Greenspiration News -- election, med madness, M. Moore

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Sep 23 20:45:34 EDT 2008

Greenspiration News
-------------------

Happy Car Free Day (Sept. 22)

"The car will lose in significance, and we have to move away from oil
and from modes of transport that hurt the climate. What this means in
reality: Our cities will change again. We are now experiencing the
passing of an era."

-Norman Foster, from one of the World's top architectural firms,
Foster and Partners, mastermind behind Abu Dhabi's carfree city
project of Masdar, on the future of cities. Translated from an
interview with ZEIT, on Aug.21.
www.zeit.de

"Dear Prime Minister, You say a pollution tax would wreak havoc on our
economy..."

A visual essay.

http://www.frankejames.com/debate/?p=111

Call for a moratorium on GE crops and foods

16 September 2008 (Ottawa) – A broad coalition of civil society groups is
calling on all candidates and Parties in the federal election to support
an immediate moratorium on all new genetically engineered (GE) crops and
food approvals until the government’s procedures for GE risk assessment
have be reviewed and strengthened to meet strict international and
scientific standards.

Canada and the U.S. are currently the only two countries in the developed
world that refuse to impose mandatory labeling of GE food.  “Monsanto’s
excessive influence in Ottawa explains why the Harper government and a
majority of MPs voted against Bill C-517 last May that would have labeled
GE foods and given Canadians the right to know,” said Tony Beck, steering
committee member with the Society for a GE Free B.C..

http://www.cban.ca/Press/Press-Releases/Federal-Election-Call-for-a-moratorium-on-GE-crops-and-foods

Supported by CBAN (Canadian Biotechnology Action Group) , Greenpeace,
National Farmers Union, Society for a GE Free BC

David Suzuki Foundation launches “Vote Environment” website

The David Suzuki Foundation has launched “VoteEnvironment2008.ca”. The
website demands that the next government -- regardless of which party
leads it -- address the urgent need for action on the environment. The
campaign’s interactive website aims to keep Canadians abreast of where the
parties stand on all the issues, wade through the political posturing, and
arm voters with the tough questions they need to ask of candidates who
aren't being clear about their position.

Visit the website:
<http://www.voteenvironment2008.ca>http://www.voteenvironment2008.ca

Election 2008: Pembina Reacts Blog

For expert commentary on the climate change announcements and platforms of
the major parties, check out the Pembina Institute's Election blog at:
<http://www.pembina.org/election2008>www.pembina.org/election2008

Send a sign that you’re voting for Real Action on climate change

Let your federal candidates know that climate change is a key issue for
you this election with a lawn sign from Voters Taking Action on Climate
Change.  Order your free sign at
<http://www.vtacc.org/vtacc_template.php?content=lawn_sign>http://www.vtacc.org/vtacc_template.php?content=lawn_sign

Election blog stirs it up, draws thousands
With over 20 contributors from across the country, our rabble federal
election blog is providing the best available progressive coverage of this
election, with multi-media updates daily. >by rabble staff
 http://www.rabble.ca/news_full_story.shtml?sh_itm=cb8eea4aef26be407d8dc971494bbfe8&rXn=1

Leading Canadian climatologist slams Conservative policies in new book

The federal Conservatives’ proposed climate strategy has no scientific
rationale and is blocking real action to reduce greenhouse gas pollution,
according to a book released last week by climatologist and IPCC lead
author Andrew Weaver. Keeping Our Cool: Canada in a Warming World has been
praised by Canadian academics as “the best single book on our climate
crisis and what we should do about it."

The book heavily criticizes the Conservative government for adopting
targets with no scientific rationale, dismantling and cutting funding to
key federal climate programs, muzzling federal researchers, rebuffing
requests for meetings from leading climate scientists, and obstructing
international efforts to reduce emissions.

Read the story:
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=0e8b4f2b-76d8-44bb-89f4-48f5fbe63ba3

Climate Action Fact CheCK

MYTH

         Taxing Pollution Will Wreck Canada’s Economy

REALITY

Economic studies show carbon pricing will spur innovation, investment and
jobs in Canada

FIVE FACTS TO CONSIDER ABOUT CARBON PRICING ON THE ELECTION TRAIL

FACT 1:  Economic studies show a carbon price can spur innovation,
investment and jobs in Canada.<outbind://160/#_ftn1>[1]  Huge economic
opportunities are being created in the low-carbon, clean energy industries
as more countries and jurisdictions with large economies move forward with
laws and policies to reduce global climate change.

FACT 2:  Many countries, including Germany, Sweden and Norway, have
implemented a tax on emissions while maintaining strong economies. A
carbon tax is one of the most powerful incentives and tools that
governments have to encourage companies and households to pollute less and
invest in cleaner technologies and practices.

FACT 3:  Pricing greenhouse gas emissions through a carbon tax or a
cap-and-trade system is supported by the world’s leading climate change
policy experts and endorsed by several international working groups
including the United Nation’s Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change.

FACT 4:  The cost of inaction on climate change is staggering. According
to British economist Nicholas Stern,<outbind://160/#_ftn2>[2] the author
of a comprehensive report on the economics of climate change, the effects
of famine, rising sea levels, storms and other environmental damage will
cost the global economy trillions of dollars. Stern found that the overall
cost of climate change could be between 5 to 20 percent of the world's
gross domestic product if governments fail to act now.

FACT 5:  If we act now, Canada will be able to compete in the growing
global market for clean, renewable energy and transportation technologies.
 But delaying the implementation of a carbon pricing policy risks reducing
Canada’s competitiveness in the economy of the future, not to mention the
risk of high costs from climate change itself, adaptation to climate
change, and higher emissions.

http://www.climateactionnetwork.ca

Climate Action Network is a coalition of Canada's leading environmental
groups.

