T.O. Greenspiration Events: Ride for Renewables Toronto

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 26 22:17:22 EDT 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events

- Pass this onto a friend! - angela
---------------------------------------
OneToronto Emergency Public Meeting

Monday, September 27, 7:30 pm

Church of the Holy Trinity -- 10 Trinity Square (behind the Eaton Centre)

For those of you who are very worried about what's happening in the municipal election, attend this emergency meeting where people from the various communities (eg. arts, social equity, environmental, labour) will be getting together to figure out how to change the channel on the election. Visit www.onetoronto.ca for details.
This upcoming municipal election is about the future of Canada’s largest urban centre, especially now that front-runner Rob Ford is targeting different wards to achieve a city council majority.  A coalition of citizens and organizations has come together under the banner of the OneToronto to offer a different vision for the City: a city that builds on its successes, cares for its neighbours, and does its part to protect the environment and values community.

If you are on facebook, share the onetoronto.ca page with everyone you know. For more information: info at onetoronto.ca 416 937-9378
Get involved. Ask questions. Talk to your neighbours. Get engaged in a local campaign. Vote. http://www.onetoronto.ca/

p.s. Rob Ford on cycling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySs1cEq5rs&feature=player_embedded
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Non Toxic Living for Women
Mon. September 27, 6 to 9pm
Follow Your Bliss Yoga Studio, 25 Grange Ave, (Dundas and Spadina)
Don't worry; be healthy! From phthalates and plastics, to parabens and PCBs, we'll discuss the toxins that commonly plague us in our environment and about simple, immediate solutions that will benefit our health and our planet. We will discuss common household cleaning, bath, baby and beauty products that can easily be replaced with healthful products you can make yourself, or buy locally. You'll come away with your own list of easy, life enhancing changes you can start making today, and the information you need to make healthy decisions for you and your family. Please feel free bring along some of your favorite personal care products and find out what really lies within! Together we can also look consider:

~ added information and discussion of hormone disruptors and reproductive effects.
~ The Diva Cup and Keeper and other healthy alternatives to conventional pads and tampons.
~ conventional cosmetics marketed to women, and the alternatives

OPTIONAL Potluck vegetarian dinner - please bring to share
For more info and to register: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/872
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Resistance through Art – Fighting to win! (Workshop)

Mon. September 27, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
York Concert and Social Justice Fair

No One Is Illegal - Toronto is a grassroots movement for migrant justice that fights for justice and freedom for all migrants particularly those that live without immigration status. We struggle against the military and economic systems that displace and exploit people and the deportation and detention machinery that pulls apart families and forces people to live in fear. Come join an art and design work and learn hands-on about the history of anti-capitalist anti-colonial struggle for migrant justice in Toronto.

Make your own T-shirts, flags, bandannas, cloth scraps, whatever! Choose from our designs or make one of your own and learn how you to build silk screens. Please bring something to print the designs on (T-shirts, bandannas, anything else)! As well as amazing amazing ideas!

Check out our most recent creative interventions by No One Is Illegal - Toronto at http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/477 andhttp://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/476
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
ONTARIO HEALTH COALITION

High-Level Briefing and Summit on Changes to Hospital Funding

Tues, September 28, 10:30am-3:30pm, Metro Central YMCA, 20 Grosvenor St
We will provide a briefing from experts in the U.K. and an update regarding plans of the Ontario government. What do the changes to fee-for-service hospital funding mean? What can we do about it?

tel: 416-441-2502 fax: 416-441-4073 email: ohc at sympatico.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Can All You Can - Preserving Workshop
Tuesday September 28th, 6 - 8:30 p.m., registration starting at 5:30

Parkdale Neighbourhood Church at 201 Cowan Avenue

The total cost for the workshop is $30 for West End Food Co-op members or $35 for non-members (which includes the cost of a lifetime membership). Payment can be made in person at the workshop.

The workshop will be led by Heather Kilner, an expert preserver with many years of experience.

You will learn about the theory and practice of preserving, gain hands-on experience using a hot water bath canner, and leave with a jar of delicious preserves to take home with you. We will also take time to reflect on the meaning and significance of learning to preserve our own food, and our experiences of preserved food.

Please register online by visiting our website at westendfood.coop.

