Greenspiration News: bike baby bike

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon May 31 21:55:03 EDT 2010

Greenspiration News

"You Murder The Sea When You Drive Your Car"
http://jjlocke.wordpress.com/

Sign-up for Climate Action News to stay informed about climate action
and policy in Canada and around the world: http://www.climateactionnetwork.ca/e/news/climate-action/index.html

Boycott BP
Why? Because BP must pay.

Eleven oil workers are dead. One of the largest oil spills in U.S.
history continues to worsen. BP's oil gusher at the floor of the Gulf
of Mexico may be 100 times worse than BP first estimated (and 20 times
worse than the company presently claims).
Take the Beyond BP Pledge! Drive a car? Like the occasional fountain
drink? Send a clear message to BP by boycotting its gas and retail
store products. Don't spend a cent of your hard-earned money to feed
the bottom line of a corporation that has a sordid history of
negligence, willfully violates environmental regulations, and is
spewing thousands and thousands of barrels of oil a day into the Gulf
of Mexico.

I pledge to boycott BP for at least three months. Sign here: http://www.citizen.org/page.aspx?pid=3311
Full article here:  http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/corp-focus/2010/000334.html
The Crisis Comes Ashore
Why the oil spill could change everything.
by Al Gore
"The continuing undersea gusher of oil 50 miles off the shores of
Louisiana (watch video) is not the only source of dangerous
uncontrolled pollution spewing into the environment. Worldwide, the
amount of man-made CO2 being spilled every three seconds into the thin
shell of atmosphere surrounding the planet equals the highest current
estimate of the amount of oil spilling from the Macondo well every
day. Indeed, the average American coal-fired power generating plant
gushes more than three times as much global-warming pollution into the
atmosphere each day—and there are over 1,400 of them.  Just as the oil
companies told us that deep-water drilling was safe, they tell us that
it’s perfectly all right to dump 90 million tons of CO2 into the air
of the world every 24 hours."

http://www.tnr.com/article/politics/the-crisis-comes-ashore

The joys and sorrows of cycling

The real question is why we devote most of the room on our public
roads to the least efficient vehicle (the car) and the least room to
the most efficient vehicle (the bicycle). Cyclists don’t want to be
quoted in news stories about the death or injury of fellow cyclists;
we want to be celebrating the transformation of roads into places that
are safe for cycling. It’s up to city politicians to give us those
opportunities for celebration.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/814991--the-joys-and-sorrows-of-cycling

Not So Sexy: The Health Risks of Secret Chemicals in Fragrance

This report found that the fragrances Canadians are using every day
contain a dozen or more secret chemicals not listed on labels,
multiple chemicals that can trigger allergic reactions or disrupt
hormones, and many substances that have not been assessed for safety
by the beauty industry’s self-policing review panels.

Sign our "Just Beautiful" petition: Ask that Health Canada be given
the authority and resources it needs to ensure the safety of cosmetics
and personal care products.

Read the report and/or sign the petition here:  http://toxicnation.ca/node/278

No More Offshore Drilling!
Please sign the Avaaz.org petition!

Before the spill, U.S. leaders were ramping up offshore drilling. Now,
the Obama administration says no new drilling will be allowed until an
investigation is concluded. But that's not enough: offshore drilling
is dirty, dangerous, and the wrong strategy for a safe climate
futurefor all.

The world needs the US to move away from oil, and work with us instead
to drive forward the global clean energy revolution. Let’s use this
moment to send a world-wide message to President Obama, urging him to
overturn offshore drilling expansion -- our global outcry will be
delivered in Washington with a massive banner when we reach 500,000
signers:

To President Obama and members of Congress:
We urge you to permanently call off plans to open up more of the US
coastline to dangerous offshore drilling. Instead, invest in a clean
and safe energy future.

To sign the Avaaz petition, please go to this link:
https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stop_offshore_drilling_2/97.php?cl_tta_sign=224387b9354a2d2203c83c376a5145dd

Jack Layton: 'We've had three elections in seven years... and we're
making progress'

The NDP leader talks to rabble.ca about past strategies and future
plans.

http://www.rabble.ca/news/2010/05/jack-layton

Mobile phones: Is there an epidemic on hold?
The world’s most important study into the dangers of mobile-phone use
raises serious worries; indeed, it produces evidence that suggests
that they pose a very serious threat indeed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7751142/Mobile-phones-Is-there-an-epidemic-on-hold.html
------
Lessons from the Interphone Study

