TO. Greenspiration Events: Tooker memorial and more

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 28 17:30:40 EST 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Friends, Please join me on Wed. night (see details below) as we honor
Tooker's life and death...
- angela

InVoice
- a town hall meeting

Mon. March 1, 6:30-9:30pm
TO. City Hall, Committee Room 2

Network with civic leaders and help set budget priorities for the
arts, community and youth sector in Toronto.
Join the facebook page for updates, more details and info on special
guests.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=349902759936

Beautifulcity.ca Alliance

Resistance Across Borders
Public Forum With Colonel Ann Wright

Tuesday, March 2, 7:00pm - 8:30pm
International Student Centre, Cumberland House, Cumberland Rm #102, 33
St. George Street, University of Toronto

> After quitting the US Army over the war in Iraq in 2003 Colonel Ann
> Wright was subsequently banned from entering Canada. She will
> attempt to enter Canada again, to speak against the wars in Iraq and
> Afghanistan. Should Ann be refused entry into Canada, we will
> provide a live video link to her. Other speakers include members of
> Toronto’s Iraq War Resisters and Stuart Trew from the Council of
> Canadians.

> Join us at this event to better understand Canada’s wars and the
> implications for security and border policies.
>
> The event is co-sponsored by the Council of Canadians, CODEPINK,
> Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) and Science for Peace. For
> more info contact: torontocodepink at yahoo.ca, 416.960.1897

How Cuba Survived Peak Oil

- Free film screening and discussion

A film on how Cuba responded to the challenges of peak oil in the
90's. This will be followed by a discussion on creating a more local,
low-energy society and how we address the challenges of climate change
in our own neighbourhood.

Tuesday, March 2nd at 6:30 pm
Annette Street Branch Library, Community Room 1
145 Annette St. (E of Pacific, W of Keele)

Organized by Green 13, Hosted by Annette Branch Library.

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990, Cuba's economy went into a
tailspin. With imports of oil cut by more than half and food by 80
percent people were desperate. This film tells of the hardships and
struggles as well as the community and creativity of the Cuban people
during this difficult time. Cubans share how they transitioned from a
highly mechanized, industrial agricultural system to one using organic
methods of farming and local, urban gardens. It is an unusual look
into the Cuban culture during this economic crisis, which they call
"The Special Period." The film opens with a short history of Peak Oil,
a term for the time in our history when world oil production will
reach its all-time peak and begin to decline forever. Cuba, the only
country that has faced such a crisis the massive reduction of fossil
fuels is an example of options and hope.

Faith(less) - What Leads People to Embrace or Reject Faith?

Tues. March 2, 6:00 pm

Debates Room, Hart House, 4 Hart House Circle.

Hot Talk discussion with Prof. Mark Kingwell, Depart of Philosophy;
Rabbi Aaron Katchen, Hillel; Rodd Rudd, Campus for Christ; and Ghan
Chee, True Peace Sangha at U of T

Mar. 3 is the 6th anniversary of Tooker Gomberg's passing.
To honor his life and his death, please join us in ritual, discussion
and a film screening of:

Generation Rx
a film by Kevin P. Miller
With special Guest Speaker: David Carmichael, founder of founder of
Health Promotion Party of Canada http://www.healthpromotionparty.ca/

Wed. Mar. 3, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (Bloor and St. George)
Special Guest Speaker: David Carmichael, founder of founder of Health
Promotion Party of Canada http://www.healthpromotionparty.ca/
Free

For decades, scores of doctors, government officials, journalists, and
others have extolled the benefits of psychiatric medicines for
children. GENERATION RX presents "the rest of the story" and unveils
how this era of unprecedented change in Western culture really
occurred - and what price has been paid by our society.

International award-winning filmmaker Kevin P. Miller (Let Truth Be
The Bias, The Promised Land) "delivers a jaw-dropping emotional ride,"
and "weaves a terrifying tale of criminal conspiracy, the mass
abandonment of medical ethics, and the routine betrayal of an entire
generation." By employing the expertise of internationally respected
professionals from the fields of medicine, ethics, journalism, and
academia, GENERATION RX investigates collusion between drug companies
and their regulatory watchdogs at the FDA and focuses on the powerful
stories of real families who followed the advice of their doctors -
and faced devastating consequences for doing so.

For more info: greenspi at web.ca,  http://www.greenspiration.org
To watch the film trailer:  http://GenerationRXFilm.com/

ALL OUT! RBC Stop Funding the Tar Sands!

