No Nukes News: solar could replace nukes

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Apr 23 18:26:26 EDT 2010

No Nukes News

April 23, 2010

"Peaceful Nuclear Power" - it's an oxymoron. Harmonious relationships
between people and nations cannot survive in a nuclear power society, with
its atmosphere of secrecy, surveillance , suspicion, fear, and ever-present
real danger. - Christina MacPherson, Antinuclear.net

Solar Power In Ontario Could Produce Almost As Much Power As All U.S.
Nuclear Reactors, Studies Find

Solar power in southeastern Ontario has the potential to produce almost the
same amount of power as all the nuclear reactors in the United States,
according to two studies conducted by the Queen's University Applied
Sustainability Research Group located in Kingston, Canada.

"The sun doesn't always shine, so if you couple solar power with other
renewable energy sources such as wind, hydro and biomass, southeastern
Ontario could easily cover its own energy needs," Professor Pearce says.

http://www.pddnet.com/news-solar-power-in-ontario-could-produce-almost-as-mu
ch-power-as-all-united-states-nuclear-reactors-studies-find-041610/

Denis Hayes: Earth Day and new nuclear reactors don't mix

The climate clock is ticking. Achieving a safe, self-reliant, prosperous
future now will be more expensive and more painful than if we had simply
stayed the course 30 years ago. Let's not hop from the climate frying pan to
the nuclear fire. Let's not waste more time and money on an outdated nuclear
technology that has already flunked the market test.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion/column/article_7ced5f7b-59c0-5e9d-ba
9a-444a7742d155.html

Nurses, doctors release new coal death statistics

At a Queen's Park news conference today, Wendy Fucile of the Registered
Nurses Association of Ontario and Dr. Hilary de Veber of the Canadian
Association of Physicians for the Environment called on Premier McGuinty to
phase-out our dirty coal plants now - four years ahead of schedule - to save
1,000 lives <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/827/> .

The OCAA
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/phaseout%20progress%202010.p
df>  has clearly documented that Ontario now has more than sufficient
coal-free power to keep the lights on.  Let's stop putting dirty power ahead
of public health.

Please contact Opposition Leader Tim Hudak  <mailto:Tim.Hudak at pc.ola.org>
and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath <mailto:horwatha at ndp.on.ca>  and ask them to
support the call for an early coal phase-out (and please cc me
<mailto:angela at cleanairalliance.org> ).

Sign the Petition to shut down Ontario's Coal Power Plants This Year!

Stop the smog, save lives. Ontario now has more than sufficient coal-free
power to keep the lights on.

Online petition: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/petition

And then order free copies of our leaflet - We Can Stop Burning Coal Today -
which includes a postcard to McGuinty, to give to your friends and
colleagues - help us get the word out:

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets

There's A War Being Waged On Our Grandchildren by Coal Industry

4 min. video

http://350orbust.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/theres-a-war-being-waged-on-our-gr
andchildren-by-coal-industry/

The New Anti-Nuclear Movement
<http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=4915234503190099629&postID=822646
0838339818880>

There is a lot of news about nuclearism these days.

To cut through the verbiage of treaties and agreements and summits, and move
people from fear to action, we need to focus on three concepts: The United
States is the biggest problem when it comes to nuclear weapons. We need a
new treaty to replace the NPT. And no nukes means no nuclear power.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/2010/04/new-anti-nuclear-movement.html

Nuclear Follies

But with a new Nuclear Posture Review, a recent nuclear summit attended by
47 world leaders, and an updated arms control treaty with Russia, the Obama
administration is attempting to bring nuclear policies into the 21st
century. Are we in the process of giving up our nuclear addiction, or is
this just flimflam from an addict who refuses to go cold turkey?

Before we answer that question, let's test your nuclear knowledge.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-feffer/nuclear-follies_b_544824.html

Our Big Challenge on Earth Day: Stop the Nuke Industry from Pretending It
Can Prevent Climate Change

The Climate Bill is due on Earth Day. By all accounts it
<http://nukefree.org/node/1880> will be a nuclear bomb.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/146546

Nuclear Power Federal Loan Guarantees: The Next Multi-Billion Dollar
Bailout?

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Testimony/Nuclear-Power-Federal-Loan-Guaran
tees-The-Next-Multi-Billion-Dollar-Bailout

Multi-state marchers against nuclear power meet with public in Berks

There's not much time for rest when you've got 1,000 miles to cover - on
foot. The group is part of Footprint for Peace, an Ohio-based organization
lobbying for nuclear non-proliferation. They are on a nearly four-month walk
from Tennessee to New York.

Footprints for Peace is dedicated to a nuclear-free world, which includes
eliminating nuclear power generation.

"The technology is the same technology," he said of nuclear power generation
and weapons. "As we spread nuclear power to the world, we spread the
technology for those countries to create nuclear weapons in the future."

