TO. Greenspirational Events: Earth Day and more

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sat Apr 18 20:27:19 EDT 2009

Toronto Greenspirational Events

Toronto Women’s Bookstore, University of Toronto Press and Oxfam
Canada present author and activist
MARILYN WARING in conversation with MICHELE LANDSBERG

MONDAY APRIL 20, 7pm
toronto women's bookstore
73 harbord street

we regret our washroom is not wheelchair accessible.

all our events and courses are trans inclusive.

Join internationally acclaimed activist and author Marilyn Waring as
she celebrates the publication of her newest collection of essays, 1
Way 2 C The World, and sits down to chat with social justice activist
and friend, Michele Landsberg.

Famous in Canada for her seminal 1988 book on gender and economics,
Counting for Nothing: What Men Value and What Women are Worth, and
the subsequent NFB documentary, Waring’s characteristic wit,
compassion, and insight are on full display in this newest collection.

Featuring selected essays from 1984 to 2006, 1 Way 2 C The World
travels across two decades of social change and many more continents
to discuss human rights, gay marriage, globalization, the
environment, and international relations and development.

Marilyn Waring is a professor in the Institute of Public Policy at
the Auckland University of Technology.

Mind Control: from corporate education, media, and psych drugs up to
tauma-based
Are kids at risk due to unnecessary psych drugging?

Free Lecture
Monday, April 20 from 6pm to 8pm

University of Toronto, St. George Campus,
Sandford Fleming Building, Room 1105, 10 King's College Road
(north from College, one block east of St. George Street)

For more info contact:
Sydney White, Investigative Journalist or Lois White CCHR 416-200-1681
fightforkids2005 at yahoo.ca

-
-

Earth Day Vibrations (presented by Regenesis)
Tuesday April 21st - Noon to 9pm
Senior Common Room - 021 Winters College - York University

Has the hustle and bustle between the walls of York University ever
gotten you down?
Ever seen a friendly face but felt too shy or been too busy to get to
know it?
Ever feel the urge to let loose, dance and just simply be yourself -
but can’t because you feel like you’d be the only one, or be looked
at strange?
Slow down,
Take a breath,
and join us in sending and receiving some good vibrations!

Vibrations is an event to bring out that spectacular bright energy
within all of us - to inspire and transform! In the equilibrium of
our own relaities exists the spontaneous energy that make our lives
melodic. Join us in remapping the energy of our vibrations, to make
the world a more synchronised, melodic orchestra, one vibration at a
time.

Itinerary:
Vegan Potluck: 12-depletion. Anticipated time: 6pm
SWAP - bring in a bag of your used clothing, shoes, accessories,
books, art and housewares, and take another bag home: 12-9pm
Henna Tatoos: 12-5
Poetry readings - open mic 1:30-2:30
Make your own garment. An intercative workshop with our resident
artist: ongoing
Yoga -TBA-bring a mat and comfy clothes.
Jewellery Making station with supplies - make or learn how to make
jewelery and other accessories: ongoing
Guerilla Gardening: 3-4
Film Screening and discussion - MIND FUCK Presentation: 6-8
Canvass Painting - paint a communal expression! 12-dusk(outside)
Live Music - compliments of our resident band, Alan Candy and the
Outer Space Band! Ongoing.
Drum Circle - compliments of drummers in exile! Ongoing
At 3pm join us for Guerilla Gardening, as we help to beautify the
York University Campus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guerrilla_gardening

Admission FREE if you bring either a dish or a bag (grocery) of
lightly used clothing, shoes and/or accessories OR pay $3 at the door
and enjoy a soulful feast of great music, great food, great fun!

This event is not open to exclusively York students, any one from
anywhere can join us! So bring a friend - or 7!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=58506477310

-
-

JOIN CODE PINK TORONTO for:

War is Not Green Rally

Earth Day April 22: 5 PM

AT THE CORNER OF BLOOR AND SPADINA – GIVE OUT PINK SLIPS!!

WHAT WAR IS COSTING IN YOUR TAXES - http://www.earthday.net/node/15012

Wear something pink!

