T.O. Greenspiration Events: Working together...

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Sun May 2 22:22:25 EDT 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Share this with a friend...

Happy recycling and composting
If you wish to recycle and compost all that you can, but often wonder
whether a particular item is recyclable, compostable, or just garbage,
(ie. Plastic bags, coffee cups, Styrofoam, pizza boxes etc.), here is
a great new tool from the city to quickly get the answer

http://app.toronto.ca/wes/winfo/search.do

Beautiful Destruction - Alberta Tar Sands Aerial Photographs
Contact Toronto Photography Festival

May 1 – May 31, 2010. The Rivoli, 334 Queen St. West. Opening Saturday
May 1, 2010 3PM-5PM. Hours: 11:30 - 2AM, 7 days/week.
ARTIST TALK LOUIS HELBIG Tuesday May 4, 7PM, THE RIVOLI | $5 suggested
donation

Louis Helbig's aerial photography is described as teetering between
documentary and abstract. Helbig will speak about his award winning
exhibition "Beautiful Destruction - Alberta Tar Sands Aerial
Photographs." This will be an interactive presentation with the artist
discussing working from his antique airplane and leading a critical
discussion of Canada's hottest environmental issue, the AB tar sands.

STUDIES IN PROPAGANDA

Free Lecture Series -- Spring 2010 - 10th Year - With Sydney White,
Investigative Journalist
Mon. May 3, 6 - 8 p.m.

New Location: 10 King's College Road, Sanford Fleming Building, Room
1105

Mass Mind Control. Big Pharma attacks the children - Ritalin and
Prozac. The history of MK Ultra experiments in Canada.  Were they
really ended?

For more info: 416 787 0592

Working Together for a World Without Nuclear Weapons

- a dynamic evening of dialogue with Toronto citizens and featuring 50
A-Bombing Survivors & Peace Activists from the Japan Council Against
Atomic & Hydrogen Bombs

Wed. May 5
- 5:00 pm Silent Vigil, Toronto Peace Garden
- 5:30 pm Public Meeting, Toronto City Hall Council Chamber
100 Queen Street West, corner of Queen & Bay

Welcome Address by Mayor David Miller. With MCs, Setsuko Thurlow, a-
bombing survivor, and Phyllis Creighton, Science for Peace. Plus,
Anton Wagner (Hiroshima Day Coalition), Bruce Mutch (Veterans Against
Nuclear Arms), Dr. Barbara Birkett (Physicians for Global Survival),
Shirley Farlinger (Canadian Voice of Women for Peace), Rob Acheson,
(Canadian Department of Peace Initiative), Metta Spencer (Peace
Magazine).

Plus hear about the tens of thousands of people from around the world
who, on the eve of the “Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review
Conference” at the United Nations Headquarters, gathered to tell our
world leaders, “Never Again”.

Details, please contact Helen Chilas, 416-473-8238, h-chilas at rogers.com

  GREEN SCREENS presents...
THE ARCTIC CIRCLE: ON THIN ICE

Wednesday, May 5 at 7 PM
at the NFB Cinema  FREE

NFB MEDIATHEQUE | 150 John St., Toronto | 416.973.3012 | NFB.ca/
mediatheque

Climate change is hitting the Arctic harder and faster than any other
region on Earth. In On Thin Ice, we meet international teams of
scientists who are chronicling the effects of climate change on the
land and its animal inhabitants. We see huge ice shelves crumbling
into the sea, polar bears struggling to survive and torrents of water
flowing where there should be only ice.

Join us after the screening for a panel discussion with Dr. Peter J.
Ewins, Senior Officer, Species Conservation, WWF-Canada; Quentin
Chiotti, Science Advisor, Pollution Probe; and Laura Zizzo, Climate
Change and Environmental Lawyer, Zizzo Allan Climate Law LLP.

GREEN SCREENS partners films from the National Film Board with experts
and panellists hosted by the Canadian Institute for Environmental Law
and Policy (CIELAP).

Refusing to be Enemies
BOOK LAUNCH and film

Thur. May 6th , 7 – 9 pm
at BEIT ZATOUN, 612 Markham St.

Maxine Kaufman-Lacusta profiles Palestinian and Israeli Nonviolent
Resistance to the Israeli Occupation.
Forward by Ursula Franklin.
Film of the same title will be shown.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/Home.aspx

Old Struggles, New Strategies:
Building a Radical Disability Movement

Pissed off that the province cut the Special Diet money? Angry because
cops, immigration ministers, social workers and teachers target you or
your allies, and can't meet your needs? So are we.

