TO. Greenspiration Events: Torontanimo

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Jun 28 01:11:39 EDT 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend! -a

"$1 billion dollars has not been used to protect people and to keep the city safe. Instead it has been used to repress the people who are working to make this city, and planet a fairer, more just, and more humane place."
    - Toronto Community Mobilization Network

G20 Torontanimo

So this is what fascism looks like.

Check out these pics of Queen and Spadina on Sun. afternoon:
- http://twitpic.com/20kbgx
- http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonasnaimark/4739841273/

And check out these short vids:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heb9BXjYcII
- http://www.thestar.com/videozone/829371--police-fire-muzzle-blast-at-protestors
- http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=5326
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mL46t8H4oU
-  http://democracynow.org/shows/2010/6/25

And these excellent articles:
- http://toronto.mediacoop.ca/story/erosion-rights-quick-descent/3886
- http://www.nowtoronto.com/guides/g20/2010/story.cfm?content=175686

For all your G8/20 indy media news/tweets/vids, go to the TO. Media Coop: http://2010.mediacoop.ca/
And the Toronto Community Mobilization Network: http://g20.torontomobilize.org/
And Rabble: http://rabble.ca/

Toronto citizens are demanding a full public inquiry and Bill Blair's resignation.

May you all be safe and free. And may the G8/20 go down in flames!

Press Conference on Wave of Political Repression sweeping city in recent hours

10am Monday June 28 @ 318R Harbord Ave
Toronto Media Coop

Jail Solidarity Rally Denouncing Police Violence

5:30 pm, Monday June 28th Toronto Police HQs, College and Yonge

Post G20 de-stress & detox
Pay What You Can!

Monday, 28 June, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Six Degrees Community Acupuncture, 192 Spadina Avenue, Suite 512 (5th floor)

Following the Days of Action Six Degrees Community Acupuncture will be offering a Pay What You Can drop in clinic from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. (last appointment at 5 p.m.) on Monday June 28th to offer de-stress and detox treatments to any protesters, organizers or individuals affected by the trauma of summits such as these. We will be able to see 6 people per hour, if you can call ahead to book that's great, or drop in when you can.

Our clinic is located at 192 Spadina Ave, 5th floor, suite 512 (north of Queen on the west side of Spadina) our phone number is 416.866.8484.
www.pokeme.ca

QUAIA Human Rights Event Connecting Histories of Colonial and Homophobic Oppressions
SEX INTER/NATIONAL (Take 2*): Queer Rights Activists In Conversation

Monday June 28, 7pm
Isabel Bader Theatre , 93 Charles Street (at University Ave), Museum subway
FREE, no tickets required

Join
HANEEN MAIKEY (Israel/Palestine)
COLIN ROBINSON (Trinidad and Tobago)
ANDIL GOSINE (Moderator, York University)

in an urgent and rare discussion on struggles for sexual liberation. You are invited to listen and participate in exploring questions on how queer communities are working for sexual rights, and against the pressures of homophobic nationalisms and heavy-handed gay internationalisms.
- How are Palestinian and Caribbean queer people negotiating their sexualities under difficult conditions?
- How are these struggles connected to histories of colonialism?
- What are the tensions that international queer solidarity efforts in Canada need to consider in supporting sexual rights work around the world?

This event is wheelchair accessible. ASL interpretation available
Sponsors: Queers Against Israeli Apartheid (QuAIA), Pride Coalition for Free Speech
For information: quaia.toronto at gmail.com

Wind down after the G-20 at the...

The Greenpeace Amchitka Concert (1970) - CD Release.

Monday, June 28. Doors open for dinner (optional) at 6 pm. Show starts at 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm.
Hugh's Room, 2261 Dundas Street West (in Roncevalles Village, just below Bloor, a five-minute walk south from the Dundas West subway. Free parking directly across the street).

Performers: Mike and Margo Timmins (Cowboy Junkies), Andy Maize and Josh Finlayson (Skydiggers), Mary Margaret O'Hara, Lee Harvey Osmond (Blackie and the Rodeo Kings, formerly of Junkhouse) Barbara Lynch and John Timmins, The Divine Sarah Slean, Caroline Brooks (The Good Lovelies). Oh Suzanna, Jory Nash, Mia Sheard (our musical emcee) and introducing Brighid Fry.

$22 in advance, $25 at the door. Call 416-531-6604, or go to www.hughsroom.com

To promote our new two-disc CD: Amchitka, the 1970 concert that launched Greenpeace as we move towards our 40th anniversary year (2011). Each act will sing one song from the CD and one of their own. The Amchitka CD will be sold exclusively at the show.

FOR MORE on Amchitka, the 1970 concert that launched Greenpeace go to www.amchitka-concert.com
Reserve now, limited seating!

Cancel the Corporate Tax Cuts
Wed. June 30, 11.45 am
7 Queens Park Crescent (North east corner of College and University)

This Canada Day, while the rest of us will be paying higher taxes on home heating, electricity bills, and more, big business will be starting to enjoy one of the world's lowest corporate tax rates.

