TO. Greenspirational events - nukes, cycling, climate, war resisters

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 8 22:54:45 EST 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

-

The Truth about Nuclear Power in Ontario

An evening of discussion

What: An evening of discussion with Greenpeace Energy and Climate
Campaigner Shawn-Patrick Stensil
When: Tuesday, February 10th, 6:30pm – 8:30pm
Where: The Greenpeace Toronto Office at 33 Cecil St., (2 blocks south
of College, 2 blocks east of Spadina)

Please join Greenpeace Energy and Climate Campaigner Shawn Patrick
Stensil in Toronto for an evening of discussion. Shawn-Patrick
Stensil,  Greenpeace Nuclear Eenergy campaigner will provide the
facts about Nuclear Energy in Ontario. His enthusiastic approach will
provide you with the truths about Ontario’s energy and where our
energy is headed. This is a great opportunity to enhance your nuclear
knowledge, ask questions and help us replace the Pickering nuclear
station with green power. We will also need help with future events
including web based activities to promote and raise awareness of
green energy.

We all have the power to change. Learn more and speak out!

Please r.s.v.p: angela.woodcock at greenpeace.org if you would like to
attend the event or have any questions.

-
-

RALLY TO SUPPORT U.S. IRAQ WAR RESISTERS

Tues. February 10, 8:30am

Outside the Federal Court: 180 Queen St. West
(west of University Ave, Osgoode subway)

The minority Harper government is deporting U.S. Iraq war resisters,
against the will of Parliament. War resisters Robin Long and Cliff
Cornell are now in U.S. jails because the Harper government refused
to respect the House of Commons motion to stop deporting war
resisters and to let them stay. Other war resisters and their
families face similar punishment, for following Canada's lead and
opposing the illegal Iraq war.

February 10 is an important day to appeal another deportation while
reaffirming Canadian democracy. That day, the Federal Court will hear
the appeal for war resister Jeremy Hinzman and his family on their
application to stay in Canada.

Join a rally to support the Hinzman family appeal and to demand the
Harper government respect Canadian democracy. It is time for Stephen
Harper to stand by his own words: "the Prime Minister has the moral
responsibility to respect the will of the House." It is time for
Stephen Harper to respect Parliament and let war resisters stay.

For more information go to www.resisters. ca
Lyn Adamson
671A Vaughan Rd.
Toronto M6E 2Y4
416-596-7328
cell: 416-731-6605
ladamson at primus.ca

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in
their mission can alter the course of history” – Mahatma Gandhi

-
-

  Poznan Postmortem and Copenhagen Countdown
Wednesday, February 11, 2009

7:00pm - 9:00pm

Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street

Contact Info: info at torontoclimatecampaign.org

At the recent climate change negotiations in Poznan, Canada was for
the second year in a row voted the "Colossal Fossil" - the country
with the worst environmental and political record on climate change.
Next year a new round of negotiations begins in Copenhagen to form a
treaty to replace and improve upon Kyoto. Join a discussion on the
state of the climate change crisis, and how we can push for change.

Chair: Afsan Chowdhury
Human rights activist and journalist, Research Associate at York
Centre for Asian Research
Oak Fellow on Human Rights at Colby College, Maine USA

Dave Martin
Climate and Energy Coordinator, Greenpeace Canada

Joy Kennedy
Ecological Justice Program Coordinator, United Church of Canada

Lauryn Drainie
Media Coordinator, Canadian Youth Delegation (Project of Canadian
Youth Climate Coalition)

Gerry LeBlanc
Program Coordinator, Steelworkers Area Council Injured Workers Program

www.torontoclimatecampaign.org

-
-

The 11th Hour
Probably the best film on climate change ever made, featuring
Leonardo DiCaprio

This is best introduction to the issue, and also very inspiring,
providing a much-needed message of hope in the face of catastrophic
events

Wed. Feb. 11th, 2009

7:00 p.m.

Medical Sciences building, room 2172, U of T, 1 Kings College Circle
(near Queens Park subway)

-
-

Caught in the Headlights

WELCOME TO THE INAUGURAL PODCAST OF CAUGHT IN THE HEADLIGHTS,
TORONTO'S FIRST AND ONLY PODCAST FOR THE MASSES.

OUR FIRST EPISODE HITS THE GROUND RIDING WITH GREAT STORIES ABOUT
GUERRILLAS RUNNING RAMPANT IN THE TTC

http://www.thebikejoint.com/Site/Caught_In_the_Headlights/
Caught_In_the_Headlights.html

-
-

Bike Pirates is an autonomous organization whose mission is to
empower cyclists and make bicycles more accessible. Volunteer-run and
organized, Bike Pirates provides a do-it-yourself work space to the
community sensitive to the concepts of bicycle re-use, collective
decision making, and social justice.

