5th Ann. of Tooker's passing - events and quotes

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Feb 25 09:51:54 EST 2009

Please join me to honor Tooker Gomberg on the 5th Anniversary of his
passing:
http://www.greenspiration.org

If you're in Toronto:

1. Monday, March 2nd
7 - 9 p.m.
at Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway), Toronto
We will remember Tooker through his writings and his videos.

2. Wednesday, March 4th
Noon - meet at Christie Pits (the park at Bloor and Christie), Toronto
Together we will ride our bikes along Bloor to arrive at City Hall
(Queen and Bay) at 12:30 p.m.
At City Hall we will unfurl the 100 ft. TaketheTooker bike lane, and
then as a group we will submit to Mayor Miller the 5000 signatures on
our petition for Bike Lanes on Bloor. In the 3 years since we
launched this campaign in Tooker's honor (Mar. 3, 2006), this issue
has become the number one priority for cyclists in Toronto, although
at the time we launched the campaign people thought we were crazy.

3. If you haven't yet visited the Tooker Gomberg Memorial Library,
check it out. Here you will find 800 of Tooker's best books available
for loan to the public: housed at the Centre for Social Innovation,
215 Spadina (at Queen), 4th floor, open during office hours, Toronto.

For those not able to attend the above events, below find some
beautiful quotes of his.

Read them and be inspired. And then do something with that
inspiration, something that will change the world, in remembrance of
him...

- Have hope, passion and confidence that valuable change can and does
happen because individuals take bold initiative.

- You can easily join the millions of people around the world working
towards ecological health and sustainability just by doing something.

- Go forth and agitate.

- Our greatest hurtle is not money; it's imagining how things could
be different.

- Am I dreaming? Of course I am. But what's the alternative? I would
rather dream that things can be better.

- Imagine what impact it would have if millions of people were
prepared to risk arrest for their principles.

- Hitchhiking, walking and bicycling should become signs of good
citizenship.

- Be creative and persistent. Creativity and decentralization are our
strengths.

- Peace, like freedom, takes effort.

- Everybody knows that the greatest threat to our species' survival,
next to all out nuclear war, is the massive experiment we are
undertaking with the very air we breath, the atmosphere that cushions
our blue planet from the frostiness of deep space. Through ignorance,
greed and a perverse economic system, we are throwing more and more
fuel on a fire that we all know needs to be extinguished.

- If there was a fire across the street, wouldn't you break a window,
or break the law, to save a life? Are we facing unprecedented crisis
on planet earth or aren't we?

- As the climate changes, so must our consciousness. And our words
into actions.

- Each of us can and should ride our bike, compost our car, and
weatherstrip around our windows. But we can and must also apply
political pressure.

- We must always consider the consequences that our decisions will
have on our children.

- In the hallways of power we must tell the truth: the costs of all
this auto-mobility are much too high. In human terms. In dollar terms.

- We must find ways to spice up our imaginations, and tap into our
yearning for clean air and a livable city. We bury the car today in
the hope that we can stop burying our friends and our loved ones.
With spark and spirit we can end the car-nage, and rebuild our city
so that cars are hardly necessary; where what we need is in our
neighbourhood or accessible by healthier means of travel. We can
evolve our city into a healthy place for people and nature, not
asphalt and poison. We can do it. If we will it.

- After twenty years of working to educate and mobilize for
sustainable cities, I'm now convinced that the process of change is
mostly a cultural one. New ideas are first ignored, then scorned, and
then embraced as obvious. The first step is to get the ideas out into
the public arena for consideration.

- It's time for the passion for change to rush over the planet like a
tidal wave.

- Let's focus the glass and sizzle the tinder into blazing action.

- We succeeded in putting forward a vision of a sustainable city, and
showed that more often than not, doing right by the Earth also helped
the city's financial bottom line.

- Elections are a time when people consider possibilities. It IS
possible to protect the earth, create meaningful employment, revive
our neighbourhoods, and involve citizens in the decisions that affect
their lives. And especially during elections people are yearning for
an attractive picture of a sustainable, equitable city of the new
millenium. Let's get out the paintbrushes!

- It IS possible to protect the earth, create meaningful employment,
revive our neighbourhoods, and involve citizens in the decisions that
affect their lives.

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in