Join us for a morning of creative, non-violent direct action
culminating in a rally outside the Metro Center at 1 pm to show
solidarity with First Nations representatives.

When: Wed. Mar. 3, morning actions, rally @ 2pm
Where: Metro Center, Toronto

On March 3rd, the Royal Bank of Canada will hold its annual general
meeting of shareholders’ at the Toronto Metro Convention Center. It’s
the one time every year that the bank’s top executives, board and
other decision makers gather in the same place to hear from
shareholders. This year, we want them to hear from you!

Since 2007 RBC has backed more than $16.9 billion (USD) in loans to
companies operating in the tar sands—more than any other bank.
Expansion of the tar sands is trampling the rights of Indigenous
peoples, destroying globally significant ecosystems and significantly
increasing Canada’s carbon emissions.

Representatives from several First Nations impacted by tar sands
expansion will attend the meeting to demand that RBC recognize the
right to Free, Prior and Informed Consent for Indigenous communities
and suspend its financial support for tar sands expansion.

Take Action in your area - If you are interested in organizing an
action before or at RBC’s AGM, please contact Eriel Derangereriel at ran.org
  or Dave Vasey dvasey at ran.org   If You can't attend on March 3rd
please consider doing a solidarity action in your community!

Here is the Facebook event page:  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=301815070834&ref=ts

Global Governance and the Future of Nuclear Energy

Speaker: Louise Frechette, Distinguished Fellow, the Centre for
International Governance Innovation

Wed. Mar. 3, 2 p.m.
at the Vivian and David Campbell Conf. Facility, U of T, Devonshire
Place

For  more info and to register: http://webapp.mcis.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?eventid=8744

The NFB Mediatheque and The Canadian Institute for Environmental Law
and Policy present:

FINDING FARLEY
Wednesday, March 3 at 7 PM
NFB Cinema, 150 John St, Toronto

FREE ADMISSION
Winner, Grand Prize - Winner, People's Choice Prize, Banff Mountain
Film Festival, 2009
Directed by Leanne Allison. 2009, 63 minutes.

When Karsten Heuer and Leanne Allison (Being Caribou), along with
their 2-year old son, Zev, and indomitable dog Willow set out to trace
the footsteps of one of Canada's most famous writers, Farley Mowat,
they mean it literally. Their 5000-kilometre trip – trekking, sailing,
portaging and paddling from the prairies to the Maritimes – is
captured in this feature-length documentary.

When the family reaches their final destination, Mowat's Nova Scotian
summer home, it is, as Karsten says, “An affirmation of what the land
and animals had already told us… Stories aren't so much written or
created as they are released, expressing what's been there all along.”

View the trailer at the film's official wesbite.

Join us after the screening for a panel discussion.

Also don't miss FREE family-friendly matinee screenings of Finding
Farleyduring March Break! Screens at 12:30 pm daily, March 15 through
March 18.

NFB MEDIATHEQUE | 150 John St., Toronto | 416.973.3012 | NFB.ca/
mediatheque

The 2010 People’s Summit: Building a Movement for A Just World
MEETING ON CREATING A G8-G20 MEDIA CENTRE

Thur. Mar. 4th - 7 PM
291 Ossington ave., Unit 6 (3rd floor) (on Ossington one block North
of Dundas)

The Toronto Media Co-op is inviting our media allies to a meeting to
discuss setting up a Media Centre in Toronto to cover the G8, G20 and
all the surrounding protests, events, and their impacts on communities.

At the meeting we will discuss the following topics:
•             Should we have a media center for the G8/G20?
•             If so what should it look like?
•             Is there is enough capacity to pull it off?
•             What work needs to be done?

If you have any questions email timymit at gmail.com

International Women's Day Cultural Evening

The Struggles of Women Here & Aboard - Migrant Women in Solidarity
Against Imperalism

The Migrant Women Coordinating Body for IWD is organizing this event
and we are inviting artists, graphic designers, performance artists,
dancers, singers, poets, spoken word performers and writers to take
part in this important evening of celebration and resistance.

Friday March 5, 7 to 11 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street (Spadina & College)

Since 2007, we, the member organizations of Migrante, Gabriela-
Ontario, Justicia for Migrant Workers, Canadian HART, BASICS,
Thorncliffe Neighborhood Office along with other migrant worker
organizations, women of colour and allies, have gathered as the
Migrant Women’s Coordinating Body for IWD to celebrate the
International Women’s Day together.

