Greenspirational News: food, nukes, cars, action

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Mar 24 10:18:54 EDT 2009

Greenspirational News

"There’s an African proverb that tells us that when we pray, we must
move our feet.

Prayers, hopes and dreams are not enough; we are exhorted to action."

- Gabriel Draven

-
-

Earth Hour 2009

Sat. March 28th, 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. local time, wherever you live on
planet earth
Turn off all your lights and unplug all electrical appliances for 1 hour
http://www.earthhour.org/home/

If you're in the Toronto/GTA area, honor Earth Hour with a
Candlelight Vigil at the Pickering Nuclear Plant.

Safe And Green Energy, a Peterborough citizen's group, is extending
an invitation to all supporters of renewable energy to attend this
important community gathering. Bring a candle to show your support.
There are 8 nuclear reactors at Pickering Ontario, less than 25 miles
from the heart of downtown Toronto.  Four of them were refurbished
but only two of those four have been able to be restarted.  The other
four are awaiting approval for "refurbishment". The six reactors that
remain operating at the Pickering Nuclear Station are the oldest and
most dangerous reactors in the country. Join us to urge the McGuinty
government to shut down these old, dirty, dangerous reactors, and
replace them with cheaper, cleaner, safer green power.

The candlelight vigil will take place at the entranceway to the
Public Information Centre at the Pickering Generating Station.
If you’re going via public transit, a ride will await you at the GO
Station. Contact Jeff Brackett, brackett at nexicom.net to rsvp your
attendance and request a ride.
If you’re driving, take HWY 401 to the Brock Road exit (#399) in
Pickering. Take Brock Road south 2.7 km to Montgomery Park Road; turn
right onto Montgomery Park Road and proceed to the gate on your left.
For more info contact Jeff Brackett, brackett at nexicom.net, SAGE –
Safe and Green Energy

-
-

> The City That Ended Hunger

>> March 18, 2009
>
> By FRANCIS MOORE LAPPÉ

> "I knew we had so much hunger in the world," Adriana said. "But
> what is so upsetting, what I didn't know when I started this, is
> it's so easy.
> It's so easy to end it."
>
> Adriana's words have stayed with me. They will forever. They hold
> perhaps Belo's greatest lesson: that it is easy to end hunger if we
> are willing to break free of
> limiting frames and to see with new eyes-if we trust our hard-wired
> fellow feeling and act, no longer as mere voters or protesters, for
> or against government, but as problem-solving partners with
> government accountable to us.

> http://www.counterpunch.org/lappe03182009.html

-
-

Nuclear Power: The wrong choice

The province of Ontario is at a crossroads.

Right now, the province needs to invest billions in rebuilding its
aging electrical power system. It can either adopt and encourage
clean renewable energy or commit to building expensive new nuclear
plants that create harmful radioactive waste.

Green power: Today's choice for Ontario's Future clearly explains the
choices Ontario must make if it is to become a green energy leader
and how the province could create green collar jobs in the process.
It's suitable for any Ontario resident who's ever had questions about
the role of nuclear power in our energy future.

“Green Power” was produced by the David Suzuki Foundation, WWF, and
Pembina Institute.
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Publications/green_power_ontario.asp

-
-

News from Climate Action Network - Canada

- More than 2500 delegates from over 80 countries came together last
week for a historic conference on climate science. A statement at the
end of the meeting announced that "the worst-case IPCC scenario
trajectories (or even worse) are being realized."  The conference
released six key messages. More>

- The New York Times reported from the conference that "by the end of
the century, sea levels may rise twice as much as was predicted two
years ago...  This means that the lives of some 600 million people
living on low-lying islands, as well as those living in Southeast
Asia's populous delta areas, will be put at serious risk if climate
change is not quickly and radically mitigated." More>

- Time Magazine asks: Could Rising Sea Levels Swallow California's
Coast? More>

- The Independent reports that the "impact of climate change on the
Amazon rainforest could be much worse than previously predicted, new
research suggests." More>

- The Pembina Institute points out that the Obama Administration is
proposing to invest over six times more per capita in renewable
energy and energy efficiency than Canada. More>

- The Swedish government said it aims to reduces its greenhouse gas
emissions 40% below 1990 levels by 2020. Additionally, 50% of all
energy produced will be renewable, the Swedish car fleet will be
independent of fossil fuels by 2030, and Sweden will be carbon
neutral by 2050. More>

http://www.climateactionnetwork.ca/e/index.html

-
-

America's vanishing cars

Through recessions and gas shocks, the number of autos on the road
every year has increased since the end of WWII. Until now.

By Chris Isidore, CNNMoney.com
March 13, 2009

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- In another sign of just how far the U.S.
auto industry has fallen, this is likely to be the first year since
1945 when the number of new cars bought will be less than the number
of cars turned in to the junk yard.

Auto industry research firm R.L. Polk is forecasting a drop in total
auto registrations for the first time since car plants were busy
turning out tanks for World War II. This time it's economic distress
and tight credit keeping purchases down.

"Cars were a bubble just like the housing market was a bubble," he
said. "That's going to depress demand in subsequent years."

http://culturechange.org/cms/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=358&Itemid=1

-
-

B.C. GOVERNMENT MOVES TO BAN URANIUM AND THORIUM EXPLORATION

The B.C. government has issued a retroactive cabinet order to ban
permits for uranium and thorium exploration and development in the
province.

The ban has already set off a multi-million dollar lawsuit against
the provincial government.

