No Nukes News: That Nuclear Plant Has Its Hand On Your Wallet

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Feb 26 15:29:06 EST 2010

No Nukes News

Feb. 26, 2010

Slow economy leaves Ontario ample power

System regulator says unprecedented array of electricity options offers
nuclear wiggle room

Stevens said new generation will likely be needed after 2018, but there's no
reason it needs to be nuclear. "We could build a new nuclear plant, or we
could build more wind and gas plants," he said.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/770407--slow-economy-leaves-ontario-
ample-power

10 ideas that could save the planet

#1. SHUT DOWN COAL-FIRED PLANTS

We're already producing 23 per cent more electricity than peak demand
forecast for this summer. And 27 per cent more power than peak demand
forecast for the summer of 2014, according to a report released this week by
the Ontario Clean Air Alliance. You've read this right. We have energy to
burn, minus the coal currently choking our lungs. A coal shutdown can be
accomplished without brownouts or spending millions on dangerous nukes, but
we do have to commit to stop selling our surplus power to the U.S. when the
economy picks up. Cancelling coal isn't far-fetched. All it'll take is a
champion in the Liberal cabinet.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=173819

Excuse Me, But That Nuclear Plant Has Its Hand On Your Wallet

What's the worst thing that could happen? Plane crash, deliberate or
accidental? Earthquake? Design flaw? Construction flaw? Operator error?
What's the potential damage in dollars? How about $600 billion, according to
the Sandia National Laboratory.

 <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/gsindell/detail?entry_id=57400>
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/gsindell/detail?entry_id=57400

Note: In Canada we have the Nuclear Liability Act which insures the nuclear
industry against accidents up to a max. of $75 million. What a deal! No
other industry is able to operate without insurance. For more on this see:
http://www.ccnr.org/insurance.html  -a

Vermont Senate Votes to Close Nuclear Plant

In an unusual state foray into nuclear regulation, the Vermont Senate voted
26 to 4 Wednesday to block operation of the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant
after 2012, citing radioactive leaks, misstatements in testimony by plant
officials and other problems. Unless the chamber reverses itself, it will be
the first time in more than 20 years that the public or its representatives
has decided to close a reactor.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/us/25nuke.html?scp=1&sq=Vermont%20Senate%
20Votes%20to%20Close%20Nuclear%20Plant%20in%202012&st=cse>
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/us/25nuke.html?scp=1&sq=Vermont%20Senate%2
0Votes%20to%20Close%20Nuclear%20Plant%20in%202012&st=cse

.

.

.

.

Look out for the nuclear bomb coming with your electric bill

Higher electric rates will appear, not when plants begin operating, but
years, if not decades, before they come on line.

http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/look-out-for-the-nuclear-bomb-com
ing-with-your-electric-bill/

Major Fallout Predicted Over Obama's Nuclear Power Proposal

"When Wall Street won't invest in something, that should tell you how bad it
is." "[Nuclear energy] is the most socialized energy in the world and would
not exist except for public money."

http://www.truthout.org/major-fallout-predicted-over-obamas-nuclear-power-pr
oposal57088

Nuclear power is too risky

If our nation wants to reduce global warming, air pollution and energy
instability, we should invest only in the best energy options. Nuclear
energy isn't one of them.

Every dollar spent on nuclear is one less dollar spent on clean renewable
energy and one more dollar spent on making the world a comparatively dirtier
and a more dangerous place, because nuclear power and nuclear weapons go
hand in hand.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/02/22/jacobson.nuclear.power.con/

Tritium Awareness Project

TAP aims to raise awareness about tritium, demystify the nature of this
dangerous material for public and politicians alike, tighten standards and
reduce emissions and exposures of Canadians to tritium. Tritium is a serious
hazard  in Canada, requiring urgent action by the public and legislators
alike. On this website you will find scientific documents, media reports,
personal stories and fact sheets.

http://www.tapcanada.org/

Chernobyl Legacy

Photo Essay on Chernobyl by Paul Fusco

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essay/chernobyl

Corporate Media Are Using Industry Talking Points to Lie to Us About Nuclear
Power

The media should reject the use of industry rhetoric, stop using Nukespeak
talking points, and start telling us the truth about nuclear power!

http://www.alternet.org/media/145792/corporate_media_are_using_industry_talk
ing_points_to_lie_to_us_about_nuclear_power

Nuclear Files

The Nuclear Age Peace Foundation initiates and supports worldwide efforts to
abolish nuclear weapons, to strengthen international law and institutions,
and to inspire and empower a new generation of peace leaders.

http://www.nuclearfiles.org/

Top 6 nuclear energy myths exposed

http://www.mnn.com/technology/research-innovations/blogs/top-6-nuclear-energ
y-myths-exposed

Seeing the wind

Wind power has never been this big in Canada. And the Great Lakes are a
superb site, getting the maximum wind exposure without building towers in
people's backyards.

The launch of a wave of new wind farms in Ontario will create long-term
opportunities for manufacturers to supply them -- and replace some of the
jobs that the auto industry can no longer provide. There was a time when the
Seaway carried iron ore and car parts. As demand for that traditional cargo
falls, perhaps the same waters could supply jobs from energy.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/Seeing+wind/2600263/story.html

Tritium In the River

 to the tune of "Take me to the River"

---

Tritium in the River, toxins in the water.
Tritium in the River, toxins in the water, water.

I don't know why this nuke is online
All the trouble that it puts us through.

Takes our money, gives us cancer.
We haven't seen the worst of it yet.

I want it closed, can you hear me?

Shut it down today?

Tritium in the River, toxins in the water
Tritium in the River, toxins in the water, water...

THE POWER OF COMMUNITY: How Cuba Survived Peak Oil

Free film screening and discussion

A film on how Cuba responded to the challenges of peak oil in the 90's
followed by a discussion on creating a more local, low-energy society and
addressing the challenges of climate change in our own neighbourhood.

Tuesday, March 2nd at 6:30 pm

Annette Street Branch Library, 145 Annette St. (E of Pacific, W of Keele),
Community Room 1, Toronto

Organized by Green 13, Hosted by Annette Branch Library

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a
tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half and food by 80 percent
people were desperate. This film tells of the hardships and struggles as
well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people during this
difficult time. Cubans share how they transitioned from a highly mechanized,
industrial agricultural system to one using organic methods of farming and
local, urban gardens. It is an unusual look into the Cuban culture during
this economic crisis, which they call "The Special Period." The film opens
with a short history of Peak Oil, a term for the time in our history when
world oil production will reach its all-time peak and begin to decline
forever. Cuba, the only country that has faced such a crisis the massive
reduction of fossil fuels is an example of options and hope.

Global Governance and the Future of Nuclear Energy

Wed. Mar, 3, 2 p.m.

At the Monk Centre, University of Toronto

Speaker: Louise Frachette, Distinguished Fellow, Centre for International
Governance Innovation

For more info and to register:
<http://webapp.mcis.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?eventid=8744>
http://webapp.mcis.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?eventid=8744