TO. Greenspiration Events: solidarity

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 25 21:28:46 EDT 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

- Pass this onto a friend! - angela

---------------------------------------
VIGIL FOR G20 JUSTICE – ‘Spirit of Democracy’

South Queen's Park lawn, every Monday at noon.

We will be there, whoever is able.  Please join us, friends. For however long - Could be 15 minutes.  Could be an hour....
Wear white - even if only a white scarf or armband or flower.
Silent, or quietly praying, singing, chanting, chatting....  Nothing loud.
Sitting or standing.... or sacred circle dancing......
Someone might have a small sign: "Spirit of Democracy".
All welcome.
For more info: Kate katechung17 at gmail.com
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Solidarity: July 26th Celebration of the Cuban Revolution Day

Monday July 26, 5:30 PM
Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto.

   On July 26th, 1953 the Cuban people attacked the Moncada and the Carlos Manuel de Céspedes garrisons, symbols of the tyranny and occupation of Cuba under the U.S. puppet regime of Batista.

   Although the attack was defeated, it raised the banner of struggle, which would lead to the victory of the Cuban Revolution. We celebrate with the added joy of seeing Fidel Castro, the historical leader of the Cuban Revolution, in an ever combative but convincing exchange of ideas on international issues live.

A political/cultural evening with:
* MASTER OF CEREMONIES - Fidelito
* WELCOMING REMARKS - Raúl Delgado Concepción, the Honorable Consul of Cuba in Toronto
* MUSIC & POETRY *
Poetic Voices/Voces Poéticas - Indigenous/Hispanic
Zuviri - Top finalist in the “Toronto Latin Star” talent contest | Arnold H. Itwaru - Poet, Former Director, Caribbean Studies-University of Toronto ...and last but not least! Live Cuban Band - The Clave Kings

Organized by: Toronto Forum on Cuba | La Asociación de Cubanos Juan Gualberto Gómez |PDF poster
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
On Privilege and Protest - another catalytic conversation

Mon. Jul6 26, 4 – 5:30 pm
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West 7th floor in Peace Lounge (St. George subway station)

Reflecting on what happened in our city around the G8/G20 and continues to happen, difficult questions need to be asked:
Who was surprised by the police violence when every day in our world people are subjected to this kind of brutality?
What makes us think that the same kind of brutality exacted on Aboriginal communities and other so called minority communities would never be turned on never be turned on mainstream communities, i.e. those with unjust privilege?
Who is ‘us'?
In order to prepare for this conversation we invite you to review Chapter 3 from Starhawk's Truth or Dare - Fierce Love: Resisting the Weapons the Culture Has Devised against the Self
For more info: deborah_konecny at yahoo.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
BIXI launch
Wed. July 28, 7 p.m.
Gladstone Hotel (on Queen West)

We're launching in Toronto and throwing a party to celebrate! This is also a chance to sign up for a Bixi Toronto annual membership. We need to have at least 1000 sign-ups before Nov. 30. It's just $95 (less than one TTC Metropass).
Bixi bike sharing is a low cost public bike sharing system that will be launched in Toronto in May 2011. The system will feature 80 "stations" throughout downtown Toronto with a total of 1000 bikes available for rent. Any bike can be picked up at any station and dropped off at any other station - allowing for quick low-cost trips around downtown Toronto.
Find out more about BIXI:  www.toronto.bixi.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Oil, the Future and the Gulf

Wed. July 28, 6:45 pm, Toronto City Hall, Committee Room 3.

The Gulf of Mexico disaster is a calamity and could be a "game changer". On the one hand the Gulf fisheries and wetlands and coast line for thousands of kilometres are being degraded, even destroyed. In addition to the insult and injury to life this represents this also represents the destruction of a major food source and a great deal of employment. On the other side of the equation 25% of U.S. oil comes from the Gulf. This represents a major energy source as well as a great deal of corporate profits and employment. How will U.S. decision makers square this circle?

