T.O. Events: docs, forums, rallies

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 16 14:59:45 EST 2008

Toronto Greenspirational Events

Green Power to the People
CBC's the Fifth Estate

Germany vs. Ont.

Sunday Nov. 16, 11 p.m. CBC-TV

The Gospel of Green then turns to Canada and asks: if one man can
transform a country whose economy is so similar to that of Ontario, why
can't, and why isn't, that province embracing Scheer's gospel of green?
the fifth estate's investigation shows that after initially embracing the
philosophy of renewable energies, the pace of change has faltered. The
answer to why may lie in the power of Ontario's traditional energy giants.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2008-2009/the_gospel_of_green/

Green Screens presents:

WEATHER REPORT

Presented by the NFB Mediatheque in partnership with CIELAP
(Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy)
At the NFB Cinema

Monday, November 17
7 p.m.
FREE (Donations to CIELAP welcome)
at the NFB CINEMA
150 John Street (corner Richmond Street W., Osgoode subway)

Climate change is irrevocably altering the world as we know it,
challenging our sense of the future and the fundamental values of our
industrial societies. For two hundred years, we, in the west, have wagered
the world that economic growth is the highest form of progress, burning
more and more fossil fuels. But today, the rapidly industrializing
economies of India and China are forcing a reckoning with the western
model of development as climate disruptions and global warming are hitter
harder and faster than anyone predicted.

The question, the film poses, is no longer whether climate change is
happening but whether we ourselves can respond to the emergency in time to
make a difference.

Following the screening
CIELAP in conversation with Chris Gates (Senior Climate Change Policy
Advisor, with the Office of the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario)

416.973.3012
<http://www.nfb.ca/mediatheque>www.nfb.ca/mediatheque

KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives Invites you to a Forum:

CONNECTING THE DOTS ON THE FOOD CRISIS

Monday, November 17, 2008
9:15 to 4:30p.m.
Friends House. 60 Lowther Avenue, Toronto, Ontario
2 blocks north of Bloor at Bedford ˆ (St. George subway stop)
(lunch provided)

Speakers include:

Dr. Keshab Khadka, Head, Research Department, All Nepal Peasants‚
Federation Kathmandu, Nepal

Kenton Lobe, Policy Advisor, Canadian Foodgrains Bank

Sarojini Rengam, Executive Director, Pesticide Action Network, Asia-Pacific,
Co-Chair, People's Coalition on Food Sovereignty on Agri-business

John Dillon, Program Coordinator, Global Economic Justice, KAIROS

René Segbeneou, Coalition pour la Protection du Patrimoine Génétique Africain

Ineke Booy, Owner, Mapleton Organic Dairy Inc., Moorefield, Ontario
Member, National Farm Union‚s International Committee

Please RSVP by November 14 to:
Rusa Jeremic, KAIROS Tel: (416) 463-5312 x 225
E-mail: rjeremic at kairoscanada.org

 The Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse
presents a moderated panel discussion entitled:
“Harm reduction in a socio-political context: What's in a name?

 Monday, November 17th  - at 8:00 p.m.
Azrieli Theatre, Carleton University
Ottawa
This event is open to the public and admission is free.

This moderated discussion will try to expand and illuminate the sometimes
acrimonious harm reduction debate
by applying a socio-political lens to the question.

Panelists include
Walter Cavalieri, Founder, Canadian Harm Reduction Network
Janet Bagnall, editorial writer and columnist, the Montreal Gazette
Gail Czukar, Executive Vice-President, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
Dr. Michael Orsini, Associate Professor, Political Studies, University of
Ottawa
CCSA's Chief Executive Officer Michel Perron will moderate the discussion.
Dr. John Osborne, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences,
Carleton University, will provide introductory remarks.

For further information, visit
http://www.ccsa.ca/Eng/NewsAndEvents/Events/ChairLectureSeries/Pages/index.aspx

Award-winning film featuring founder of Brazil's anti-hunger movement
shows this Tuesday, November 18, at 7:00 pm, at the Revue Theatre, 400
Roncesvalles Street (Howard Park Ave.), Toronto.

"Three Brothers in Blood " shows the lives of the Brazilian brothers
Betinho, Henfil and Chico Mário, who made of solidarity the most important
weapon in their struggle for life. They helped to make Brazil a more just
and socially responsible country.

