TO. Greenspiration Events: Feb. 8 - 14

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 7 20:30:57 EST 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Finding the "Yes" Behind the "No"
Connecting Across Differences for Activism

Mon Feb 8, 6:30-9:00 pm
COST: Suggested $25 (with a pay what you can option)
LOCATION: contact Henry for location

Information / registration: Henry Wai 416-913-8861  wai_renooy at sympatico.ca

Do we experience differences with others as a wall or a doorway in our
activism?  Whether we’re engaging with the public, persuading decision-
makers, strategizing with allies, or dialoging with opponents, it
really helps to have a way to connect – to reveal that which we have
in common. Clarify needs and choices and handle conflicts with a
simple yet transformative process which facilitates dialogue.

Help 'GREEN' the Future of Lawn and Garden Care

Monday, February 8, 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Etobicoke Civic Centre, Meeting Room 1, 399 The West Mall

Small two-stroke engines found in older lawn and garden equipment,
such as leaf and snow blowers, lawnmowers and trimmers, emit a high
level of pollutants into the air. Join us to address this challenge as
we investigate actions to reduce these emissions, including potential
regulatory measures.

To register, call 416-338-2848 or 416-397-0831 (TTY)

Volunteer Meeting for The ACTivist magazine

Calling all Kindred Spirits
Monday, February 8, 7:00pm - 9:30pm
238 Queen Street West (@John) (Enter at side door and go to the lower
level)
Doors will open at 7:00 pm. Come early in order to catch and enjoy the
musical contributions of SINVA (Studies in Non Violent Action).

Organizers with ACT for the Earth and The ACTivist magazine invite
members, supporters and all interested individuals to attend our first
volunteer outreach meeting in 2010.  What is your vision of the
future?  What kind of world do you want to live in and leave to your
children’s children?  What issues are you most passionate about and
want to share with others?

The ACTivist magazine (www.activistmagazine.com) is seeking regular
once-a-month contributors to our on-line journal, editors, researchers
to explore and write about key issues, and reviewers of relevant
books, CD’s and films.
ACT for the Earth is looking for volunteers to staff information
tables at community events, staff the peace centre, contact supporters
to encourage greater involvement, carry our banner at demonstrations
and rallies, organize cultural events (peace poetry nights, musical
performances and benefits), and artists (graphic artists, illustrators).
Speakers, discussion, more entertainment and FOOD - home-made soup,
bread, coffee, tea and juice will be available throughout the evening
in order to keep ourselves nourished.
For more info: Chris Davenport at editor at activistmagazine.com or
Stephen Dankowich at 905-849-5501
Thank you very much, activists!

Fundraiser for the Canadian-Cuban Friendship Association

Tuesday February 9, 8:00 PM-10:00 PM
Lula Lounge (585 Dundas Street West, west of Dufferin)

The Canadian-Cuban Friendship Association is raising money to send 90
wheelchairs to Havana hospitals and 96 computers to the University of
Havana.
Admission is $20 for adults, and $10 for seniors and students.  All
ages are welcome.  Additional monetary donations are eligible for a
tax receipt.
For more information, please e-mail havanarte at yahoo.com, visit www.ccfatoronto.ca
, or phone  647-403-7308 647-403-7308.

Federal Town Hall meeting

hosted by the Recession Relief Coalition

Tues. Feb. 9, noon - 3 p.m.
Church of the Holy Trinity (west side of the Eaton Centre between
Dundas and Queen)

The Conservative, Liberal, NDP, Green Parties of Canada and the Bloc
Quebecois Party have been invited to answer questions on actions they
will take to more effectively respond to the ongoing recession and the
harsh impact on many vulnerable people and communities. Also,
representatives from several community coalitions will respond to
positions taken by the parties and pose questions. In addition, the
Recession Relief Coalition will be releasing the responses to a Survey
we sent to the five federal parties, and will also release our 3rd
Bulletin on the Impacts of the Recession.