Ableism - systemic discrimination against disabled people - affects
everyone. There is power and strength in our shared stories and
struggles. We have what it takes to fight back.

JOIN DAMN 2025, a cross disability direct action coalition, for a
PUBLIC MEETING to brainstorm new campaigns to combat ableism in
Toronto. Share a meal, share your ideas, let's build a movement
together.

Thur. May 6th, 6:30 pm to 9 pm
Friends’ House, 60 Lowther Avenue (1 block from St. George Subway
Station)
Meal Provided
Wheelchair Accessible
ASL provided
For more info: damn2025 at gmail.com or (416) 889-3037 with any questions

Toronto Bolivia Solidarity would like to invite all friends of Bolivia
and of Mother Earth to:

Report Back from the People’s Summit in Cochabamba, Bolivia
World People's Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother
Earth

Fri. May 7, at 7 p.m., at the Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St., Toronto

Thousands of Indigenous organizations, scientists, and environmental
and political activists from all over the world gathered in Cochabamba
Apr. 19-22 to devise strategies against climate change and in defense
of the Rights of Mother Earth. The goal was to create a people's
global movement to confront the challenges facing Mother Earth and
Humanity. The peoples of the world must make a promise to humanity to
amend for the failure of the December 2009 Copenhagen climate summit.

Ideas to be discussed will be sustainability, living well instead of
living better, and a communitarian way of life in harmony with nature,
in opposition to the disrespectful and destructive model of
capitalism. As Pablo Solon,  ambassador to the UN of the Plurinational
State of Bolivia, has said, "We need to change the system not the
climate."

For more info: Toronto Bolivia Solidarity, 416 465-5976  torontoboliviasolidarity at gmail.com

Mining (in)justice: Global Resistance to Canadian Mining

Conference
May 7-9,  Earth Sciences Building, U of T

Mining (in)justice: at home and abroad is a conference on the Canadian
mining industry (including Tar Sands). It will feature leaders in
movements against Canadian mining companies both within and outside of
Canada and provide space for growing our own movements in alliance
with communities impacted by this industry. Reports will be heard from
delegates from Papua New Guinea, Chile, Peru, Mexico, Guatemala,
Honduras as well as tar sands affected communities and other
communities on Turtle Island affected by Canadian extractive industries.

Community Solidarity Response Toronto (CSRT) works to bring the voices
and experiences of communities impacted by Canadian extractive
industries to Toronto, where much of this industry is based. We work
in alliance with affected communities within and outside of Canada to
expose the true impacts of these companies within the communities in
which they operate.

For more information and to find out how to get involved!
e-mail: csrtoronto at gmail.com
http://www.solidarityresponse.net/mining-injustice-conference/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=112912948735691&ref=mf

LAUNCH OF DOMINION G8/G20 ISSUE

and opening night of the Mining (in)Justice Conference

Fri. May 7th, 8:00 pm till late
The Ram in the Rye, 55 Gould Street (Corner of Gould St & Church St.)
$5 (no one turned away for lack of funds)
$0 to $5 for G8/G20 Issue of the Dominion

http://www.dominionpaper.ca/

PsychOut
A Conference for Organizing Resistance Against Psychiatry

Fri/Sat May 7/8
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, Toronto

Keynote speakers include:
David Oaks, MindFreedom International
Dr. Bonnie Burstow, OISE/UT, Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault
Peter Lehmann,Activist and founder of Peter Lehmann Publishing
Dan Taylor, MindFreedom Ghana

Thank you to our sponsors… Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault -
Office of the Associate Dean, Research, Ontario Institute for Studies
in Education - Adult Education and Community Development at OISE/UT -
Counselling Psychology Program at OISE/UT - Sociology and
Equity Studies at OISE/UT - Women and Gender Studies Institute at the
University of Toronto - Centre for Women Studies in Education at
OISE/UT - Transformative Learning Centre at OISE/UT - School of
Disability Studies at Ryerson University - Nova Scotia Cerebral Palsy
Association - Tooker Gomberg Greenspiration Fund - DisAbled Women's
Network Ontario - The Opal Project - Nationwide Call to Action:
Stop Forced “Mental Health Treatment” - No Involuntary Outpatient
Commitment Campaign - Students on Seven at OISE/UT -
Mindfreedom International

