Greenspirational News: climate, G20, eating, Olympics

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Mar 31 11:16:01 EDT 2009

Greenspirational News

Evil flourishes when good men [and women] are silent.
- Edmund Burke

-
-

TookerTV - An activist's life caught on tape

a dvd compilation of 9 of Tooker's own video productions, ranging
from 1990 - 2002

Tooker Gomberg was one of Canada's great activists. Using media,
politics, street theatre and direct action, he lovingly poked and
prodded at our complacent Canadian culture, encouraging us ever
forward toward a peaceful, sustainable future. Share Tooker's
triumphs and tragedies in this completion of his works on video.

http://rbcc.ca/purchase-tooker-DVD.shtml

-
-

Urge Parliament to Act on Climate Change

On April 1st, Parliament will be voting on the NDP Climate Change
Accountability Act, Bill C-311, the Climate Change Accountability
Act. The purpose of the Act is to prevent dangerous climate change,
by ensuring “that Canada contributes fully to the stabilization of
greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere.”

By passing the bill, Canada would commit to taking action as called
for by our KYOTO plus campaign. This means reducing emissions of
greenhouse gases by 25% below 1990 levels, by the year 2020 – with
reductions of 80% by 2050. These science-based targets are essential
to avoid the most devastating impacts of climate change: severe
droughts, water shortages, famines, extreme weather events and rising
sea levels that threaten millions of people around the world.

Please take action today: Send an e-message to the leaders of all the
political parties represented in Parliament. Urge them to pass Bill
C-311 as soon as possible. To sign the online letter, visit:
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5654/t/4747/campaign.jsp?
campaign_KEY=1273

-------

This legislation sets tough but achievable targets that will ensure
Canada does its fair share to avoid the dangerous two-degree increase
in average global temperature that scientists maintain will happen if
action is not taken. Instead of dwelling on past missed
opportunities, we look to a sustainable future where Canada’s
economy is buoyed by practical green solutions. For more information
please visit: http://pubs.pembina.org/reports/c311-letter-
english.pdf  and http://www.ndp.ca/press/ndp-brings-back-first-
climate-change-accountability-act .

It is clear that Harper's Conservatives do not support meaningful
action on climate change. Therefore, we need your help to rally all
opposition MPs to vote for this important Bill. Please contact your
own MP and urge him/her to support C-311 so Canadian action on
climate change can be advanced. To obtain contact information, please
visit: http://tinyurl.com/3dg9g3.

-
-

World leaders are meeting at the London G20 Summit to tackle the
global economic crisis −− we desperately need them to agree to
invest in a green recovery and a bold global rescue package of
stimulus, regulation and fundamental reform.

But without a massive outcry for bold action in the next few days,
our leaders could fail this historic test. So we’re launching an
emergency petition to the London Summit −− it will be delivered
direct to summit officials and leaders and in a thousands−strong
march this weekend, follow this link to add your voice:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/global_economic_rescue/98.php?
cl_taf_sign=019908eaa06ae0a87827a8ab1f0475e1

-
-

Hometown Heroes
Recognizing Environmental Achievements

They take a stand when it comes to the environment. They get their
neighbours involved in supporting a healthier community. They achieve
results for a greener future. They are Earth Day Canada’s Hometown
Heroes.

The Hometown Heroes Award Program, established by Earth Day Canada in
2004, recognizes and celebrates environmental leaders who foster
meaningful, long-term community awareness and action.

Become Canada’s 2009 environmental hero and receive a cash–prize
of $10 000 — $5 000 to keep and $5 000 to donate to the
environmental cause of your choice. Nominate yourself, an individual
or group from your community by Earth Day 2009.

Apply now. It’s time to recognize your Hometown Heroes.

-
-

We Need SLAPP Suit Legislation

Barrick Gold has sued Écosociété Publishers and their authors for
$6 million in moral and exemplary damages over the publication of the
book: Noir Canada. Pillage, corruption et criminalité en Afrique.

This Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (SLAPP)
represents a serious threat to the right to information and the
freedom of expression.

We need SLAPP suit legislation in all Canadian provinces and
territories to protect individuals and organizations of the civil
society. Sign the petition here:

http://slapp.ecosociete.org/en/node/add/signature

-
-

Canada’s media networks have all been slammed by the recession. But
the government is reportedly considering bailouts for its friends at
private companies CTV and CanWest, while forcing the CBC to
drastically cut 800 staff and programming.

Our CBC is a national treasure, and a pillar of public-interest
journalism in a country whose media is owned by a few large firms. We
won’t hear an outcry from their media outlets, and the CBC is too
principled to use its megaphone to make the case for itself. We are
the only voice the CBC has.

We urgently need a massive public outcry to Save the CBC, click below
to sign the petition and forward this email to everyone who might
care about this:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_cbc/97.php?
cl_tta_sign=6da978c1c26f9fde4e0cd96ce71840b6

The petition will be delivered directly to the government, through
Parliament, ads, and spectacular stunts such as an airplane pulling a
giant Save the CBC banner over parliament. In each case the number of
signatures on the petition will be crucial to the effectiveness of
the campaign, so let’s get as many people as possible to sign.

-
-

Three Mile Island Killed People
Nuclear Industry's Despicable Regulatory Record

As the thirtieth anniversary of America's most infamous industrial
accident approaches, we mourn the deaths that accompanied the biggest
string of lies ever told in US industrial history.

http://culturechange.org/cms/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=365&Itemid=1

-
-

7 Rules for Eating
Choose Food Over Food-Like Substances, Food Writer Michael Pollan
Tells CDC

Pollan says everything he's learned about food and health can be
summed up in seven words: "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Probably the first two words are most important. "Eat food" means to
eat real food -- vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and, yes, fish and
meat -- and to avoid what Pollan calls "edible food-like substances."

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20090323/7-rules-for-eating

-
-

Are you Pre-Diseased?
with Alan Cassels

a superb, 2-part radio documentary on CBC Ideas

Why wait until you are diagnosed with cancer, if you can hunt it down
before it could kill you? Why not get a simple high tech CT scan to
see if you are harbouring signs of pre-disease in your heart, your
lungs, your breasts or your bowels? Those are the questions that dog
Health Researcher Alan Cassels as he voyages inside the world of
cancer screening, taking him from his own doctor's office to the
world's biggest medical meeting.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/pre-diseased/index.html

-
-

10 Reasons Why We Resist the 2010 Olympics

1. Colonialism & Fascism

2. No Olympics on Stolen Land

3. Ecological Destruction

4. Homelessness

5. Criminalization of the Poor

6. Impact on Women

7. 2010 Police State

8. Public Debt

9. Olympic Corruption

10. Corporate Invasion

http://no2010.com/node/18

-
-

War Resisters Update: First they came for...

Kim Rivera and her family are facing the threat of deportation, and
Harper and Kenney's Conservatives continue their stubborn campaign
against those who resisted an illegal war in Iraq.

http://rabble.ca/news/war-resisters-update-first-they-came

-
-

Nuclear Power Cannot Solve Climate Change

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN

A new report finds that nuclear power plants cannot be built
quickly enough and in a safe and secure manner to be a major
global solution for climate change, according to a report released
yesterday from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=nuclear-cannot-solve-climate-change

-
-

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in