A critique by Dr. Magda Havas

http://www.magdahavas.com/2010/05/20/lessons-from-the-interphone-study/

Haitian Farmers Commit to Burning Monsanto Hybrid Seeds

"A new earthquake" is what peasant farmer leader Chavannes Jean-
Baptiste of the Peasant Movement of Papay (MPP) called the news that
Monsanto will be donating 60,000 seed sacks (475 tons) of hybrid corn
seeds and vegetable seeds, some of them treated with highly toxic
pesticides. The MPP has committed to burning Monsanto's seeds, and has
called for a march to protest the corporation's presence in Haiti on
June 4, for World Environment Day.

http://www.truthout.org/haitian-farmers-commit-burning-monsanto-hybrid-seeds59616

G8/G20 Convergence in Canada
21 - 27 June 2010
DAYS OF ACTION: 25-27 JUNE

Anti-Colonial People's Convergence with Rallies. Marches. Parties.
Forums.
Autonomous, Creative and Fun Actions.
Tent City
in Toronto and across Turtle Island

http://g20.torontomobilize.org

SCHEDULE: http://g20.torontomobilize.org/schedule
GET INVOLVED: http://g20.torontomobilize.org/getinvolved
SUPPORT US: http://g20.torontomobilize.org/support
COMING TO TORONTO?: http://g20.torontomobilize.org/comingtotoronto

ALSO, 10 REASONS TO OPPOSE THE G8/G20
Part 1:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LguieJZFCUY
Part 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtuMgh_kI1M

WANT TO FOLLOW G8/G20 NEWS?
http://g20.torontomobilize.org/g8g20news

G8/G20 Communique: After the bombing
Activist communities react to the RBC branch fire bombing in Ottawa.

http://goto.rabble.ca/t?r=1530&c=897933&l=36229&ctl=16650A2:399A8B838584CD15F53EF18330FEF35360A0614370F1CFFE&

G20 Police Won’t Rule Out Breaking The Law
Police Silent on Tactics

The RCMP-led Integrated Security Unit (ISU) of the G20 is refusing to
rule out the use of Agent Provocateurs to get protesters to commit
illegal acts, the Toronto Media Co-op has learned.

http://toronto.mediacoop.ca/story/3478

Toronto police get 'sound cannons' for G20
Long-range acoustic devices can be used for crowd control

He says LRADs should be considered potential weapons and large
international summits can often be used as testing grounds for new
police technologies or techniques.

“They’re being very disingenuous about what this is,” he said. “It
emits a sound that is in fact at frequency levels that can go way
beyond what human beings can put up with in terms of pain and can be
damaging.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/815061--toronto-police-get-sound-cannons-for-g20?bn=1

Response from the Toronto Community Mobilization Network
http://g20.torontomobilize.org/node/183

Road tolls one of 16 ideas to pay for transit

Road tolls, gas taxes and parking surcharges could generate $1 billion
each annually toward transit improvements in the Toronto region,
according to a report issued by the Toronto Board of Trade on Wednesday.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/811551--road-tolls-one-of-16-ideas-to-pay-for-transit

Sat. June 5 is World Environment Day
Honor earth, sea, sky in your own way...

Canada must stop subsidies to big oil companies

A leaked memo to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty advised the minister to
live up to a G20 commitment to phase out tax breaks to the companies
that produce coal, oil and gas. With just four weeks left before the
G20 summit in Toronto, it’s time for Minister Flaherty and Prime
Minister Harper to commit to a Canadian plan to end tax breaks to
fossil fuel producers. read more of Climate Action Network's press
release...

Media:
Phase out subsidies to gas and oil Flaherty urged  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/Phase+subsidies+Flaherty+urged/3071210/story.html

Leaked government document says Canada should end fossil fuel subsidies
http://climate.pembina.org/blog/92

Alberta gives charity to the oil industry
Calgary – In the tradition of giving alms to the poor, the Alberta
government unveiled initiatives to accelerate new technologies to
encourage development of Alberta’s vast unconventional and deep
resource pools and finalized royalty curves for conventional oil and
gas.

http://jjlocke.wordpress.com/

Toxic cities mock 'healthy' cycle riding

Cyclists inhale five times as many toxic particles as car passengers,
research found

CYCLING to work may seem the healthy option, but a study has shown that
people riding in cities inhale tens of millions of toxic nanoparticles
with
every breath, at least five times more than drivers or pedestrians.

Int Panis and his colleagues point out that cycling still brings many
health
benefits and hope that it may be healthier than driving a car.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7140213.ece

A Parking Spot for Every Bike

In the US, many states are beginning to integrate bike garages with
the natural cityscape either by merging it with potential bulidings
and free space or creating small-scale garages.

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/a-parking-lot-for-your-bike/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in