-
-

Earth Day Cleanup of Stong Pond
Wednesday April; 22nd, 5pm-7pm
Stong Pond York University
Gloves and bags provided
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=68420886289

-
-

Climate Action Network presents:

Celebrate Earth Day 2009 with a Climate Change Seminar and Public Forum
Find our what Canada is doing in the fight against climate change and
how you can make a difference

On Earth Day - Wed. April 22 - join several of Canada's top climate
change experts at an afternoon seminar and evening public forum to
learn about Canada's role in the international effort to stop global
warming.

Wed. April 22

Seminar: 3 - 5 p.m.
At the Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina
Free, but rsvp mburgess at climateactionnetwork.ca
This seminar will be of interest to activists, academics, advisors
and anyone interested in discussing Canada's role in the
international community.

Forum: 7 - 9 p.m.
Steel Hall, 25 Cecil St.
Free. Speakers include:
Tom Athanasiou, EcoEquity
Dave Martin, Greenpeace

http://www.climateactionnetwork.ca/e/  ,
mburgess at climateactionnetwork.ca

-
-

Why Green Energy? Renewable solutions with:
DR. DAVID SUZUKI AND DR. HERMANN SCHEER

hosted by the Green Energy Act Alliance

at Convocation Hall, University of Toronto

Thursday, April 23rd from 6:30-8:30 pm.

The purpose of the event is for these two key renewable energy
advocates to talk about green energy and how it can shape our future,
aid our economy and provide thousands of jobs, while minimizing
impacts on the planet. As well, they will comment on the proposed
Green Energy and Green Economy Act for Ontario and how it is a world-
class Act, better than any other renewable energy policy in North
America.

The Ontario Minister of Energy and Infrastructure, the Honourable
George Smitherman, and Ontario MPPs have been invited to attend this
event, as well as energy industry and utility representatives, Union
representatives, members of the financial and investment community,
First Nations groups, and eNGOs.   We anticipate a full house for
this event, with strong participation by government and key Green
Energy Act Alliance stakeholders.

For more information, please contact info at greenenergyact.ca.

Tickets can be purchased at http://www.uofttix.ca/view.php?id=478

-
-

Toronto Book Launch

Blowback: A Canadian History of Agent Orange
Because wars always come home

Friday, April 24, 7:00pm - 9:35pm
Tinto Coffee House, 89 Roncesvalles Avenue

Blowback:
A Canadian History of Agent Orange and the War at Home
with author Chris Arsenault

The village of Enniskillen, a sleepy cluster of a few dozen houses in
New Brunswick’s Queens County, has never been invaded by a foreign
power. But during the 1950s to 1970s, the village was ground zero for
a different kind of offensive, this one launched by the American and
Canadian military against its own people with the deadly dioxin Agent
Orange. Between 1956 and 1984 the Canadian military and its private
subcontractors sprayed more than 1 million litres of rainbow
herbicides around New Brunswick. The American military was invited to
test Agent Purple and other toxins on Canadian soil after the
chemicals had been banned by the U.S. Congress.

This is the story of a war coming home; a story of the military and
economic currents that allowed Agent Orange to blow through trees and
into rivers in New Brunswick. More than anything, it’s a story of
soldiers, civilians and local residents who blew back against the
government and companies who poisoned them.
-
-

No To Nuclear Weapons: The Canadian Connection
April 24-26th in Toronto

Join us for a weekend of expert panels and workshops bringing
together environmental and peace groups to examine the full spectrum
environmental, health and peacebuilding impacts of the Uranium
Nuclear System including Canada's role in nuclear weapons production
from uranium mining, to nuclear power, and reprocessing of nuclear
waste. Join us for this exciting weekend as we launch the Canadian
Voice of Women for Peace "Campaign for a Nuclear Free World."

To order your tickets today, please call Helen Chilas 416-473-8238 or
email: h-chilas at rogers.com
For weekend agenda, please visit online: www.vowpeace.org/events.html

Endorsed by: International Peace Bureau (Nobel Peace Laureate),
Sierra Club, Science for Peace, Physicians for Global Survival (GGS),
Hiroshima Day Coalition (HDC), Canadian Department of Peace
Initiative (DoP), Women's Healthy Environmental Network (WHEN),
International Institute of Concern for Public Health (IICPH), Ontario
Clean Air Alliance (OCAA), Cottagers Against Uranium Mining,
Seriously Time to Stop, Veterans Against Nuclear Arms (VANA).

