TO. Greenspirational Events: pollution, poverty, prescriptions, parties

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 18 18:06:59 EST 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

-

Join us as GREEN SCREENS presents

FOUR WINGS AND A PRAYER

Monday, January 19 at 7 PM
FREE admission
Directed by Nick de Pencier, 2007, 81 min

NFB Mediatheque
150 John Street (corner Richmond)
For more information call 416.973.3012
www.nfb.ca/mediatheque

A documentary about one of the world's most beautiful and mysterious
creatures: the monarch butterfly. Nowhere in nature is there a more
powerful mix of scientific marvel, awesome beauty, and epic struggle
for survival. What scientists are at a loss to fully explain is how
the monarch makes a seemingly impossible three thousand kilometre
journey from Canada over mountains, through storms, and across large
bodies of water to its small and remote over wintering grounds in the
mountains of Mexico.

Based on the book by Sue Halpern.

After the screening, stay for a conversation with special guest Gard
Otis, Professor in Environmental Biology at the University of Guelph.

Green Screens partners films from the National Film Board with
experts and panellists from the Canadian Institute for Environmental
Law and Policy. If you are interested in the environment, Green
Screens will both entertain and educate.

Donations to CIELAP welcome!

-
-

The Bicycle Friendly Business Awards

Tues. 20 January
Gladstone Hotel (1214 Queen St. W.)
Doors at 7 p.m.; Show at 8 p.m.
$10 or PWYC

Toronto Cyclists Union will present the Bicycle Friendly Business
Awards and its own awards, the Golden Spokes.

Don't miss this unveiling of BFBA winners and a good party to boot!
This is a fundraiser for the Toronto Cyclists Union.

The Golden Spokes are awards handed out by the Toronto Cyclists Union
recognizing individual or group efforts to improve cycling in
Toronto. They are a celebration of cycling and serve to illustrate
how many people across Toronto are committed to bicycling and want to
work together to make Toronto a more bike-friendly city.

Valet bike parking
Winter-layering strip-tease skit
Clay and Paper theater performance
Cool raffle prizes from MEC & Crumpler
Live music from GUH
Spinning by the fabulous DJ duo Dorian & Dorian
'Inauguration' Goldsprints with prizes for all winners (Obama themed!)
A chance to mix and mingle with bike advocates, city staff and
councillors.

http://bikeunion.to/sites/tcu/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?
u=631&qid=12993
and the Facebook event link... http://bikeunion.to/sites/tcu/modules/
civicrm/extern/url.php?u=632&qid=12993

-
-

POLLUTION  &  POVERTY IN SOUTH RIVERDALE

South Riverdale Community Health Centre and Ralph Thornton Centre
invited you to Join our next Town Hall
Discussion on Pollution & Poverty in South Riverdale.  Researchers
have recently mapped pollution and income.

Come out and learn about the study and what we can do.

Tuesday, January 20, 7 – 9 P.M.
Ralph Thornton Centre,
765 Queen St. E., 2nd Fl.
Refreshments will be served
Any questions, please call Joanne Fisher @ 416-392-6810 x231

-
-

BRAVE NEW WORLD: PRESCRIPTION DRUGS, DEREGULATION AND THE HUMAN COSTS

Wed. Jan. 21 7-9 pm at Sidney Smith Bldg, Rm 2110, U of T (100 St.
George).
Michele Brill-Edwards and Terence Young speaking

cost by donation; suggested donation: $1.96

For more info: Nancy Olivieri c/o Rebecca (416-712-1766) or Melody
(647-501-1954)
To see more events in the Tommy Douglas Distinguished Speaker series
see: http://www.bringbacktommy.ca/speakers.html

-
-
Green Drinks Toronto

WHEN:      Wednesday, January 21st from 5:45 p.m. 'til you say stop
WHERE:    The Bedford Academy, 36 Prince Arthur Avenue (around the
corner from the St. George subway stop) - meet us on the second floor
WHO:         Anyone who is working on, or is interested in,
environmental issues
WHY:         Fun, contacts, drinks, info, inspiration, business and
pleasure
PRIVACY:  This email list is ONLY for Green Drinks reminders. We will
not give your email address to anyone else.
GLOBAL:   Now active in 461 cities worldwide!
Check out:
Greendrinks on YouTube
HUGE turnout for December's GD!

Remember:
Be sure to bring your friends and colleagues to have a couple of
drinks with green folks like you―environmentalists, journalists,
academics, elected officials, green builders, green business folks,
health care professionals, doctors, chemists, developers, artists,
students and just about anyone else who is interested in a better
GTA, a better Canada and a better world. Green Drinks is a social
activity, so come enjoy a during-the-week drink with some really
caring and talented people in Toronto.