For more info: katie at westendfood.coop

Happy Canning!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Copyright: A View From Both Sides - Panel Discussion

Tues. September 28, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Centre for Social Innovation, Suite 120, 215 Spadina Avenue, Toronto
$5 at the door (includes a copy of Point of View magazine's new Fall TIFF issue)

The Documentary Organization of Canada (DOC), Point of View magazine (POV ) published by DOC and the Professional Writers Assocation of Canada (PWAC) are hosting a panel of  five media experts to discuss copyright vs. copyleft issues from different media-makers’ perspectives, in light of potential Bill C32 amendments coming this fall.  Sandy Crawley, the Executive Director of PWAC, will be moderating the panel. Panellists include David Fewer - Director of the Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, Cameron McMaster - DOC Policy and Research Coordinator, Philip Smith, founder of Community Bandwidth.

To reserve your space click here
For more info click here  or email Robin Koning, Point of View Production & Communications Manager or email Lauren Stewart, PWAC Associate Director

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

BENT – POLITICS

Tues. Sept. 28. 7 - 9 p.m.
The Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen W
Free.

Evening of queer expression featuring a panel discussion with community members running for city councillors.
For more info: 416-531-4635.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Discussion with Linda McQuaig & Neil Brooks: "The Trouble With Billionaires"

Tues. September28 · 6:00 - 8:30 pm
Student Center, SCC 115 - Ryerson University, 55 Gould St.
Free

The POG Debate Forum, Ryerson Students' Union, CESAR, and Penguin publishing are pleased to present award-winning journalist, and best-selling author LINDA McQuaig with tax law professor and author Neil Brooks on "The Trouble With Billionaires"!

An eye-opening and provocative discussion on the damage that extreme wealth is to equality, and to a healthy, functioning society.

For any questions please contact Liana at: vp.education at rsuonline.ca or The POG Debate Forum - Dawit, Tatiana, or Isaac at: POG at ryerson.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
~Film: Remembering Iinninimowin

Wednesday, September 29 @ 7:30 pm

at Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St., Toronto

Remembering Inninimowin is a two-year long documentary film project on the personal journey of a Cree woman, Jules Arita Koostachin, the documentarist, as she remembers her first language, Inninimowin (Cree). The work addresses the impacts of genocide on the Inninuwak, who have been systematically severed from their ancient language, Inninimowin. The film carefully embraces the sacred stories, ceremonial practices and the ancestral teachings of the Mushkegowuk.   Learn about about this film and the filmmaker.

email: info at beitzatoun.org
Visit for News and Events: www.beitzatoun.org; www.facebook.com/beitzatoun
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Disentangling the G20 ClusterF&%k

Wed. September 29, 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Rm. 313 in the Student Centre, York University

Still trying to wrap your head around with the G20? The teach-in will look at what happened before, during and after the G20. It will look at the issues communities organized around, as well as the commitments to austerity measures the G20 agreed upon and what it means for us.

Note: There will be donation buckets for the Legal Defence Fund, so please bring change!

FB Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=129317877114144
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Carbon Zero Event: Carbon and the Climate

Wed. September 29, 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
Centre for Social Innvation, Suite 120, 215 Spadina Ave.
Free, suggested donation $5 to United Way

Join Carbon Zero for this seminar that will introduce you to what our changing climate means for today's business. This one-hour event will give people a detailed understanding on greenhouse gases, how they're measured, managed and what governments, businesses and individuals are doing to reduce their emissions and prepare themselves for the low carbon future.

This seminar is presented by Howie Chong, founder of Carbonzero and an expert in greenhouse gas management, carbon credits and international climate policy.

For more info email Carbon Zero
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Toronto Mayoral Arts Debate

Wed. September 29, 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Art Gallery of Ontario, 317 Dundas St. W., Toronto

A not-to-be-missed event presented by Business for the Arts in partnership with ArtsVote Toronto, the Toronto Arts Council, the Art Gallery of Ontario and Manifesto.

For more info click here
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
A Question of Sovereignty - Film Screening
Council of Canadians, Toronto Chapter Monthly Meeting (Everyone Welcome)

Wednesday, September 29th, 7pm to 9pm
City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, Room #3

A Question of Sovereignty by Kevin P. Miller – Kevin will be joining us to discuss his film and answer questions.  We will also be discussing the Mayoral Election, and where the candidates stand on various issues.

