
lifetime for a fraction of the cost of a spa habit. Bring your own
packaging, or buy glass bottles and vegetable cellulose bags here. You can
use your Workshopper Card to attend, or Pay What You Want for what you
take home (suggested prices available for the timid).

Tracey TieF
Certified Natural Health Practitioner
416.535.9620 or <mailto:anarreshealth at gmail.com>anarreshealth at gmail.com
<http://www.anarreshealth.ca>www.anarreshealth.ca

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in