Forwarding:
Please forward this message to people who share our interest in the
environment. Forwarding is encouraged and appreciated―we'd like to
see as many new people involved as possible. To sign up for future
Green Drinks events send an email to greendrinks at gmail.com
Hope to see you there!

Jane, Pete and Amanda

-
-
Recession Relief Fund Coalition
Community Forum and Speak-Out

Thursday January 22, 2009
11:00 am- 1:00 pm
Church of the Holy Trinity, Toronto (on Bay St, just North of Queen,
beside the Eaton Centre)

The Recession Relief Fund Coalition invites you to an important FREE
public event featuring:

1) The public presentation and signing of a Declaration demanding
budget action by the Federal Government.

2) A forum to hear from members of the community about the growing
needs for housing and homelessness programs, income supports,
employment supports, settlement services and other supports in the
midst of a growing recession.

* A hot meal will be provided.

Short presentations by four panelists will be followed by a forum
where members of the community--agencies, those affected by job loss
and poverty, etc.--will be encouraged to share their stories about
the reality of the recession.

If you have someone who can speak out on behalf of your organization,
or know of someone who would like to share their perspective
regarding the impact of the recession, please contact Melissa at
moldy109 at yahoo.com ASAP. Please note that the number of speakers will
be limited due to time constraints, and speakers will be restricted
to 3 minutes each.

Please plan to attend, and bring service users with you. Some TTC
tokens will be available.
--------
To date, 149 organizations across Canada and hundreds of individuals
have endorsed the Recession Relief Fund Declaration, and the number
is growing every day. For more information about the Declaration, to
view current endorsers, and to sign on, please visit:
http://socialplanningtoronto.org/recession_relief_fund.html

For additional information, contact Holly Kramer at (647) 222-4420.
Please spread word of this event and the Declaration widely.

In solidarity,
The Recession Relief Fund Coalition

-
-

Jeff Halper in Canada
Nobel Prize Nominee and Israeli Peace Activist
Speaking about the Siege of Gaza

Thursday, January 22nd, 1:00 pm, Free
Ryerson University, Student Centre, room A/B

Thursday, January 22nd, 7:30 pm - $10 / PWYC
The Winchevsky Centre, 585 Cranbrooke Ave. (off Bathurst, north of
Lawrence)

Friday, January 23rd, 7:30 pm - $10 / PWYC
Bloor Street United Church,  (300 Bloor St. W @ Huron)

Jeff Halper, an Israeli human rights activist, anthropology
professor, coordinator of the Israeli Committee Against House
Demolitions (ICAHD) and 2006 Nobel Peace Prize nominee will be in
Toronto as part of a cross-Canada speaking tour.

In August of 2008, Halper arrived in Gaza by sea as the only Jewish-
Israeli member of the Free Gaza Movement. “When we finally arrived
in Gaza after a day and a half sail, the welcome we received from
40,000 joyous Gazans was overwhelming and moving," says Halper.
"People sought me out in particular, eager, it seemed, to speak
Hebrew with an Israeli after years of closure.”

While in Gaza, Halper received honorary Palestinian citizenship,
including a passport. He returned to Israel through the Erez
checkpoint. Upon arrival, he was immediately arrested and jailed at
the Shikma prison in Ashkelon, charged with violating a military
order prohibiting Israelis from visiting Gaza.

Halper will be talking about how Canadians can participate in
peaceful resistance against the Israeli siege of Gaza and occupation
in the West Bank. He will be visiting universities, churches and
Jewish community centres in Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Victoria.

The tour is sponsored by a national movement of progressive Canadian
Jewish groups and others. Sponsors include Independent Jewish Voices
Canada, United Jewish People’s Order, Yosher – Jewish Social
Justice Network, Science for Peace, Canadian Friends Service
Committee, Canadian Auto Workers, Kairos and the Canadian Arab
Federation.

For media, interviews or more information contact:
Sandra Ruch 416-716-4010 or Sandra.ruch at rogers.blackberry.net

-
-

Dignity for All: Campaign for a Poverty-Free Canada

Friday, January 23 @ 1.30pm - 3.30pm
Church of the Holy Trinity, 10 Trinity Square
INFO: Mariel Angus, 1-800-667-8046 ext. 29; mariel at cpj.ca; www.cpj.ca

A pre-budget workshop on addressing poverty in Canada.

The 2009 Federal Budget is being released on January 27 - but a
strategy to address poverty in Canada is not likely to be a major
element. What can we as citizens do?  Join CPJ as we examine poverty
from the perspective of human dignity, explore a federal poverty
reduction strategy, and offer empowering ways that you can engage
with your government and involve your faith community as we work to
build a Poverty-Free Canada.

