TO. Greenspiration Events: Power of Activism

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Sun Mar 14 17:58:00 EDT 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Call 311 for all your safe cycling road needs!

Potholes, crack, faded bike lanes, blocked bike lanes, dips, recessed
manholes, misaligned sewer grates, gravel, sand, broken glass, debris,
crevices, slippery steel plates, trenches, bumps, missing bike signs,
uneven pavement, snow removal.

Take part in our Good Roads Campaign by reporting any road surface
hazard that you encounter while riding. The goal of this campaign is
to help ensure a more rapid response to reported road repairs that are
essential to keeping cyclists safe on their daily trips throughout the
city. Call 311 - it actually works!

http://bikeunion.to/campaigns#good-roads

Breaking the Silence Tour

Blood COLTAN and many other minerals help fuel the war on women &
children. We will have a real discussion about the truth behind the
war in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Mon. March 15th, Lecture: 8:00PM @ the University of Toronto Hart
House, South Dining Room
SPEAKER: Kambale Musavuli, Student Coordinator, Friends of the Congo

Tues. March 16th, 2010 Movie Night
6:30PM Hart House’s Chapel.
Followed by a talk by Congolese activists: UofT PhD Candidate Bodia
Macharia, Kambale Musavuli, and Benjamin Nzanza
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=316148406886

GREEN SCENES

Daily animation workshops and a week-long camp by the National Film
Board (NFB) MEDIATHEQUE

March 15 through March 21
Green Scenes is a series of hands-on animation workshops for children
aged 6 to 14 years old and their parents. Workshops are offered twice
a day, at 10 AM and 2 PM. Sign up today for only $5 per child. Parents
can join the fun at no extra cost.
Call 416-973-3012 to reserve a spot today!

Monday, March 15 - Take out the Trash!
Getting rid of garbage used to be easy! Help get the recycling and
organics to their proper collection bins. (3D clay)

Tuesday, March 16 - Aquatic Adventure
What will you find under the waves… is it something that belongs in
the water? (pixillation)

Wednesday, March 17 - One, Two, Three… Grow!
There’s no need to wait… these trees will rise before your eyes!
(painting on glass)

Thursday, March 18 - Car Free and Carefree!
Taking public transport is good for the environment. Animate your
subway adventure! (3D clay)

Friday, March 19 - Gone Fishing
Reel in some fishy friends, or maybe some bizarre deep sea creatures!
(paper cut-out)

Saturday, March 20 Lettuce Animate!
Grow your own food in our animated garden. (3D clay)

SUNDAY, MARCH 21- Race Against Time
Help the polar bears find their way to safety before their ice floe
melts! (3D clay)

Looking for a more in-depth animation experience? Sign up for our WEEK-
LONG GREEN SCENES CAMP for children aged 8 to 14. From Monday to
Friday (9 AM to 4:30 PM), participants will work in teams to create
their own original animated film. Your film will premiere on the BIG
SCREEN on Friday afternoon at the NFB Cinema! (Limited enrolment. $275
per child. Pre- and post-care available at an additional cost. Call
416-973-7114 or e-mailm.matthews at nfb.ca for details.)

NFB MEDIATHEQUE | 150 John St., Toronto | 416-973-3012 | NFB.ca/
mediatheque

Religion and Peacebuilding: A Multi-Faith Perspective

Tues. Mar. 16, 6:30 p.m.
Multi-Faith Centre, 569 Spadina Avenue (just north of College)

A panel of accomplished peacebuilders and agents of change associated
with different faith groups will discuss the relationship between
religion and the promotion of peace in areas of conflict around the
world. Sponsored by the Mosaic Chapter at U of T

POWER OF ACTIVISM

A Public Forum on Effective Social Change. Learn from successful
social movements!

Thur. Mar. 18, 7:30 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George and Bloor)
Free.

Speakers include:
Angela Bischoff of Greenspiration, Campaign against Coal and Nukes
Lyn Adamson of PeaceWorks
Maggie Robertson on Dumpsite 41

For more info: peaceworks at primus.ca

Get on the Mic! Public Speaking 101
with Sarah Vance

Thursday, March 18th, 6:30-9pm (dinner will be served)
at The Centre for Women and Trans People
563 Spadina Cres (south of Harbord)

Public speaking can be intimidating and hard, especially when you’re
talking about radical social change and inspiring people to action.
Come learn some tips that will help you build your confidence and get
you on that mic or megaphone!

