TO. Greenspirational Events

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Sep 23 20:38:42 EDT 2008

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Human River
Bike Float Workshops!
http://humanriver.ca/?page_id=14

Tues. Sept. 23 ~ 6:30-8:30pm. Hosted by Bike Pirates @ 1292 Bloor St. W
Sunday Sept. 28 ~ 2-5pm at Pedestrian Sunday in Kensington Market
Tues. Oct. 7 ~ 6:30-8:30pm. Hosted by Bike Pirates @ 1292 Bloor St. W

Join us for one or ALL of our three Bike Float Workshops!

These workshops are a fun opportunity to break out the glue and get to
know one another.
Using pop bottles, card board boxes and a variety of other reclaimed
materials we’ll work together to create bike floats and parade props for
this year’s Urban Water Cycle on Sunday, October 19. Outside of adding
fish tails to bike baskets, crafts will include, hand held birds and noise
makers.
After the Tuesday workshops, we’ll meander down to a local pub to chat.

Questions? Email contact at humanriver.ca.

DIY Natural Cleaning Workshop

When: Wednesday, September 24, from 7:30 to 8:30 pm

Where: Grassroots 372 Danforth Ave (near Chester Subway station).

Who: "Tracey TieF" <traceytf at gmail.com> of Anarres Natural Health

Cost: $15/person and includes materials to make your own products

A Do-It-Yourself green cleaning lab! Did you know that many household
cleaners contaminate your indoor air quality and wreak havoc on our
natural environment? You will create your very own set of easy-to-make
cleaning products and take home recipes that have been tested for
effectiveness and are good for your health and the environment! Bring
pre-used empty spritzer and squeeze bottles, and wide mouthed glass jars
for yourself and to share.

Pre-registration and payment is necessary to reserve a space. Register at
either Grassroots locations or call (416) 466-2841. Space is limited to 20
people.

Don't miss your chance to hear brash young global food activist DR. RAJ
PATEL, acclaimed author of:

STUFFED AND STARVED
Markets, Choice, and the Battle for the World's Food System

Thursday, September 25, 2008, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
William Doo Auditorium, 45 Willcocks St.
(just east of Spadina St., one streetcar stop south of Harbord St.)

As part of his academic training, Patel worked at the World Bank, World
Trade Organization and the United Nations. He has since become an
outspoken and noted critic of all these organizations, and has been
teargassed on four continents protesting against his former employers. -
Wikipedia

Repression at CKLN (Ryerson Campus Radio)

Find out more about what is happening at your radio station!

Teach in: Thursday, September 25th, 2008
7:00 - 9:00 pm

Confirmed Speakers: Barbara Goslowski, Don Weitz, Owen Sankara, Joeita Gupta

Oakham House, 65 Gould Street (corner of Church and Gould)

·      30 volunteers have been locked out of campus and community radio
station CKLN 88.1 FM

·      CUPE 1281 is contesting the recent dismissals of several paid staff

·      A Special General Meeting in February overwhelmingly voted (90%) to
dismiss management and impeach the Board of Directors

·      Although A new Board has been elected in accordance with CKLN
By-laws, the illegal board continues to occupy the station and control its
funds

What you can do:

Sign our online petition -
<http://www.gopetition.com/online/20115.htm>http://www.gopetition.com/online/20115.htm

Join weekly pickets - Sunday at Noon

De-fund fundfest - instead donate to "Take Back Our Radio" (Acct # 4882570
at Alterna Savings branches at Bay/College or Ryerson University -
Jorgensen Building).

Further Info:
Blog: <http://takebackourradio.blogspot.com>takebackourradio.blogspot.com
Email: <mailto:takebackourradio at gmail.com>takebackourradio at gmail.com
Phone: (416) 533-6630

Critical Mass Ride
Friday Sept. 26, 6 p.m. (leaving closer to 6:30) from Spadina/Bloor
(and the last Friday of every month)

Come together for a festive rolling celebration. It's an organized
coincidence with no leaders and no set agenda. People come together for
many reasons, to assert their right to cleaner air, less congestion, safer
roads, and to celebrate and ride in solidarity with other cyclists and
like-minded individuals. Join us -- it's safe, free and super fun.