Climate change matters in this election. Addressing climate change is
vital for our economy, our health and our future.

In a Federal Election it is our time to drill our politicians on issues
that are important to Canadians, so the Council of Canadians have set up a
new webpage to provide some background information and election questions
to help make the process easier.

We have organized information and questions on our five major areas of
concern: Water; Energy; Trade; Healthcare and Peace. Check it out:
http://www.canadians.org/08

More Nukes for Ontario? or Renewables?

We believe it is time to end nuclear energy’s free ride.  No other power
provider – whether it is a community-owned wind turbine or a large gas
generator – can pass on its capital cost overruns to Ontario’s electricity
consumers or taxpayers.  This is a special deal strictly for nuclear – and
it has to end.  We are calling on the government to pass a Nuclear Cost
Responsibility Act to close the nuclear cost loophole before we get burned
again.

If you agree, or want to find out more about how Ontario could become a
green leader instead of a nuclear throwback, visit our new website
http://<http://www.OntariosGreenFuture.ca>www.OntariosGreenFuture.ca and
sign our petition.

It’s your money.

Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Cyclists for the Edmonton Bike Plan							September 25, Thursday, 2008 @
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM:

Are you interested in improving cycling facilities in Edmonton?

In January 2009 the Bicycle Transportation Plan will be reviewed by City
Council; they will consider the allocation of 100 million dollars over the
next ten years to bring about the recommendations in the plan.

The cycling community needs to get together to ensure that the
recommendations and funding are committed. Join us.

Location: Stanley A. Milner Library, Room 7, Sixth Floor, 102nd Avenue and
100th Street
102nd Avenue and 100th Street

Contact: Michael Kalmanovitch, 780.439.8725
kalman at interbaun.com
<http://www.edmontonbikes.ca>http://www.edmontonbikes.ca

A spoonful of medicine

MEDICATION MADNESS
A Psychiatrist Exposes the Dangers of Mood- Altering Medications

You might think losing a child, a brother or a parent to suicide is the
worst tragedy in the world.

But, as a colleague who experienced such a loss said to me, it's not. The
worst thing is learning that loved ones might not have intended to kill
themselves; the deaths could have been caused by a legally prescribed
drug. The second worst thing is finding out a pharmaceutical company stood
to profit from concealing scientific data that might have saved lives.
<snip>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080920.BKMEDI20/TPStory/?query=breggin

Check out -- Radio Ecoshock -- a one hour all environment radio program
broadcast on 15 college and community stations in Canada and the U.S.  It
originates at CFRO 102.7 FM in Vancouver Canada.  Anyone can download the
programs from http://www.ecoshock.org or sign up for the podcast.

Michael Moore's latest film called "Slacker Uprising" is available free
for download http://SlackerUprising.com

"Slacker Uprising" chronicles the 62-city tour he did leading up to the
2004 election. It is electrifying to see the tens of thousands of young
people who were ready then for the uprising -- and who, this year, are
actually making it happen. This is his concert film tribute to the young
voters who are going to save America country from four more years of
Republican rule.

Go git it!

Montreal unveiled its new self-service bicycle system yesterday.

The program, named Bixi, will allow residents to borrow bicycles from one
station and drop them off at another.

“You grab it, you ride it, you bring it back,” said Montreal Mayor Gerald
Tremblay during a news conference. “It will become an emblem for
Montreal.”

Twenty-four hundred bikes will be available at 300 stations in six
Montreal boroughs. <snip>

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/2008/09/22/6837736-sun.html

The Conservative government’s record comes under fire in new e-book

Today the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) released "The
Harper Record", the most comprehensive analysis of the Conservative
minority government’s record to date.

“Scheduled for broad release in early October, we are releasing the
electronic version of this book today, to help Canadians make informed
choices about the future of their country,” says CCPA Executive Director
Bruce Campbell.

Edited by Canadian Labour Congress Researcher Teresa Healy, Ph.D., with
contributions from 47 policy analysts and economists, The Harper Record
documents in exhaustive detail the Conservative government’s performance
over the last two-and-a-half years.

“Contrary to the general perception that this has been a moderate
government, this book reveals that it, in fact, has taken significant
steps to transform Canada in a very short time. Harper's very conservative
vision has been advanced across a broad range of policies. It is a deeply
troubling prelude of things to come,” says Healy.

Similar to previous CCPA evaluations of previous governments, this
publication evaluates the Harper track record through a progressive lens.

The analysts find the Harper record falls woefully short when measured
against the great challenges of our time: climate change, inequality and
poverty, peace and stability, educating our children, protecting our
health, and managing the economy.

The Harper Record is available for free download from the CCPA website:
<http://www.policyalternatives.ca/>http://www.policyalternatives.ca

Beware the latest diagnosable and drug-able disease:

“School Avoidance Disorder”, the “Scientific” Name for School Skipping

School Avoidance, School Refusal or School Phobia is the latest normal
child behaviour to be turned into a capital-letter worthy “Disorder” by
psychiatrists and psychologists, and the start of the school year is
bringing out lots of Great Wonderful Articles in our ever-gullible media.
Thankfully, the “experts” have advice for kids so sick they actually
dislike our Perfect School System: “If the doctor suspects school phobia,
parents might consider therapy, medication and behaviour modification.”
Apparently the disorder can affect 25% of our kids! Aghhhhh! And it goes
without saying, if you don’t treat it right away, your child is liable to
suffer Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder later in life, so get on that!

http://mycanadianshield.ca/mindscape/?p=57

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in