TO. Greenspirational Events: nukes, water, bike rides

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Jan 26 00:43:35 EST 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

-

Bhopal:The Hiroshima of the Chemical Industry

Students for Bhopal Toronto and Be:collective present a documentary
film and photo exhibition on the ongoingsituation in Bhopal India.
This year is the 25thanniversary of one of the world's worst
industrial disasters, and we are raising awareness and takingaction
to ensure that the survivors finally get the justice they deserve.

Monday, January 26, 2009
Ryerson University
Free!
Snacksprovided

"WeAre Not Flowers, We Are Flames!" is a photoexhibit specifically
designed to graphically show the disaster's aftermath andlegacy.
These powerful photos are by acclaimed Indian photographer Raghu Rai,
and MaudDorr, a western photographer whose work is about social
justice..
Location: Ryerson Student Centre, Lobby, 55 Gould St.
Time: 12:00noon – 8:30 p.m.

"Bhopal: The Search for Justice" is a film about Bhopal'ssurvivors
and their ongoing fight by Lindalee Tracey  and Peter Raymont made in
2004. Following the film a Q & A led by a former intern at the
Sambhavana Clinic in Bhopal and who has recently returned from her
second visit will bring us up to date on the current situation.
Location: Ryerson U, Thomas Lounge, Oakham House, 63 Gould St.
Time: 6:30-8:30 p.m.

Contact: sfbtoronto at hotmail.comfor more information

-
-

> Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip and Lake Ontario Waterkeeper Mark
> Mattson
> Tuesday, January 27 from 5:30 – 7:00 PM at
> 215 Spadina Avenue, in Toronto.

> They'll describe struggles with the Darlington and Pickering
> nuclear proposals
> as well as the gains and losses from a recent decision regarding
> Lafarge Cement.

> Details at www.sustainabilitynetwork.ca  Advance registration ($20)
> required and available at:
> https://www.dollarsatwork.org/sustain/Index.aspx?
> EventID=09BF0101&EventCounter=194&ID=48

-
-

NO NEW NUKES

If you're concerned about the new nuclear reactors the ON government
plans to announce this spring, then please attend a Volunteer
Orientations:
Tues. Jan. 27, 6 – 8 p.m. OR
Sat. Jan. 31, noon – 2 p.m.
At 519 Church St. Community Centre.
Please rsvp with angela at cleanairalliance.org .

At these 2 hour sessions, we’ll spend the first hour talking about
the issue – looking at the true costs of nuclear energy and the green
alternatives. The second hour is spent on strategy and how you can
plug into this campaign. These are some of the ways we’ve identified
to help derail the contract for new nukes:
-          door-knocking
-          leafleting at events
-          hosting a forum
-          writing letters
-          street theatre

If you’re not able to attend an orientation but still want to help,
please let me know and we’ll scheme one-on-one.
Angela at cleanairalliance.org

-
-
Toxic Trespass
Tues. January 27, 8:30 pm
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE/UT)
252 Bloor Street West (above St. George station)
Room 5-260
pay-what-you-can

This moving documentary investigates the growing evidence that we are
conducting a large-scale toxicological experiment on our children,
and explores what some scientists, doctors, activists and others are
doing about it.  Intrepid filmmaker Barri Cohen heads out to Windsor
and Sarnia: Canadian toxic hotspots, with startling clusters of
deadly diseases.

-
-

VIGIL/INFO PICKET AGAINST NUCLEAR POWER AND PRIVATIZATION OF ONTARIO
POWER

11-12 noon / Wednesday January 28, 2008

Ontario Power Generation building (OPG)

700 University Avenue corner of College/University Av,

Toronto, ON

Say No to Ontario Power Authority Disempowerment

Say No to Nuclear Power, Gas and Coal plants

Say No to $40 Billion for Nukes

Say No to privatization of Ontario Power

--------

Say Yes to Green Jobs, Social Safety Net, Anti-Poverty Programs,
Ending Child Poverty etc.