LISTEN UP McGUINTY!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 11 am.

In Toronto, gather at Metro Hall Square (corner of King & John St.) and
march to Queen's Park en masse

**To Save Our Hospitals!*
Across Ontario, the McGuinty government is forcing drastic hospital cuts.
Core hospital services like Emergency Rooms, labs and birthing are being
moved out of communities, forcing patients to travel long distances for
care.
Small and rural hospitals are under threat.
Nurses and staff are being laid off and services are being privatized such
as foot care for people with diabetes and physiotherapy to help patients
recover. Patients are being force to pay out-of-pocket for two-tier
healthcare - something McGuinty campaigned against in the last election -
or go without.
User fees are increasing.
Cuts to cleaning, support staff and food services mean poor quality, dirty
hospitals and higher infection rates.
Demand that the McGuinty government stop the cuts and protect our local
hospitals.

*Because non-profit homecare in Ontario is at risk*
Ontario is the only province in Canada without a proper public non-profit
homecare system. The practice of "competitive bidding" -- putting homecare
out to bid for the cheapest offer -- is a race to the bottom and is
destroying our non-profit homecare agencies like the VON and the Red
Cross. Patient care is stressful when careworkers change as contracts are
lost. Staffing shortages are epidemic. Public money is being wasted on
excess administration and bidding processes that don't improve care.
Dalton McGuinty ran his last election campaign promising to stop
privatization of health care. He is breaking that promise. Now, after
promising a proper review of homecare Dalton McGuinty is trying to
entrench competitive bidding and for-profit privatization for contracts
that will stretch up to a decade.
Demand that the McGuinty government  stop competitive bidding and bring in
a public non-profit homecare system.

*Because We Can't Wait Any Longer for Improved Care Levels in Long Term
Care Homes*
Ontario has the second worst care levels in nursing homes of all Canadian
provinces and territories. Poor care levels lead to high rates of neglect,
violence, accidents and injury.
Inadequate care means that families have to pay for care out-of-pocket.
Seniors without families or supports go without.
Dalton McGuinty promised to bring in a minimum care standard in the last
election. But he has reneged on this promise.
Demand that the McGuinty government fulfill their promise and bring in a
minimum care standard for Ontario's long term care homes now.

For more info: Ontario Health Coalition
Tel: 416-441-2502
Email: ohc at sympatico.ca
http://www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca

The Inside Story on the Illegal May Day Port Shut Down
ANTI-WAR STRIKE

Guest speaker Jack Heyman, ILWU Local 10, San Francisco

Sat. Sept 27, 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Rm. 2-214 (near St. George Subway)

On May Day 2008, members of the International Longshore and Warehouse
Union shut down every port on the Pacific Coast from San Diego to Seattle
in opposition to the U.S.-led war in Iraq. This was the first time in
American history a union went on strike against a bosses' war.

Jack Heyman is the militant member of San Francisco ILWU Local 10 who
initiated the action. This powerful workers' action is a truly historic
event that provides a model for union activists in Canada and around the
world who want to organize effective opposition to the occupation of Iraq
and Afghanistan.

Sponsored by: International Bolshevik Tendency Forum
http://www.bolshevik.org
ph. 416 461 6864

Toronto's 28th Annual Take Back the Night
Surviving Our HerStories

Saturday, September 27 / Queen West Community at Grange Park (98 McCaul
St.) (to be finalized)

INFO: Deb Singh, Co-Coordinator, 416.597.1171 Ext. 23, email trcc at web.net

This year's theme is 'Surviving Our HerStories'. Take Back the Night is
about bringing visibility and exposure to the impact of sexual violence in
women's lives. It's a space created to ensure women and children can take
up space and have our voices heard.

The TBTN march is an event organized by feminist grassroots, anti-violence
& anti oppression activist groups all around the world with a focus on
safety for women and children. The march is for women and children only,
men are encouraged to attend in solidarity, by participating in the other
activities, including the provision of childcare so their partners,
mothers, sisters, and aunties can march. TBTN is a Trans -Positive,
wheelchair accessible event with ASL interpretation, childcare and
refreshments.