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=213715

Watch the 2 minute video of the march here:
http://www.pottstownmercury.com/articles/2010/04/20/news/doc4bce19d291bd1345
707464.txt

Nuclear power: no solution to climate change

On March 4, a debate was held in Melbourne on the topic "Should Australia
embrace nuclear power?". Read this concise summary of the arguments.

http://www.greenleft.org.au/2010/834/42902

<http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2010/4/19/beyond-nuclear-report-on-leakin
g-reactors-finds-regulator-ig.html> Beyond Nuclear report on leaking
reactors finds regulator ignoring oversight

A new report released today by Beyond Nuclear - Leak First, Fix Later:
Uncontrolled and Unmonitored Radioactive Releases from Nuclear Power Plants
- looks at the epidemic of reactors leaking tritium into groundwater. The
report finds that the federal regulator - the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory
Commission -  is ignoring its oversight and enforcement responsibilities at
the nation's increasingly leaky, uninspected and unmaintained nuclear power
plants.

Of further concern, the agency and the industry continue to downplay and
trivialize the health risks of prolonged exposure to tritium, a known
carcinogen which is shown to cause cancer, genetic mutations and birth
defects.

http://www.beyondnuclear.org/

505 Order of Canada Recipients Call for Nuclear Weapons Treaty

In an unprecedented development, more than 500 recipients of the prestigious
Order of Canada have come together to call on governments around the world,
including Canada, to bring about the elimination of nuclear weapons.

"It is vital that governments seize this new moment of opportunity and
commit to start work now to prevent the 21st century from turning into a
two-class world of nuclear haves and have-nots," said Senator Doug Roche
(ret.), former UN Ambassador for Disarmament. "The continued possession of
more than 20,000 nuclear weapons by the U.S., Russia, the U.K., France and
China, along with India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea, must be dealt
with if global cooperation to reduce nuclear dangers is to be achieved."

The text of the statement and complete list of 505 signatories can be found
at www.pugwashgroup.ca
<http://click.icptrack.com/icp/relay.php?r=43341617&msgid=613923&act=IZON&c=
306146&destination=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rideauinstitute.ca%2Ffile-library%2FCFNW
C-505-Signatories-English.pdf> .

Empowering the Planet - An Earth Day Overview

The coal, hard facts

Oil's well that ends well

Step on the gas

Nuclear meltdown

Renewable alternatives

Accelerating innovation

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-m-gentile/empowering-the-planet-an_b_542
712.html

Hot Docs is Coming to Toronto

170 documentary films!

April 29 - May 9

Check out the energy/nuke films:

 <http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/dreamland> Dreamland  With its
hydroelectric and geothermal power surplus, Iceland's clean energy
initiatives have ironically attracted heavy industries whose pollution
decimates the natural vegetation. A troubling tale of sabotage from the
front lines of the green revolution.

 <http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/gasland> Gasland  Flammable tap water,
mysterious ailments, poisoned land and livestock: Sundance prize-winner
Gasland exposes the shocking environmental calamities and cover-ups caused
by natural gas drilling, shedding an absurd light on America's new energy
race.

 <http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/into_eternity> Into Eternity  The
fascinating scientific minds behind Finland's massive underground nuclear
waste storage facility, where radioactive waste must sit untouched for at
least 100,000 years to neutralize its potential danger, are probed in this
unique and stylish film.

 <http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/tankograd> Tankograd  What could possibly
thrive in Chelyabinsk, Russia - the world's most radioactive city? Dance, of
course. A world-renowned modern dance company soars above the city's toxic
soil to create an inspiring future in this unique environmental essay.

For the full list of all the docs, go here: http://www.hotdocs.ca/

Green and Peaceful Energy

Presentation with Jack Gibbons of Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Sunday April 25th, 12:45 to 2 pm.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (near St. George subway station), Toronto

The presentation follows the Quaker Meeting which is at 11 am.  All welcome!

MILITARIZATION and the CLIMATE CRISIS: TIME to be BOLD

Tuesday April 27, 10:30 a.m. - noon

St. Andrew's United Church 117 Bloor Street East, 2nd floor, Toronto (near
Yonge and Bloor)

BARBARA FALBY: Barbara is an Eco Conscientous Objector - who works with
ForOurGrandchildren, the Just Earth Coalition; endorses the work Canadian
Voice of Women for Peace, the Toronto Environmental Alliance, Greenpece and
CELA in their work for CO2 reductions and environmental sustainability.
Former President, Anglican Church Women at St. James Cathedral

SHIRLEY FARLINGER: Member of Pugwash; Editor of The Bulletin, Science for
Peace; member of Older Women's Network, International Institute of Concern
for Public Health (Rosalie Bertell); author of "A Million for Peace: the
History of the Peacemaking Fund of the United Church of Canada". Freelance
writer Peace Magazine and other magazines.
Followed by discussion, questions

Coffee at 10 a.m., Lunch around 12 noon: sandwiches, wraps, tea.

Presented by: VETERANS AGAINST NUCLEAR ARMS, ON-QUE REGION
For further information please contact Audrey Tobias Tel/FAX (416) 423-8523.
email atobias at primus.ca

Our Power

With Ontario's new Feed-In Tariff program now up and running, there has
never been a better time to consider adding a solar electric system to your
roof. If you or anyone you know has any interest in such, the Toronto
Renewable Energy Co-Operative offers all sorts of purchasing assistance
through the "Our Power" project.

Expert staff not only supply lots of unbiased purchasing info, but for $25
you can have a personalized solar assessment and written report done on your
home, get a list of the solar options open to you (including one where a
firm puts a system on your roof at their expense and pays you rent), obtain
the list of our approved installers and have access unlimited follow-up
phone support.

http://www.ourpower.ca/

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director