The event is co-hosted by the Anglican Diocese of Toronto.

Refreshments will be served and there will be an opportunity for
informal discussion with CPJ FF.

An investigation into the effects of the chemical soup we live in on
our children and ourselves in Toronto and other Canadian cities.

Sunday, January 25, 8 p.m.

OISE, Room 5-262
252 Bloor Street West (near St. George Station)

For more info: 4167073509, postmaster at torontothebetter.net
-
-

The Toronto 18 'Terror' Fraud: A Betrayal of Canadian Community
with guest speaker Prof. Michael Keefer

Sunday January 25th at noon
Bloor St. United Church, Upper Club Room
300 Bloor St. W. at Huron St.
(St. George TTC)

Free, Sponsored by Social Justice Committee
For more information, call 416 966 2815

-
-

NO NEW NUKES

If you're concerned about the new nuclear reactors the ON government
plans to announce this spring, then please attend a Volunteer
Orientations:
Tues. Jan. 27, 6 – 8 p.m. OR
Sat. Jan. 31, noon – 2 p.m.
At 519 Church St. Community Centre.
Please rsvp with angela at cleanairalliance.org .

At these 2 hour sessions, we’ll spend the first hour talking about
the issue – looking at the true costs of nuclear energy and the
green alternatives. The second hour is spent on strategy and how you
can plug into this campaign. These are some of the ways we’ve
identified to help derail the contract for new nukes:
-          door-knocking
-          leafleting at events
-          hosting a forum
-          writing letters
-          street theatre

If you’re not able to attend an orientation but still want to help,
please let me know and we’ll scheme one-on-one.

ALSO, below find an email template that I invite you to send to all
your friends and colleagues. Just cut and paste from the “NO NEW
NUKES” headline down, and send to everyone you know. You may want to
preface it with something personal, or not.

Thanks for your help spreading the word.

Peace out…
-angela

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NO NEW NUKES IN ONTARIO
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Ontario Government intends to sign contracts for two new nuclear
reactors this spring -- at a cost of $26 billion. We can't let this
happen.

Nuclear energy is the costliest and riskiest way to keep the lights
on in Ontario.

Clean green renewable energy and efficiency can meet all our
electricity needs. See http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca for details.

Will you let Ontario Energy Minister George Smitherman know that
you’d prefer a GREEN energy future?

Sign the online petition here:  http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/
petition.php

Learn more here:  http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca

For more info or to get involved, contact Angela at cleanairalliance.org

Angela Bischoff
Campaign Manager
Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Tel: 416 926 1907 x 246
angela at cleanairalliance.org
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca
www.cleanairalliance.org
Our Facebook Group

-
-

Nominations are now being accepted for the Green Toronto Awards - the
City of Toronto's environmental awards of excellence. The City of
Toronto, in partnership with the Green Living Show, invites residents
of Toronto to nominate the companies, organizations and individuals
who are helping to green Toronto.

The Green Toronto Awards ceremony will be hosted by Mayor David
Miller, Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone and the world renowned
environmentalist and actor Ed Begley, Jr. on April 23, 2009.

At the awards ceremony, which kicks off the Green Living Show, the
City of Toronto and The Green Living Show will roll out the green
carpet to honour those who have demonstrated outstanding
environmental achievement. A winner will be announced in each award
category: community projects, energy conservation, environmental
awareness, green design, green roof, leadership, market
transformation, water efficiency and youth. Each winner will receive
a prestigious Green Toronto Award and a $5,000 donation to a
registered charity of their choice.

The deadline for nominations is Friday, February 27 at 5 p.m. For
more information on the awards and nomination process, please visit
www.toronto.ca/greentorontoawards.

-
-

GRANTS FOR 2 ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECTS

Evergreen Common Grounds is now accepting applications for two grant
programs supporting community environmental restoration projects.

The 2009 deadline for both is: February 6, 2009

One provides funding to cover the costs of expenses for tools and
building, planting native plants and trees and more as part of urban
environmental stewardship projects in Canada. The other provides
funding of between $3,500 and $10,000 to support small-scale,
community-driven, education and restoration projects that increase
public awareness of sustainable water use and the importance of
aquatic features, while providing meaningful opportunities for
community involvement.

For more information and to download an application package, please
visit the Common Grounds Funding page on our Website evergreen.ca .

If you have questions, contact Zanita Lukezich, Common Grounds Grant
Co-ordinator, at:

416)596-1495 x450,  zlukezich at evergreen.ca

-

-

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in