Presented at the Festival of Cinema in Paris in May 2008, "Three Brothers
in Blood" was voted   best film at the 5th Cine Fest Petrobras-Brazil in
New York. The film also was awarded the best script prize at the Festival
of Goiânia and at the Recine - International Festival of Archival Cinema.
It received honourable mention in the Femina Fest, in July, 2007. It was
also presented at the Festival of Rio de Janeiro and the International
Mostra of Cinema of São Paulo last year. The film was written and directed
by Ângela Patricia Reiniger (with Cristiano Gualda as co-scriptwriter).

The film describes the life of each of the three brothers and shows how
their actions are enmeshed with the political, social and cultural history
of Brazil in the second half of the 20th century. They contributed, each
in his own way, to the main transformations experienced by the Brazilian
people during this period.

Betinho, social scientist and activist, was exiled in Toronto in the
1970s, and later was the founder of two important mobilization campaigns
in Brazil: the Action Against Hunger and Deprivation and For Life.  In
1994, he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Henfil, a cartoonist who fought for the return of those in exile during
the military dictatorship, created the expression "Elections Now" which
became the central demand of the movement for the return of democracy to
Brazil.  Chico Mário was a musician, pioneer of independent music, and
composer of songs against torture.

All three were haemophilic contaminated by the HIV virus through blood
transfusion, and became a symbol of the fight against AIDS in Brazil. The
fact that the country today is a world-wide reference in the combat
against AIDS owes much to their pioneer actions and campaigns.

For them, the fight for life always took first place. "They were" in the
words of Frei Betto, "three brothers drunken with utopia, not only as a
dream, but as a project that engaged them in permanent activism".

Zuenir Ventura, from the newspaper O Globo, says that: "The director
managed to show, without sentimentality and with eloquence, how the three
brothers' fight against death can be seen as an exemplary lesson of life".
 In the newspaper Estado de São Paulo, the critic Luiz Zanin states: "a
beautiful and moving film that traces the ordeals of a family and of a
difficult and epic period of recent history". And the columnist Sebastião
Nery emphatically affirmed that "the film is careful, serious,
biographical, but above all, a political survey of the history of the
state of Minas Gerais and Brazil from the 1950s until the dictatorship of
1964.  It documents the struggles of resistance, of exile, of the
political opening, the amnesty, and the "Elections Now" campaign . Ângela
Reiniger did not make a film about people but about a period".

The Ryerson Centre for Studies in Food Security and the Betinho Project
(<http://www.ryerson.ca/betinho>www.ryerson.ca/betinho) present the
documentary on Tuesday, November 18, at 7:00 pm, at the Revue Theatre, 400
Roncesvalles Street (Howard Park Ave.), Toronto.

Partners in the Betinho Project include Food Share, the Toronto Food
Policy Council and The Stop Community Food Centre. "Our priority at this
moment is to raise money for the building of a Community Bake Oven at
Wychwood park in Toronto", explains Cecilia Rocha, director of the Centre
for Studies in Food Security. "The Bake Oven will serve as a monument to
celebrate  Betinho's life and work in Toronto".

The tickets for the movie session are for sale for only $5. For more
information please call Marcelo Paolinelli at 416-413-9471.

*This event is part of the fundraising efforts of the Betinho Project
(<http://www.ryerson.ca/betinho>www.ryerson.ca/betinho) for the building
of a Community Bake Oven which will be dedicated to Betinho. The Bake Oven
will be constructed as part of the Green/Arts Barn Project
(<http://www.thestop.org/>www.thestop.org) in Wychwood Park in Toronto.

KEEP ONTARIO ENERGY SYSTEM PUBLIC - REBUILD IT 100 % RENEWABLE &
ENERGY EFFICIENT

VIGIL:  PICKET THE CZARS OF FOSSIL FUEL AND RADIOACTIVE NUCLEAR ENERGY
TYRANNY IN ONTARIO

WEDNESDAY  NOV 19, ‘08
12 Noon - 1 PM

ALL WELCOME!

Metro Toronto Convention Centre
255 Front Street West
TORONTO, ONTARIO
http://floodiceorfire.wordpress.com/

<http://www.stopdumpsite41.ca/>http://www.stopdumpsite41.ca/

WALK FOR WATER - STOP DUMP SITE 41
Drinking water everywhere!
Seven-Day Walk to Protect Surface Springs, 600 gallons per minute flowing
naturally

Arrive at: Queens Park on November 21, 2008, 12 p.m.

Seven-Day Walk with Native drumming and singing to Queen's Park to ask
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, John Tory, and Howard Hampton and the
Right Hon. Stephen Harper, the Hon. Stephane Dion, the Hon. Jack Layton,
Elizabeth May, Bruce Stanton, M.P. and Olivia Chow, M.P., to STOP DUMP
SITE 41 which has been proposed to be built on one of Ontario's and the
world's cleanest surface springs of Georgian Bay's aquifers.