You can be a part of Take Back the Night by spreading the word to every
woman you know. The Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against
Rape is a non-profit, grassroots womanist/feminist organization committed
to fighting violence against women and children. Our vision is to work
towards the eradication of all forms of violence against women and
children from all races, social & economic classes, cultural backgrounds,
sexual orientations, ages, disabilities/differences, religious, spiritual,
and political beliefs.

We welcome ALL woman-identified community members/community organizations
to come and share their wisdom in creating a fun, activist Take Back the
Night this year. We invite all survivors to come and share our
perspectives on how to make this event about us!

Pedestrian Sunday in Kensington Market
Sunday Sept. 28, 1 - 10 p.m.
Sept. theme: Earth! Global Harvest Traditions

Free and Car Free and Care Free street action!

Pedestrian Sundays don't permanently change the streets, they forever
change the way you perceive them!

Want to see Pedestrian Sundays in your neighbourhood? Get in touch with
Shamez to find out how - 416 929 4900.

See you in the streets!

Naomi Klein on the Shock Doctrine
The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

Monday, September 29 @ 6.30pm / Bloor Cinema, 506 Bloor St.W.

INFO: 416.978.7770; email opirg.toronto at utoronto.ca; web www.opirguoft.org

Tickets are $8.00 in advance, $10 at the door

Tickets Available at:

-  Toronto Women's Bookstore: 73 Harbord St.
-  OPIRG - Toronto Office: 563 Spadina Ave.
-  University of Toronto Students' Union Office: 12 Hart House Circle
-  University of Toronto Mississauga Students' Union Office: 3359
Mississauga Rd. N.

**All proceeds going to support the communities of Tyendinaga Mohawk
Territory and the Algonquins of Barriere Lake**

Bestselling Writer, award winning Journalist and Filmmaker Naomi Klein is
speaking in Toronto on Monday, September 29th on the release of her new
book: "The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism".

In THE SHOCK DOCTRINE, Naomi Klein explodes the myth that the global free
market triumphed democratically. Exposing the thinking, the money trail
and the puppet strings behind the world-changing crises and wars of the
last four decades, The Shock Doctrine is the gripping story of how
America's "free market" policies have come to dominate the world-- through
the exploitation of disaster-shocked people and countries.
(www.naomiklein.org)

Urban Issues in the Federal Election: Why the Feds matter to cities and
why cities should matter to the Feds

Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Debates Room, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle
Panel Discussion

For list of panelists and description:
http://www.environment.utoronto.ca/Events/UrbanIssues.aspx

CLIMATE CATASTROPHE and SOCIAL JUSTICE
ANALYSIS AND ACTION

SATURDAY, OCT. 4  9 am - 6 pm
Earth Sciences Centre Auditorium. 22 Russell St. Room 1050
FREE

Keynote Speaker - Prof. Emeritus JOHN MCMURTRY

Sponsored by Science for Peace in collaboration with U.of T Students'
Union, Graduate Students' Union, UTERN, OPIRG, and Students Against
Climate Change,  as part of U of T Environment Week (see
utern.sa.utoronto.ca)

There will be expert speakers and interactive workshops with
Greenpeace, Ecojustice, Prof. Doug MacDonald, Prof. Paul Hamel, Prof.
Danny Harvey, Prof. Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg, Friends of the Earth
Australia, and others.

Themes and subjects to be addressed include: tar sands, nuclear energy,
law reform, political analysis, militarization and corporatization of
campuses, agro-business, food toxicity and health, water justice and more.

Student participation is encouraged; to volunteer contact:
climate-change at hotmail.com.

Streets to Homes has shipped people out of the downtown into the far
corners of the city and left people to fend for themselves with almost no
money, support or resources. At the same time, the City has been gutting
shelter beds, meals, drop-ins and attacking people on the street.

This is part of a bigger campaign to try to kick poor people out of the
neighbourhoods that we have lived in for years to make room for rich condo
dwellers and other yuppies.
The City has used the cops to harass people, laying over 10,000 tickets
last year alone. They encourage residents and business associations to
target poor people and the places that we congregate.

