TO. Greenspiration Events: Tooker's birthday parteee

angela bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 8 20:26:51 EDT 2010

TORONTO GREENSPIRATION EVENTS

Join me on Thursday (see deets below) for cake and browsing at the Tooker
Gomberg Memorial Library.

Pass this onto a friend! - angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vigil for G20 Justice – ‘Spirit of Democracy’

A small vigil has been held at Queen's Park every Monday at noon since the
G20, calling on all levels of government to demonstrate integrity and stop
the slide toward fascism.

If you can, please join us this Monday August 9 at noon for one last
vigil. And let's explore ideas about where we go from here.

We wear white - even if only a white scarf or armband or flower.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

For more info contact Kate: katechung17 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Renewable Progress: Can the Grid Go Green?

Catch Jeremy Rifken on Steve Paiken’s The Agenda during the entire week of
Aug. 9-13
On TVO at 8 p.m.
broadcast throughout Ontario, but I believe all the programs will be
available on tvo.org/theagenda

Aug. 9-13

MONDAY
Jeremy Rifkin: The Origins of Progress The evolution of progress, from its
infancy in the dark ages to the enlightenment.
The Debate: The Myths of Digital Literacy As Facebook, Twitter and the
internet change how we communicate, how does that affect literacy?

TUESDAY
Jeremy Rifkin: Technological Progress From the industrial revolution to
today, how has our perception of progress changed? And at what cost?
The Debate: Green Auto Lies Green machines. Good for the environment? Or
simply fueling demand? Is the greening of North America's auto sector for
real?

WEDNESDAY
Jeremy Rifkin: Renewable Progress How our changing relationship with the
environment is bringing our empathic nature to the forefront.
The Debate: Can the Grid Go Green? Are environmentalists right? Can
Ontario meet its future energy needs without building big new power
plants?

THURSDAY
Jeremy Rifkin: Redefining Progress How do we define progress? Is one
person's version of progress the same as another's?
The Debate: Robotics Revolution How will robotics change us and our lives?
Will AI driven robots put us on an accelerated evolutionary path? Why
would we want a more heavily robotized society? Do we have a choice in the
matter?

FRIDAY
Jeremy Rifkin: The Empathic Civilization The Empathic Civilization author
Jeremy Rifkin will explain how society needs to shift in order to embrace
its empathic nature.
The Debate: Time for Open Government? The value of transparency in
government. Will open government lead to better government?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Prisoners' Justice Day
International day of solidarity for those who've died in prisons.

Tues. Aug. 10, 11 - 6 p.m.
Trinity Square
Free

On August 10th, 1974, prisoner Eddie Nalon bled to death in the
segregation unit of Millhaven Maximum Security Prison in Bath, Ontario.
One year later, prisoners at Millhaven refused to work, went on a one day
hunger strike and held a memorial service, even though it meant time in
solitary confinement. Tuesday, August 10th marks the annual Prisoners
Justice Day - a day to critically examine Canada's criminal justice and
psychiatric systems.

For more info: canadianharmreduction.com

For special Prisoners' Justice Day radio programs, tune into CHRY
(105.5FM), http://chry.fm on Tues. noon - 6 p.m.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

You’re invited to Tooker Gomberg’s Birthday Partee at the:

Tooker Gomberg Memorial Library

Thur. Aug. 12, noon – 6 p.m.
At the Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina (at Queen), 4th floor,
Toronto

Enjoy homemade b-day cake while perusing 800+ of Tooker’s own books –
everything from activism to urban design, transportation, energy,
biodiversity and eco-novels

Free, all welcome.

Get your copy of A Friction to the Machine: the writings of Tooker
Gomberg, second edition

Or visit the library Mon – Fri, 9:30 a.m – 6 p.m. Books are available for
loan.

For more info: greenspi at web.ca, http://greenspiration.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protest - Freedom for the Mapuche Political Prisoners on Hunger Strike!

Thur. Aug. 12, 5 - 7 p.m.
Toronto Chilean Consulate, 2 Bloor Street West

The Mapuche Political Prisoners across so-called southern Chile have
undertaken a liquid hunger strike throughout the country which began on
July 12th, 2010, in El Manzano Prison demanding the immediate release of
ALL Mapuche Political Prisoners, the Abolition of Military Courts, and the
Abolition of the Anti-Terrorist Law.