Say Yes to 100% Public Power

Say Yes to 100% Energy Efficient Infrastructure (old and new)

Say Yes to 100% Renewable Energy

Paradigm Shift Environmental Alliance(a homeless network of
transborder activists, students, academics, Aboriginal etc.)
www.floodiceorfire.wordpress.com

Abolition King Coal, Fossil Fuels, Nuclear Power and Weapons Everywhere!

The Great Struggle Continues….

-
-

It's time to "Unbottle It," and tap into public drinking water!

Maude Barlow will be in Toronto…
THURSDAY, JANUARY 29, 7 p.m.
Steel Workers Hall
25 Cecil Street
FREE ADMISSION
Presentations to be followed by a Q+A session.

There is a growing movement to ban the sale of bottled water in
municipalities and institutions like school boards and university
campuses. The cities of Toronto, London, Owen Sound, and many other
Ontario communities, have banned the sale of bottled water in
municipal facilities. So have school boards in Ottawa and Waterloo.

Building on this momentum, the Council of Canadians and CUPE Ontario
are hosting an educational tour in January 2009, to encourage more
municipalities and other institutions to take practical action to
"Unbottle It!," and tap into clean, safe, public water. Maude Barlow,
Council of Canadians' Chairperson and Senior Advisor on Water to the
President of the UN General Assembly, and Sid Ryan, CUPE Ontario
President, will be touring 15 Ontario communities to raise awareness
about this important issue and encourage people into action.

Canada has one of the best drinking water systems in the world, but
the bottled water industry has worked hard to undermine our faith in
public water. The industry sells water – what should be a shared
public resource – for huge profits. Producing and transporting bottled
water requires large amounts of fossil fuels, and plastic water
bottles continue to end up by the millions in local landfills.

For more info contact: Russ Townshend, russ.townshend at abbott.com.

-
-

Coldest Day of the Year Ride

Fri. 30 January, noon
Meet at the back doors of City Hall (100 Queen Street West) near
Elizabeth St.

It's coming back after a successful launch last year!

Come out to City Hall at noon for a group ride to the Fairmont Royal
York on what is statistically the coldest day of the year in Toronto.
Warm up at the Fairmont Royal York with free hot drink and snacks.
Riders will also receive free turtle lights thank to our sponsor
Mountain Equipment Co-Op, and the FIRST 50 riders will receive a
limited edition Bike Winter 25 oz thermos. If you would like a table
or to be a part of this event, please e-mail: cyclingevents at toronto.ca

All cyclists are welcome.

-
-

Critical Mass Ride

Fri. Jan. 31 (and the last Friday of every month)
Meet at 6 p.m. at Spadina/Bloor parkette and ride safely and proudly
en masse through city streets

-
-

> The Health Studies Program
> Tommy Douglas Distinguished Speakers Series
> presents:
>
> RALPH NADER
>
> Publicly Funded Health Care and Its Preservation in Canada
>
> Friday January 30th, 2009 from 7:00pm  9:30pm
>
> Convocation Hall, 31 Kings College Circle
> Fundraising Reception from 5:00pm  6:30pm
> Book Signing to take place after the talk.
>
> Tickets:
> Commemorating the introduction of universal, publicly-funded health
> care in
> 1962 in Saskatchewan
> $19.62 General Admission
> $192.60 for Fund Raising reception with Ralph Nader and Ticket
> (you will be issued a charitable tax receipt for most of the cost
> of your
> fund raising ticket)
>
> Advance Tickets can be bought Online at
>  <http://www.bringbacktommy.ca/>
> or at Women's Book Store 73 Harbord Street, Toronto
>
> For any other questions, please contact us at
> info at bringbacktommy.ca or
> 416-978-8741
>
> This event will launch a grass-roots campaign in the Health Studies
> Program
> at University College, University of Toronto that will honour the
> ideas of
> the "Greatest Canadian", Tommy Douglas, and commemorate the
> introduction of
> universal, publicly-funded health care in 1962 in Saskatchewan.

