TO. Greenspiration Events: docs, talks, bikes, votes, nukes

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Feb 16 14:01:16 EST 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

-

Free showing of documentary film
The Greatest Silence: Rape in the Congo
A film about the plight of women in the Congo, followed by a talk by
Bodia Machaira, a Congloese woman and U of T student

Host:
Resistance to Canadian Gold Mining in Latin America
Wednesday, February 18, 2009

7:00pm - 10:00pm

Hart House, Music Room, University of Toronto
Contact Info:  6473427995, paulyork.2008 at gmail.com

-
-
Global warming and food - a presentation by Wayne Roberts
Some like it spicey (rather than hot): how wise and healthy food
choices are cool for the climate

Thursday, February 19, 2009

7:00pm - 9:00pm

Hart House, East Common Room
30% of global greenhouse gas emissions are a result of industrial food
production and transportation and agro-business. What are the
sustainable alternatives and how are they being implemented?

A presentation by Wayne Roberts, manager of the Toronto Food Policy
Council, widely recognized for its innovative approach to food
security and  author of The No-Nonsense Guide to World Food.

Hosted by Students Against Climate Change, University of Toronto.

For more information and other related social and environmental
justice events go to http://studentsagainstclimatechange.blogspot.com/
or visit us on Facebook
Contact Info:  Students Against Climate Change - Toronto, 6473427995,
paulyork.2008 at gmail.com
-
-

CITY IS A SWEATSHOP
19 - 22 FEBRUARY 2009

For complete program and details see:
http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/thecityisasweatshop

For people without full immigration status, Toronto is a not a welcoming
city. It is the centre of Canadian business and home to it war machine.
It's a city where undocumented people live and work under brutally
exploitative conditions. It's a city where non-status people are forced
out of schools and hospitals, unable to access housing and terrorized by
border guards. For those without status, Toronto is a sweatshop.

We refuse to stay silent! Join with grassroots community organizers from
across North America as we dismantle the sweatshop city and build a
community that is safe for all!

-
-

MUSIC SHOW IN SUPPORT OF THE ALGONQUIN OF BARRIERE LAKE

DATE: Friday, February 20th, 9 p.m.
PLACE: Cinecycle, 129 Spadina Avenue (in the alley)
INFO: http://barrierelakesolidarity.blogspot.com
COST: $5-5000 - this is a fundraiser for legal fees.

Young Wife, Woolly Leaves, $100 Trio ELECTRIC like never seen before
or maybe ever again, Personal Helicopter, with DJ Michael Comeau. Co-
thrown by Punchclock and Barriere Lake Solidarity.

-
-
Icycle Bike Race 2009

Winter cyclists race against each other on an hockey rink with
studded tires.
Icycle 09 Ice bike race is ready to roll again. Come for the action,
stay for the rubber race. thrills, spills and definitely Chills.
After party at the Bike Pirates @ 1292 Bloor West

Saturday, February 21, 2009

9:00pm - 11:00pm

Dufferin Grove Hockey Rink
Contact Info: 4165326392, service at thebikejoint.com

Saturday, February 21 @ 9am - 4.30m
U of T, Faculty of Law, 78 Queen's Park Cres.
INFO: 647.519.7585/416.691.8894; htty://fairvoteontario.eventbrite.com

$35 or $5 Student/Low Income

Come to our forum and find out how you can help make voting reform
happen. Enjoy a great line-up of sepakers and workshops. Learn about
the issues. Have your say and help plan the Fair Vote Campaign!

$35.00 ($5.00 – students/low income) for a full day of stimulating
information, discussion, questions, answers, refreshments and lunch.

For the full forum program and to register: click on http://
www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://fairvoteontario.eventbrite.com%2F

This is your chance to help strategize on putting fair voting on the
political agenda.

For more info:  lwshep at sympatico.ca or call Linda Sheppard at
416-691-8894/cell: 416-558-6660.

-
-

On February 21, 2009, Canadian Organic Growers will be holding its
3rd annual conference in Toronto called:

Growing and Eating for Nourishment: Nourishing the Future.

Keynote speaker is Carlo Leifert, head of the Quality Low Input Food
Project, a comprehensive, 5-year organic study, the results of which
will help determine future directions for eaters and farmers.  Also
confirmed are Elizabeth Guillette from the University of Florida, and
author of Playing with Poison, which documents the effect of
pesticides on children in the agricultural area of Mexico that
produces much of our fresh fruits and vegetables.  Ann Sperling,
winemaking director of Southbrook Vineyards, the first Canadian
winery to achieve biodynamic certification, will discuss this very
advanced, yet somehow ancient, viticulture.  With nine breakout
sessions to choose from covering topics such as Know Your Meat, The
Cost of Organics, Organic Makeover, Importing DDT and more, this will
be an informative and insightful conference.  More info can be found
at www.cog.ca/toronto.