Email: psychout at utoronto.ca
See full program and register here: http://ocs.library.utoronto.ca/index.php/psychout/

-----
Exploring madness and mental health
  PsychOUT promises to explore madness and mental health issues in
ways not usually found in traditional settings.
http://www.healthzone.ca/health/mindmood/mentalhealth/article/796516--exploring-madness-and-mental-health

Facilitation (101 and 201)
Saturday May 8th, 1pm-4pm

(downtown location)

A major part of movement building is lots and lots of meetings.
Meetings can be inspiring, hellish, or somewhere in between. The
quality of a meeting depends a lot on good facilitation! Being a
facilitator is not running the show and it is more than keeping track
of the people who want to speak. So what is it? Come learn and share
strategies on how to maintain good communication, equity, active
listening and effective decision making for meetings of all shapes and
sizes.

Facilitation 101 – for people with some or no facilitation experience.

Facilitation 201 – for experienced facilitators looking to improve.

For more info: jessicambell at gmail.com

Celebrate MOTHER’S DAY FOR PEACE

with Ontario Voice of Women
Saturday May 8th , 9:30 – 3 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
Lunch included.

Did you know the first Mother’s Day was declared as a day for peace?
Julia Ward-Howe, in 1870, declared….
“Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we have been
able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience.
We, the women of one country, will be too tender of those of another
country to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."

Presenters include: Mitra Saffari on The Democracy Movement in Iran,
and Maxine Kaufman Lacusta on her new book “Refusing to be Enemies”

Info/registration www.vowpeace.org
New members welcome.

 From Congo With Love

presented by: Oxfam Canada

Sat. May 8,  10:00 a.m. - Sun. May 9, 4:00 PM
905 Queen Street West (Queen and Ossington)
Free outdoor photo exhibit

This new photo exhibit was shot in Sange, eastern Congo. The portraits
remind viewers that the people of Congo are more than just victims of
war. Each photo is accompanied by a testimony written by the person in
the portrait, and the portraits themselves are blindingly beautiful
shots of people speaking about whatever they love: another family,
their spouse, a granddaughter, their guitar, even a hat.
For more information contact:
Phone: 416-535-2335

  http://www.oxfam.ca/news-and-publications/events/from-congo-with-love/

Stop shocking our mothers and grandmothers!
Stop public funding of electroshock “therapy”!

Sun. May 9, 1:15 p.m. College / Spadina, 2 p.m. Queen's Park
Legislative Grounds

Please join us on Mother’s Day (Sunday, May 9th) to protest the
province’s continuing sponsorship of electroconvulsive
therapy, a controversial and often involuntary procedure that is most
commonly inflicted upon women and the elderly.

The Mother’s Day event will be followed by a private member’s bill to
discontinue public funding for
electroshock, which will be introduced into the legislature by NDP
Parkdale-High Park MPP Cheri DiNovo days
later. Cheri DiNovo will discuss her much-anticipated bill at this
rally.

This is a family-friendly event. Free refreshments will be served.

This event is proudly sponsored by the Coalition Against Psychiatric
Assault (CAPA). Co-sponsors include: the Ontario
Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP), Nellie’s Women’s Shelter,
Greenspiration, Resistance Against Psychiatry, We the
People, The Opal Project, and the Nationwide Organizing Call to
Action: Stop Forced “Mental Health Treatment,” and
the steering committee of “PsychOut: A Conference for Organizing
Against Psychiatry.”

HAVEN'T FOUND A ROOM 4 MAY??
great room in loft available (Dupont St - central - dwtn) - $675

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/roo/1721220189.html

Hot Docs is Here - Toronto
170 documentary films!
April 29 – May 9

Catch A Different Path http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/a_different_path

For the full list of all the docs, go here: http://www.hotdocs.ca/

Community Shared Agriculture (CSA)  means turning Toronto’s backyards
into a sustainable source of fresh, organic food.   CSA also means….
fresh food available to Torontorians
the rediscovery of truly local food
providing the freshest, tastiest, city-grown produce to GTA residents
homeowners can have a personal vegetable garden right in their own
backyards
access to safe, local food.
http://yufcsa.com/about/mission-statement/
Young Urban Farmers, Community Shared Agriculture
416-238-5715

What's wrong with the G20?

http://www.attacktheroots.net/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in