Freedom for the Mapuche Political Prisoners Resisting on Hunger Strike to
State Terrorism!
Abolish the Antiterrorist Law and Military Justice!
Stop the Militarization of Mapuche Territory!
No One is Free Until Every Person is Free!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=140087532691288

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Bike 2010

Bike! Bike! is an international annual conference organized by and for
not-for-profit bike projects. It takes place in a different city each
year. This year it will be hosted by Bike Pirates in Toronto, Ontario,
Canada - Aug. 12 -15

There will be an assortment conference workshops geared towards helping
bike projects better serve their local communities. There will also be
social events to foster networking and fun.

http://www.bikebike.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change Summit 2010

Aug. 13 – 15, at Hart House, U of T

Three days of climate science and solutions -- no sugar coating.
With Bill McKibbon, Andrew Weaver, Elizabeth May and more

Presented by U of T Greens and Toronto-Danforth Federal Green Party. It is
a non-partisan event open to everyone.
http://ccc-2010.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

7th Annual
Blackout Anniversary Ride

Sat. Aug. 14, 8:30 p.m. gather, leave 9:15 p.m.
Bloor and Spadina parkette

Bring: friends, family, flashlights, sense of fun – and street dancin’
shoes
 just in case

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pedestrian Sunday in Kensington

Sun. Aug. 15, noon - 10 p.m.
Kensington Market
Free

Celebrate the blackout anniversary on the car-free streets of the Market.

pskensington.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

M.U.C.K. ‘MOVIES OF UNCOMMON KNOWLEDGE’
Film Festival Series

The Royal - 608 College Street
Sunday August 15

3:00 pm Pray the Devil Back to Hell

A story of great courage of Muslim and Christian women in Liberia who
decide to work together to end the country’s bloody civil war and bring
peace back to a country in ruins. Through long-term non-violence combined
with emphatic protests, women from different backgrounds demonstrate that
spontaneous activism can change the history of a nation.
A commanding, inspiring, and emotionally stirring documentary about the
futility of war and the splendors of peace.

5:00 pm MUCK Shorts

7:30 pm Ungrateful Dead: In Search of International Justice

This is the first film about a crucial new international commitment to
International Rule of Law and Justice, so victims will no long suffer
without being heard, and war criminals will not go unpunished.

The voices of victims have echoed down through
the decades, refusing to be silent, even in death. Joined by relatives who
are unable to move on, until they know how their loved ones died.
Different languages from different places, but with the same universal
theme; begging to be delivered from the torment of living somewhere
between life and death.

It is because of these voices that
International Justice has been reborn. In 2002 the International Criminal
Court was established in The Hague. So far 100 countries have signed on to
the Court's mandate. However, the world's remaining superpower, the United
States remains strongly opposed.

Check out the M.U.C.K. catalogue, movie trailers, show times, dates, film
descriptions and more: www.muckfilmfestival.com
Tickets $10 per screening or $20 for all 3 screenings

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anarchist Free University Workshop:
Preparing and Proposing a Course

Sunday, August 15th, 6-8pm

Linux Cafe (back space), 318 Harbord, on Jersey one block E of cafe

This workshop is open to anyone interested in learning how to prepare and
plan a course. The focus will be on courses in a free school environment,
in particular the AFU, but anyone interested in teaching and education is
also welcome to benefit and contribute to discussion. If you’ve ever
considered teaching a course at the AFU, this will help you get started!

Together we will discuss ways to develop a plan of action for teaching.
The information you will receive will help you organize a course for the
AFU or anywhere you

Topic discussed will include : choosing a course topic, what kind of class
format/structure? writing a course description, the proposal process for
the AFU, strategies for supporting course content, group facilitation
techniques

The Anarchist Free University is an open, volunteer-run, non-hierarchical
collective that organizes community events, workshops free of cost to
alldemocratic models of education, structure and process.

Please check website for details and changes: 647 547 3969 www.anarchistu.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

THE RIDE FOR RENEWABLES

On Tuesday, August 24th, Greenpeace Canada is organizing THE RIDE FOR
RENEWABLES, a 45km bike trip from the Pickering Nuclear Station to the
Darlington Nuclear Station.

THE RIDE RENEWABLES will send the message to Dalton McGuinty's Liberals
that when Pickering Nuclear Station shuts down, Ontarians demand a green
energy replacement, not more reactors at the Darlington Station. No more
dirty, dangerous, and expensive nukes; Ontario .

Find out more and register for the bus ride out to Pickering:
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/event.php?eid=124793684233089
Or contact: steve.cornwell at greenpeace.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

13th Annual Social Justice Summer Retreat:
“After the Crash: Creating Responses to Growing Inequalities"

Thursday, August 26th to Sunday, August 29rd, Camp Arowhon, AlgonquinPark

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!
Early bird registration available until Aug. 10

Please visit www.socialjustice.org for more information and online
registration.

This annual event brings together people from a variety of social
movements – activists from all walks of life. You, friends and family are
invited to join us for a wonderful time of relaxation and renewal. Buses
from downtown Toronto.

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in