TO. Greenspirational Events: activism, films, forums

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Mar 2 00:42:05 EST 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

-

Please join me to honor Tooker Gomberg on the 5th Anniversary of his
passing:
http://www.greenspiration.org

Monday, March 2nd
7 - 9 p.m.
at Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway), Toronto
We will remember Tooker through his writings and his videos.

-
-

TORONTO GREEN COMMUNITY SPEAKERS SERIES

ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE AND RACISM IN CANADA

Monday, March 2nd, 2009 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Intercontinental Hotel Yorkville
220 Bloor Street West    (location is wheelchair accessible)
Entrance: $5.00

Please join us for presentations by:

- Cheryl Teelucksingh, author of Environmental Justice & Racism in
Canada and Associate Professor in the Department of Sociology at
Ryerson University

- Jennifer Foulds, Communications Director and Pollution Watch web
project lead at Environmental Defence

The presentations will be followed by a panel discussion with:

- Beenash Jafri, co-founder of the Anti-Racist Environmental
Coalition, instructor on

- Anti-Racist Environmentalism, and anti-racism workshop facilitator

- Damien Lee, founder of Anishinabek Gitchi Gami Environmental
Programs – one of the first community-driven environmental not-for-
profit organizations in an Ontario First Nation

- Ben Powless, fills a variety of roles with the Indigenous
Environmental Network, Canadian Youth Climate Coalition, the National
Council for the Canadian Environmental Network, and the Youth
Advisory Group to the Canadian Commission for UNESCO.

For more information please contact Toronto Green Community at:

Email: togreencommunity at gmail.com  or Tel: 416-781-7663

-
-

Rainforest Action Network has a local activist campaign against Royal
Bank of Canada.

Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) is investing your money to finance the tar
sands. Climate change is the biggest threat to the planet and the tar
sands are the world's dirtiest oil. RBC is Canada's Number One fossil
fuel financier. They are playing a key role in the massive expansion
of tar sands oil production. Projects they finance are destroying
First Nations communities and will contribute to a doubling of Global
Warming emissions from the tar sands in the next few years.

We need your creativity and energy to bring the message to RBC
executives, shareholders and customers that they are bankrupting our
future by financing tar sands expansion.

We will have a meeting this Tuesday March 3rd at 7pm at Trinity
St.Paul's Church, 427 Bloor Street West (just west of Spadina subway
station) downstairs in the Garden Room.

We will do an update on the campaign, brainstorm some activities and
then go out and get active at Royal Bank branches and bank machines
(spreading our message with "Global warming crime scene" yellow
caution tape and other creative messaging techniques).

Please let me know if you can make it. If that date doesn't work for
you but you still wish to get active, contact me. There are things
you can do anytime, from anywhere.

Facebook "Push Royal Bank out of the tar sands"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=70387706013

Mark Calzavara
markc at ran.org

-
-

Cyclists ride for Bike Lanes on Bloor - submit 5000 signature
petition - in Tooker's honor

Wednesday, March 4th
Noon - meet at Christie Pits (the park at Bloor and Christie), Toronto
Together we will ride our bikes along Bloor to arrive at City Hall
(Queen and Bay) at 12:30 p.m.
At City Hall we will unfurl the 100 ft. TaketheTooker bike lane, and
then as a group we will submit to Councillor Heaps the 5000
signatures on our petition for Bike Lanes on Bloor. In the 3 years
since we launched this campaign in Tooker's honor (Mar. 3, 2006),
this issue has become the number one priority for cyclists in
Toronto, although at the time we launched the campaign people thought
we were crazy.
Join us!

-
-

International community resistance to Barrick Gold: photos, film &
lecture

A multimedia presentation by several international experts on the
experience of indigenous communities who are resisting the world's
largest gold mine, Barrick Gold:

Photos from Papau New Guinea, Tanzania and the Phillipines; film
footage from Pascua Lama, Chile; updates on community resistance and
shareholder divestments; strategies for solidarity and resistance to
human rights violations and environmental destructio

Host: Toronto Mining Support Group
Wednesday, March 4 at 7:00 p.m.
O.I.S.E. Rm 2211, 252 Bloor Street West (above St. George subway)

For more info:  6473427995, paulyork.2008 at gmail.com

-
-

5 YEARS AFTER THE OVERTHROW OF DEMOCRACY IN HAITI ... DISASTER!
HAITI TODAY: TAKING ACCOUNT
With Filmmaker Kevin Pina and former Haitian Parliamentary Deputy
Jean Candio.

Every social and economic indicator in Haiti has shown a decline
since 2004.  Food production is down and hunger is up.  School
enrollments, medical facilities, house construction, road repair and
construction, and economic investment are all in sharp decline.  The
ministries of the Haitian government have been deliberately
incapacitated and underfunded as a result of foreign governments in
Haiti.

Please join the Toronto Haiti Action Committee and Students in
Solidarity with Haiti as we take account of the aftermath of the
Canadian, American and French coup d'etat in Haiti with a film
screening and public discussion.  There will be a screening of
acclaimed documentary "Haiti: We Must Kill the Bandits" and
presentations by the filmmaker Kevin Pina, and former Haitian
parliamentarian, Jean Candio.

Free event, but donations will be welcome