While Parliament is prorogued until March 3, it is vital that
individuals and community organizations come together to talk about
the experiences and needs in neighbourhoods and communities, and to
put forward the expectations we have of our Federal government and
political parties to meet these needs.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=322952492872

Toronto Food Policy Council will be holding its first-of-the-year
public meeting on
Wed. February 10, from 2:00 to 5:00 pm, in Committee Room #4, at
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West.

With big changes afoot in the world of food and education, the meeting
will explore school gardening, food literacy, the recently announced
ban on junk food in schools and, of course, any recent news concerning
the development of Toronto Public Health's Food Strategy.

Be sure to keep an eye on our facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/
group.php?gid=62659982365&ref=ts) for the latest information and full
details on speakers and presentations.

My Nuclear Neighbour

The Nature of Things with David Suzuki
Premieres Thursday, February 11, at 8 p.m. (8:30 NT), CBC Television
Repeating Thur. Feb. 18, 10 p.m., CBC News Network

Imagine that one morning you wake up to find out your nearest
neighbour may be a nuclear power plant. This is the story about two
women who travel from their farms in Peace River, Alberta to
Kincardine, Ontario searching for answers to questions that are
devastating their families and threatening their once harmonious
community.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2010/mynuclearneighbour/

  #voteTOin416

Thursday, February 11,  Doors:  6pm
Presentations and performances:  6:30pm-8:30pm
Location:  The Annex Live, 296 Brunswick Avenue (at Bloor), about mid-
way between Bathurst and Spadina stations
Tickets:  Here

In any given election, there are issues and ideas, policies and
possibilities, that tend to fall through the cracks: matters that
merit discussion and debate but which get shoved aside in favour of a
focus on the usual horse race. #voteTOin416 is a platform for such
ideas.

Speakers have four minutes and sixteen seconds to inject something new
and different into the discourse of the 2010 municipal election.
Individuals, groups, and organizations will pitch their alternative
vision for a better Toronto in an Ignite-style event.  Presentations
will be interspersed with performances by local artists of all
varieties, creating an informal space in which to become engaged with
our city and with each other.
The event is free, though since we’re just an ad hoc bunch of Twitter
folks, we’ll be welcoming donations at the door to help us recover
some of the costs.Please RSVP if you plan on attending.

Book Launch!

The Revolutionary Traveller, with author John S. Saul

Thursday February 11, 7:00pm
Type Books, 883 Queen St. West

John S. Saul draws on a series of his own occasional articles written
over a span of forty years which, together with a linking narrative,
serve to trace not only his own career as an anti-apartheid and
liberation support movement activist in both Canada and southern
Africa but also help recount the history of the various struggles in
both venues in which he has been directly involved.

Toronto Women's Bookstore & ~Night at the Indies~ present:

Come Out, Come Out Wherever you Are!

Thursday, Feb 11th @ 7:00pm
Meow Films Office, 868 Dovercourt Road
$10/pay what you can

Showcasing: The Baby Formula & Spoken Word by Amai Kuda

Amai Kuda is a singer/songwriter, community activist and the mother of
a young child. The name Amai Kuda means "mother to the will of the
creator" in the southern African language Shona. Through parenthood,
community work and art, Amai is a vehicle for creation and for change.
She co-founded and coordinates two organizations, Moyo Wa Africa and
Seven Directions, dedicated to the decolonization of African peoples
and to indigenous solidarity respectively.

The Baby Formula:  Two adventurous women in love are desperate to have
their own biological child. They take a chance on an experimental
scientific process and make sperm from their own stem cells. Pregnant
with humour and unexpected twists, their journey tailspins out of
control when their families discover there is no father.
2009 - ALISON REID (Director/Producer), RICHARD BEATTIE (Writer),
ANGELA VINT (Athena), MEGAN FAHLENBOCK (Lilith), and more...

We are proud to present a collaborative series of short and full
length films every 2nd Thursday of the month at the Meow Films office
- 868 Dovercourt Road - 2 blocks North of Bloor. Please join us to
celebrate this series.