In this patriotic and sentimental film, international award winning Writer/Director Kevin P. Miller GENERATION RX, WE BECOME SILENT) exposes how Canadians are being stripped of their personal sovereignty by government agencies — and how free trade deals and other international agreements imperil Canadian democracy.

Quietly, over a period of many years, unconstitutional legislation encompassed in Bills C-51, C-6, and the current Bill C-36 have placed not only basic civil liberties and freedoms at risk, but Canada's national sovereignty as well. The film shares how entangling alliances with groups like the World Trade Organization, the World Health Organization, Codex Alimentarius, the United States and even multinational corporate interests have become so powerful that they literally threaten to make elected officials in Parliament irrelevant.

A QUESTION OF SOVEREIGNTY discusses why this dramatic shift in the balance of power puts the nation and its people at a vital crossroad early in the 21st century — and why some of the past giants of Canadian politics may hold the answers to Canada's future.

http://www.aquestionofsovereignty.com/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The End of Poverty?- a feature length documentary

Wednesday, September 29 at 6:00pm
Bahen Centre, University of Toronto - Room 2159

This film by award-winning director, Philippe Diaz, explains how today's financial crisis is a direct consequence of unchallenged policies that have lasted centuries. It is filmed from the slums of Africa to the barrios of Latin America. "The End of Poverty?" features the insights of Nobel prize winning economists Sen and Stiglitz among other experts on whether we can really end poverty within our current economic system.

A discussion will follow about proposed solutions based on economic justice and political changes. In conjunction with the film's experts, a petition was developed to endorse 10 Solutions to End Poverty. Please sign athttp://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/10-solutions-to-end-poverty/

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149103561795110
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Cutting Deeper: The Age of Austerity and Implications for Health

Wednesday, September 29th, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Fitzgerald Building -- Room 103, 150 College Street

SPEAKERS:
Amina Ali - Organizing member of the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
David McNally - Professor of Political Science at York University
Ritika Goel - Organizing member of Health For All

This June amidst mass protests against the policies of the G20, world government leaders met behind fences and an unprecedented billion dollar security apparatus to announce their deepened commitment to, in Stephen Harper's words, an "Age of Austerity".

In Canada, we can expect these measures to translate into more cuts to social programming and further privatization of health and education services. Already, we have seen the slashing of welfare rates and the cutting of the Special Diet Allowance. Living in Canada during the Age of Austerity means witnessing the redirection of public tax dollars into the purchase of billions of dollars worth of fighter jets, the building of prisons and inflation of police budgets in order to fill those prisons. This is also while banks are bailed out, and CEOs and investors of large corporations continue to make record profits rather than a commitment to health.

The shift to the right in social and economic policies has devastating effects for all, but particularly for local indigenous, migrant and poor communities. However, this crisis also means a time of renewed commitment to creating strong viable alternatives that can resist and replace these measures, the forces and the politicians that put them in place.

From Greece to South Africa to Canada to South Korea, people are mobilizing against these attacks on our communities and our environment, seeking to create other possible futures that place people before profit.

What can we expect from this commitment to 'Austerity Measures’?
What will be the implications of these measures for the health of our communities?
And how are communities resisting these measures in order to protect their health and communal well-being?

Health For All is a multidisciplinary group of migrants, healthcare professionals, students, activists and allies. We believe health is a fundamental human right and a matter of social justice. Health requires not only access to services for maintaining physical and mental health, but requires full economic, social, environmental, and political rights for all people
http://www.facebook.com/l/7274btCb754HQvOn2pBP_yuGCJw;health4all.ca
healthforalltoronto at gmail.com
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eating Animals, by Jonathan Safran Foer - Book Signing

Wed. Sept. 29, noon
Indigo Eaton Centre, 220 Yonge
Free
chapters.indigo.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Let Them Stay! Status for All (Panel Discussion)

Thur. Sept. 30, 4:30 pm - 6 pm
Room 313, Student Centre, 4700 Keele Street, York University

In the context of the never-ending “War on Terror” refugees, migrants, and racialized people are increasingly being racially targeted, dehumanized as security threats, and criminalized through unprecedented police and state powers. Despite its rhetoric of ‘liberating’ and ‘protecting’ women globally and locally, the Canadian state is detaining an increasing numbers of women and children that cross these borders. In light of increasing repression and exclusionary policies and idelogies, we demand “Justice, Freedom, and Status for All!”