Article at:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/
ALeqM5gCkRbyMRIa6S9asWG7YUdF15veXg

-
-

Three Mile Island Nuclear Meltdown - 30th anniversary

This March 28th will mark the 30-year anniversary of the partial
nuclear meltdown at the Three Mile Island (TMI) nuclear generating
station near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

The TMI meltdown was the first time a commercial nuclear power plant
self-destructed. The accident was a dramatic illustration that
nuclear power plants can massively malfunction with potentially
catastrophic consequences. The fact that the TMI meltdown did not
turn into a full-blown disaster was chiefly due to luck.

Despite strenuous denials by the government and the nuclear industry,
there is little doubt among the people living in the area, as well as
among knowledgeable observers, that a great deal of radiation was
released having immediate as well as longterm biological effects.

The TMI accident was an event of global significance. People in many
parts of the world may wish to commemorate its 30th anniversary.
Please spread the word!

You can send e-mails of support to Three Mile Island Alert
at ericepstein at comcast.net .

-
-

Making a Killing: the untold story of psychotropic drugging

http://www.fightforkids.org/video/mak_preview.html

-
-

Tell RBC It’s Foolish to Invest in Tar Sands

As you may have heard, RAN (Rainforest Action Network) recently
launched a new effort to clean up RBC (Royal Bank of Canada), the
biggest financier of Alberta's tar sands.  This dirty oil project
will single-handedly ensure that Canada won't meet its Kyoto
commitments.  The project is poisoning the water supply of First
Nation communities and causing environmental devastation on a scale
that can be seen from space!  Worst of all, if you’re an RBC account
holder, they’re using YOUR money to do it!

This April 1, join RAN activists across North America for Fossil
Fools Day demonstrations at RBC branches and offices.  It’s easy –
just grab some friends, download materials from our page on Facebook
(http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?imported&id=55066179755#/pages/
Clean-up-RBC/55066179755), and join the fun!  You don’t need a
Facebook account to access this group, and everything you need can be
found at the “Drop.io” tab.

If you need help coming up with ideas or planning your action, feel
free to contact me at ederanger at ran.org or post your question (or
ideas!) on the Facebook page under Discussions.  Post some great
pictures of your action, and we’ll even pitch in to cover your
expenses (up to $50) if you send us your receipts.

So get out there and help stop RBC from investing our money in this
extremely foolish project!

Eriel Deranger <ederanger at ran.org>

Freedom From Oil Campaigner, Rainforest Action Network

-
-

Cancer Prevention Network Warns of Growing Incineration Trend in Canada
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2009/04/c6001.html

Together, cancer, in it's various forms, and heart disease, are
responsible for the majority of deaths in Canada.
It makes infinite sense therefore, to limit the exposure of Canadians
to cancer causing chemicals.

One such source of exposure is as a result of the combustion of solid
waste.  Dioxins and furans - persistent organic pollutants - are
amongst the 200 or more chemicals, which have a range of health
effects, including cancer, that are found in the emissions from this
disposal option.

Unfortunately, however in this day and age of climate change concern
and the desire for "energy security", incinerator proponents, under
the guise of energy from waste (EFW), are receiving completely
unwarranted attention, from all levels of Government.

Meanwhile - simple, responsible waste diversion including at-source
waste reduction initiatives and Extended Producer Responsibility are
a far more efficient means to conserve energy, truly mitigates
climate change and is a far more economical, flexible and safer
approach.

We ask you to join in signing the attached Statement  which calls for
the need to phase out current incinerator facilities and a
prohibition on new incinerator proposals.

Thanks in advance for your support

Rod Muir
PCN Anti-Incineration Campaigner

To learn more about Prevent Cancer Now please visit
http://preventcancernow.ca/main/about-us/mission

To learn more about this campaign please visit
http://preventcancernow.ca/main/issues-actions/stop-incineration

-
-

The Bush Regime must be judged by an International Tribunal set up by
the UN General Assembly
– Joan Russow, PhD, Global Compliance Research Project

In Canada, on March 17, rather than arresting Bush as a war criminal,
the police arrested citizens calling for Bush to be put on trial.

While the numerous campaigns to impeach Bush have unfortunately been
unsuccessful, and while attempts have been made to arrest Bush under
various National laws has, up to this point failed, the Bush regime
still must be judged, by the international community, for war crimes,
crimes against the peace, and crimes against humanity.  A Petition to
UN General Assembly to set up International Tribunal to try the Bush
regime has been circulated widely. Formerly,  on March 8, 2007 on
International Women’s day, the Petition to the UN General Assembly
was submitted, in the six UN official languages, to the former
President of the UN General Assembly. The current president of the UN
General Assembly Miguel d'Escoto Brockmann has indicated that Bush
should be put on trial: “If the real justice is in order, people like
George Bush who are committing crimes throughout the world should be
put on trial. (March 8, 2009).”

The petition can be signed at
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/5t4r3e2w/petition.html

For further information; please contact: Joan Russow Ph.D., Global
Compliance Research Project, (jrussow at gmail.com)

-
-

France's nuke power poster child has a money melt-down
March 19, 2009

The myth of a successful nuclear power industry in France has melted
into financial chaos.

With it dies the corporate-hyped poster child for a "nuclear
renaissance" of new reactor construction that is drowning in red ink
and radioactive waste.

Areva, France's nationally-owned corporate atomic façade, has plunged
into a deep financial crisis led by a devastating shortage of cash.

http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/7/2009/1732

-
-

Check out these superb films online about the Alberta Tarsands:

Down Stream
Oscar Short-Listed film about the Tar Sands and Ft. Chip, Alberta
http://www.babelgum.com/html/clip.php?clipId=3015242

See also Andrew Nikiforuk's web page to see a short, informative
movie based on his new book:
http://www.andrewnikiforuk.com/

-
-

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in