Reel Activism films-with-speakers events will present the NFB’s
portrayal of the impact of residential schools on survivors:

Niigaanibatowaad - FrontRunners

Friday, February 12 at 7 p.m.
Bloor Street United Church’s (upstairs) Chapel
300 Bloor St. W., 2 blocks E. of Spadina at Huron St

Donations  for church expenses will be gratefully accepted
Presented by the Social Justice Committee of Bloor Street United
For more information, call: 416 966 2815

STOP THE SEAL HUNT!!! - SEAL PROTEST
2010 Olympic SHAME!!!!

Friday, February 12 at 11:30am.
Yonge & Dundas (Toronto)

To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/n/?event.php&eid=221729037030&mid=1cf1072G1ee15286G3d9ee7bG7

Solidarity with the Haitian People: A film series on Haiti’s fight for
self-determination
Rezistans (1997). Directed by Katharine Kean

Fri. February 12, 7 p.m.

OISE,  252 Bloor Street West (next to the St. George subway station),
Room 2-211 (2nd floor)

This award-winning film chronicles the political events and human
tragedy surrounding the 1991 military coupe d’état and the bloody
dictatorship that followed. It presents a seering indictment not only
of the U.S. central intelligence agency’s role in the turmoil, but
also that of the powerful and reclusive Haitian bourgeoisie.

Speaker: Claire-Hélene Heese-Boutin, Toronto Haiti Action Committee
and University of Toronto

Sponsors: CUPE Local 3902, Toronto Haiti Action Committe, CUPE Local
3907, International Solidarity Committee and Racial Justice Committee
(CUPE Ontario), A Different Booklist, Association of Part-time
Undergraduate Students (APUS)

CONTACT: cupe3907 at gmail or call at (416) 978-2403

Rye Cinema presents the acclaimed feature documentary film:

UNDER RICH EARTH

Saturday, February 13th, 6:30 p.m.
The Bloor Cinema, 506 Bloor Street (at Bathurst)
Tickets: $10

* Winner: Global Conscience Award - Mexico City Documentary Film
Festival
* Top Ten Most Popular Canadian Films: Vancouver International Film
Festival
* Nominated for Best Documentary - Hamburg International Independent
Film Festival
* Nominated for Coral Award - Best Documentary - Havana Film Festival
* Official Selection: Toronto International Film Festival, Vancouver
International Film Festival, Victoria Film Festival, Sudbury
International Film Festival, Watch Docs Warsaw, Sao Paulo
International Film Festival, Encuentros del Otro Cine - Quito, Boulder
International Film Festival and many more...

SYNOPSIS
In a remote mountain valley in Ecuador, coffee and sugarcane farmers
face the dismal prospect of being forced off their land to make way
for a mining project. Unprotected by the police and ignored by their
government, they prepare to face down the 'invaders' on their own.
Their resistance leads to a remarkable and dangerous stand off between
farmers and a band of mysterious armed men high in the cloud forest.
In a world dominated by news of massacres and terrorism, Under Rich
Earth is a surprising and poignant tale of hope and determination.

Event Sponsors: Nathanson Centre for Transnational Human Rights Crime
and Security, Osgoode Hall Law School; Charles Street Video

No More Silence
5th Annual Rally for Our Missing Sisters

Sunday, February 14 @ 12 pm
Rally at Police HQ, 40 College St. at Bay
We'll march to the Coroner’s Office, 26 Grenville St
Gathering with food immediately to follow at U of T’s Centre for Women
and Trans People (563 Spadina Ave)

Over 500 Indigenous women have been murdered or gone missing – most
over the last 30 years – on Turtle Island. We come together in defense
of our lives and to demonstrate against the complicity of the state in
the ongoing genocide of Indigenous women and the impunity of state
institutions and actors (police, RCMP, coroners’ offices and the
courts) that prevents justice for all Indigenous Peoples.

Endorsed by: YU Free Press (York University); Centre for Women and
Trans People (UofT); Canadian Chiapanecas Justice for Women; For
Women’s Autonomy, Rights and Dignity (FORWARD); No One Is Illegal-
Toronto; CAW-Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice and Democracy (Ryerson
U); Supporting Aboriginal Graduate Enhancement (SAGE, UofT); Women and
Gender Studies Institute (UofT); Students Against Israeli Apartheid
(UofT)

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in