Followed by:
Continuous Journey (Film Screening)

Thur. Sep 30, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Room 313, Student Centre, York University

In 1914, the Komagata Maru, a ship carrying 376 immigrants from British India, was turned away by Canada. The consequences were felt throughout the British Empire. Continuous Journey is a compelling and eye-opening investigation into the past and present ramifications of this incident. Continuous Journey is a provocative, moving, and multilayered essay that interweaves photographs, newsreels, home movies and official documents to unravel a complex and little-known story that is more relevant today than ever.

No One Is Illegal-Toronto
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Get on the bus!

Join us on the yearly Toronto Community Food Animator Bus Tour. Get the dirt on beautiful community gardens, hear inspirational stories and feel the vibe at a new Good Food Market!

Thursday, September 30, 2010
1pm-6pm beginning at FoodShare, 90 Croatia St.

1:00pm: Gather at FoodShare (light refreshments)
2:15pm: Rockford Garden (city park)
3:10pm: Firgrove Garden (TCHC)
4:00pm: Shoreham Finch Garden (Shoreham PS)
5:15pm: Dinner in the garden at FoodShare
6:00pm: Finished

It's time for the yearly Toronto Community Food Animator Bus Tour where you can see and learn about amazing community-led food projects. Get the dirt on beautiful community gardens, hear inspirational stories and feel the vibe at a new Good Food Market!  And don't forget tasty food catered by Field to Table Catering. You will be introduced to engaging food projects and community leaders, and will have the opportunity to talk with politicians, funders, public health, and our project partners about the impact of these food projects and the political changes needed to bring Good, Healthy Food to all of Toronto.

Call Rachel at 416.363.6441 x 222 or email at urbanag at foodshare.net to confirm your attendance.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Art Spin

Thur. September 30th, Meet from 6:30pm – ride at 7PM sharp
Trinity Bellwoods Park at Queen St. & Strachan Ave.

Grab your bike and join us for the final Art Spin of the season on Thursday September 30th.
To get a glimpse of past events, watch this video courtesy of the Neighborhood Arts Network:

The final bicycle tour of the season will be an interactive and exciting adventure through Toronto’s west end art district visiting art galleries, artist’s studios and installations or performances in unique places. The September 30th tour of this hugely successful and incredibly popular art event promises to be our most exciting outing yet.

Art Spin meets at the gate to Trinity Bellwoods Park at Queen St. & Strachan Ave. The tour departs at 7pm sharp, and wraps up around 9:30pm with an after party to follow, light appetizers and drinks will be served, accompanied by live music. Join us at 6:30pm to Art-Up your bike and participate in the fix-it session courtesy of Bike Pirates. This is a free event, and anyone regardless of age or cycling ability is welcome.

For more information visit www.artspin.ca, email us at info at artspin.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Call for Action: The G20 Sucks! Our Condolences to South Korea

Fri. October 1 · 5:00 - 8:00pm
South Korean Consulate, 555 Avenue Road

October 1st- International Day of Action against the pre-Summit attack on Democratic and Human Rights in South Korea

Three months have passed since the G20 invaded Toronto. Behind miles of security fencing and lines of riot police, representatives from the world’s twenty richest countries and central bank governors met to discuss and further implement their policies of systemic exploitation and destruction. Citywide mobilizations greeted the summit as communities took to the streets in opposition to the G20 and everything it stands for.

Our resistance was met by state-sanctioned violence, police brutality, harassment, and intimidation. The criminalization of dissent is ongoing and our communities are still feeling the painful repercussions. The healing process will be a long one.

Unfortunately, the G20 continues and this upcoming November will spread its terror elsewhere. The legacy of the G20 summit, widespread repression, the targeting of community activists and the attacks on democratic and human rights will be brought to South Korea. To our allies and our friends organizing in Seoul we send our condolences.

For all they are currently going through, for all they will surely have to deal with as the summit approaches we send our condolences. We realize the G20 is nothing to celebrate, but rather something to ragefully mourn. And so, on October 1st, the ‘International Day of Action against the pre-Summit attack on Democratic and Human Rights in South Korea’ we will gather in front of the South Korean Consulate (555 Avenue rd.) at 5pm to deliver the following demands to the South Korean government:

1. The G20 Summit is NO excuse! Stop the crackdown on migrants, street vendors and homeless people!

2. Honour international labour standards and ILO recommendations! Stop labour repression and labour flexibilisation policies!