1292 Bloor St. West.

Monday 12-5
Tuesday 5-9
Thursday 12-7
Saturday 12-7
Sunday 1-4 (women and trans only)

http://bikepirates.com/

-
-

Greenpeace Basic Action Training

Toronto, Ontario (exact location will be announced later)
During a weekend in February (Friday 7:00 pm until Sunday 5:30 pm)

Greenpeace is pleased to invite you to apply to be a part of our
Basic Action Training in Toronto. Greenpeace is gearing up for an
exciting year of taking action to protect the planet and we need to
expand our existing Activist base to make this happen. (If you would
like to participate in Greenpeace actions this training is compulsory.)

  This weekend long training is an intensive program that includes an
introduction to Greenpeace and non-violent direct action, includes a
full legal briefing, media training, direct action simulation and
much more.

(This training is for individuals interested in participating within
Greenpeace actions that may result in arrest.  We will have
additional traingings for volunteers who are interested in non-
arrestable activities soon!)

The training will begin on a Friday at 7:00pm and finish Sunday at
5:30pm. The location will be announced shortly along with confirmed
dates. Participants will stay over night. All meals and snacks will
be provided.

There is a selection process and although we hope to accommodate as
many people as possible not everyone will be invited to participate
in the training. Those who are invited will meet briefly with the
volunteers and actions units to discuss what is involved in becoming
a Greenpeace activist. You will also have the opportunity to share
your  ideas and find out how you can be a part of Greenpeace and
direct action.

To apply for this training you must:

- be 18 years of age or older
- be in good physical health
- speak and understand Basic English
- be willing to participate in Greenpeace activities that may result
in the risk of arrest
- flexibility to be available for trainings and activities

To assist with the selection process we are asking all applicants to
answer the following questions:

1. Why do you want to participate in Greenpeace actions?

2. What do you hope to get out of the training?

The deadline for applications is Friday February 13th at 5:00pm.

We are asking that you apply only if you are confident that this
training is for you. It is imperative that if you commit to this
training you are able to make it. Please let us know otherwise.

Please r.s.v.p: angela.woodcock at greenpeace.org if you would like to
attend the event or have any questions.

-
-

Survey on Ethnicity and Cycling in Toronto

"Only white yuppies bike in Toronto".  At least that's what I was told
when asking people informally.  But there is some actual data on the
issue, including a small survey in Toronto noting that visible
minorities were less interested in cycling than white respondents and
a Canada study finding that immigrants bike less than non-immigrants.
Even in bike-friendly countries like Denmark they're realizing that
their incoming immigrant population cycles less than the "average"
Dane.  And if there is a link between a person's ethnic background and
the likelihood that they'll use their bike to get around, it could be
an issue in encouraging more cycling in Toronto since 47% of
Torontonians are visible minorities and over 50% are foreign born.

To find out more on this topic, I'm inviting all Toronto cyclists to
fill out a quick 5 minute survey aimed at gathering information on who
you think cycles in Toronto as well as who actually does.  There's
also a space to add your email address, if you'd like to see my final
findings.

To complete the survey, click on this link or copy/paste it into a
new window:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=TH_2f6L1imn922QWQ0gZ9TeA_3d_3d

Thanks in advance for your time.

Erica Duque
M.Sc. in Planning 2009 Candidate
University of Toronto
duquee at geog.utoronto.ca
Ontario Coalition for Better Child Care Launches

-
-

Campaign to Avert "Daycare Disaster"

Toronto, Ont. - Ontario's child care advocacy group has launched an
email campaign to convince Ontario Finance Minister to include child
care in the 2009 Provincial budget. Parents, child care staff and
concerned citizens are invited to send a message at:
www.childcareontario.org/ontariobudget

22,000 affordable child care spaces are at risk across Ontario. This
year's Ontario Budget needs to include funding for child care just to
maintain our current level of child care subsidies.

The provincial child care budget currently contains $63.5 million
dollars in Federal funding - money which was not renewed in the
recent Federal Budget. $100 million would cover the expired federal
funding and municipal shortfalls.

Without additional funding in this year's budget, municipalities will
start to cut child care subsidies as soon as this September. The
result, starting in September, could be the denial of subsidies to
tens of thousands of children, leaving more families without quality
child care and causing enormous financial problems for child care
centres.

Child care is key to our economic recovery. We want to see increased
funding in this year's Ontario budget. Without more affordable child
care, parents will not be able to work or go to school. Money
invested in child care will:

- Fund expansion of affordable child care that is ready to go
- Meet pay equity commitments for low paid staff
- Reduce poverty in Ontario

For more information, please contact: Jenny Robinson, Executive
Director, OCBCC: 416-538-0628 ext. 3, 416-938-2625 (mobile) Andrea
Calver, Communications Director, OCBCC: 416-538-0628 ext. 4,
416-434-8031 (mobile)

-
-

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in