No Nuke News - films, news and GEA

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri Apr 10 11:42:32 EDT 2009

> [...]

> determine whether this legislation powers a green energy revolution
> or leaves Ontario a sputtering green weakling.
> There are four additional elements needed to create a prosperous
> green economy: A real commitment to ramp up spending on energy
> efficiency; a more enlightened approach to using natural gas;
> increased electricity trade with Quebec; and an end to blank cheque
> spending on nuclear projects.
> http://www.torontosun.com/comment/2009/03/23/8848431-sun.html

> France's nuke power poster child has a money melt-down
> March 19, 2009
>
> The myth of a successful nuclear power industry in France has
> melted into financial chaos.
>
> With it dies the corporate-hyped poster child for a "nuclear
> renaissance" of new reactor construction that is drowning in red
> ink and radioactive waste.
>
> Areva, France's nationally-owned corporate atomic façade, has
> plunged into a deep financial crisis led by a devastating shortage
> of cash.
>
> http://www.freepress.org/columns/display/7/2009/1732

> The Battle of Chernobyl
> A superb 90 min. 2007 documentary on the Chernobyl disaster.
> Watch it free on you-tube:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?
> v=t4vMTdSAm1w&feature=PlayList&p=6BB4C9CA0705E0D5&index=0&playnext=1

> 5 min. doc of Chernobyl by Greenpeace
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_8frR0IpE&feature=related

> Uranium mine water leak concerning, govt says
>
> About 100,000 litres of contaminated water is seeping from a
> tailings dam at the mine every day.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/03/15/2516584.htm

> Startling Revelations about Three Mile Island Disaster Raise Doubts
> Over Nuke Safety
> A growing body of personal and scientific evidence contradicts the
> official story that the accident posed no threat to the public.
>
> http://www.alternet.org/story/134977/

> Why Green Energy? Renewable Solutions
> with Dr. David Suzuki & Dr. Hermann Scheer
>
> Thur. April 23, 6:30 p.m.
> Convocation Hall, King’s College Circle, U of T, Toronto
>
> Ticket prices:
> Adult - $35
> Student and Senior - $25
>
> http://www.greenenergyact.ca/Page.asp?PageID=924&ContentID=1203

> Health threat of Perry nuclear power plant should be studied
>
> Lake County's child cancer death rate rose 54 percent since
> Perry NPP began operating, compared to a 27 percent
> U.S. decline, the Centers for Disease Control reports.
>
> http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/othercolumns/index.ssf?/
> base/opinion/1238834114290920.xml&coll=2

> Nuclear Power Cannot Solve Climate Change
>
> SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN
>
> A new report finds that nuclear power plants cannot be built
> quickly enough and in a safe and secure manner to be a major
> global solution for climate change, according to a report released
> yesterday from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

Counting the Costs: Three Mile Island - The Choice
In the third and final episode of "Counting the Costs," The Choice
looks at nuclear accidents that have happened since the Three Mile
Island incident, including those in Chalk River, Ontario and in
Chernobyl, Ukraine. more

Tuesday April 14 at midnight on CBC Radio On

> Submission regarding the ON Green Energy Act
>
> If you're an Ontarian, would you consider writing a brief
> submission to the ON Legislature (deets below) regarding the Green
> Energy Act? And would you consider including OCAA’s proposed
> amendments as part of your submission?
>
> Thanks for your help in ensuring that nuclear competes on a level
> playing field with other energy producers.
> -a
> --------
>
> Ontario’s Green Energy Act (GEA) could change the energy landscape
> in Ontario (it can be viewed by clicking here).  But right now the
> Act is still missing two important elements:
> ·        It needs to ensure a level playing field for renewable
> energy sources by banning the costly practice of allowing nuclear
> power companies to pass their capital cost overruns on to
> electricity consumers and taxpayers.  Renewable power suppliers
> cannot pass on their capital cost overruns.  The GEA must end
> nuclear energy’s special deal.
> ·        It should encourage the more efficient and sensible use of
> natural gas by creating a feed-in tariff (guaranteed price and
> terms) for combined heat and power projects.  The more efficient
> use of our limited natural gas resources will help Ontario make the
> transition to a 100% renewable electricity grid.
>
> You can make a difference.  The Ontario Legislature is currently
> holding hearings on the proposed GEA.  You can make a written
> submission (a letter will do) by sending it to: Mr. Trevor Day,
> Clerk, Committee on General Government, Room 1405, Whitney Block,
> Queen's Park, Toronto, ON M7A 1A2; Trevor_day at ontla.ola.org; or fax
> 416-325-3505. Deadline for submissions is April 22, 5 p.m.
>
> For more on what needs to be done to truly make the Green Energy
> Act the best it can be, see our short background paper at
> www.cleanairalliance.org/gea.
>
> Please pass this message on to your friends.
>
> Thank you.

> Angela Bischoff
> Campaign Manager
> Ontario Clean Air Alliance
> Tel: 416 926 1907 x 246
> 625 Church Street, #402
> Toronto, ON M4Y 2G1
> angela at cleanairalliance.org
> www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca
> www.cleanairalliance.org
> Our Facebook Group
> Sign Our Petition

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in