No Nukes News: changing times

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri Jul 24 09:23:44 EDT 2009

No Nukes News
July 23, 2009

-

We’re blitzing central Toronto (St. Paul’s riding) with our new
leaflet. http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/OntarioOption.pdf
If you can help, let me know – I’ll fill you in. We need you!

And if you can distribute leaflets to your community, just say the
word – I’ll mail them to you.
- angela at cleanairalliance.org

-
-

Put a stake in nuclear vampire
Forget about new reactors to supply our electricity -- they're
unreliable and expensive

Quicker-to-build green energy technologies are waiting in the wings.
Unlike the expensive prototype reactor Premier McGuinty hopes Prime
Minister Harper will buy him, conservation, renewables and local
generation are proven technologies and their costs are coming down.
Renewables generated as much electricity in Germany last year as all
of Ontario's nuclear stations.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/2009/07/22/10215521-sun.html

-
-

Bruce Power to Focus on Additional Refurbishments at Bruce A and B
Bruce C and Nanticoke new build applications withdrawn

Bruce Power will focus on the refurbishment of its remaining Bruce A
and B units rather than build new reactors in Bruce County in order
to supply Ontario with 6,300 megawatts of electricity.

Bruce Power will also withdraw its application to build new reactors
in Nanticoke given Ontario’s declining electricity demand.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Bruce-Power-1021043.html

-
-

Nuclear future dims for Ontario
Thousands of jobs are on the line as McGuinty government waffles on
$26-billion plan to renew the province's aging fleet of nuke plants
"They will continue to do a dance because no one wants to be blamed
for the failure of AECL as a company," NDP MPP Peter Tabuns said.

"I can't see this project going ahead without the feds or the
province pumping huge amounts of public money into making these
things economically viable."

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/07/20/10192836-sun.html

-
-

Bruce shuts down unit

Bruce Power has shut down a reactor at the request of the Independent
Electricity Market Operator due to a surplus of baseload generation
in Ontario as the province experiences both a cooler than normal
summer and the fallout of a manufacturing industry hard hit by the
recession.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1660612

-
-

Extensive damage at German nuclear power plant - ATOMIC NIGHTMARE
Krümmel Accident Puts Question Mark over Germany's Nuclear Future

The recent accident at the Krümmel nuclear power plant in northern
Germany was more serious than was previously known. Anglea Merkel's
Christian Democrats are now finding themselves on the defensive with
their plans to extend the life of German nuclear reactors.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,druck-635788,00.html

-
-

Why nuclear energy is not the answer to Climate Change

It’s funny.  People really believe that nuclear power is emissions
free.  Powering cities with nuclear, they propound, is the panacea to
climate change.  And yet, if you really take a look at the fuel
cycle, it is obvious nuclear energy is, in fact, emissions intensive.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12119-San-Miguel-County-Environmental-
Policy-Examiner~y2009m7d20-Why-nuclear-energy-is-not-the-answer-to-
Climate-Change

-
-
Dear Renewable Energy Supporter,
We need your help!

The Ministry of the Environment (MOE) has posted draft regulations on
a new approvals process for renewable energy projects: the Renewable
Energy Approval (REA). While the proposed regulations are in some
ways an improvement to the current system, some of the new
requirements are excessively prohibitive and restrict renewable
energy development in otherwise suitable sites across the province.

The regulations are available at http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/business/
green-energy/
We need your help to make sure that the final regulations invite
renewable energy projects rather than prohibit them in Ontario.

How can you help?  Submit a comment to the Environmental Registry (EBR).

In order to help you participate in this process, the Green Energy
Act Alliance has prepared a brief letter in support of our five major
recommendations on how to improve the process.  Please submit this
letter, or your own submission to the Environmental Registry by
faxing your letter to (416) 327-9823 or by submitting your comments
online at http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-External/
displaynoticeconte nt.do?
noticeId=MTA2NDQ5&statusId=MTU5NjQ1&language=en.

The letter can be accessed by clicking this link or by going to the
homepage of our website www.greenenergyact.ca
All comments must be submitted by 5pm Friday July 24th, 2009.
Reference EBR Registry number 010-6516 in the subject line of your
submission.
Please let us know if you have submitted either this letter or your
own submission.
Thank you!
Green Energy Act Alliance.
info at greenenergyact.ca

-
-

Angela Bischoff
Campaign Manager
Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Tel: 416 926 1907 x 246
625 Church Street, #402
Toronto, ON M4Y 2G1
angela at cleanairalliance.org
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca
www.cleanairalliance.org
Our Facebook Group
Sign Our Petition

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in