TO. Greenspiration Events: Spirit of Democracy

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Jul 19 00:02:31 EDT 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

- Pass this onto a friend! - angela

---------------------------------------

SOCIAL TRANSFORMATION THROUGH NONVIOLENCE

Mon. July 19, 7 p.m.
At Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave., St. George Subway station (1 block east of St.
George, 2 blocls north of Bloor)
Donation $8 ($5 sliding scale)

Empowering activists and building a mass movement through nonviolence  – with Dave
Martin of Greenpeace, Angela Bischoff of Greenspiration, and Lyn Adamson of
PeaceWorks, what will it take for nonviolent social transformation? What are the
methods and strategies?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SPIRIT OF DEMOCRACY

Brief vigil every Monday at lunch time.

At noon. For however long - could be 15 minutes.  Could be an hour....
South Queen's Park lawn

Wearing white - even if only a white scarf or armband.
Silent, or quietly praying, singing, chanting, chatting.... Nothing loud.
Sitting or standing.... or sacred circle dancing......
With a very small sign: "Spirit of Democracy".
May also have another small sign with name of one of those still in prison.
Please join us if you can.  All welcome.

For more info: Kate katechung17 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

STOP BUG BITES NON-TOXICALLY

Monday July 19, 7:30 to 9:30pm
at Anarres Natural Health Clinic, Ossington and College

Read more about it here: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/822

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
STOP THE SPECIAL DIET CUT - RAISE WELFARE/ODSP RATES NOW!
Meal, Rally and Action: Fightback Against the Special Diet Cut!
Wednesday July 21
12 noon
Ministry of Community and Social Services, 900 Bay Street, Toronto

G20 leaders, the Federal Tories, and the Provincial Liberals think that they can offload deficits on to poor people by cutting funding to programs that we need and gutting the public sector. They are trying to force us to pay for a crisis we didn’t create. In the same way that we came together on June 25th – 27th, we can and must do it again as the government begins to implement austerity measures on the local level. We have to resist them every step of the way; when they say cutback – we say FIGHT BACK!

Get involved in July 21st: Contact OCAP to organize outreach in your neighborhood or to build for a bus or contingent on the day.

www.ocap.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
SUPER SIZE ME

Documentary screening

Wed., July 21, 9pm
Harbourfront Centre, outdoors on the Sirius Stage
Free
More Info: http://www.vivavegie.org/101book/text/nolink/social/supersizeme.htm
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
THE END OF POVERTY?
– A feature length documentary film

Thur. July 22, 6:30 - 10 pm.
Hart House, East Common Room, U of T

The End of Poverty? is a daring, thought-provoking and very timely documentary by
award-winning filmmaker, Philippe Diaz, revealing that poverty is not an accident.
It began with military conquest, slavery and colonization that resulted in the
seizure of land, minerals and forced labor. Today, global poverty has reached new
levels because of unfair debt, trade and tax policies -- in other words, wealthy
countries exploiting the weaknesses of poor, developing countries.

The End of Poverty? asks why today 20% of the planet's population uses 80% of its
resources and consumes 30% more than the planet can regenerate?
The film has been selected to over 25 international film festivals and will be
released in theatres in November 2009. Directed by Philippe Diaz, produced by Cinema
Libre Studio with the Robert Schalkenbach Foundation

http://www.theendofpoverty.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

THEATRE OF THE OPPRESSED WORKSHOP

Process the events of the G20 meeting through participatory theatre

Thur. July 22, 7 p.m.
At Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave., St. George Subway station (1 block east of St.
George, 2 blocls north of Bloor)
$15 ($7 sliding scale)

With Naomi Tessler from Theatre of the Oppressed

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in