Part 1: Post Carbon Toronto's Randy Park will give a quick review of peak oil and relate the importance of energy to some real life examples. Drawing on his work as a professional speaker, author, and foresight facilitator he will also discuss why most people have a hard time understanding and accepting energy decline.
Part 2: Post Carbon Toronto's Jeff Berg will give an update on the Gulf of Mexico tragedy, and the many reports over the last two years confirming both peak oil's reality as well as its imminence.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/PostCarbonTorontoMeetup/calendar/14041770/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Eat In @ City Hall: Food is an election issue

Thur. July 29 · 12:30pm - 1:00pm *
At the City Hall Green Roof, walk right up the ramp!

Food needs to be an election issue in our city.  We have far too many citizens that do not have access to healthy food options, but a number of opportunities
to make Toronto a food forward city. Bring your lunch (preference to local, sustainable of course!), some friends and come for a casual discussion of food as a top issue in the 2010 municipal election.

Let's show our candidates that we care about developing better access to food, supporting urban agriculture and creating local food jobs.

Who can think of a better way to spend a lunch hour than eating & talking food and exploring Toronto's new green roof (sample the mint and chives). Municipal and school board candidates are most welcome to join.

* This event is weather permitting.  If it rains we will hold on Wednesday, Aug 4, same time.

Attend on Facebook: http://bit.ly/foodforwardfb
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pushfoodforward
Email: foodforwarded at gmail.com
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Critical Mass Ride
Fri. July 30 (and the last Friday of every month)
meet at 6 p.m. at Bloor/Spadina (leave closer to 6:30 p.m)
Ride en masse in safety and joy with hundreds of other 2-wheelers!
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
A Blooming Business
screening, 52 min, Netherlands/ Kenya

Fri. July 30, 6:45pm
Gardiner Museum, 111 Queen’s Park
PWYC (pay-what-you-can) admission

http://www.planetinfocus.org/pif-365/mixed-greens-monthly-screening*

The roses we enjoy may come with more thorns than we realize. Delving deep into the heart of the global flower industry, A BLOOMING BUSINESS shows us
the difficult reality behind the pretty flowers. In Kenya, giant flower factories use massive amounts of pesticides and chemicals to keep their
flowers alive and then pollute the local water supply, harming the very same people they employ. An investigation reveals the horrific working conditions
and sexual abuse that the workers must endure in order to keep their job. A BLOOMING BUSINESS explores the human and environmental repercussions of the
floral industry. A rose may no longer smell as sweet.

Check out the Blooming Business trailer <http://planetinfocus.createsend3.com/t/r/l/pnyuy/ykkttrurj/i>*

An Official Selection from our 2009 Film Festival, Come early and enjoy 2-for-1 admission to the Museum, or come only for the screening and pay what
you can. Mixed Greens at the Gardiner Museum happens the last Friday of every month, 6:45pm.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Registration is now open for:

Climate Change Summit 2010

Aug. 13 – 15, at Hart House, U of T

Three days of climate science and solutions -- no sugar coating.
With Bill McKibbon, Andrew Weaver, Elizabeth May and more

Presented by U of T Greens and Toronto-Danforth Federal Green Party. It is a non-partisan event open to everyone.
http://ccc-2010.ca/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
13th Annual Social Justice Summer Retreat:
“After the Crash: Creating Responses to Growing Inequalities"

Thursday, August 26th to Sunday, August 29rd, Camp Arowhon, AlgonquinPark

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!
Early bird registration available until July 31th, 2010.

Please visit www.socialjustice.org for more information and online registration.

This annual event brings together people from a variety of social movements – activists from all walks of life. You, friends and family are invited to join us for a wonderful time of relaxation and renewal.

Please register online at: www.socialjustice.org/index.php?page=registration
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Is it safe to swim in Lake Ontario?

This summer, WaterKeeper wants you to know everything there is to know about your area beaches and to share your knowledge with friends, family, and neighbours. Thus, we bring you ….

7 Beach Revelations to Share With Your Friends and Family This Summer

http://www.waterkeeper.ca/2010/07/22/7-beach-revelations-to-share-with-your-friends-and-family-this-summer/

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in