TO. Greenspiration Events

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 24 15:27:48 EST 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Petropolis:  Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands

Shot primarily from a helicopter, Peter Mettler's visionary flimmaking
offers an unparalleled view of the world's largest industrial, capital
and energy project. This bird's eye view offers a staggering and
unique perspective on how some of the world's dirtiest oil is produced—
and how much we're willing to sacrifice in the pursuit of
unsustainable and destructive energy sources. From the poisoning of
downstream First Nations communities and the total assimilation of
wildlife habitats, to the contamination of critical waterways and the
clear cutting of the Boreal Forest, the tar sands have become the
poster child of where our global addiction to dirty fuels has taken
us. "Petropolis: Aerial Perspectives on the Alberta Tar Sands" seeks
to expose the true nature of this fiercely destructive project by
taking the viewer deep into the oily belly of the beast.

Royal Theatre, Toronto (608 College St.)
Sunday 24th January - 4:30pm and 7:00pm
Monday 25th January - 7:00pm
Tuesday 26th January - 7:00pm
Wednesday 27th January - 7:00pm

In conjunction with the screenings there will be a Q+A with a host of
speakers, including film-maker Peter Mettler and Greenpeace Canada's
Executive Director, Bruce Cox.
Tickets will be available at the Royal on the day of performance, 30
minutes before each screening, so arrive early to ensure entry. Ticket
price is $10. Students and seniors $8.
Find out more about the film: http://www.petropolis-film.com/#

DREAMLAND
Presented by Cinema Politica

Free film screening
Wed. Jan. 27, 6 p.m.
Hart House, Arrbor Room, U of T

This is one of the best environmental films ever made. An incredibly,
moving, inspiring and fantastically political film that will make you
want to be a better steward of this planet.

SYNOPSIS: How much unspoiled nature should we preserve and what do we
sacrifice for clean, renewable energy? Dreamland gradually turns into
a disturbing picture of corporate power taking over small communities.

Dreamland is a film about a nation standing at cross-roads. Leading up
to the country’s greatest economic crisis, the government started the
largest mega project in the history of Iceland, to build the biggest
dam in Europe to provide Alcoa cheap electricity for an aluminum
smelter in the rugged east fjords of Iceland. Today Iceland is left
holding a huge dept and an uncertain future.

In Dreamland a nation with abundance of choices gradually becomes
caught up in a plan to turn its wilderness and beautiful nature into a
massive system of hydro-electric and geothermal power plants with dams
and reservoirs. Clean energy brings in polluting industry and
international corporations. It’s the dark side of green energy.

This event is FREE and OPEN TO EVERYONE.

Brought to you by:
University of Toronto Students' Union (http://www.utsu.ca)
University of Toronto Environmental Resource Network (http://www.utern.org
)
Cinema Politica ( http://www.cinemapolitica.org)
  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=256770514540

A Conversation Cafe for COP15

Wednesday, January 27, 8 p.m.
The Buttery, Larkin Building, Trinity College, 15 Devonshire Place

In mid-December 2009, thousands of people from around the world
gathered in Copenhagen, Denmark for COP15 - the largest climate
negotiations in history. Twelve University of Toronto students
attended the conference as a student delegation and want to share
their experiences, impressions and concerns from their time in
Copenhagen.

Join us on January 27 at 8:00 for an informal and interactive
discussion of COP15. What happened? What have we learned? Where can we
go from here?
Tea and coffee and home-made treats will also be provided. We hope to
see you all there.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=274766867816

CLIMATE JUSTICE NOW: Report-back from UN Climate Change Talks in
Copenhagen

Thursday, January 28, 7pm
United Steelworkers Hall
25 Cecil Street
(south of College, east of Spadina)

On January 28 Toronto Climate Campaign is hosting a report-back from
the UN Climate Change Talks in Copenhagen, Denmark. Join us as we hear
participants from different delegations discuss the negotiations and
the "Copenhagen Accord", the 100,000-strong demonstration, the
shameful role of the Canadian Government which won the "Fossil of the
Day" award ten times throughout the conference and what we can do to
build a vibrant movement for Climate Justice in Toronto.

Speakers include:
CLAYTON THOMAS MULLER Tar sands organizer, Indigenous Environmental
Network
CAROLYN EGAN President, Steelworker Toronto Area Council
DAVE MARTIN Energy coordinator, Greenpeace Canada
KIMIA GHOMESHI Member, Canadian Youth Delegation
(Moderator) BRETT RHYNO Organizer, Toronto Climate Campaign

FREE! ALL WELCOME!
Help build the report-back. Posters, leaflets and supplies are
available at Trinity-St. Paul's Centre (2nd floor), 427 Bloor Street
West (just west of Spadina).

TORONTO CLIMATE CAMPAIGN
web: www.torontoclimatecampaign.org
e-mail: info at torontoclimatecampaign.org

Lecture by Nobel Prize Winner Dr. Ulric (Neville ) Trotz on the
outcome of COP15

Thur. Jan. 28, 7 p.m.
Hart House, Debates Room, U of T

Hosted by CARSSU
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=261833070813

DIRT – The Movie

Thu, Jan 28, 6:30-8:30 PM (Reception at 6:30 PM, movie at 7 PM)

Bloor Cinema (506 Bloor St Wat Bathurst)

You can buy sprouts, vegetable earrings or memberships during the
reception.
Advance tickets are available online (http://bit.ly/5mvEPT) and at the
door on a sliding scale of $10-20 (fundraiser for FoodCycles).