Contact:
Danny Beaton, Turtle Clan, Mohawk Nation
Ontario, Canada
Telephone: 416-921-0014
Email: <mailto:beatondanny at yahoo.ca>beatondanny at yahoo.ca
Website: <http://www.dannybeaton.ca/>www.dannybeaton.ca

GOOD JOBS NOW FOR ALL
for a  Greater Toronto
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 22nd
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Metro Toronto Convention CentreISTER NOW

THE NEW GLOBAL ECONOMY is rapidly changing the world of work. What is
happening to the principle of decent jobs, living wages, equity and a
secure future for all?
What will it take to improve living and working conditions in Canada’s
largest urban centre? Join with labour and community activists who are on
the front lines in the fight for good jobs, as we share experiences and
help craft winning strategies.
The Summit on Good Jobs will be one part of a long-term effort to tackle
the pressing issues of social equity and economic justice in the 21st
century.

http://www.goodjobscoalition.ca/index.php?option=com_eventlist&view=details&id=1:good-jobs-for-a-greater-toronto&Itemid=54

Rally for Green Energy!  Sat. Nov. 22nd

Ontario is at a crossroads in its energy future. We could repeat the
mistakes of the past and spend tens of billions of dollars on nuclear
energy ($$ for which we will be on the hook). Or we could spend those
billions towards the development of 100% renewable energy and
conservation.

Youth in Ontario will live with the consequences of the provincial
government's decision for their whole lives. This is your chance to tell
the Ministry of Energy loud and clear that we believe in a new path:
renewable is doable!

Join us on Sat. November 22nd from 1-2:30 at Minister of Energy George
Smitherman's Constituency Office on the corner of Parliament and
Winchester St. as we travel through the Ghosts of Energy Past, Present and
Future and let George know that Ontario's youth want a clean, just and
renewable energy future that does not include nuclear!

Organized by the Canadian Youth Climate Coalition, Sierra Youth Coalition,
Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Students Against Climate Change

Contact:
Monique Woolnough, <mailto:syc.ontario at gmail.com>ontario at syc-cjs.org
Paul York, <mailto:climate-change at hotmail.com>climate-change at hotmail.com
Darcy Higgins, <mailto:darcyhiggins at gmail.com>darcyhiggins at gmail.com

Facebook:
<http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=42050828981>http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=42050828981

Web Resources:
<http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.com/>http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.com
<http://studentsagainstclimatechange.blogspot.com/>http://studentsagainstclimatechange.blogspot.com/
<http://www.renewableisdoable.com/>http://www.renewableisdoable.com/
<http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/recent/ontario-wearing-economic-blind>http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/recent/ontario-wearing-economic-blind

ACTION ALERT! SUPPORT RENEWABLE WIND POWER IN TORONTO!

Dear Friend,

Right now, Toronto has an opportunity to take a giant step forward in
creating clean, green sustainable power
 but that opportunity may be
blocked before it even gets started.

Toronto Hydro is exploring the possibility of  putting windmills in the
Lake, about 2 km off the shores of the east end of our city.  The first
step is to install a wind measuring device in the Lake. Moving forward on
this proposal marks the first real step in turning around our energy
future. But Hydro will need permission to proceed, and a small but vocal
group is fighting even the current effort to measure the wind speeds.

If Toronto Hydro fails to get permission to take this basic first step
toward green, sustainable power, Toronto’s renewable energy future –and
our ability to deal with smog and global warming- may come to a screeching
halt!

That’s why we need you to come to an important community meeting that will
discuss the proposal on Monday, November 24th. We need to make sure
Torontonians -like you- who care about a renewable energy future are there
to express their support for testing winds in Lake Ontario. We need to
send a clear message to the Ontario Government that Torontonians care
about sustainable energy and we support windmills!

Please RSVP us immediately at
<mailto:rsvptorontowind at gmail.com>rsvptorontowind at gmail.com.

Meeting Details:

Monday, November 24th, 6:30 pm
Sir Wilfred Laurier Collegiate Institute
145 Guildwood Parkway, Scarborough
Go to
<http://www.torontoenvironment.org/windmills>www.torontoenvironment.org/windmills
 for a map.

To learn more about what you can do to support windmills and a renewable
energy future, visit
<http://www.torontoenvironment.org/windmills>www.torontoenvironment.org/windmills.

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/n/?group.php&gid=44556565959

--
Eulogies for Tooker and Stories for a
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in