Greenspiration News: Love your Mother

Bischoff Angela greenspi at web.ca
Tue May 11 22:01:19 EDT 2010

Greenspiration News

Mother's Day Proclamation - Disarm! Disarm!
by Julia Ward Howe

Arise then...women of this day!
Arise, all women who have hearts!
Whether your baptism be of water or of tears!
Say firmly: "We will not have questions answered by irrelevant agencies,
Our husbands will not come to us, reeking with carnage for caresses
and applause.
Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn all that we have been
able to teach them of charity, mercy and patience.
We, the women of one country, will be too tender of those of another
country to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs."
 From the voice of a devastated Earth a voice goes up with
Our own.  It says: "Disarm! Disarm! The sword of murder is not the
balance of justice."

Mother's Day Manifesto: 2010

http://www.truthout.org/mothers-day-manifesto-201059302

Indigenous peoples declaration from Cochabamba Peoples Climate
Conference
Mother Earth can live without us, but we can’t live without her. Read
the Peoples' Declaration that came out of the climate conference held
in April in Cochabamba, Bolivia. Wow!

http://www.sydney.foe.org.au/news/indigenous-peoples-declaration-cochabamba-peoples-climate-confernece

Victory!  The Climate Change Accountability Act passes its third and
final reading in the House of Commons!

Next stop: the Senate!

“The passing of the Climate Change Accountability Act is a huge
victory for climate change policy in Canada.The environmental movement
has supported this Bill from its inception as one of the strongest
pieces of climate change legislation in Canadian politics," John
Bennett, Sierra Club Canada.

Everyone deserves credit for the passing of this Bill! Thank you to
those who celebrated with us last night both in person and in spirit.

This morning a new chapter of the campaign began as we dropped off 108
letters to the Canadian Senate urging them to pass this Bill as soon
as possible. Stay tuned!

See the rest of our press release here.

See our open letter to the Senate in support of the Climate Change
Accountability Act

News Media: Harper hears transatlantic calls for climate-change reforms

Environmental Defence Report: Falling Behind: Canada's Lost Clean
Energy Jobs

This report examines clean energy investments made by Canada's federal
government and by U.S. President Obama. Key findings include that
Canadians have missed out on approximately 66,000 jobs because the
federal government has failed to match the U.S. in renewable energy
investments.

http://www.environmentaldefence.ca/reports/Falling_Behind.html

Want to Prevent Oil Spill Disasters? Stop Driving
A submerged oil well is spewing a river of oil toward Louisiana and
the Gulf Coast. Birds and fish will die, wetlands and beaches will be
ruined -- all because we drive cars.  http://www.alternet.org/environment/146694/want_to_prevent_oil_spill_disasters_stop_driving
President Obama: This is Your Crude Awakening
Ban Offshore Drilling -- Permanently!

We urge you to permanently abandon plans for offshore drilling and
stop letting oil companies determine energy policy. Instead, invest in
a clean and safe energy future that protects the world from the worst
effects of climate change.

http://action.350.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=3191

A New Climate Movement in Bolivia
By Naomi Klein

The Bolivian government got the ball rolling by proposing four big
ideas: that nature should be granted rights that protect ecosystems
from annihilation (a "Universal Declaration of Mother Earth Rights");
that those who violate those rights and other international
environmental agreements should face legal consequences (a "Climate
Justice Tribunal"); that poor countries should receive various forms
of compensation for a crisis they are facing but had little role in
creating ("Climate Debt"); and that there should be a mechanism for
people around the world to express their views on these topics ("World
People's Referendum on Climate Change").

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20100510/klein

Ottawa tells energy firms to start powering down coal-fired plants

Environment Minister Jim Prentice has told Canada’s major electricity
producers that they’ll have to gradually retire their coal-fired
plants and replace them with cleaner sources of power – a plan that
would be a boon to natural gas producers. Under Ottawa’s proposal,
power companies would have to close their coal-fired facilities as
they reach the end of their commercial life, largely over the next 10
to 15 years.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/ottawa-wants-coal-fired-power-plants-to-close/article1546314/

Here’s to a coal-free Canada!