*RSVPl to opirg.toronto at gmail.com.

Part of the OPIRG-Toronto TOOLS for CHANGE Workshop Series. TOOLS for
CHANGE is a series of skills-sharing and skills-building workshops
designed to help you gain the tools for doing research, education, and
action for social justice. This series is organized by the Ontario
Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG-Toronto), active at the
University of Toronto and in downtown Toronto since 1982.

The Friendly Spike Theatre Band is delighted to announce up and coming
theatre activity:

Play Development Program

On Friday nights, 6:30pm to 9:30pm
Starting Friday March 19th until Sept.
At May Robinson Recreation Room, 20 West Lodge Avenue (one block east
of Lansdowne  one block north of Queen)
Free.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME!

*wheel chair accessible!
*text captioning!
*live description!

For more info call 416 516 474, friendlyspike at primus.ca

DISMANTLING THE SWEATSHOP CITY

Fri. March 19, 7:00pm
72 Lib, Ryerson University, 350 Victoria Street

A powerhouse panel discussion featuring activists who have struggled
to break down barriers to justice and self-determination of all
people. Focused on the ideas and ways that will break down the banks,
the corporations, and the policies that are forcing many to live in
indignity, the panel will forefront those that have dug at the roots
of injustice and planted seeds of change in the very foundations of
the system.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=344069350167

Iraq War Resisters in Canada: WHY THIS FIGHT MATTERS

Fundraising dinner and campaign update

Fri. March 19th
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto
6:30 pm Dinner, 7:30 pm Programme

With lawyer Alyssa Manning and Iraq war resisters Robin Long (by
skype) and Phil McDowell
$20 suggested donation • raffle prizes • refreshments

SANCTUARY CITY

Sat. March 20, 7:00pm
Cecil Street Community Centre, 58 Cecil Street

Come join us for food, talks and inspiring performances to celebrate
the struggle to transform the city from a sweatshop to a sanctuary.
Through organizing in communities, in schools and in shelters, in
foodbanks and in health centres and at work places, we are creating
the city we want to live in. Grassroots organisers and artists from
across the city will share their vision of this city, one based on
justice and solidarity.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=342085707711

Food/Politics Conference:

Free Food! Interrogating Perception, Choice and Progress in the
Liberation of our Food Supply

Sat. March 20th  - 9:30 am to 5pm, 429 Brunswick, Toronto

Presented by the Toad Lane Vegan Cooperative house, this conference is
all about asking - what is “Free” in our food? How is it subsidized,
and how does that affect what kind of food choices are readily
available to us? And to what extent is our food “unfree” – how much
domination of animals and workers occurs such that it becomes “easy”
to eat certain diets and difficult to stick to others?  Where is
choice left when we are so separated from the realities of production?
What does it matter what I eat? How can my choices have broader social
implications, how can they be steps on the way to attaining ideals
which are not yet universalized? And what is progress – social,
technological – and what about moral progress?

If you are interested in doing a presentation - we are still accepting
submissions up till February 1st. Please send us an abstract of what
you''d like to do (it doesn''t need to be complete yet). You can give
a slide presentation, facilitate a discussion, or giving a cooking
demonstration (we have cooking facilities in the conference area). In
other words, you can do just about anything that takes 20-30 minutes!

Check out our website at http://freefoodconference.wordpress.com/ for
updates!
Or find our event on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=154500244228&ref=ts

Council of Canadians Toronto Chapter presents:

Water Forum 2010

Saturday, March 20, Doors open at 9:30am, Finishes at 5:30pm

Metro Hall, 55 John Street, Room 308/309

Free!  Everyone is welcome. We’d appreciate if you could RSVP to torontochapter at gmail.com
.

Speakers Include:

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, Hamilton Bay Area
Restoration Council, Centre for the Environment, Wellington Water
Watchers, Oak Ridges Moraine Foundation, Hamilton Conserver Society,
Citizens for a Safe Environment, STORM Coalition, Polaris Foundation,
Great Lakes United

The meeting will start at 10am.  We recommend you bring your own lunch
– we will have a short break for lunch.
The closest TTC stop is St. Andrew, and you can take the King
Streetcar west to John Street, or it would be a 10-minute walk.