3. Repeal the “Special Law on the Safe Escort of the G20 Summit” and end repression of the rights to freedom of expression and assembly!

Come out in solidarity and show your support for all those organizing against the G20 in Seoul! Food will be served, and materials will be on hand to construct condolence cards and paper flowers that will be put together in a creative package to be sent to our comrades organizing in South Korea.

Background:
http://kctu.org/ActionAlerts/9842
http://g20.torontomobilize.org/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Hot Planet/ Cold Wars: Prescriptions for a Healthy Planet in Troubled Times

To understand the consequences of Climate Change and Nuclear Proliferation and work toward solutions.

Physicians, students, activists and members of the public are all welcome.

Fri. October 1- Panel Discussion 6 - 8:30 pm - Nuclear Disarmament, the State of Canada & the World - Free
Sat. October 2, 8:30 am to 5 pm
Medical Sciences Building, 1 Kings College Circle, University of Toronto

Registration:  $120 Canadian for Physicians ($100 for members), $40 for all others (or pay-what-you-can)

Online Poster:  http://pgs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/final-for-web-PGS-Poster-aug-2010.pdf
Agenda:  http://pgs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Agenda-for-Toronto2.pdf
Registration Form:  http://pgs.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Registration-form-for-Toronto-20102.pdf

Contact:  Andrea Levy pgsadmin at web.ca Tel: 613-233-1982
www.pgs.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Toronto Socialist Action Presents Rebel Films

Poor No More
2010, 53 min.

Friday, Oct. 1 - 7 p.m. P, 100 minutes.

Hosted by TV and film star Mary Walsh, Poor No More offers an engaging look at Canadians stuck in low paying jobs with no security and no future. It looks at the economic and anti-poverty policies of Ireland and Sweden. The film offers hope to those who have to work two jobs a day and to those who cannot find work. The film's executive producer David Langille, and Socialist Action federal secretary Barry Weisleder, will lead off an audience discussion of the documentary.OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-212 at the St. George Subway Station. Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.

Preceded by a brief introduction, and followed by a commentary and an open floor discussion period.
For more info: www.socialistaction-canada.blogspot.com or call 416 – 535-8779.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

OXFAM-JAM

Fri. Oct. 1, 8 pm.
O'Grady's Tap & Grill, 171 College
$5.

Open-mic fundraiser for Pakistan flood relief.
For more info: kkarenj.cao at live.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Striking Agaist the Cuts - Lessons From the Mike Harris Years

Friday October 1, 7 p.m.
Asteria Restaurant, 679 Danforth Ave, Toronto.

In the 1990s, an economic crisis was met by corporate tax cuts, and then sharp attacks on social services, jobs and wages, as working people were told that we had to pay for the crisis. If it sounds familiar, it should – the same story is unfolding today. But in Ontario in the 1990s, there was a magnificent fight-back, the peak of which was the 2-week illegal 1997 teachers’ strike against the Mike Harris Tories. Come hear two veterans of those picket lines – PAM JOYNER and ALI AWALI – talk about their experiences, and discuss the lessons for today.

For more info and to get readings e-mail papedanforth at gmail.com | A study group organized by the Pape/Danforth International Socialists | Facebook event
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
WindFest • Toronto's Waterfront Kite Festival

Sat. October 2 · 11:00am - 4:00pm
Woodbine Beach • Ashbridges Bay

Join hundreds of kite flyers, expert kite-flying demonstrations and workshops on kite making, clean energy and conservation as well as activities just for kids!

WindFest is a chance to celebrate autumn, wind power, and the breathtaking art of kite flying, on Toronto's largest beach!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113494792032574&ref=ts
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Free Transit Street Party!

Sat. Oct. 2 , 1:00-4:00
In Christie Pits Park off of Bloor St. (Across the street from the Christie subway stop.)

No Fare Is Fair!

Come to the park to celebrate the campaign to win free and accessible transit for the GTA. Food, music, puppets, entertainment and more.

More information or to get involved contact: nofareisfair at gmail.com

A project of the Greater Toronto Workers Assembly  http://www.workersassembly.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

VEGAN BAKE-OFF

Sat. Oct. 2, 2 - 4:30 pm
Harbourfront Community Centre, 627 Queens Quay W
Free

The vegan community shows off their baking skills in celebration of World Vegetarian Day.

