road tolls, bikes, food, toxics, price of oil, films, meds

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Jun 10 09:16:02 EDT 2008

"The truth is that no combination of solar, wind and nuclear power,
ethanol, biodiesel, tar sands and used French-fry oil will allow us to
power Wal-Mart, Disney World and the interstate highway system– or
even a fraction of these things in the future. We have to make other
arrangements."

-James Howard Kunstler, author of "World Made by Hand" (his newest
book) in an article published in the Washington Post on May 30th.
www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/05/30/9315/

Montreal City hall aiming to impose road tolls

The Montreal Gazette
June 6, 2008

The administration of Mayor Gérald Tremblay wants to impose road tolls
across the region.

Calling it a "socially responsible user fee," city executive committee
member André Lavallée announced in a speech yesterday the city hopes to
convince off-island mayors to agree to install electronic tolls and to
dedicate the $400 million to $450 million in anticipated annual revenue to
public transit.

Full article:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=790e0c98-42c2-4c5d-ad06-0ea3ecf74954

The PM can help break the cycle of energy dependency - with bicycles
by Albert Koehl

Special to Globe and Mail Update

June 6, 2008 at 12:37 AM EDT

I am cycling along Bloor Street, a busy downtown Toronto thoroughfare,
when it hits me. It's not a car door (this time) but an idea that would
help
Prime Minister Stephen Harper become a
Global-Leader-In-The-Fight-Against-Global-Warming, as he likes to refer to
himself, while respecting the values of his conservative agenda.

Full article:
http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/TheGlobeAndMail-Front/~3/305832009/

Vandana Shiva deserves the Nobel Peace Prize.

"Give up the forced linking with an international commodity market. Allow
farmers to grow and give them a just price. We can solve the problem
tomorrow.

I work with 400,000 farmers in India growing organic food. We have doubled
yields and doubled output on farms. Nobody is dying of starvation in the
villages where there is organic farming."

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/Templates/Postings/AJIFreeTemplatePage.aspx?FRAMELESS=false&NRNODEGUID=%7bD1347B14-5364-45C5-8C46-950C6541801D%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fNR%2fexeres%2fD1347B14-5364-45C5-8C46-950C6541801D%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest

Contaminated Without Consent

<http://www.contaminatedwithoutconsent.org/>http://www.contaminatedwithoutconsent.org/

Contaminated Without Consent is a 16-minute video available free for you
to use to help inform your community about the hidden risks from chemical
contaminants found in our homes, workplaces, the products we buy, and even
our bodies.

This video was produced by Sanford Lewis of Strategic Video for the
Chemical Safety Workgroup, a coalition of public health and science based
NGOs working on toxics protections.

An open letter to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 26th May 2008

Your Majesty,

In common with the leaders of most western nations, our prime minister is
urging you to increase your production of oil. I am writing to ask you to
ignore him. Like the other leaders he is delusional, and is no longer
competent to make his own decisions.

You and I know that there are several reasons for the high price of oil.
<snip>

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2008/05/27/majesty-we-have-gone-mad/

Economic Hitman
First bribes, then bullets
<http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/317.html>http://www.brasschecktv.com/page/317.html
10 minute video

A bullet or a Swiss bank account?
That's the choice Third World leaders of resource rich countries have been
offered since at least post-World War II.

Our gangster government, owned in reality by corporations, uses tax payer
resources to subvert countries all over the world.

The first line of offense? Loans. Easy term loans.

Good site for downloadable political films of all sorts:

http://www.brasschecktv.com

Carbon Capture & Storage: More Questions than Answers

"There are a lot more questions than there are answers about the viability
of this technology [carbon capture and storage] commercially on a large
scale...but there are many other alternatives: solar, geothermal, wind
energy, combined heat and power, most of which are already commercial on a
large scale."—Worldwatch President Christopher Flavin, May 27, 2008.