Our objective is to build a more visible anti-imperialist migrant
women’s contingent at this year’s International Women’s Day events. It
is very important for us to increase our visibility as migrant women
as we bring forward our own issues and struggles as well as join in
the struggle of Canadian women. Like our Canadian sisters, our issues
as migrant women include violence and abuse, right to status, war and
occupation and systemic repression. As migrant women, we are faced in
particular with racism, insecurity in our work and precarious
temporary status in Canada.

If you would like more information or to get involved with MWCB,
please contact Cynthia Palmaria 647-204-5908

International Women’s Day

Saturday March 6th
Rally 11am, March 1pm @ OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor Street, West, (St.
George Subway Station)
Fair 1:30pm @ Ryerson, 55 Gould Street

Fighting for us ALL!
Defend Public Services!
Demand Good Jobs, Good Pensions!
End Violence & Exploitation!
... And Still We March!

For info:  www.iwdtoronto.org / For tables:  equity at rsuonline.ca
Rally and march organized by Women Working With Immigrant Women & the
IWD Organizing Ctte.
Fair organized by Ryerson Students' Union & Ryerson Women's Cte.
Funded by CAW, CUPW & the Steelworkers

Wheelchair accessible/Sign Language Interpretation provided

Go to www.iwdtoronto.org to download posters.

Please join us at the Toronto Black History month celebrations
screening of the feature length documentary film:

City of Dreams

Sat. March 6, 2010 @ 7pm
NFB/ONF Mediathèque, 150 John St, Toronto, ON M5V 3C3

Advance tickets are available at A Different Booklist from Jan. 20th -
March 3rd, 746 Bathurst Street, Tel: (416) 538-0889

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line via facebook or
contact me at fistfulloffirepictures at hotmail.com.

SCARBOROUGH SEEDY SATURDAY

Saturday, March 6 – 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The East Scarborough Storefront, 4040 Lawrence Avenue East (½ km west
of Kingston Rd. and Lawrence)

The first ever Seedy Saturday in Scarborough!
Heirloom seeds for sale and trade, gardening workshops, prizes and
kids’ activities

For info contact: Katie Fullerton – k_fullerton at sympatico.ca or
416-691-5173
www.tcgn.ca

GREENING OUR FAITH COMMUNITIES

Annual Leaders Forum by Green Awakening Network & Greening Sacred Spaces

Sunday, March 7,  12:45 - 7pm
Eastminster United Church, 310 Danforth Avenue

Morning worship led by Mardi Tindal, Moderator of the United Church of
Canada. Worship followed by workshops, and interfaith panel moderated
by environmental journalist Alanna Mitchell.

Registration is $30 including Dinner.
Register at greenawakening at tucc.ca or 905-771-5124 ext.29.
More details at http://www.tucc.ca/churchdevelopment/green-events.html

Enviros wanted Mar. 4th or 11th

I'm a new Rotman Commerce professor, and I do research on social and
environmental responsibility, ethics, leading social change and
activism. I have contacted you through student groups at U of T or
through a network of environmentalists in Toronto, and I am hoping
might want to help me conduct my important research.

We will be starting to run our study next week, which will basically
consist of people who are also interested in these issues coming into
a computer lab at Rotman South (at 149 College Street) and answering
survey questions on the computer about their opinions and experiences
as leaders/activists in social/environmental issues. It will take
about a half hour to forty five minutes, and we will be sharing exact
results of the study with everyone who participates via email as soon
as we have finished the surveys.

Everyone who comes to the study will be paid $15 in cash for their
time, plus we will provide free pizza and beverage of choice for
refreshments. Vegan/veg options available of course.

I am asking that people will help me by signing up for a time slot
ahead of time so we can order pizza and be prepared. Please do so below.

I am happy to answer any questions that you or your members have about
my research or this study if they send me an email at katy.decelles at rotman.utoronto.ca

Thank you again for your help and interest and we will see you soon!
Please sign up for the study here:

http://survey.qualtrics.com/SE?SID=SV_4OzOQAIIgDrefFG&SVID=Prod

Katherine DeCelles, Assistant Professor

Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management, Rotman School
of Management, University of Toronto

Phone (416) 978-0583  Email kdecelles at rotman.utoronto.ca

2 Bedrooms (of 3) available NOW in a large loft space (1500 sq. ft) at
Dupont/Ossington with a community-oriented enviro.
See details here: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/roo/1611084877.html

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in