Greenspiration News: satire, climate news, meds, air quality

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Dec 7 18:31:50 EST 2008

Greenspiration News

“There is only one courage, and that is the courage to go on dying to
the past. Not to collect it, not to accumulate it, not to cling to
it. We all cling to the past, and because we cling to it we become
unavailable to the present.” - Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

-------
-------

This is the BEST political satire I have ever seen. Be prepared to
laugh your guts out...

http://harperdictatorship.ca/

-------
-------

Citizen activism is reaching a boiling point as impatience with
governments' perceived inaction grows.

Climate Protests Escalate Worldwide
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5939?emc=el&m=175597&l=8&v=8ce765a66e

-------
-------

CHANGE IS HAPPENING

It’s so easy to lose the big picture, because the mainstream media is
not reporting changes they are not tuned to. So while we know about
the gloomiferous financial collapse, most people are not learning
about other changes that mark an enormous shift:

San Francisco has announced that it will become the electric vehicle
(EV) capital of the US.
Los Angeles is planning to become the first solar city in the US,
generating 10% of its electricity from solar, costing LA residents
just $2 extra a month.
In the UK, every new house must be zero carbon, starting in 2016.
The new International Renewable Energy Agency is being launched in
Germany in January. The European Union has pledged to get 20% of its
energy needs from renewables by 2020.
Starting Jan 1st 2009, Seattle will be charging 20 cents for
disposable plastic shopping bags.
The BC town of Nelson has voted to become a Genetically Engineered
Free Zone, ensuring that local farmers can grow crops and save seeds
without fear of GE cross-contamination.
In November, The New York Times came out with a special issue dated
July 4th 2009, showing in amazing detail what might be possible. OK,
it was a Yes-Men spoof! www.nytimes-se.com
Don’t get caught in the daily gloomy news which drags our minds back
to the collapsing paradigm. Focus on the birth of the new, not the
death of the old.

(Thanks to Guy Dauncey of EcoNews for the above news.)

-------
-------

Google Pays Employees To Ride Their Bikes!

Google's first official Canadian headquarters opened last week
overlooking Dundas Square. Google has implemented green initiatives
to encourage their employees to use public transportation or their
own green solution to get to work by offering a monthly subsidy. For
those willing to take a bicycle to work, the company offers other
extras as well.

CTV's blog, quotes the head of Google Toronto’s Business Development:
"It's really important to create an environment that facilitates the
healthy lifestyle that you want people to lead" says Ian Camisky. "We
created a bike room which has hangers for your bike, lockers to put
your shoes and helmet in, but unless you have a place to clean up, it
becomes harder to actually utilize that. We can't say 'Oh be healthy,
but we're not going to help you be healthy'. Google's all about the
full solution. So once we agreed that we would have the bike room, it
was imperative that we have the shower to associate with it."

-------
-------

Comprehensive coverage on the democratic crisis in Canada - Coalition

Stephen Harper is reaching deep into his bag of spin and dirty tricks
in an attempt to cling to power against an unprecedented opposition
coalition. Events are moving fast, so rabble.ca has created this one
stop shop where you can stay informed about developments and
participate in the discussions and debates amongst progressives.

http://www.rabble.ca/coalition

-------
-------

Activist Trauma Support

This site is primarily for political activists who may be injured
during or by their political activities and or struggling with other
mental health issues related to activism.

Supporting people who have been traumatized should be a central part
of our activism, for without support and solidarity we can be easily
picked off.

http://www.activist-trauma.net/?p=home&lng=en

-------
-------

Climate Negotiations Out of the Spotlight

With all the action on Parliament Hill this week, it seems that this
year’s United Nations Climate Change Conference has been relegated to
second place in the media spotlight. The aim of this year’s
Conference of the Parties to the UNFCCC (COP-14) is to both advance
international cooperation on a future climate change regime and
ensure progress on key issues. But with the political situation
unfolding in Ottawa, it looks like Canadians concerned with
international progress on climate change will have to raise their
voices before the conference ends on December 12th.

For a civil society perspective on the daily events in Poland, visit
www.climatenetwork.org and read CAN International’s daily ECO
newsletter.

-----

FOSSIL OF THE DAY AWARDS - FROM POZNAN, POLAND AT THE UN CLIMATE
CHANGE NEGOTIATIONS

The Fossil-of-the-day Awards are given nightly at 6pm to countries
that block progress at the United Nations climate change
negotiations. The winners are chosen by a vote each afternoon of the
Climate Action Network, which comprises more than 400 NGOs from every
world region.