Order free Coal or Nuke-Free Ontario leaflets/postcards here:http://cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets

Sign the Petition to shut down ON’s coal plants today: http://www.cleanairalliance.org/petition

The Other Oil Disaster: Cancer and Canada's Tar Sands

I can't blame you if you've never heard of "Ft. Chip" - after all,
there are only 1000 residents, and it's only accessible by plane or
boat. But you should hear about it, because what happens there will
affect all of us.  The town has been suffering for more than ten years
from surprisingly high rates of cancer.

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/gsolomon/the_other_oil_disaster_cancer.html

Big Pharma, Bad Medicine
How corporate dollars corrupt research and education
http://bostonreview.net/BR35.3/angell.php

Action: Mr. Harper, stop playing politics with women’s lives!
Every eight minutes, a woman in a developing country dies from
complications caused by an unsafe abortion, often leaving behind
motherless children.
In Canada, women have the right to a safe abortion. Now Stephen Harper
joins ex-U.S. President George Bush in putting his ideology ahead of
women’s lives. At the G8 meeting in Halifax, the Harper government
said that international aid should only be given if access to safe
abortions is excluded.

Tell PM Harper to stop playing politics with women’s lives. Women have
the right to choose for themselves without being sentenced to death.

Sign the petition:  http://www.rightoncanada.ca/?p=796

Catch these photos of car/bike stencils:

http://i.imgur.com/bTNyL.jpg

1. This one runs on money and makes you fat (car)
2. This one runs on fat and makes you money (bike)

Adults' suicide risk similar for all antidepressants
People have about the same risk of having suicidal thoughts or
attempting suicide when starting out on antidepressants no matter what
type of pill they're prescribed, new research shows.

The US Food and Drug Administration issued a warning in 2004 that
children and adolescents taking antidepressants might have an
increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors. In 2006, it
extended the warning to include young adults up to age 25. All
antidepressant labels must now carry a "black box" warning stating
that they can increase a person's likelihood of suicidal thoughts and
behaviors.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6435IM20100504?feedType=nl&feedName=ushealth1100

Bus Bike Rack Rap
Does your city have bike racks on buses? If not, why not? It's this
easy.

1 minute video:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoFFg0W9UME

-------------------------------------------------------r
The Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America

A Conversation with Robert Whitaker

http://www.counterpunch.org/levine04282010.html

Journalist Robert Whitaker speaks on depression, drugs, worsening
symptoms and exercise

An excellent 45 min. audio interview and article

Here, medical journalist and Pulitzer Prize nominee Robert Whitaker
discusses the widespread use of psychiatric drugs. His latest book,
which was recently released, is Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets,
Psychiatric Drugs and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America.
"The UK, for example, does not routinely recommend antidepressants as
the first line of therapy for mild to moderate depression anymore, and
doctors there can write out a prescription to see an exercise
counselor instead. Studies on exercise as a treatment for depression
are also showing that there is a strong correlation between improved
mood and aerobic capacity. So there’s a growing acceptance that the
mind-body connection is very real, and that maintaining good physical
health can significantly lower your risk of developing depression in
the first place."
“There are two side effects or risks [to antidepressant drugs] that
really need to be addressed, and that everybody should be thinking
about, that show up in the scientific literature,” Whitaker says. “The
first risk is that you’ll convert from unipolar depression to bipolar
depression... The second real risk is that there is a lot of evidence
compiling [showing] that if you stay on antidepressants for five, ten,
fifteen years, there is some real worry with cognitive decline
associated with that long term use.”
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/08/robert-whitaker-interview.aspx
RCEN Launches Eco Jobs, Events and Volunteering

The Canadian Environmental Network (RCEN) is excited to announce the
launch of three new services, in partnership with Planetfriendly and
GoodWork Canada:
Eco Events Calendar http://calendar.rcen.ca/
Eco Jobs Board  http://jobs.rcen.ca/
Eco Volunteer Opportunities http://volunteer.rcen.ca/
Canada's tar sands: a dangerous solution to offshore oil

Alberta is the 'safe' option for US oil needs – but its tar sands are
far more environmentally damaging than Deep Horizon

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/11/alberta-california-tar-sands-oil

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in