Saturday, February 21, 2009
U of T conference Centre, 89 Chestnut St., Toronto
9 am - 5 pm
$85 (COG members $65), organic lunch included
Register now at www.cog.ca/toronto or by phone 416-466-9584

-
-

Decolonizing Our Minds: Creating a Space for Critical Thought

Saturday, February 21, 10am-5pm
Wilson Hall Lounge, New College, 40 Willcocks Street, 2nd Floor
INFO: 647.808.1937; essuoft at gmail.com; students.carssu at gmail.com;
http://essuoft.blogspot.com

Join the Equity Studies Students Union and the Caribbean Studies
Students Union as we construct a unique forum where academics,
artists and community members can confront systemic discrimination
within the institution, challenge the racist, sexist, and ableist
policies built to regulate marginalized identities, and invent new
ways of representing social justice initiatives. We, the students,
call on the community to resist neocolonialism and the suppression of
dissent in our attempts to decolonize our minds!

-
-

What: Screening of Toxic Trespass and Discussion
When: Sunday, February 22, 1 to 2:30 pm (film is 80 minutes)
Where: West Side Stories Video, 1499 Dundas St W at Dufferin
Cost: Pay What You Can, $2 min suggested donation

In Toxic Trespass, intrepid filmmaker Barri Cohen launches an
investigation into the effects of the chemical soup around us. She
starts with her 10-year-old daughter, whose blood carries carcinogens
like benzene and the long-banned DDT. Then, Cohen heads out to
Windsor and Sarnia: Canadian toxic hotspots, with startling clusters
of deadly diseases. The filmmaker journeys into toxic nightmares all
too common in industrialized countries. She meets passionate
activists working for positive change, along with doctors and
scientists who see evidence of links between environmental pollution
and health problems. And she learns how quickly barriers can go up
sometimes, when authorities are questioned about the connection
between toxins and serious health problems. This film is essential
viewing for anyone concerned about the effects of pollutants on our –
and our children's – very DNA.

Organic snacks will be served, compliments of Multiple Organics,
owned by Carrianne Leung. Contact: Carrianne Leung 647-435-5340.
Tracey TieF Certified Natural Health Practitioner
www.anarreshealth.ca will be on hand with a member of Women's Healthy
Environments Network to help lead our follow up discussion.

-
-

Envisioning is a multimedia exhibit that puts forward alternative,
empowering ways of
seeing disability and difference – using the power of photography and
digital stories.

Women with disabilities and physical differences present themselves
in bold new ways,
in their own words and images.

Envisioning Exhibit
Monday February 23 to Sunday March 1
Reception Febrary 28 from 3:30-5:00 pm

Ben Navaee Gallery, 1111 Queen Street East, Toronto
 From 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. daily
www.BenNavaeeGallery.com

For project information contact lrenooy at ywcapeterborough.org

-
-

No New Nukes in ON

The Ontario Clean Air Alliance is building a campaign to phase out
nuclear power. We need YOU to help us distribute leaflets, do street
theatre, organize events, and more.

Find out more about the ON government's plans to expand nuclear
power, and learn how you can plug in by attending our next volunteer
orientation:

Tues. Feb. 24th, 8 – 10 p.m., at 519 Church Street Community Centre.

Please rsvp with angela at cleanairalliance.org .

P.S. Check out Jack’s Rap (2 minute video) on our website: http://
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/

P.S.S. Have you signed the online petition yet calling for a Nuclear
Cost Responsibility Act? http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/petition.php

-
-

YOUTH COALITION FOR A RENEWABLE ONTARIO

WE ARE A COALITION OF YOUTH-BASED ORGANIZATIONS WHO ARE ADVOCATING
FOR AN ONTARIO ENERGY SYSTEM BASED ON 100% CLEAN, JUST AND RENEWABLE
ENERGY.

http://www.youthgreenpower.blogspot.com/

-
-

Bike Lane Petition

Mr. Mayor, please stop parking in bike lanes.

Dear Mayor David Miller,

We the undersigned ask you to take immediate steps to designate all
bike lanes in the City of Toronto as tow-away zones, such that any
vehicle parked in and/or obstructing a bike lane in any manner be
immediately towed. We ask that the only exception be made for
vehicles momentarily stopping to drop off /pick up disabled persons
or in the event of an emergency. In addition, that the towing of
vehicles parked in the bike lanes can be effected either by a police
officer or parking enforcement officer.

Sign the petition here: http://www.torontocranks.com/?page_id=789

-
-

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in