The awards, decorated with the flags of the winning countries, are
received by members of the international youth delegation at a daily
ceremony hosted by Ben Wikler of Avaaz.org, an international online
advocacy group, and Katherine Trajan of the Canadian youth
delegation. Winners are announced, their obstructionism is described
in vivid detail; their national anthems are played; and youth
delegates receive medals and deliver emotional acceptance speeches
describing their emotions at receiving this historic dishonour.

On Dec. 4, Canada won third, second AND tied for first. Shame on Canada.

See www.fossil-of-the-day.org

-------
-------

Selling cough, cold medicines for children under 12 questioned

"So basically all of the chemical ingredients, whether it's a cough
suppressant, whether its an antihistamine, you know whether it's a
nasal decongestant — none of those agents in children have any
evidence that they work,"   |

CBC News, Nov. 28

Health Canada is considering changing the rules on selling and
labelling children's cold medications that have been linked to
serious complications and at least three deaths among children under
the age of two between 1995 and 2007, according to confidential
documents obtained by CBC News under federal Access to Information laws.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/11/28/cold-medicine-children.html

-------
-------

WATCH:  Video:  Fight For Rights - Parts One and Two: about mining in
Ontario

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20081125/
wfive_mining_081125/20081129?hub=WFive

Click on icons on right-hand side of page, 20 min. total

-------
-------

The Tyranny of Oil
2 interviews with Antonia Juhasz
on The real News Network

- From Standard Oil to Big Oil

- Will Obama rein in Big Oil?

http://therealnews.com/t/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=74&jumival=278

-------
-------

Poor Air Quality Killing Canadians

The Canadian Medical Association released staggering new data showing
that this year alone as many as 21,000 Canadians will die prematurely
from the effects of air pollution. While most of those deaths will be
due to chronic exposure over a number of years, almost 3,000 will be
the result of acute, short-term exposure.

http://www.cma.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/86912/la_id/1.htm
---
What is air pollution costing you?

The National Illness Cost of Air Pollution study puts a dollar figure
on the health and economic costs of air pollution in Canada. This
initiative has produced Illness Costs of Air Pollution (ICAP)
programs that can forecast health damages for each of the 10
provinces and for Canada as a whole.

http://www.cma.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/86830/la_id/1.htm

-------
-------

Study finds mindfulness-based cognitive therapy as effective as anti-
depressant medication

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-11/uoe-nth112608.php

-------
-------

Actions, What You Can Do With The City presents 99 actions that
instigate positive change in contemporary cities around the world.

Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montreal -- 26 November 2008 - 19 Apr.

http://cca-actions.org/guidedtour

If you're in Montreal, GO to this fantastic exhibit of urban activism
around the world. And if you're not in Mtl, you can visit much of the
exhibit online. My Mobile Bike Lane is displayed, and Toronto's Urban
Repair Squad has a stencil on exhibit http://www.cca-actions.org/node/
154

Imagine that -- activism being celebrated and honored!

-------
-------

Official warnings issued: The ADHD drug Strattera CAUSES psychosis,
hallucinations, mania and agitation

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=69298&cat=10

The manufacturer, Eli Lilly, has now changed the label for Strattera
in Europe to include warnings that Strattera CAUSES “hallucinations,
delusional thinking, mania or agitation in children and adolescents
without a prior history of psychotic illness or mania … at usual doses”.

Please note that Strattera is CAUSING these symtoms – that these
“symptoms” seen in children are drug induced, that they in actual
fact are signs of drug induced brain dysfunction.

It took almost THREE years of foot dragging before the medical
authorities in Europe finally decided that Eli Lilly should issue
warnings about psychotic reactions in the label for Strattera. But
now the warnings are finally out.

The story leading up to these warnings can be read in the following
article (see also links in the article to background data): The ADHD
drug Strattera – actions needed now, from January 2008, http://
jannel.se/letter.mhra.strattera.jan08.pdf  (See also article about
Strattera death at http://jannel.se/Strattera.death2.pdf )

The new warnings about the causal role for Strattera in inducing
mania, agitation and psychosis with hallucinations, can be read at
http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/displaydoc.asp?
documentid=14482

In the US famous psychiatrists like Dr. Joseph Biederman have
convinced doctors that the manic states seen in children receiving
ADHD drugs (like Concerta, Adderall and Strattera) are signs of
“bipolar disorder” – not signs of drug induced brain dysfunction.
This has meant that children in the US, instead of being taken off
the dangerous drugs are given the most toxic substances available in
psychiatry – neuroleptics (so called antipsychotics like Risperdal,
Zyprexa and Abilify).

These new warnings in Europe for Strattera, together with all
exposures of the fraudulent affairs of Biederman and colleagues,
should finally convince doctors about the facts and what needs to be
done – that the harmed children need to be taken off the drugs under
careful supervision.

Janne Larsson
Reporter – investigating psychiatry
Sweden
janne.olov.larsson at telia.com

-------
-------

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in