For more info: 416-544-9800
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Toronto Palestine Film Festival 2010

Sat. Oct. 2 - Fri. Oct 8

We’re excited to announce that the Toronto Palestine Film Festival (TPFF) will be returning for its third year from October 2-8, 2010.

TPFF is a non-profit organization dedicated to bringing vibrant Palestinian cinema to GTA audiences. Our mandate is to promote the richness of Palestinian Arab culture through cinema, music, and other forms of visual arts. TPFF was conceived in 2008 to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Al-Nakb...a.

For general inquiries about TPFF please visit www.tpff.ca or email us at info at tpff.ca.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Ride for Renewables – Toronto

Sun. Oct 3, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (10:30 a.m. if you need quick bike repairs)
Meet at the wind turbine at Exhibition Place, end in the beaches.
Free. All cyclists welcome.

We'll visit 6 green energy projects including wind, solar thermal, solar PV, geothermal, CHP and conservation.
Speakers and snacks en route. Get inspired for your 10/10/10 work party!  350.org

For more info: greenspi at web.ca ph. 647 342 1964
Sponsored by: Toronto Climate Campaign, Greenspiration, Toronto Renewable Energy Cooperative, Greenpeace, Toronto Cyclists Union, 10/10/10 -350.org
facebook page
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Venezuela Votes: Eyewitness to a People in Struggle

Sun. Oct. 3 · 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Centre for Social Justice, 489 College Street (south side, just west of Bathurst St.)

Eyewitness Reports and Open Discussion

Speakers:
Raul Burbano, reporting back from Venezuela on September 26 national elections
Nicolas Lopez , recently returned from visit to his Venezuelan homeland.

For ten years, the revolutionary process in Venezuela has been an inspiration to the peoples of Latin America and the world.

Washington hates Chavez because his government has raised living standards for the poor and will not bow to the giant corporations. It has enacted land and oil industry reform, improved education and provided universal health care. It has introduced job training, subsidies to single mothers, drug prevention programs, and assistance for recovering addicts. Illiteracy has been wiped out.

The United Nations Commission on Latin America and the Caribbean found that Venezuela has the most equal income distribution in the region. It has reduced inequality by more than any other country in Latin America.

However, Venezuela's September 26 national elections are taking place at a time of heightened attacks on this process by the U.S. government and its backers. International agencies are reportedly investing more than $40 million in the opposition to the Chavez and his supporters.

Come to an open discussion of the election results, the gains of Venezuela's revolutionary process, and the challenges it faces.

Sponsors: Venezuela We Are With You Coalition (CVEC); Barrio Nuevo; Centre for Social Justice
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
SHAMELESS

Sun. Oct. 3, 3-6 pm.
Toronto Free Gallery, 1277 Bloor W
$5 (inlcudes copy)

The feminist magazine celebrates its fall cycling issue with a party.
shamelessmag.com.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
SPACE in Artist's LOFT bldg

+ $600 all inclusive – room 160 sq' (hydro, electricity, internet, shared land line, water) in 1,500 sq' space
+ interested in political/social justice issues +building community & new DIY interactive modalities
+ eco-friendly 'bright GREEN' environmentally aware & mindful at home, in your community & globally
+ maturity, responsible, respectful, conscious, reliable, financially stable
+ shared with 2 others
+ love cooking preparing teaching entertaining & experimenting - nutritious ALIVE tasty healthful FOOD!!
416.732.8965 9am-12midnight pei.czech at gamil.com

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/roo/1974162592.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Keep the TTC Public

 The Public Transit Coalition (PTC) has launched a major multimedia campaign with a very simple message: privatizing public transit will be a disaster for Toronto. This is in response to mayoral candidates who have mused about public-private partnerships and outsourcing for the TTC.

The campaign, titled "Keep TTC Public," includes a 30-second television ad, a website - KeepTTCPublic.ca, and a compelling video, narrated by Canadian actor Eric Peterson, that explores Toronto's transit history and details the problems with transit privatization in Melbourne, Aukland, London (England), and Vancouver.

Visit KeepTTCPublic.ca to learn more.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mayoral Candidate Joe Pantalone releases environmental platform

http://www.mayorjoe.ca/2010/09/22/roll-out-the-green-carpet-joe-pantalones-plan-for-growing-a-green-economy/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in