Watch:
<http://www.elabs5.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=lizj,2bnr,db,8rn3,hqjm,cdbq,7xpq>Energy
and Earth's carbon capture roundtable. (To find video, click "interactive
program guide.")

<>
Hormone serotonin, impulsivity linked in British study

"Our results suggest that serotonin plays a critical role in social
decision making by normally keeping aggressive social responses in check,"
said Molly Crockett, a PhD student at the University of Cambridge
Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute.

"Changes in diet and stress cause our serotonin levels to fluctuate
naturally, so it's important to understand how this might affect our
everyday decision making."

The British study in the June 6 edition of the journal Science is among
the first to show a causal link between low levels of serotonin in the
brain and impulsivity.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jz-gL70AxyqWy8LM5IhPVf2jtvkw

Walk for Tears

A cross-Canada walk organized by an Aboriginal activist in Vancouver is
being organized to remember missing and murdered women across Canada, and
particularly  Aboriginal women and girls.  The walk will begin on National
Aboriginal Day, June 21, and proceed to Ottawa by mid-September.

Information, including the 10 Ontario locations through which the Walk is
happening, is at http://walk4justice.piczo.com/?cr=6

Kenora Aug. 5  to  Ignace Aug. 7
Ignace Aug 9  to  Thunder Bay Aug 11
Thunder Bay Aug 13  to  Marathon Aug 15
Marathon Aug 15  to  Wawa Aug 16
Wawa Aug 17  to  Sault Ste Marie Aug 19
Sault Ste Marie Aug 21  to  Sudbury Aug 24
Sudbury Aug. 25  to  Toronto Aug 29
Toronto Sep 2  to  Tyendinaga Sep 4
Tyendinaga Sep 8  to  Ottawa Sept 12

Children and the Bi-Polar Epidemic

from:
ALLIANCE FOR HUMAN RESEARCH PROTECTION
Promoting Openness, Full Disclosure, and Accountability
http://www.ahrp.org and
http://ahrp.blogspot.com

FYI

The astounding 'bipolar' epidemic among America's children has no
scientific-epidemiological explanation. It is generated by
financially-compromised child psychiatrists who "diagnose" normal, but
irritable children whose behavior may be disruptive. Such children are
misdiagnosed as having a severe, chronic, disabling condition--the current
diagnosis du jour is bipolar. This "diagnosis" condemns a child to be
exposed to the most toxic drugs (antipsychotics and anticonvulsants) whose
documented severe adverse effects pose life-threatening risks for children
and adults.

To appreciate the insidious influence of pharmaceutical industry money on
the creation of a U.S. children's bipolar epidemic, see:
"Pediatric bipolar disorder: An object of study in the creation of an
illness" by Dr. David Healy and Joanna Le Noury,
International Journal of Risk & Safety in Medicine 19 (2007) 209-221 209.
EXCERPT at:
http://ahrp.blogspot.com/2007/12/pediatric-bipolar-disorder-creation-of.html

The New York Times expose documenting legal violations by Harvard
psychiatrists--Dr. Joseph Biederman and Dr. Timothy Wilens--who failed to
disclose their financial ties to drug manufacturers--poses a serious threat
to Harvard's reputation.
http://ahrp.blogspot.com/2008/06/front-page-article-in-new-york-times-by.htm

The financial revelations, uncovered by Senator Chuck Grassley, come on the
heels of a scandal involving another prominent Harvard psychiatrist with
copious financial ties to drug manufacturers--Jack Gorman. See:
http://ahrp.blogspot.com/2007/11/cover-up-gorman-case-professional-moral.htm

Bloomberg News reported that Dr. Biederman is currently recruiting 4- to
6-year-olds with bipolar disorder to test AstraZeneca's antipsychotic,
Seroquel, and another group of 6- to 12-year-olds to test Equetro, developed
by U.K.-based Shire Ltd.
See: Harvard Doctors Failed to Disclose Fees, Senator Says By Rob Waters
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601124&sid=aXgL9xC2OWho&refer

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in