DIRT! The Movie, tells the amazing and little known story of the
relationship between humans and living dirt. The film offers a vision
of a sustainable relationship between Humans and Dirt through the
stories of global champions who are determined to fix the damage we've
done before it's too late. There are many ways we can preserve the
living skin of the earth for future generations. If you care about
your food, water, the air you breathe, your health and happiness...
it's time to see DIRT! the Movie, roll up your sleeves for action and
Get Dirty.
FoodCycles, a new Toronto urban farm and host of the evening, will
give an introduction to the night talking about how you can take
action here in Toronto.http://foodcycles.org

Debat sur les changements climatiques

EcoAmbassadeurs du Monde vous invite a sa soirée débat:

« LES CHANGEMENTS CLIMATIQUES, OU EN SOMMES NOUS ? »

Avec l’aimable participation d’experts membres d’ONGs présentes à
Copenhague

Débats décontracté et inclusif sur le thème :
« Les Défis des Changements Climatiques de la Décennie »

VENEZ PARTAGER VOS EXPÉRIENCES ET QUESTIONS

Vendredi 29 Janvier 2010 à 18h00
Au Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Avenue, 4ème étage

Plan d’accès, cliquez ici
Vous désirez réserver une place ou nous rejoindre ?
Téléphone au (416) 840-6052, poste 222,
Courriel a communication at ecoambassadeurs.org
Au plaisir de vous rencontrer !

L’équipe d’EcoAmbassadeurs du Monde et de JustEarth
www.ecoambassadeurs.org
www.justearth.net

Vote Out Fluoride Campaign Meeting
Saturday, January 30th, 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, 7th Floor Peace Lounge (Bloor, at
St.George Station)
Join us for a brief introduction to our campaign and learn how you can
get involved in the fight against fluoridation in our public water
supply.  This is a strategy and implementation meeting for the campaign.
  Sponsored by the Council of Canadians, Toronto Chapter.
torontochapter at gmail.com
Ph: (416) 979.5554 | 1.800.208.7156
Visit www.canadians.org for the latest news and action alerts.

Haiti - Training For Solidarity

- a day for the running community to come together for an up to 20km
training run in support of our friends in Haiti

Saturday January 30, 9:00 am registration – Training Runs start at
9:30am

At the Palais Royal, 1601 Lake Shore Boulevard West

This will be a “pay what you can” event.

Sponsored by Running Free and Runners Den, two independent southern
Ontario running shops.

For more info and to register, http://www.runningfree.com/missionhaiti.aspx
Email Nick Capra at missionhaiti at runningfree.comfor more information.

Making green jobs happen: A governance forum for leaders in Ontario

Saturday, January 30, 12:00pm
Direct Energy Centre, Toronto

How do we make green jobs happen in Ontario? Support for a green
economy is universal. Now it’s time to look at the practical
strategies for creating real green jobs on the ground. Meet with
leaders in all sectors to hear about how Green Jobs can go from vision
to reality.

WORKSHOPS
Municipal Financing for Green Retrofits
Learn how municipalities can promote and finance green energy projects
and energy efficiency retrofits for homes and make money at the same
time

Green Schools
Schools can be leaders in green energy and in the learning that
supports it. Hear about how schools across the country are showing the
way forward

Creating Green Jobs Strategies for Ontario
Strategies to move communities into a green economic future are being
created by leaders from all sectors. Learn about the latest strategies
for green jobs,

Cost: $75, includes refreshments, presentations and workshops
Register online at: www.civicgovernance.ca/ontario

For more information, contact the Centre for Civic Governance at the
Columbia Institute
416-531-7265 | ontarioforum at columbiainstitute.ca | www.civicgovernance.ca/ontario

Beit Zatoun

Opens Wed. Jan. 27
612 Markham St. (Bathurst subway)

Inaugural Performance:
A dramatic reading to commemorate the first anniversary of Gaza bombing
Saturday, January 30 @ 6:00 pm

This performance piece for three voices is adapted from a diary kept
during the Israeli assault on Gaza
in December 2008 into January 2009. The diarist is Khulood Ghanem, a
27 year-old woman living
in Khan Younis in central Gaza.  Written in Arabic, the first seven
days were translated into rough
but clear English by the diarist.

Tel: 647-726-9500 ;  more about the play
By donation - suggested $20; unwaged $5 - no one turned away
Proceeds shared with a fund for Khulood Ghanem
Housed in a beautiful, large space with a terrific location at
Bathurst and Bloor, Beit Zatoun looks to fulfill its mission to be an
art and culture venue.

Beit Zatoun (translates as "House of Olive") is a gallery and
performance space for the justice and human rights community in
Toronto. It aims to raise awareness and create greater understanding
as ultimate means to peace through art and culture by hosting
exhibits, talks, screenings, plays, music, dance, workshops, and a
resource centre.

Although at the core, the question of Israel/Palestine is but an
intersection point for many struggles and human dimensions.  Beit
Zatoun invites and welcomes all communities resisting oppression and
affirming the rights of individuals everywhere to live in dignity and
freedom. Beit Zatoun is also the global office and centre for Project
Hope, a long-time partner of Zatoun.  All Zatoun products will be
available for sale at Beit Zatoun.

Regular Hours:

Wednesday, 12 noon to 6 pm

Thursday & Friday,   12 noon to 8 pm

Saturday & Sunday,  11 am to 6 pm

Monday & Tuesday,  Closed

Events will extend beyond the posted times. Please visit us during
these hours and attend our special events.

For more info: www.beitzatoun.org

The Catalyst Centre is pleased to announce the launch of
A School of Activism

A series of workshops to support activists, community development
practitioners and anyone interested in social change.

All our workshops and courses are based on a recommended fee with a
Pay What You Can option.

See list of workshops here: http://www.catalystcentre.ca/Catalyst_Centre/A_School_of_Activism.html

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in