Join us for 45 minutes as we deliver a giant invoice to the Ontario Minister of Finance, Dwight Duncan, to demand the government return the $2.4 billion a year in tax breaks to big business, scheduled to come in on July 1, 2010.

The McGuinty government cries poor when it threatens to sell off our  profitable public assets, like Ontario Hydro.  The government also throws its hands in the air when we ask for funding to tackle climate change, improve public transit, reduce hospital wait times, or keep our schools open. Yet the government has buckets of money when corporations come asking  for tax cuts. Even businesses that move jobs offshore get the tax break.

Both the provincial and federal governments are rolling in deeper corporate tax cuts over the next three to five years. At the same time, they want us to tighten our belts and weather massive cuts to public services. It is critical that we build public momentum to reverse this trend and ensure we can afford good jobs and public services for all. It is our money, and we want it back.

For more info contact Jessica Bell at jbell at labourcouncil.ca 416 937 0076

Psychiatric Survivor Archives, Toronto (PSAT) 4th Annual General Meeting

Sat. July 3, from 1-5 PM
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education/U of T – OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, 5th floor, rm. # 5-230 (atop the St. George subway station)

Psychiatric survivors/consumers/current/former patients and allies are welcome to attend PSAT’s AGM to hear a report on past activities, discuss future directions and elect board members for the year ahead.

This meeting is wheelchair accessible.
Refreshments will be available.
For more information please call: 416-661-9975.
http://www.psychiatricsurvivorarchives.com/

Yogapalooza: Peace, Love and Pride in Queen's Park

Sunday, 04 July, 12:30 - 13:30 p.m.
Queen's Park- Peace Garden

Toronto's Biggest Yoga Class EVER- and It's Free.

Join us for a unique celebration of music, movement and meditation for Human Rights led by renowned Yogi, Salimah Kassim-Lakha. Grab your mat and bring your friends to Queen’s Park.

Register at http://yogavision.com/yogapalooza
Official Pride Event

Just in time, an activist school at Ryerson
Starting June 28 and running for 8 weeks, the Gindin Chair and the Chang School for Continuing Education will co-sponsor an activist school called Community Engagement Course. The program will cover two main areas, Invisible History of Social Movements and Transformational Strategies. Animators include: Judy Rebick, Annahid Dashtgaard, Corvin Russel, Akua Benjamin, and Alan Sears
See full program and register here: http://transformingpower.ca/en/blog/just-time-activist-school-ryerson

ROOM  for  RENT in LOFT
$600 – all inclusive - JULY 1ST
Warehouse @ Ossington & Dupont

all inclusive - hydro, electricity, internet, shared land-line, water, bike parking • loft bed • ceiling fan • close to transit • laundry in bldg • FIRST & LAST months rent & refundable key deposit • no cigarette smoke • great open kitchen concept/passionate about cooking!! • semi-shared food (bulk) • respectful about keeping the house tidy & clean • sharing space with 3 others
Open mind / Open mic.....
@
weekly house meetings/dinners to share your concerns • good communicator & LISTENer • we’re interested in political issues, alternative modalities • very passionate about food, yoga, art & biking! • Interested in long term stay (1yr plus) • GLBT friendly, positive focus, non-hierarchical orientated • large shared common space used for community events, film screenings, yoga classes etc from time to time with everyones knowledge & consent • strong community & socially concious vibe :)
Call for viewing & details now!

416.732.8965
pei.czech at gmail.com

 TCAT Presents Bloor Street Study at Toronto Cycling Advisory Committee
TCAT Director Nancy Smith Lea gave a presentation on Clean Air Partnership’s study “Bike Lanes, On-Street Parking and Business, Year 2 Report: A Study of Bloor Street in Toronto's Bloor West Village" to the Toronto Cycling Advisory Committee on June 7, 2010.

The committee made this decision following the presentation: "The Toronto Cycling Advisory Committee advises the General Manager, Transportation Services Division, that the Toronto Cycling Advisory Committee, as part of the upcoming Bloor/Danforth RFP process, supports the establishment of a continuous bike lane along the entire Bloor/Danforth corridor and that the noted bike lane be added to the Bikeway Network."

Yay TCAT!

Making the Environment a Priority this Election

Over the coming months, TEA will be working hard to ensure that the environment is a priority among the mayoral and council candidates. In February, TEA launched a Municipal Election campaign focusing on six environmental priorities and since then we've received the endorsement of nearly 40 organizations.  By adding your name to the list, we will be able to show candidates that we have many people who share our vision for the next council.

Our election team is meeting with candidates, attending debates and events, and closely monitoring the candidate platforms. Watch out for report cards, candidate surveys, events and a mayoral debate! Volunteer with TEA's election team.

http://torontoenvironment.org/voteto/priorities

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in