-
-

COMPASSIONATE COMMUNICATION: Winter 2009 Program

Around the world, more and more people are using Compassionate
Communication to support everyday peacemaking, empowerment, conflict
transformation, healing and more. Developed by Dr. Marshall
Rosenberg, this process is practiced in 37 countries in a variety of
settings including family, workplace, activism, social service,
education, mediation, prison, and government. Compassionate
Communication is also known as Nonviolent Communication (NVC).

To learn more:
- Read an introductory chapter www.cnvc.org/node/393
- Read an article www.yesmagazine.com/article.asp?id=837
- Visit www.nonviolentcommunication.com/aboutnvc/aboutnvc.htm
- Contact Henry Wai to discuss your interests

---------
You, Me and We: Making a Difference with Compassionate Communication
An Introduction led by Henry Wai

Young or old, timid or bold – clarify needs and choices, resolve
conflicts and solve problems with a simple, proven, hands-on,
transformative process all ages can use. Please note that while this
process works for any age, the format of this introduction suits
people age 14 and older.

Toronto – Sun. Feb 22, 2009     10:30 am -12:30 pm - repeat
Toronto – Sun. Mar. 29, 2009    10:30 am -12:30 pm - repeat
         Location: St. George and Bloor
         Information / Location: Henry 416-916-8861

  Fee: sliding scale $25-15
      (no one will be turned away due to lack of funds)
      A portion of the Toronto fees will be donated to Interchange
for Peace.

---------

TRANSFORM YOUR WORLD:
Compassionate Communication Foundation Training led by Henry Wai

Realize your capacities for making the difference you want within
yourself, with others and in your community. This two-day training
provides the learning, practice and coaching for you to begin
applying the NVC process in everyday life.

With an emphasis on active learning, you will:
- learn how the core NVC concepts and tools support constructive,
authentic relationships
- practice the steps using real examples for expressing yourself and
listening to others in ways which build connection and understanding
- be challenged and moved, receive support and have fun
- get access two free follow-up group teleconference sessions
Saturday January 31 & Saturday February 7
9:30 am – 5:00 pm each day
Location: downtown Toronto  (limited to 14 participants per training)

Interested in hosting a workshop in your area? Contact Henry to
discuss possibilities.

Fee: sliding scale $250 - $150
                  (for those with financial barriers please contact
Henry beforehand to discuss options)

Info / Registration: Henry - 416.913.8861; wai_renooy at sympatico.ca

-------
ABOUT HENRY WAI
Henry Wai has enjoyed practicing NVC since 2000. Henry is a certified
NVC Trainer who has led public introductions, trainings and practice
groups in England, Canada and the U.S. He provides trainings,
facilitation, and adult education in social service, community,
business, university and religious settings. Henry's focus is on
supporting individuals and groups to develop and use their capacities
for making a difference in our

-------
To find out about Centre for Nonviolent Communication, its trainers
and how people around the world are using the process, please visit
www.cnvc.org

-
-

The Real News Cafe presents
The Obama Generation: Beyond Inauguration
What does it mean for Canada and the world?

Tuesday, February 3 @ 7.30pm
Gladstone Hotel (Melody Bar), 1214 Queen St W
INFO/RSVP: 416.916.5202 ext 423; contact at therealnews.com

Entry by donation

Join The Real News team post-inauguration as we discuss the Obama
presidency. As new policy teams take shape, what can Canada and the
rest of the world expect from the new Administration?

Share your questions and opinions with Paul Jay, CEO and Senior
Editor of The Real News Network. After the discussion, meet The Real
News team and get to know other Real News members. The Obama
Generation: beyond inauguration, will be the first of monthly events
at the Gladstone Hotel.

This is a public event. For those of you who can't make it for
geographical reasons, please join us online. The event will be
streamed live on our website at TheRealNews.com.

-
-

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in