No Nukes News - opposition building

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Thu Sep 17 00:15:47 EDT 2009

No Nukes News

Most oppose nuclear power in Saskatchewan, report says

The Future of Uranium public consultation report released Tuesday has
thrown cold water on proposals to expand the nuclear industry in
Saskatchewan.

The report from consultation chair Dan Perrins says most Saskatchewan
people who attended meetings and sent letters to him during the
summer do not want a nuclear power plant, a nuclear waste disposal
facility, or any expansion of the nuclear industry.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/09/15/nuclear-
plant.html
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Strong+opposition+against+nuclear
+power+Saskatchewan+report/1996139/story.html

Coalition Launches Green Campaign

The Coalition for a Nuclear Free Alberta (CNFA), comprised of a
number of Alberta grassroots organizations, launched its province-
wide Green Ribbon campaign today to try and convince the provincial
government that investing in green renewable energy sources is the
right choice for meeting our future electricity needs rather than the
costly and risky nuclear option being considered.

The slogan for the Green Ribbon Campaign is “A truly Green Energy
Future . . . does not include nuclear power”. The campaign is meant
to make Albertans aware of the merits of renewable energy such as
wind, solar, small hydro and biofuels. The Coalition plans to
distribute ribbons and related information across the province in a
movement leading up to a mass Rally at the Legislature on October 27.

www.keepalbertanuclearfree.com

Nuclear power plant meets with disapproval of chiefs

Chief Rose Laboucan of Drift Pile First Nation (Grand Chief, Lesser
Slave Lake Regional Band Council): "Speaking against a nuclear power
plant is one thing. We are trying to fight a system that will make
decisions without long term consideration of the harm that a nuclear
power plant will bring. Where I sit, I am directly down wind from the
proposed nuclear power plant. We already have enough sickness, like
cancer and diabetes, without adding to that. We have to speak out
against it, see what other countries have had to deal with in the
aftermath of the plants."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_6964/is_6_16/ai_n32071916/

Swarm power for Germany
In a bid to create a decentralized electricity grid, German carmaker
Volkswagen is launching thousands of mini power plants that could be
installed in the basements of any residential home.

Together with clean energy provider Lichtblick, Volkswagen plans to
install up to 100,000 small power plants -- able to generate heat and
electricity -- in people's homes to generate enough energy to offset
two nuclear power plants. Taken together, all mini plants would have
a capacity of 2 GW.

The project could lure many Germans away from traditional utilities
toward decentralized energy generation, which experts say will be the
buzzword of tomorrow's energy mix.

The so-called at-home plants will be run by a natural gas engine
based on the one that's powering the VW Golf car, marketed in North
America as Rabbit.

http://www.upi.com/Energy_Resources/2009/09/11/Swarm-power-for-
Germany/UPI-60071252691773/

Wind Could Meet China's Electricity Demands: Study

Wind power could meet China's electricity demands through 2030 and
cut carbon dioxide emissions in China by 30 percent, U.S. and Chinese
researchers said on Thursday.

Wind energy accounts for just 0.4 percent of China's total current
electricity supply, but the country is quickly adding capacity,
trailing only the United States, Germany and Spain in existing wind
farms, the scientists said.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N10410609.htm

N.B. premier ready to demand update on refit of province's nuclear
reactor

The premier of New Brunswick says he'll demand some answers from
Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. and the federal government on the state
of the refurbishment of the Point Lepreau nuclear power plant.

Shawn Graham says with the project more than seven months behind
schedule, New Brunswick ratepayers deserve some answers.

The province is paying about $1 million a day for replacement power
while Lepreau is shut down.

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/canada/article/310851--n-b-premier-
ready-to-demand-update-on-refit-of-province-s-nuclear-reactor

Underwater footage of the sunken ship that could contain nuclear waste

A shipwreck that could contain nuclear waste is being investigated by
authorities in Italy amid claims that it was deliberately sunk by the
mafia. An informant told a judge the ship was one of a number he blew
up as part of an illegal operation to bypass rules on the disposal of
toxic waste.

An official said that if the samples proved to be radioactive then a
search for up to 30 other sunken vessels believed scuttled by the
mafia would begin immediately.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8257912.stm

Flashmob for the Climate

I'm organizing a flashmob event in Toronto and want to invite you to
join in our action (demanding a strong climate change agreement).
It’s one of hundreds of rallies taking place on Mon. September 21st
all across the world, organized through 350.org and AVAAZ.

