No Nukes News - lots to celebrate

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Thu Aug 6 10:43:57 EDT 2009

No Nukes News
July 31, 2009
“AECL will never operate an unsafe reactor.”

Dr. Jean-Pierre Labrie is manager of reactor physics and systems
behaviour, office of the chief engineer, Atomic Energy of Canada
Limited.

-
-

Throughout August, we’re blitzing central Toronto (St. Paul’s riding)
with our newly revised leaflet, in anticipation of a provincial by-
election.
If you can help, let me know – I’ll fill you in. We need you!

And if you can distribute leaflets to your community - anywhere in
Canada - just say the word – I’ll mail them to you.
- angela at cleanairalliance.org

-
-

Bruce nixes 'more nukes' plan

The economic meltdown has put an end to Bruce Power's plan to build
nuclear reactors at two southern Ontario sites, the company said
yesterday.

The pullback is more proof that the purported renaissance of nuclear
power is slipping into a dark age, critics say.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/07/24/10242761-sun.html

-
-

Scratch those new Ontario reactor plans
Bruce Power cites drop in electricity demand as reason to refit old
plants, not dream up new ones

Bruce Power has abandoned its grand vision of building new reactors
in Nanticoke and at its existing site near Kincardine, another sign
that the nuclear "renaissance" is not emerging as planned.

But Shawn-Patrick Stensil, a nuclear energy analyst at Greenpeace,
said it's becoming clear that the promise of affordable next-
generation nuclear power is not coming true. "Nuclear reactor
projects are falling like dominoes," he said.

http://www.thestar.com/article/671027

-
-

Bruce Power pulls plug on two planned nuclear stations
There have been hopes among nuclear energy proponents that interest
in atomic power is about to undergo a revival after worries over the
Three Mile and Chernobyl accidents caused construction of new plants
to cease in North America for the past two decades.
But recently, some of that optimism has faded.
Besides the cancellations in Ontario, major utilities in the United
States, including Entergy Corp. and Exelon Corp., have suspended some
of their plans for new nuclear power plants. Last month, Moody's
Investors Service, a credit rating firm, warned that it is
considering taking a more negative view on utilities considering new
nuclear stations.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bruce-power-pulls-plug-
on-two-planned-nuclear-stations/article1228507/

-
-

Recently, representatives of the medical isotope industry have
publicly argued that the MAPLE reactors should be started up
immediately so as to alleviate the isotope crisis. The following
article explains why that is an irresponsible proposal.

Don't count on MAPLE for medical isotopes
Contrary to reports that the MAPLE reactors are the short-term answer
to today's global medical isotope shortage, I can confirm there are
significant technical and regulatory hurdles that require, in the
best-case scenario, at least five to six years of intensive research
and analysis before we can even consider bringing the MAPLE reactors
on-line.

AECL will never operate an unsafe reactor.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/
2009/07/28/dount-count-on-maple-for-medical-isotopes.aspx

-
-

Hiroshima Day

Thur. August 6th, 2009 @ 6:30 - 9:00 PM. "Hope for a Nuclear Free
World".
Peace Garden, Nathan Phillips Square. Toronto. (Paper Crane & Lantern
Craft Tables start at 4:30 PM).

Featuring family entertainment with a Children's Choir, Northern
Lights Chorus, Yakudo Drummers, Raging Grannies.
Speakers include Bruce Cox from Greenpeace and A-Bombing Survivors,
Joe Ohori and Setsuko Thurlow.
Lantern Ceremony at 8:30 PM.

Nagasaki Day

Sun. August 9th, 2009 @ 2:00 - 4:30 PM.
Two Films. One Afternoon. Meet the Directors, A-Bombing Survivors &
Peace Activists
Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre, 6 Garamond Court, North York.

Featuring the Award-Winning Documentary "No More Hiroshima, No More
Nagasaki"
and "Veterans Against Nuclear War".

Back by Popular Demand: "Hiroshima, Nagasaki Photo Exhibit & A-
Bombing Survivors Artwork".
August 6th, 2009. All day. Rotunda, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen
Street West.
August 9th, 2009. All Day. Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre, 6
Garamond Court, North York.

Presented by the Toronto Hiroshima Day Coalition:
www.hiroshimadaycoalition.ca

-
-

Sing the Online Petition:
Stop Making More Nuclear Waste

"Uranium is the raw material of a power-elite who has taken Mother
Earth's every living creature hostage."  The Late Petra Kelly, An
Authentic Green

Nuclear fissioning happens in nuclear reactors or in nuclear warheads.
Nuclear waste is the only product of nuclear fissioning.
Nuclear waste is destructive of all living things.
Nuclear waste lasts forever and must also be monitored forever.
Nuclear waste will beggar our grand children.
Greed for profit now is the only thing that drives the nuclear industry.
Tapping renewable energy sources coupled with moderate consumption
and healthy habits will meet all our needs and bring back a healthy
environment for now and all generations to come.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/7/stop-making-more-nuclear-waste

-
-

Angela Bischoff
Campaign Manager
Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Tel: 416 926 1907 x 246
625 Church Street, #402
Toronto, ON M4Y 2G1
angela at cleanairalliance.org
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca
www.cleanairalliance.org
Our Facebook Group
Sign Our Petition

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in