Presented by: Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, established in 1960
and accredited to the United Nations (ECOSOC). Visit online:
www.vowpeace.org

-
-

Green Living Show
April 24-26
Exhibition Place, Toronto
http://www.greenlivingonline.com/torontoshow/

-
-

Please join Kathleen Wynne, MPP Don Valley West &  Rob Oliphant, MP
of Don Valley West for our

Earth Day Cleanup

Saturday, April 25, 1:30pm
Flemingdon Health Centre, 10 Gateway Boulevard
Light lunch and beverages will be served
Cleanup begins at 2:30 pm

Please help support the Flemingdon Food Bank by donating some
nonperishable food items.
Representatives from the food bank will be on hand to collect
donations from 1:30 to 2:30 pm.

-
-

MAYWORKS FESTIVAL
Festival of Working People and the Arts

APRIL 25-MAY 3

http://www.mayworks.ca/

-
-

The Question of Sustainability
An Examination of the Canadian Mining Industry: Environment, Culture,
Human Rights, Legislation and Economics

Sunday, April 26, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Earth Sciences, Room 1050 (ES 1050, University of Toronto (5 Bancroft
Avenue)
"The Question of Sustainability" is a conference dedicated to
examining the Canadian mining industry through the lens of
sustainability within ecosystems, human rights, culture, and economics.

Featuring speakers from Papua New Guinea, Chile, the Congo, Tanzania
and Peru, as well as many First Nations speakers and academics from
Canada.

This conference brings together indigenous people from the global
south and the global north, and serves to address some of the complex
social, political and environmental issues that relate to the
imposition of extractive industries on traditional cultures.

Major issues include water use and contamination, human rights
violations by Canadian companies operating abroad, the question of
corporate social responsibility, and the autonomy and preservation of
traditional cultures.

Moderated by Judy Rebick

$10 (slide scale) to cover cost of meals; free for students. No
registration required. Donations gladly accepted (available seating
for 400 in auditorium).

Hosts: Science for Peace, Students Against Climate Change / Toronto
Mining Support Group, Aboriginal Students Association of York University

Endorsement: Amnesty International (Toronto chapter)
For more info: 647342799  indra at pantropy.net
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=63955562749

-
-

Start planning your Bike Train getaway this summer!

The Bike Train Initiative is expanding on new routes across Ontario
in 2009. Space will be limited, so start planning your Bike Train
getaway with family and friends today.

Here's a preview of our 2009 season plans:

Toronto-Niagara Greenbelt Express
The popular Greenbelt Express is back for its third season!
Experience the history of Niagara-on-the-Lake, visit wineries and
attractions, or circumnavigate the 150km Greater Niagara Circle
Route.  For our Niagara region and U.S. visitors, take the train to
Toronto and explore our vibrant neighbourhoods, expansive parks and
cultural attractions.

Ontario East - Pilot Route
This pilot will connect Toronto with several destinations along Lake
Ontario and the St. Lawrence Valley, perfect for touring along the
Waterfront Trail. Station stops are still being determined, check the
website soon for updates.

Ontario North - Pilot Route
This Ontario Northland pilot will take passengers from downtown
Toronto to the unspoilt wilderness, clear lakes and diverse
attractions of North Bay. With several recreational trails and
countless country roads, it promises to be a nature lovers' escape.

Ontario Southwest - Pilot Route
This Toronto-Windsor pilot will provide cyclists access to Windsor's
historical and culture attractions, Essex County and Point Pelee
wineries, diverse parks and birdwatching areas. Come cycle Canada's
southernmost region!

Stay tuned for 2009 schedule and ticket information.  Visit
www.biketrain.ca for more information.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard the Bike Train this summer!

Take the Train - Bring Your Bike!
Cycle Ontario This Summer.
www.biketrain.ca

-
-

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in