TO Events: Black out parties, Bolivia, Farmer John, Carbon tax forum

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Thu Aug 14 08:44:21 EDT 2008

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Blackout Anniversary
Three Parties - One Celebration
8 pm to 10 pm, Thur. Aug. 14

Thursday August 14, 2008 is the 5th anniversary of the great blackout,
when our city rediscovered itself as "Toronto the Good".  Remember when
life spilled out into the streets; remember talking to strangers; remember
when magic zapped out the mundane.

Join local merry-makers Streets are for People!, Newmindspace, Promise,
Reclaim the Streets, Drummers in Exile, Bike Pirates, Take the Tooker,
Bells on Bloor, Urban Repair Squad, Samba Elegua and the Kensington Horns
for three parties and one big celebration.

PARTY OPTION #1 - PARADE
8 pm - assemble Central Tech bleachers, (Harbord just east of Bathurst)
BRING - horns, drums, instruments of all kinds, noise makers, lanterns,
costumes (anything silly)
9 pm we depart

PARTY OPTION #2 - CRITICAL MASS BIKE RIDE
8 pm - assemble - Bloor and Spadina
BRING - the usual fun
8:15 depart
9 pm return to Bloor and Spadina

PARTY OPTION #3 - SILENT STREET RAVE
8 pm - assemble - 666 Spadina (at Sussex Ave.)
BRING - music player, glo-sticks, costumes, the usual fun

9:30 - Don't miss the Secret Grand Finale when three parties become one.

http://www.streetsareforpeople.org/blog/?p=23

BOLIVIA AT THE CROSSROADS

DATE: Thursday, August 14th, 7 p.m.
PLACE: Ryerson University, 40 Gould Street, Kerr Hall South, Room 251
INFO: torontoboliviasolidarity at gmail.com

Speakers:
Cynthia Cisneros Fajardo, Indigenous activist and participant in Bolivian
democratic process
Judy Rebick, CAW-Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice and Democracy, Ryerson
University

Movie:
Dancing with Evo

Bolivia's Indigenous peoples are pressing for an end to racism and
colonialism and for a new, inclusive democratic state.  Our August 14th
meeting will consider their struggle and the meaning for Canada and what
Judy Rebick has called "hope for the planet".

ACT for the Earth and The ACTivist magazine invite you to a special free
screening of the documentary film:

THE REAL DIRT ON FARMER JOHN
FRIDAY, 15 AUGUST 2008 at 8:00 p.m.
HARBOURFRONT CENTRE (Studio Theatre)
235 QUEENS QUAY WEST, TORONTO

The film will be preceded by a panel discussion on the sacred connections
between people, food, and community and followed by an audience Q&A.

The panel will include representatives from local CSA farms (community
supported agriculture), Farmers' Markets, and community food programs.

More details at http://www.actfortheearth.org.

Download event poster at http://www.actfortheearth.org/realdirt.jpg.

The Real Dirt on Farmer John will turn every idea you ever had about what
it means to be an American farmer, or an American dreamer, on its head.

Meet Farmer John Peterson, the incredible human being whose inspirational
story of revolutionizing his family farm and redeeming his own life has
won accolades and awards at film festivals around the world.

Director Taggart Siegel of Collective Eye made the film in a most unusual
way - shooting farmer John Peterson over 25-years of their evolving
friendship, and using multiple media, from 8 mm home movies to modern
video - allowing him to capture his alternately humorous, heartbreaking
and
spirited life with raw drama and intimacy.

With the death of his father during the late 60s, a teenaged John takes over
the traditional family farm, slowly turning it into an experiment of art and
agriculture, making it a haven for hippies, radicals and artists. The Real
Dirt on Farmer John charts the end of this idealistic era as the farm debt
crisis of the 1980s brings about the tragic collapse of the farm.

As the intricate weave of rural America unravels, vicious local rumours turn
John into a scapegoat, condemning him as a Satan-worshipping drug-dealer.
Threatened with murder, his home burned to the ground, John forsakes his
farm and wanders through Mexico, where he is transformed by the
soulfulness and pageantry of this ancient land. Mysteriously, his quest
leads him back to his hostile homeland.