Join us in active citizenry.  Get involved and make a difference.
E-Mail:  torontochapter at gmail.com

Blog:  http://councilofcanadianstoronto.blogspot.com

Facebook Page:  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=155194435464

National Website:  www.canadians.org

MOVIES OF UNCOMMON KNOWLEDGE
muckfilmfestival.com
Sunday March 21st, at The Royal - 608 College Street

3:00 pm Iraq For Sale

5:00 pm A Call to Arms
- Followed by a Q&A with Director Scott Miller

7:30 pm Rethink Afghanistan
-Followed by a Q&A panel hosted by iChannel’s Kevin O’Keefe

Tickets $10 per screening / or purchase a $20 Three film special day
pass.
Join us and be part of the M.U.C.K. experience at The Royal on the
third Sunday of every month.

On the 7th anniversary of the US invasion of Iraq:
VETERAN RESISTERS SPEAK OUT AGAINST WAR

SUNDAY MARCH 21st, 4 pm
Friends Meeting House, 60 Lowther Avenue (north of Bloor at Bedford –
St. George subway)

• Live from LA: RON KOVIC, Vietnam veteran and author of Born on the
Fourth of July
• Live from Vancouver: RODNEY WATSON, US Iraq war resister in sanctuary
• Live in Toronto: JEREMY HINZMAN, first US Iraq war resister to seek
asylum in Canada

Followed by Q&A. Admission by donation, PWYC

Organized by the War Resisters Support Campaign • www.resisters.ca •
416.598.1222
For more updates on the campaign for Bill C-440 (war resisters bill)
visit letthemstay.ca

ACTIVISM IN ACTION!
Practical skills for effective social change

Develop effective strategies for effective social change in a series
of six evening workshops:
Self Care
Human Rights framework
Using the Media
Gaining support for your cause
Speaking and Writing
Using technology

DATES OF WORKSHOPS: Thursdays 6:30 - 9:30 pm, March 25 – April 29

LOCATION: Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave., 2 bl n. of Bloor St. at
Bedford Ave., Just north of St. George TTC, (Bedford exit)

COORDINATOR: Lyn Adamson is an experienced trainer in conflict
resolution with St. Stephen’s Conflict Resolution Service., and is a
trainer with Nonviolent Peaceforce Canada. A Quaker and mother of two,
Lyn is a member of the boards of : Greenspiration,  Canadian Voice of
Women for Peace, the Canadian Department of Peace Initiative and
Nonviolent Peaceforce Canada.

COST: $150  (inquire if cost is a barrier)

TO REGISTER: Send a $25 deposit to save your spot. Make cheque payable
to “Toronto Monthly Meeting” (memo: peaceworks) 60 Lowther Ave.
Toronto M5R 1C7

Limit of 15 participants
For more info:  416-731-6605 or 416-596-7328, peaceworks at primus.ca

The TLC will be hosting its Summer Institute again this year, and we
are pleased to announce Brian Milani's course on:

The Green Economy: Practical Strategies to Create Community-based Eco-
Economies

The Green Economy is Toronto's premier and oldest-running course on
green economic development.  It provides an overview of radical
potentials for reorganizing the economy for social and ecological
purposes, while at the same time showcasing exciting alternatives
being built right now in the local economy.

The course is coordinated by instructor Brian Milani, and includes an
expert guest speaker each week, describing cutting-edge alternatives
in their sector. Key sectors will include the food system, energy,
manufacturing and more. This year's underlying theme is green work.
Full details of the course, which is open to all, can be found
atwww.greeneconomics.net/cour2010.htm. The course will run from April
8-June 10, 2010, every Thursday, 6-9pm, at OISE/UT, Room 8-214.

Instructor Bio: Brian Milani teaches green economics and green
business courses at OISE-UT and York's Faculty of Environmental
Studies, and is the author of Designing the Green Economy: The
postindustrial alternative to corporate globalization.  His website is
at www.GreenEconomics.net.

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in