TO. Greenspirational Events - docs, spirit, forums

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Apr 8 11:32:05 EDT 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

-

Relief and Resistance: A Poor People's History of East Downtown Toronto
Gaetan Heroux, Ontario Coalition Against Poverty

Thursday April 9th, 2009
4.00-6.00pm (Room 2125, Sidney Smith Hall, 100 St. George Street)*

East Downtown Toronto is the city's oldest working class
neighborhood. It
was once the home to some of Toronto's wealthiest residents. Today,
Toronto's "skid row" is located in the heart of East Downtown
Toronto, and
the area has one of largest concentration of social housing in
Canada. The
current gentrification of the area threatens the very existence of this
working class neighborhood and has become a staging ground for some of
Canada's most militant anti-poverty demonstrations in since the mid
1990's.

How did this transition happen? What was the relationship of Toronto's
wealthy philanthropists and church organizations to the "vagrants" and
"tramps" who were flooding the city and East Downtown Toronto at the
turn
of the 19th century and onward? What role did Toronto's poor houses play
in the lives of poor people in the area? What was the city's response to
slums which emerged in the area shortly have the industrialization of
Toronto? How did a local church, which at one time was the church of
some
of Toronto's most affluent residents, come to open its doors to some of
Toronto's poorest residence? How did the local park go from being the
playground of the rich to the rallying grounds of the poor? Why are poor
people being displaced from Toronto's oldest working class neighborhood?

These are the questions that the presentation will attempt to answer.

*About Gaetan Heroux:*
Mr. Heroux is an anti-poverty activist with the Ontario Coalition
Against
Poverty (OCAP) and an Identification Outreach Worker with the Street
Health
Community Nursing Foundation. For the last twenty years he has worked
with
homeless and low-income people in East Downtown Toronto, has served on a
number of steering committees related to poverty, homelessness and
violence and has been a featured speaker at public events, panel
discussions, rallies and workshops on poverty in cities across
Ontario and
Quebec. Mr. Heroux is currently working on a book on the history of East
Downtown Toronto.

For more information, contact Ayesha Alli, alli at geog.utoronto.ca *
416 946-0269

-
-
The Health Studies Program at University College Invites You to the

First Annual Health Studies Research Symposium

Thursday, April 9, 1-3:00 pm

Room 152, University College

15 King’s College Circle, University of Toronto

Marilyn Heymann = Ethics in Global Health

Lucia Fiestas Navarrete - The Effects of Housing Affordability on
Mental Health

Tomas Krakowski - Improving Community Mental Health with Social
Capital & Stress Reduction Leisure

Mallory Switzer - Neighbourhood Health Priorities: a comparison study
of four

low-income Toronto communities

Plenary Speaker: John Clarke

Ontario Coalition Against Poverty - Community Responses to Poverty
and Economic Crises.

-
-

Ecumenical Good Friday Walk for Justice

Fire:
Stirring the embers of justice

Friday April 10, 2009

Starting at 2:00 PM
Church of the Holy Trinity (Eaton Centre)
Final station at Holy Trinity
Soup and bread at 4:30 PM

-
-

> SHINE A LIGHT ON DARFUR
> SUNDAY APRIL 12, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
> QUEEN'S PARK
>
> The annual rally and candlelight vigil for Darfur, will be held on
> Sunday, April 12th at 7pm in Queen’s Park and will feature several
> renowned speakers, including the Hon. Irwin Cotler, Sgt. Debbie
> Bodkin, amazing musical performers and much more!
>
> As the genocide in Darfur enters its sixth year, it is important
> that as Canadian citizens we unite to send a message to our
> government that the people of Darfur require immediate protection
> and relief and that the perpetrators of these crimes against
> humanity should be brought to justice.
>
> In recent weeks, there have been a number of developments with
> regard to the situation in Darfur. At the beginning of March, the
> International Criminal Court (ICC) issued an arrest warrant for
> President Omar al-Bashir. Following the ICC announcement, President
> al-Bashir expelled 13 of the major aid organizations from Sudan.
> The UN suggests that this latest development will leave 1.1 million
> people without food, 1.5 million without health care and 1 million
> without drinking water.
>
> With each passing day, the situation in Darfur is becoming more
> critical and we, as Canadian citizens, have a responsibility to
> ensure that our government is making Darfur a priority.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
www.darfurtoronto.com

-
-

Toronto Book launch for
Elizabeth May's “Losing Confidence"

MONDAY, APRIL 13
Its been described as ‘a ringing manifesto for change from Canada's
Green Party leader and activist” and is an insider's view of the ills
that beset our federal politics.

Location : Ben McNally Books

366 Bay Street   5 pm – 7 pm

Tel. 416-361-0032

info at benmcnallybooks.com

Details : Short talk, book signing and mingling

-
-

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to the free
Toronto premiere of the oilsands documentary:
Downstream

Short listed for an Academy Award, Downstream is a short documentary
about a Canadian doctor who raised concerns about the alarmingly high
rates of rare cancers amongst Aboriginal peoples in Fort Chipewyan,
downstream for Alberta’s oilsands developments.