T.O. Events -- wind, human power, housing and more

greenspi greenspi at web.ca
Mon Nov 24 13:09:28 EST 2008

Toronto Greenspirational Events

---

URGENT! Toronto’s Renewable Energy Future Up For Grabs
Monday, November 24th!

On Monday evening opponents will try to convince the Province of
Ontario that Torontonians don’t want windmills. We will have a chance
make sure windmills will be part of Toronto’s future, by turning out
and voicing our concern.

With your help, we can tell the government Torontonians want green,
renewable power.

The best way to send this message is by going to public meeting
organized by Toronto Hydro to discuss putting a wind measuring device
in Lake Ontario.

When: Monday, November 24th, 6:30 pm
Where: Sir Wilfrid Laurier Collegiate Institute
             145 Guildwood Parkway, Scarborough

There will be buses leaving from Kennedy Subway Station between 5:30
- 6:30 p.m. -- be there! These same buses will shuttle people back to
the station after the meeting ends.

Also, please sign the petition in support of windmills in the Lake by
going to: www.torontoenvironment.org/windmills/petition

Finally, please write a letter to the Ontario government letting them
know you support Toronto Hydro’s plan to put a wind measuring device
in Lake Ontario. For a sample letter, please go to
www.torontoenvironment.org/windmills/sampleletter.

For general information, please visit: www.torontoenvironment.org/
windmills

---
---

Canada After Bush: What is at Stake?

A forum with Steven Staples
President of the Rideau Institute

Monday, November 24th at 7:00pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto

This is an important and challenging time in Canada. We are about to
experience something that we have been eagerly anticipating for eight
years ˆ a White House without George W. Bush.

What will the election of Barack Obama as U.S. President mean for
Canada?

The Rideau Institute has been following the election closely, and has
published a dossier on the U.S. election called Canada After Bush:
How the Next US President Could Affect our Country.

Join Steven Staples, President of the Ottawa-based Rideau Institute
on International Affairs, as he explores the challenges facing Canada
in this new era, including:

·   The War in Afghanistan
·   Climate Change
·   Energy Security and Free Trade
·   Human Rights
·   Disarmament

Those concerned about peace, the environment, sovereignty and social
justice are invited to engage Steve in a discussion about the future
of Canada-US relations.

For more information contact:

Rob Acheson, (W) 416-493-9193  (H) 905-509-3903
or Lyn Adamson 416-596-7328
Co-Chairs, Toronto Chapter
Canadian Department of Peace Initiative

---
---

The Human Powered Home
Choosing Muscles over Motion

Catch the “Human Power Possibilities”

Thanks to pedals, treadles, and cranks, our muscles have operated
machines since Medieval times. Could we once again rely on human
power, rather than fossil fuels, to run our lives? How much power can
one person generate? Discover the answers to these questions and
learn about ingenious human-powered contraptions used around the
globe today.

Tues. Nov. 25th , 7:00 p.m.
University of Toronto’s Bahen Centre for Information Technology, Room
1170, 40 St. George Street (just north of College)

Presented by U.T.C.A.R.E. in collaboration with Fertile Ground
Environmental bookstore and featuring representatives from Chocosol,
which uses pedal-powered cacao bean grinders.

---
---

On November 25th to Commemorate the International Day of Elimination of
Violence against Women and Children

North York Women’s Shelter
presents Academy award nominated Deepa Mehta's latest feature film
Heaven On Earth

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 25, 6:30 pm
Cineplex Yorkdale (Yorkdale Mall)
Tickets: $25.00
Tickets can be purchased at the Toronto Women’s Bookstore. Tickets
can also be reserved for pick-up at the theatre by emailing
shaminis at nyws.ca. Please include your full name and the number of
tickets you want to reserve.

The film deals with the subject of domestic violence in an immigrant
family.
Mehta proudly points out that Heaven on Earth gave her an opportunity
not
only to explore subjects that she cares about passionately, that is,
isolation, immigration and imagination, but that the film also gave
her an
opportunity to go into territories technically that she had never
grappled
with before. There will be a panel discussion following the film.

This is a benefit event for the North York Women’s Shelter. The net
proceeds of the screening will help women and children who have been
affected by violence.

---
---

Winter is coming – and the shelters are full. This is an emergency!

GIMME SHELTER!
Demand the government ACT NOW to provide more emergency shelter and
food!

12noon – Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Corner of Queen & Sherbourne
*HOT LUNCH PROVIDED*
Demonstration & press conference

The economy is crashing and people are losing their jobs – and their
homes. More and more of our brothers and sisters are being pushed
onto the streets, in need of safe shelter and food. But THE SHELTERS
ARE ALREADY FULL! In fact, the government has recently CUT hundreds
of beds from the system!

With winter setting in, this is a matter of life and death, with
hungry people spending nights outside the over-crowded shelters as
the temperature drops. The government MUST ACT NOW to prevent even
more deaths!

We urgently need more, *safe* beds and meals to deal with the crisis
right now - in addition to decent housing.

EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO SAFE AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE SHELTER & FOOD!

Download the poster: <http://tdrc.net/uploads/HNW/
Nov26_gimmeshelter.pdf>http://tdrc.net/uploads/HNW/
Nov26_gimmeshelter.pdf

For more information, childcare, or accessibility, contact TDRC:

TORONTO DISASTER RELIEF COMMITTEE (TDRC)
416-599-8372 | <mailto:housingnotwar at tdrc.net>housingnotwar at tdrc.net
| <http://www.HousingNotWar.ca>www.HousingNotWar.ca

---
---

The Global Economic Crisis

Wednesday November 26 7:30-9:30

St Lawrence Centre for the Arts, 27 Front St. East (2 blks east of
Union Stn)
First come first seated in our comfortable 500-seat hall.  Tea and
coffee served at 9:30 pm, compliments of the house.

The global financial market is in unprecedented turmoil. The U.S.,
Canada's major trading partner is in very bad shape and not likely to
recover any time soon. Ontario's manufacturing sector is in tatters
spelling the end to many good paying jobs. For the first time the
province is in line to receive equalization payments.  What's the
future: leave the market to right itself; institute greater financial
regulation; nationalize the banks: undertake massive government
infrastructure spending or invest in education and training?

The Forum invites TD's senior economist Derek Burleton, political
science professor Grace-Edward Galabuzi, and Peter Victor author of
Managing Without Growth, among others, to share their views.

Moderator:  Karin Wells:  CBC Radio Documentary Producer

Organized by the St. Lawrence Centre Forum in cooperation with the
Colour of Poverty Campaign  <http://
www.colourofpoverty.ca>www.colourofpoverty.ca

---
---

INDIGENOUS UPRISING:
REPORT BACK FROM THE AMERICAS SOCIAL FORUM, GUATEMALA 2008

DATE: Thursday, November 27th, 7 p.m.
PLACE: Rogers Communication Centre, 80 Gould Street (at Church), Room
204
INFO: tsf at ryerson.ca<mailto:tsf at ryerson.ca>, www.ryerson.ca/
tsf<http://www.ryerson.ca/tsf>
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=34202058418
COST: Free, donations accepted

The Americas Social Forum 2008 was held in Guatemala in October, and
Toronto delegates were there!  It was an amazing gathering.  The vast
majority of delegates were Indigenous people from across the region.

The Toronto Social Forum presents a report back from the people who
attended, as well as an update on the current situation in Bolivia.

Come and hear the delegates' stories, see their photos, watch their
videos, and check out some information tables too.  Musical
performance by Eddy Robinson, singer and drummer.  Light refreshments
will be served.

Limited tabling space is available.  Please contact
michelle.langlois at ryerson.ca<mailto:michelle.langlois at ryerson.ca> by
November 25th to book space!

CO-SPONSORS: Canadian Auto Workers, CAW-Sam Gindin Chair in Social
Justice and Democracy (Ryerson), Latin American Solidarity Network,
Steelworkers Humanity Fund, Toronto Bolivia Solidarity, United Church
of Canada, Venezuela We Are With You Coalition.
MEDIA SPONSOR: rabble.ca

---
---

Sustainability Network and Ecojustice Present: The Legal Toolkit -
Options, Strategies and Tactics

Friday, November 28, 2008
8:30am - 4:30pm
Centre for Social Innovation
215 Spadina Ave., 4th Floor, Alterna Room
$90 for organization with budgets <$250K
$120 for organizations with budgets >$250K

This one-day training session is intended to educate individuals
active in the environmental field about the legal tools available to
protect our air, water, land and health. Lawyers from Ecojustice
(formerly Sierra Legal Defense Fund) will lead this workshop, leading
participants though a process of identifying the strategic legal
mechanisms available to them when working on environmental issues.

Details and link to online registration at http://
sustainabilitynetwork.ca

---
---

BodySpirit at the Transformative Learning Centre presents,
    as part of the Transformative Martial Arts Film Series:

       QIGONG: ANCIENT CHINESE HEALING
              FOR THE 21ST CENTURY

Friday   NOVEMBER 28, 2008   3-5pm
Board Room (Rm. 199), 12th Floor
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, U of Toronto
252 Bloor St. W. , Toronto
     (directly above St. George subway station)
FREE

http://www.greeneconomics.net/TMA_Film_Series.htm

This one-hour documentary is a  captivating tour of China
and Tibet to visit senior qigong masters, while investigating
the explosive resurgence of their arts in the 21st century.
Although qigong systems also provide the internal martial
arts with their inner-energy foundations, the film will focus
on qigong as a medical artform---and its power in curing a
vast range of maladies from arthritis to cancer.  It will also
contextualize these arts in the history and culture of China,
while seeking to draw out their relevance to contemporary
society in both China and the West.

The film will be hosted by Roxana Ng, longtime practitioner
and scholar of qigong and tai chi.  Discussion of the film
and the wide range of issues relating to transformative
martial arts will follow.

For more information, including the film trailer, see