Defying all odds, he gradually transforms his land into a revolutionary
farming community, a cultural mecca, where people work and flourish
providing fresh vegetables and herbs to thousands of people every week.

Event details are posted here:

http://www.actfortheearth.org/?p=26

For more information, contact:

Chris Davenport
ACT for the Earth
cdavenport at actfortheearth.org
http://ACTfortheEarth.org
LWR-238 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON  M5V 1Z7 Canada
Tel: 1-647-436-6398

Black-out Anniversary Pedestrian Sunday - Kensington Market Sun. Aug. 17

At P.S. Kensington, this Sunday Aug. 17 marks the 5th anniversary of the
day our consumptive society blew the fuse on our own power supply.  Come
and celebrate this realization and the relive the acts of community that
this day inspired with all acoustic music, kid-powered games and a special
evening theatrical performance in the streets of Kensington Market!
www.pskensginton.ca  Out with the lights, in with the music!

We can still some spare hands for a few hours each to help make this
Pedestrian Sunday as amazing as it can be–please call Kelsey to volunteer
(416)841-8549

http://www.streetsareforpeople.org/blog/?p=23

THE PRICE OF CARBON

Just Earth invites you to a community forum examining the link between
climate change and the cost of fossil fuels.

What changes do we need to make to fight global warming? What role can a
carbon tax play?  How can we take our concerns to the politicans?

Wednesday August 20th, 7 pm
Ralph Thornton Centre
765 Queen St E (just east of Broadview Avenue)

Admission is free

Featured Speakers:

* Peter Victor, Faculty of Environmental Studies, York University
* Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu, Environmentalist
* Peter Tabuns, MPP, Toronto Danforth
* Moderator: Lynn McDonald former MP; founder, Just Earth

For further information, contact
[<mailto:info at justearth.net>info at justearth.net or
<mailto:info at justearth.net>info at justearth.net

A PDF poster for the event can be downloaded at
<http://www.justearth.net/carbontax/aug20forum.pdf>http://www.justearth.net/carbontax/aug20forum.pdf.

<http://www.tourdegreenbelt.ca/image/your-mark>
Grab your bike and get ready to explore Ontario like never before!

This September, join Mountain Equipment Co-op and The Friends of the
Greenbelt Foundation as we explore Ontario‚s Greenbelt by bike.
Experience rural hospitality on any or all of four unique routes, each
loaded with fun and educational activities to highlight distinct features
of Ontario‚s 1.8 million acres protected Greenbelt, the world‚s most
diverse region of its kind.  Partnerships with local wineries and resorts
allow us to finish each ride in style, savouring fresh, local food and
sharing stories of our Tour de Greenbelt experience.

Enjoy the moment and change the future. 100% of your Tour de Greenbelt
pledge proceeds will be donated to participating cycling clubs, supporting
safe and active cycling networks in southern Ontario so you can return
again and again to cycle the bounty of Ontario‚s Greenbelt.

<http://www.tourdegreenbelt.ca/saturday-september-20-2008-rouge-park>Saturday
September 20, 2008 - Rouge Park Loop

<http://www.tourdegreenbelt.ca/sunday-september-21-2008-newmarket-lake-simcoe>Sunday
September 21, 2008 - Newmarket to Lake Simcoe

<http://www.tourdegreenbelt.ca/saturday-september-27-2008-burlington-balls-falls>Saturday
September 27, 2008 - Burlington to St. Catharines

<http://www.tourdegreenbelt.ca/sunday-september-28-2008-niagara-lake>Sunday
September 28, 2008 - Niagara-on-the-Lake Loop

For more details and to register for the first ever Tour de Greenbelt,
please visit us online at http://www.TourdeGreenbelt.ca or at Mountain
Equipment Co-op's Toronto location, 400 King Street West.

Mountain Equipment Co-op exists to help people enjoy the benefits of
self-propelled outdoor recreation. It actively supports initiatives that
enable Canadians to pursue outdoor adventure and conserve Canada's natural
environment.

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in