Greenspiration News: passport burning, climate, cars, drugs

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Jul 7 23:31:23 EDT 2009

Greenspiration News

"We must live at a level that we seriously can wish others to attain,
not at a level that requires the bulk of humanity not to reach."
Arne Naess

Tell Harper: don't block climate talks!

The world has just months left to agree on a binding global climate
treaty -- humanity's best shot at preventing catastrophic global
warming of more than 2 degrees celsius.

This week at the Italian-hosted G8 summit, Stephen Harper is trying
to veto the 2-degree limit -- and an immediate nationwide outcry is
needed to stop him.

Click below to sign the petition to Harper and other G8 leaders -- an
Avaaz team in Italy will deliver it directly in meetings and through
spectacular stunts on Thursday, bringing global media attention to
shame the climate-wreckers and press them to back down. We urgently
need at least 100,000 signatures -- click to sign:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/two_degrees_canada

Tooker took action

Back in November 2000, nations of the world met at the Hague to
negotiate a global climate treaty. Some of you will remember that
Tooker Gomberg burned his passport in disgust at the Canadian
government's obstructionist position. Perhaps we need more passport
burnings!

Watch the one minute video of Tooker burning his passport here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02b5Ir16ccI

Canada, Russia Considered Climate ‘Bad Boys’ Among G8 Nations

Canada and Russia, both northern and oil-rich, are making the least
progress in cutting carbon- dioxide emissions among the major
economies, a new study shows.

Canada is furthest from its reduction target for the greenhouse gas
under a global treaty and has made little progress compared with
other Group of Eight members, according to the report commissioned by
German insurer Allianz SE. Output of CO2, released by burning fossil
fuels such as oil and coal, is the second-highest on a per-capita
basis after the U.S., which is writing its first legislation to curb
carbon emissions.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aKecgoGFIH7Y

PEDALLING FOR THE PLANET
July 3rd marks the launch of Pedal for the Planet, a cross-country
bike rally encouraging individuals and organizations to speak out and
demand that Canada start acting like a leader in the fight against
climate change. Separate groups will depart from St. John's, and
Victoria with cyclists from across the country converging in Ottawa
in mid-September. Along the way riders will collect signatures for
the KYOTOplus petition. More...>

CANADA DAY REPORT NO CAUSE TO CELEBRATE

Canada has now replaced the United States as the worst performer in
the G8 on climate change, according to a report released on July 1 by
WWF and  insurance company Allianz SE. More...>

COUNTDOWN TO "HOPENHAGEN"

The UN and the International Advertising Association have launched
"Hopenhagen", a global marketing campaign designed to move the public
from dispair or apathy about climate change to a belief that
meaningful action can be taken. More...>

Drive-thru Resources - Call for a Moratorium
from Council of Canadians Organization - Canada’s Most Extensive
Resource on Drive-thrus is available to you on the web.

The issue on a drive-thru moratorium has quickly become a hot topic
across the nation.

Drive-throughs are an incredible detriment to our environment and are
a luxury item we can live without.

Demand that all levels of government impose an immediate moratorium
on all new commercial drive-through operations and establish a
timetable to phase out all existing drive-through operations through
zoning or other by-laws.

Find helpful resources here: http://drivethrulies.wordpress.com/
Sign the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ban-drive--
throughs-in-canada
The Need to Start Somewhere: http://drivethrulies.wordpress.com/the-
need-to-start-somewhere/

Ending 'free' parking should be our cities' most urgent priority

Hidden costs drive up consumer prices and encourage urban sprawl

The cost of providing a single parking space could be up to $40,000.

Researchers estimated that parking subsidies are several times the
price of gas used by cars.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/fp/Ending+free+parking+should
+cities+most+urgent+priority/1762832/story.html

We Become Silent

WE BECOME SILENT (28 min. video documentary) details the ongoing
attempts by multinational pharmaceutical interests, giant food
companies, and government agencies to limit the pubic's access to
herbs, vitamins and other therapies. The film highlights the US
government's complicity in suppressing the truth about the
effectiveness of alternative/complimentary medicines, and outlines
the international plan to eliminate freedom of choice in healthcare
through the work of the Codex Alimentarius Commission.

http://www.therealfoodchannel.com/page/24.html

Medication Madness:
How Psychiatric Drugs Cause Violence, Suicide, and Crime
by Peter Breggin, MD

Over the years as a psychiatrist I've evaluated innumerable cases of
individuals who have been driven over the edge by psychiatric drugs.
Many of these men, women and children were evaluated for legal cases
but others were not. When I was re-evaluating about a hundred of
these real-life stories for my latest book, Medication Madness: The
Role of Psychiatric Drugs in Cases of Violence, Suicide and Crime, I
began to see a pattern that I call medication spellbinding.
Technically, the new scientific concept is called intoxication
anosognosia: not knowing that you are intoxicated. <snip>

I am not critical of the occasional and responsible use of legal
recreational drugs like alcohol. But I do not believe that a drug can
help people solve their personal problems. Psychiatric drugs -- like
all psychoactive substances -- work by impairing brain function, and
when we're under stress and have problems to solve we need a fully
functioning brain and mind. We need to be able to take complete
responsibility for ourselves and to think through our problems with
rational clarity. All psychiatric drugs impair those higher mental
functions

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggin/medication-madness-how-
ps_b_223922.html

Antipsychotic drug use spiralling in kids, research says

Medical research out of the University of British Columbia suggests
the number of children taking medications known as atypical
antipsychotics has increased tenfold over the past decade, CBC News
has learned.

The drugs — a class of medicines used to treat psychosis and other
mental and emotional conditions — can have potentially serious side-
effects, and are linked to increases in stroke and sudden death in
adults.

Health Canada has not approved atypical antipsychotics for children.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/07/02/health-drugs.html

100 Reasons to NOT Celebrate Canada Day

No amount of gun salutes, military fly-overs, Snow bird formations,
fire works explosions, flag wavings can eclipse what has been really
happening in Canada. No amount of nice sounding rhetoric such as in
the minority government’s 2007 Speech from the Throne, comparing
“Canada to the guiding light of the North Star”, can prevent Canada
from now being perceived as an international pariah of corporatism
and militarism. Canada has increasingly become and international
rogue state, contributing to war and conflict, to violating human
rights, to denying social justice, and to destroying the environment.

http://www.pej.org/html/modules.php?
op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7733&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Costa Rica Is World's Greenest, Happiest Country

"Costa Rica is the greenest and happiest country in the world,
according to a new list that ranks nations by combining measures of
their ecological footprint with the happiness of their citizens.

http://www.truthout.org/070609EA?n

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in