Our flashmob event is organized through a campaign I am involved in -
C−Day Fill the Hill, Canada's largest citizen' gathering on climate
change, taking place Oct 24 on Parliament Hill (www.climateday.ca).

On Sept 21, we will be setting our cell phone alarms to go off at
12:18pm (signifying Dec 18 climate talks), and video taping the event
for world leaders at the UN to see. Join me at noon at Yonge & Dundas
Square on Monday, Sept 21. Here's the URL to RSVP:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/sept21_rsvp/?id=133818&cts=BbM9qs9

Hope to see you there! Please forward this to your friends as well!

The plans for September 21 events are thrilling in their variety: a
gathering in Ethiopia will beat drums to sound the alarm. Monks will
chant prayers. And everywhere, from Berlin to Buenos Aires, Avaaz
members will gather in peaceful, spontaneous "flash mobs" in public
places to sound the alarms on their mobile phones, flood their
governments with phone calls urging climate action, and make a
tremendous noise. The images, sounds, and videos will be stitched
together overnight for presentation to world leaders at the United
Nations the next day!

Best,
  Cheryl McNamara
www.carbonslim.blogspot.com

C-Day Fill the Hill (Join thousands. Make Climate Change History)

Earthcycle

The University of Toronto Environment Resource Network (UTERN) and
Bikechain are proud to present EarthCycle, a weeklong festival at the
University of Toronto running from September 21st to September 26th.
The university’s most ambitious Environment Week to date, EarthCycle
will feature 28 events over six days of almost constant activity.
 From bike races to eco-tours, documentary film screenings and
lectures by world renowned thinkers, EarthCycle has something for
everyone.

For a full schedule of events and details (location, time etc):
http://theearthcycle.wordpress.com/

Check out the Earthcycle climate change lectures and films:

i) Mon. Sep. 21 - "What Prospect for a Decent Future": climate change
and the university
ii) Wed. Sept. 23 - Ontario's Energy Future - Nuclear or Renewable?
iii) Wed. Sept. 23 - Carbon Capture & Storage: False Hope or Climate
Change Salvation?
iv) Thur. Sept. 24 - Climate Change & Psychological Barriers to Change
v) Thur. Sept. 24 - Eco-films - focus on biodiversity
vi) Fri. Sept. 25 - Book Launch: "Life, Money & Illusion: Living on
Earth as if we want to stay"

Full program and details: http://theearthcycle.wordpress.com/

Celebrating their 25th Anniversary

Sat. September 26, 9 a.m. – 4:30 pm.
Native Canadian Centre, 16 Spadina Rd., Toronto

10 a.m. Keynote Address Rosalie Bertell Ph.D. G.N.S.H., Founder and
Immediate Past President introduced by Founder and Prof. Emerita
Ursula Franklin
Other presentations include:
- What about the nuclear renaissance?
- International Perspectives on the Energy Future

Promises to be a dynamic anti-nuclear teach-in! –a

For more info:  http://iicph.org/files/turning-things-around-poster.pdf

To register email info at iicph.org with subject line - Register me - or
phone 416-786-6128

Bombs Away
An evening of anti-nuke comedy and music

Sat. Sept.26th, 7:30 p.m
Cecil Community Centre, 58 Cecil Street (south of College, just east
of Spadina), Toronto
Adults $20 or pay what you can, Students $7 or pay what you can

http://www.seriouslytimetostop.com/nonukesnight.htm

Seriously, Time to Stop is committed to spreading the word about
nuclear weapons and finding ways to let governments know what you
think about this issue.

Stop URANIUM-Mining in Ontario

DEMAND a LEGISLATED BAN for ONTARIO like the one granted to British
Columbia B.C., Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Labrador are protected.
Ontario is a free-for-all!

RALLY

SUNDAY SEPT. 27, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
QUEEN’S PARK, TORONTO

SPEAKERS: Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green Party of Canada; Bruce
Cox, Executive Director Greenpeace Canada; Robert Lovelace, Retired
Chief of the Ardoch Algonquin First Nation
Live Music

Organized by Cottagers against Uranium Mining and Exploration, CUME
-  http://www.fighturanium.com/cume.html
For more info: Cottagers.vs.mining at sympatico.ca

Angela Bischoff
Outreach Director
Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Tel: 416 926 1907 x 246
625 Church Street, #402
Toronto, ON M4Y 2G1
angela at cleanairalliance.org
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca
www.cleanairalliance.org
Our Facebook Group
Sign Our Petition
No Nukes News

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in