Streets to Homes has helped to legitimize the displacement of poor people
by telling the public that people are being housed. But people aren’t
being housed - they are being abandoned. Many of the units people are
stuck in do not meet basic legal standards for repair and are far away
from meals and services.

On October 4th, Nuit Blanche events will create space for artists to
takeover parts of the City. Over a million dollars is being dropped on
this one night by the City and the Province while people go hungry on our
streets.

On October 4th, poor people in the downtown east end and our supporters
will take over the street to celebrate the fact that we have not been and
will not be pushed out of the neighbourhood.

for more info: 4169256939
Email: ocap at tao.ca

PARTICIPATION OPPORTUNITY

What: The Sunshine Walk - Canada Walks for Climate Justice - Re-Imagine
Our World
Where: Toronto to Ottawa, Ontario
When: Oct 4 - 20, 2008

Launch: The Sunshine Walk
CLIMATE JUSTICE WALK TO OTTAWA
Re-imagine our World

Launch -- SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4, 2008
12:00 (noon) to 1:00pm
Queen's Park, Toronto
Subway: Queen's Park (University & College)

Every hour, the sun beams as much energy at the earth as
humanity collectively uses in a year. All we have to do is
harness it. Truly sustainable energy sources - solar, wind,
geothermal and marine power - exist all around us. We don't
need to rely on oil, gas and nuclear. A better world is necessary
and possible -- we must inspire our government to ensure that
it's just and sustainable.

It's time Canada worked toward facilitating a global shift to
alternatives. And it's time Canada played a leadership role in influencing
other G8
nations to embrace clean energy.

This October 4, a group of like-minded people will begin a walk
with friends from Toronto to Ottawa to deliver our message, and
yours, on climate change solutions. Please join us - share your
vision of the best solutions or what you or people in your
community are already doing to make the shift away from dirty
energy.

We'll visit many towns and meet many friends along the way
in places such as Pickering, Darlington, Oshawa, Port Hope,
Cobourg, Trenton, Belleville, Napanee, Kingston, Godfrey,
Sharbot Lake, Perth, Carleton Place and Ottawa.

Come out at the beginning of the walk, the end, somewhere in
between or for the whole thing - share your clean, green
solutions with us in a letter or picture & we'll deliver them
to our new government in Ottawa on October 20.

For dates, stops along the way and other details, please visit
<http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com>http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com or
<http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk>http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk
If you don't find the answers you need there, email:
<mailto:info.sunshinewalk%40gmail.com>info.sunshinewalk at gmail.com.

Join us in Toronto on October 4 - Rain or Shine.
<http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/alternativeenergy/solar-power-profile.html>http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/environment/alternativeenergy/solar-power-profile.html

Please watch the documentary by Journalist Afsan Chowdhury
"Does Anybody Care if Bangladesh Drowns?":
<http://www.youtube.com/user/afsan2008>http://www.youtube.com/user/afsan2008

Organized by the Sunshine Walk Committee and supported by
Drishtipat Canada (DP Canada); Young Bangladeshi Canadian
Professionals (YBCP); Greenpeace; United Steelworkers; the
Canadian Federation of Students; the Council of Canadians;
Climate Action Network; David Suzuki Foundation and other
faith and multi-cultural groups, ENGO's, First Nations, Human
Rights Organizations and Teachers and Student groups.

Rita Bijons
<mailto:info.sunshinewalk%40gmail.com>info.sunshinewalk at gmail.com
(416) 766 6331
<http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com>http://sunshinewalk08.blogspot.com
<http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk>http://www.torontoclimatecampaign.org/sunshinewalk

Send a Local Apple to City Hall in Support of Local and Sustainable Food
for Toronto!

We want to send a clear message of support for local and sustainable food.
What better way than with bushels of fresh and delicious Ontario apples?

Right now the City of Toronto spends $11 million per year on food for its
daycares, shelters, and seniors' homes. We want to make sure that they buy
local and sustainable food first!

To make this happen we need to get a local and sustainable food purchasing
policy passed first at the City's Government Management Committee and then
at a full City Council meeting.

Help us convince Councillors to adopt a local and sustainable food
procurement policy!

Sign the petition and send an apple to City Council.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/localfood

For every signature collected we will send an Ontario apple to City Council.

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in